PDA

View Full Version : help

magluver
12-01-2002, 01:33 PM
im a proud owner of a classic automag that i purchased about 10 yrs. ago.i used to play alot im my teens, but i havent in a long time up untill this past weekend.i forgot how much i loved this sport.when i stopped playing, i heard about this new gas for the guns called N2(nitro).anyway nine yrs. later,it seems its use is a lot more popular,a couple of people told me about its effectivness in the cold.im looking to convert over to N2 from CO2.is there anything i need to do to the gun to modify it,should i still use the expansion tank?its currently winter up here in ny,and im going to start playing again more often.i really need my gun to stop freezing up like it did this past weekend.maybe i should also mention that i have my gun set up w/a remote system.(if thats what u call the air line connected to the tank on your back)if N2 is no good 4 the gun or what ever reason,should i try to use an anti-siphon tank.i heard they stop the flow of liquid into the gun.any help,i would really appreciate it.

joe

Dayspring
12-01-2002, 01:47 PM
Ok- BIG difference between CO2 and N2/HPA systems.

CO2 is stored as a liquid and needs heat energy to expand and turn from liquid into gas. Expansion chambers offer a large surface to absorb heat. Anti Siphon tubes make sure you get the gaseous CO2 from the tank, not the liquid.

N2/HPA is stored as a gas. (Called Nitro [NOT NOS], Compressed Air or High Pressure Air) It doesn't rely on heat energy to change states from liquid to gas. There's no need for the x-chamber or the anti-siphon tube. Because it doesn't rely on heat energy, playing in cold weather is the same as playing in hot weather. CO2 has problems in winter because of its dependency on heat energy to change states from liquid to gas.

One benefit that CO2 has over N2 is more shots. You get more shots out of a CO2 tank than you will with a N2 tank.

Now, if this is a classic valve, you may need a new reg. piston for the N2 system. I believe a quick search of the tech forums will confirm that.

Here's the issue though- do you have a place that can fill the tank? CO2 is fairly prevalent at paintball shops. HPA/N2 is somewhat less. (However that is changing because of the obvious benefits of N2/HPA systems.) If filling is not a problem, then you're good to go. YOu'll want to find something like a 68 cubic inch(ci) tank that'll hold 4,500 psi. It's a good balance between size and shot capacity.

You can find tanks in sizes like 45, 68, 72, 88, 90, 114ci. And they come in either 3000 or 4500 psi. They are considerably more expensive than CO2 tanks because they are holding enormous pressure inside. Therefore, care must be used in their use, moreso than a CO2 tank. Also, I would recommend getting a screw in tank (has threads just like a CO2 tank) because there is less to mess with. A drop-forward will make the weight and balance better, but I suggest trying out what you have set up first before buying anything fancy.

If you have any further questions, be sure to ask!

And Welcome to AO!