PDA

View Full Version : new paintball

confedman75
12-01-2002, 09:40 PM
this would kinda help solve the paintball liquid fill issue(i think). you guys say how the paint moves around in the inside which causes inaccuracy. well what if(in a paintball factory) when a paintball is getting dryed put water or someother liquid in it. then once its dry poke two holes(close to each other) in it and let the water/oil come out. Instead of using normal paint you use a drying type paint(that would still wash off). Then you put a needle in one hole and fill up the paintball (with the special drying paint) till the other hole starts to flood a little bit. you let the paint on the outside dry, scrape it off then you have a paintball with 0 air in it.

if this has already been said in deeply sorry, but im not going to go through all the paintball threads/replys to find one like this.

bjjb99
12-02-2002, 11:01 AM
Confedman,

Out of curiosity, how many paintballs have you seen that actually contain pockets of air in them? I can't remember ever having seen an incompletely filled paintball back in the days of clear-shelled paint, and I doubt that fill technology has gone backwards in the interim. Then again, who knows... perhaps the reason for colored shells these days is that they can't properly fill a paintball anymore. ;)

BJJB

Thordic
12-02-2002, 12:13 PM
I wonder if powder-filled paintballs would actually be better...

There may be an issue with weight, and then breating in the powders, etc, etc, so I don't know if its worth pursueing.

Redkey
12-02-2002, 02:38 PM
I don't think there can be air in a paintball. If you look at how the manufacturing process works it would seem nearly impossible to get air in the ball.

Two flat sheets of flexible gel are squashed together by a pair of cylindrical rollers with paintball sized indents in them. The indents on one roll lineup with the indents on the other roll so that when the two indents meet each other a complete ball is formed and cut. Without paint filling, these would come out looking like a series of flat discs. The paint is pressurized so that it forces the gel into the indents in the rollers. Unless there was alot of turbulence from the mixing and rolling process I don't see how air could be trapped in a paintball.

I'll cut open a bunch of them tonight to see if any contain air.

davidb
12-02-2002, 07:03 PM
Stick it under water and poke a hole in it, and then squeeze out all the paint. My money says you don't get bubbles of air coming out.

confedman75
12-02-2002, 07:29 PM
hmm i by pmi/ and blaze and when i look at a paintball sometimes i notice that there is a dark spot(air) on the top and the dark spot will move when i move the ball, oh well i might have just only noticed the bad balls.

adam shannon
12-17-2002, 12:15 AM
buy a case of zap seconds (i know i'm cheap), almost every ball is only 70%-80% full. you can actually see the huge air pocket.

mag-hatter
01-13-2003, 08:49 PM
expanding on that powder filled pb thing. if it was powder filled, and it broke on someone (judging by IF it came out of the paintball gun), then it would just go poof and turn to dust as it were, and there would be no proof that the player is out. you know those "fart bombs" where you pop two little baggies inside of a big baggie that releases chemical reactions and causes the bag to expand and blow up and smell like skunk. if you had two seperate chambers in the paintball, like the interior is a bit of powder, and the outside is water (the powder being colored), then that would make it more accurate. the only problem is cost. that would be pretty expensive to do.

adam shannon
01-13-2003, 09:01 PM
for the military folks out there, you know what im talking about. the powder in a m-203 training round is a fine orange dye dust that is so heinous it will even dye your skin and is a pain to get out of clothes. its really fine like rit dye...but to make the powder fine enough to stay on a player it would stain and make new hits hard to tell from old.

DarrylHadfield
01-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by adam shannon
for the military folks out there, you know what im talking about. the powder in a m-203 training round is a fine orange dye dust that is so heinous it will even dye your skin and is a pain to get out of clothes. its really fine like rit dye...but to make the powder fine enough to stay on a player it would stain and make new hits hard to tell from old.

I hear ya; I hated being anywhere near those damn things.

I tend to throw Chronic if I have a choice; the fill's quite dense and I've never seen it splatter.. it's like pudding inside. You can't wipe it. Period.

Funny thing is, when it dries, it just powders up and you can brush it off with your hands.

I'd heard (but have no proof) that the fill is a combination of vegetable dye and gelatin.

I wonder just how much tinkering you could do with that to produce an even more effective paintball - the heavier the fill, the more lethal the paintball.

I've actually sprayed enough through a bush at an opponent to eliminate him because Chronic is so darn thick.

D.

einhander619
01-31-2003, 02:05 PM
mmmm, chronic...

DarrylHadfield
01-31-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by einhander619
mmmm, chronic...

Almost made me cry when I found out I was asked to try out for a team that only plays with Kick'n paint... I might have to see if we can swing a ZAP sponsorship!

mysticosaku
02-02-2003, 08:17 PM
Two things:

1) Redkey & davidb: Yes, some paintballs do have air pockets, the field paint at my field sometimes has them. Take a standard paintball, not tournament grade, and squeeze it, not so hard that it pops, and you might feel a little part cave in (the air pocket). I do anyways.

2) I've heard, and almost know for certain because of tasting it frequently, that paintballs are made of vegetable dye and soap by-products (seems like some sort of wierd shampoo or something if you look at it).

wadd
02-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Actually, having a small air pocket causes paint to bust on target and not bounce. You have to have an air pocket. When you shoot it, the liquid gets thrown to the back of the paintball as it flies. That means the pocket of air is in the front of the paintball. So, when it hits something (ex. a person)the shell easily cracks, and the paintball busts open leaving a nice mark.

If a paintball was completely full, you would get more bounces. As the paintball hit the target, the paint on the inside would keep it from breaking. Basically, the paint would push the shell out, the force of hitting a person would push the shell in, and it would stay right where it is and not break. The paint would help absorb some of the impact.

From what I've understood, even if a paintball is completely filled when it's just sitting there, when it's shot, all the liquid on the inside gets compressed towards the back of the paintball, creating an air pocket on the inside, just behind the front wall of the shell.

If you put a solid form of paint in there, not only would it hurt a lot more to get hit, but it wouldn't be able to compress into the back of the paintball, and you wouldn't get that air pocket. That would cause it not to bust as easily, and you would get a lot of bounces. It may improve accuracy, but it would destroy the idea, sincec it would rarely break.
Jeremy

Wat
02-09-2003, 01:04 PM
paintballs are inaccurate not because of their liquid fill or materials used or whatever. They are inaccurate because they are relatively light compared to their size and speeds. We are really at the physical limits of how accurately we can shoot a 68 cal ball at 300fps.

Coaster
02-09-2003, 02:26 PM
and because they are a sphere..

srrdude
02-27-2003, 11:19 PM
look.. ive been thinkin bout this forever. I remember back when i was in like 5th grade and we plaid with
"ueblec" to learn plasticity. The "ueblec" was actually corn starch and water. Uner light pressure it solidified, and immediately liquified again. If starch were to be put into paintballs, the force from firing should make them solid enuff to spin with the shell giving much better accuracy and incredibly better range applications (hop up and such). My only concern is the solution not popping when it hits someone.. cuz obviously It will be under pressure making it harden, but i think the shell will crack removing pressure and immediately liquifing the starch and water based paint. I am yet to test this theory tho. I need to make a small level encapsulating machine.. a crank powered.

breg
03-14-2003, 02:06 PM
hmmmmm...newbie dumb@$$ here... what about a gel filled paintball with a thicker consisisty than the regular liquid fill, but still thin enough to get the required splatter? Think maybe like a runnier jello.

Please forgive the spelling mistakes, I've been up for a very long while.
Thanks,
Breg

Hasty8
03-16-2003, 10:43 AM
mag-hatter

expanding on that powder filled pb thing. if it was powder filled, and it broke on someone (judging by IF it came out of the paintball gun), then it would just go poof and turn to dust as it were, and there would be no proof that the player is out.

Not exactly so. The Seattle police tested a new anti-riot device which was a Tippmann pro-lite filled with a sulfur based powder. This proves two things. One, powder filled paintballs can be and are produced though I am not entirely sure of the manufacturing process. Second, the powder was a fairly heavy type and it truly clung to the clothes or even the skin of the person shot.

The point of these particular paintballs? Crowd dispersal. The sulfur-based fill reeked so badly that a few shots would quickly disperse any crowd and boy did it work.

Not sure if I completely agree with Wadd's post since the force of the projectile colliding with another solid object would generally result in a break. Inertia does deal with breaks but so does shell rigidity and target rigidity.

As for a powder fill there is one thing that hasn't been really touched on here I think. It would smack the bejezeeus outta anyone who got hit by it. I watched this show where they were testing non-lethal crowd controls devices and one of them was the sulfur powder filled pballs. They clocked the pellets at traveling at 200 fps and shot a guy at about 30 feet a few times through a very think sweater and they guy had HUGE welts afterwards. I mean, way bigger than any paintball welts I have ever seen. It looked more like a baseball hit him after coming off McGuires bat!

nato
03-21-2003, 03:16 PM
That is really interesting. I have seen news articles where officers have used Tippmanns to crash riots. Whether they were using that type of pball, I am not sure but it is a very interesting topic! Thanks for the cool info Hasty8!
N.A.T.O.

sneakyhacker420
03-28-2003, 06:28 PM
PMI just introduced the new Mercury brand paintball

the fill is TOOTHPASTE THICK!... and that should help the ball to spin in a rifled barrel (eg: armson)

srrdude
03-28-2003, 08:35 PM
wow.. ill hafta pic up a twister and try some of those.