PDA

View Full Version : Forum Bug....webmaster?

CRog075
12-02-2002, 06:01 PM
Its nothing big. But when you highlight the top, where the members are, and than go to a link at the top, ur screen turns blue

heh, i was just bored. Nothing big, but just saying...:eek:

CRog075
12-02-2002, 06:03 PM
:eek: as you click to a link

digitard
12-02-2002, 06:11 PM
Its not a forum bug from what I can tell .. its the DHTML menu, its attempting to highlight that and it selects EVERYTHING .....and thats why the screen does that, its the DHTML menu being dynamically highlighted ... cause look at the side of the screen, on mine you could still see the forum on the side but only outside the menu paramiters.

Just what I THINK ..correct me if I'm wrong *hey it happens*

Sincerely,
Dave K

CRog075
12-02-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by digitard
Its not a forum bug from what I can tell .. its the DHTML menu, its attempting to highlight that and it selects EVERYTHING .....and thats why the screen does that, its the DHTML menu being dynamically highlighted ... cause look at the side of the screen, on mine you could still see the forum on the side but only outside the menu paramiters.

Just what I THINK ..correct me if I'm wrong *hey it happens*

Sincerely,
Dave K

You prolly are, because I dont know anything about HTML, etc.

Kevmaster
12-02-2002, 07:03 PM
yeh, its definitely in the JS and DHTML coding...not exactly sure, doesnt happen to me...could it be you in XP?

FalconGuy016
12-02-2002, 07:58 PM
It happens to me.
I understand the first screen, but I dont know why the whole screen turns blue like that afterwards, especially that shade of blue, and also if you look to the right there is a portion of the screen not-blued up

CRog075
12-02-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016
It happens to me.
I understand the first screen, but I dont know why the whole screen turns blue like that afterwards, especially that shade of blue, and also if you look to the right there is a portion of the screen not-blued up

Do you got XP? It could be xp? I dunno

Yeah, I dunno why it does that, i mean the whole screen go blue almost.

Shirow
12-02-2002, 09:38 PM
does it to me in win2k ;)

CRog075
12-02-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Shirow
does it to me in win2k ;)

lol, guess it aint win xp than ;)

pito189
12-03-2002, 12:19 AM
Ya well my screen turns green. I'm on XP Pro.

Koosh
12-03-2002, 12:20 AM
I have winxp, and it doesnt happen for me... must be a browser thing. I use Compuserve as my main browser (it sucks! there is Broadband within 4 miles in every direction of my city, but not here!) and it doesnt do it with Internet Explorer either...

pito189
12-03-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by TheFlamingKoosh
and it doesnt do it with Internet Explorer either...

I use Internet Explorer.

digitard
12-03-2002, 01:06 AM
Its just an Internet Explorer/DHTML-JS thing ... here's whats happening.

When you highlight the entire "DHTML" menu (the dropdown menu) nothing is happening, but at some point it attempts to open a catagory (forum+chat/etc) .. but since its highlighting the whole thing when you open that catagory it brings the dropdown boxes to their maximum output size ... thats all.

Its just highlighting every option of the menu so the box is expanding to its maximum outputs designed into its code.

No worries, its not a bug or an XP thing .. itsjust a sideffect

SIncerely,
Dave K

Curly
12-03-2002, 01:21 AM
It goes black for me.

dansim
12-03-2002, 09:33 AM
mine goes black too and i have XP

synreal
12-03-2002, 09:38 AM
its reasons like this that some days i truly hate my job ;)

digitard is correct, not a bug, just how browsers work.

FalconGuy016
12-03-2002, 10:06 AM
digitard, im not sure if I understand (and im really trying to)

"but since its highlighting the whole thing when you open that catagory it brings the dropdown boxes to their maximum output size " this part especially, what do you mean it brings the dropdown boxes to their maxium output size? That means the whole screen? (95% of it, if you look at the right there is a little not highlighted)

synreal
12-03-2002, 10:42 AM
think of it like this, webpages are just a big list of directions on how to lay out things, like this:

<b>*</b> top of the page
<b>*</b> main navigation
<b>*</b> hidden layers (the menus that pop up when you put your mouse over something like "Forums + Chat")
<b>*</b> forum contents (threads etc)

When you start you selection somewhere in the forum contents, and drag it to the top of the page, you are selecting everything (including the hidden layers that you can't even see)

Once those layers become active (by rolling your mouse over them you then see the highlight on them as well.

Since layers occupy a different z axis/index from the rest of the page (think of the bulk of the page as a flat surface that you are putting a piece of glass with the new layer onto it. they exist in different planes, but from the front "user pov" they are one) the entire new index/axis is shown as highlighted but certain versions of certain browsers. other apps may only show the content in the pop up layer as selected.

Welcome to the wild, wild world of crossbrowser hell.

<b>//edit//</b>

select from here<div id="sample" style="position:absolute; width:150; height:50; z-index:99; left: 25; top: 20; visibility: visible">
<table width="150" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<tr>
<td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">layer (same
as a popup at the top)</font></td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>to here

see how the little chunk of text top left corner of the page also got highlighted, even though you didn't select anywhere near it? thats because the code to create that layer sits between the words "here" and "to here"

Webmaster
12-03-2002, 11:09 AM
Actually - I have the answer for you....

Its not really the layers that are showing up...

When you highlight everything - EVERYTHING gets highlighted - text AND images. Well - in order for the menus to close I use what is called a "closer" image. Its basically ONE HUGE invisible gif (1x1 pic, stretched)that when you roll over it, it closes all the menues and makes sure the roll over graphics reset.

So - if you are highlighting that menu, its going to highlight that image on a layer when you roll over the menu bar.

Its not a bug really - and to be honest your the first person I know who was bored enough to screw around with it until something breaks.

The different colors must be dependent on some highlight color you have set up on your comptuer (probably teh back ground color)

FalconGuy016
12-03-2002, 11:42 AM
:)

CRog075
12-03-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by digitard
Its just an Internet Explorer/DHTML-JS thing ... here's whats happening.

When you highlight the entire "DHTML" menu (the dropdown menu) nothing is happening, but at some point it attempts to open a catagory (forum+chat/etc) .. but since its highlighting the whole thing when you open that catagory it brings the dropdown boxes to their maximum output size ... thats all.

Its just highlighting every option of the menu so the box is expanding to its maximum outputs designed into its code.

No worries, its not a bug or an XP thing .. itsjust a sideffect

SIncerely,
Dave K

I wish I knew as much as you :(

Webmaster, what are you trying to say about me :(