PDA

View Full Version : To Bunker or Not to Bunker

Chef123161
08-27-2001, 05:44 PM
Yesterday I finally got a day off from reffing and actually got to play. My team (myself and 4 other refs) got to play together for the first as a unit. We played all speed games and did fairly well. One guy asked us if we played together a lot because we communicated very well together. Anyway, back to the whole reason for this post. I found myself in a position to bunker people in almost every game. I had excellent cover fire and a man in the middle keeping the guys head down. I started to go but stopped because I remembered it was just rec ball. It was 12 on 12 most of the day and the other team had 4 tourny players and the rest were walk on players. My question is, do any of you bunker people in rec ball? If I knew it was a tourny player behind the bunker, I would have gone for it, but since I saw it was just a walk on player I held back and let the middle man move and and get them from about 20-25 feet instead of me jumping over there bunker and shooting them from 1-2 feet. So how about it, any of you guys bunker in rec ball?

------------------
Primary:
Chrome HL E-Mag
AGD 68/3k Flatline
Chrome .689 CP Barrel
Blue 12v Revvy
Backup:
Blue Powercoated P/F Automag
Chrome Dye 2x Trigger Frame w/ Chrome 2x Trigger
Blue Dye Sticky Grips

a_malfunction
08-27-2001, 05:50 PM
I play as hard as I can everytime I play. This may be mean, but I'll bunker anyone If I have too. I dont bunker people that often, but If I need to take a bunker to blow a game wide open, I dont care who is in it (with the exception of little kids). Most of the people at my field are great sports, they dont complain when bunkered. They just laught about it.

------------------
When in doubt, duck. When certain, don't bother, you're already screwed.

Linkin
08-27-2001, 05:52 PM
Well, to me, Rec is just Tourney practice. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif So yes, I bunker. I bunker try not to bunker newbez. I do, however, bunker anyone that has played before.
I live by the rule: Bunker, or be Bunkered

------------------
"Shut up when I'm talk'n to you!" -Linkin Park

"Give me an inch, I'll give you a bruise." -Andy Kopcok; Team Image

pumpamatic
08-27-2001, 06:31 PM
Depends who it is, playing at some of my friends private fields, I bunker everyone and anyone, because they would do the same to anyone. No, I don't bunker at my local field too much, mostly cuz I don't know how the bunkered would react.

bofh
08-27-2001, 06:33 PM
I live by three rules, well more that, but three bunkering rules.

Newbies and Woods ball, no bunkering.

Speedball and people talking smack, bunker away.

If I'm using my pistol, bunker, bunker, bunker. I don't have the pleasure of waiting, I've only got 8 shots. Of course I look really silly if I've under estimated the number of people in a bunker...

------------------
Shaun Nelson --- old, fat, slow.... did I mention lazy?
Brass Eagle .68 Pistol... It's pure fear in a easily cracked plastic housing.

Mr.E Mag Man
08-27-2001, 06:36 PM
My home field has a surrender rule, which I think is a good idea.. I think most people will surrender given the circumstances.. some people refuse to surrender and sometimes you get shot while doing it, but oh well.. drop your pride for once, it's just rec ball.

I ran out of air in a rec game (speedball too) so I just left my marker behind a bunker, grabbed a handful of balls, and ran around bunkering people with fast(paint)balls. Freaky as hell, but you become much more agile and mobile without a marker to lug around.

Cobrachs
08-27-2001, 06:40 PM
The field that I play at does not allow you to shoot a person that close during rec ball, if you get close enough to bunker them they are out anyway

i-luv-my-rt
08-27-2001, 07:11 PM
Well with me playing front my team-mates depend on me to get some bunkers in, even if there 1for1. I love bunkering it's fun and the pain gets me goin even more. I do it any chance i get so watch out for me. HEHE!!!!

------------------
This is your brain
AUTOMAG
Your brain on drugs
autococker
GET FOCUSED

LizzaRTgirl14
08-27-2001, 07:14 PM
ME being mean on the field as I am...(seriously.. I'm a real compettive person...)

BUNKER! I wouldnt't care if it was rec or tourney. HE wanted to play so HE should experience a bunkering . Plus, he coulda been experienced enough to do the same to you.

2000Sabre
08-27-2001, 08:22 PM
The rec fields I've played on always maintain some type of surrender rule. That close, you've got to give a guy a chance to give himself up. If he's stupid enough not to then fire away and he's learned a valuable lesson because it's going to hurt when he gets hit. Glad to hear though that you choose not take advantage of a less experienced person. I hope when it happens to me the next time that it's someone as thoughtful as you.

lonelymag
08-27-2001, 08:26 PM
where i play we have both a newbie/whoever game as well as an advanced section. the newbies play with a surrender rule, but the advanced guys go all out, and i love to bunker em!

MagShooter
08-27-2001, 09:20 PM
most of it depends on the situation. If it's rec ball and I'm playing with some newbies, I won't bunker them. I want them to learn the sport and not FEEL the sport :P BUT if I'm playing with my team against another experienced team, I will bunker given the chance, because I know that they will bunker me. But if it's a noob team, I will either 1) shoot their bunker and tell them to take the hit or 2) I'll just shoot their hopper so they don't get hurt. That way the know what a bunkering is like without the pain. They know how close the shooting actually is and are usually thankful I didn't shoot them in the body. Biggest part is self control. They want to play the game, good. We need more people in this sport. But remember, they may not want to play the tournament game, and bunkering is definitely a tournament style move. If someone doesn't mind getting bunkered, bunker away..otherwise, be kind http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Restola
08-27-2001, 09:21 PM
I wont bunker anyone i dont know. unless they talk a bunch of trash before the game

belligerant1
08-27-2001, 09:44 PM
fudge it, i'll bunker anyone i can see if it's possible. i've bunkered ppl behind stumps and trees @ scenarios and i will never fail to spray a few on ya froma foot or two on the airball. so bunker all that is possible. every kill i makle is a bunkering almost all the time unless i sweetspot you off the break.

------------------
mag needed!!!

this one goes out to the kids who drove 6 hours in a stolen car and missed the tourney!!!!

is it wrong to want to shoot you just so that i can hear the splats hit your goggles?

polorboy
08-27-2001, 09:51 PM
We play by the surrender rule. If you are going to bunker someone and you get within 20 feet you shout surrender. If they turn to fire on you then you just open up on them. That way the newbies get used to being bunkered and bunkering other people with out getting hurt by being shot from very close. Most of the time the person being bunkered will surrender. The other day I got doubled bunkered, from two sides. I was the last man left and there were four of them. I had three on one side and one on the other. One guy from each side ran at me at the same time. I was a bit frightened. It happened when I was reloading too so I was taken by total surprise when I saw both of them coming at me.

Restola
08-27-2001, 09:57 PM
nothing in paintball gives me a bigger rush than bunkering. or hearing the pop-pop-popopopopopopopop of coverfire on the front of my bunker knowing someone is comming around in about 2 seconds and there isnt a darn thing i can do to stop it

Monsta
08-27-2001, 10:03 PM
There is a good Rule at CC pball, if there is little kids or rentals on the field then the ref will ask if we want to bunker, and if there is 1 person who says no then we use the knock knock rule. Bascilly u knock on the other side of the bunker and that player is out

booyah
08-27-2001, 10:06 PM
At my feild, there is a 10ft rule, unless you know the player...

If you know the player, then they have been around for a while and know what to expect.

Sunday, a guy I play with tried to bunker me came down the hill shooting up my bunker, started to come around it (so he could keep running) and i popped out the top just before he could. he figured, "I'll give him the option. I can bunker him, or he can pop out... thats an option right?"

On me, that was fine, but he knew who was in the bunker before trying it...

-Booyah

p.s. Oh yeah, I did light his bum up so be careful bunkering...

DryIce
08-27-2001, 10:07 PM
haha the knock knock rule thats a good one http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
http://www.galaxy-pc.com/mag <---my automag

http://www.galaxy-pc.com/mag/wiringdiagram.jpg <--- Warpfeed Intellifeed diagram

Ni cD
08-27-2001, 10:49 PM
During rec, I usually offer a surrender if the person I'm coming for is new to the sport. However, if the opponent is at east a semi-seasoned player, I won't ask for a surrender...just play out the move.

C¥borg
08-28-2001, 12:15 AM
I bunker a a lot, more than anyone else at my local field, people have actually come to expect me to bunker em, I've been bunkering long enough to gain quite a bit of self control, and if I don't know the player, I'll aim for there shoes or hopper, but I usually know most of the guys on my field, and I bunker em.

hitmanng
08-28-2001, 12:21 AM
I think bunkering is part of the game. I agree with the surrender rules if they are an option but they are just that an option. If I do not have a clear advantage a surrender is not offered.
Hitmanng

------------------
Issha zetsumei -- The original "one shot, one kill"

nastymag
08-28-2001, 02:10 AM
im nursing 4 bunker welts on my back right now.
i try not to bunker newbies but if they have any thing better then a rental the its free game. i also tend to shoot the newer one just once because the real good ones need like 2-4 to make sure they dont turn on you.

slayer
08-28-2001, 06:22 AM
My first rule is: do unto others before they do unto you http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

My second rule is: don't bunker someone if it is their first time. If they have played a little then it is ok to bunker as long as the field allows it.

Whisky
08-28-2001, 07:33 AM
I do bunker in those times only if the rules have been set and told to everybody. If everybody knows they can be shot from 1 or 2 feet that is ok, if not, i don`t.

------------------
"Give me an inch... I`ll give you a bruise" -Andy Kopcok, team Image
Snap Snap
Bang Bang
You`re Out

gimp
08-28-2001, 10:10 AM
If you were allowed to bunker, I'd bunker. If not, I wouldnt. You should know the rules if your a ref on the field.

BTW - You wouldn't happen to be playing at Candia would you?

------------------
Choads.net (http://www.choads.net) EricPitts.com (http://www.ericpitts.com)

Chef123161
08-28-2001, 10:23 AM
There is a courtesy surrender rule. We say that if you sneak up on someone and they have no idea you are there, you should ask for a surrender. Bunkering isnt exactly a move where you have time to ask for a surrender but I didnt want to get anyone mad because I dont know how they would react. If it was one of my friends behind the bunker, you better believe I would have bunkered them. I dont know how people will react, I've seen someone people get irrate while others shake hands with the person who did it after the game. Also, I play/ref at Canobie Paintball in Windham, NH. I have played at Candia once though.

CDN_Drew
08-28-2001, 01:59 PM
where I play we have a bunker tag rule for rec play. Basically it ends up that you perform your bunkering manouver and insted of going over the top you slap the bunker or hut that is in front of you. This eliminates all players behind the bunker or inside the hut. You still scare the bejeezus out of people but no one gets hurt. I really enjoy doing it on the tin bunkers we have on one of our fields. Just run up and give it a swift kick. This is for rec days and the newbie groups. It's just safer that way. But in our open days it's full out no rules. Makes the game a bit more fun.

------------------
Andrew Bates
Executive Member
Canadian Contingent Paintball Club
Ottawa, Ontario
www.canadiancontingent.com

mykroft
08-28-2001, 02:11 PM
My general rule is if you're wearing a jersey, you're fair game. I'll also bunker anyone blind-firing after a first warning, or blatantly cheating.

------------------
Mykroft Holmes IV
------------------
My Mags:
CF11023, Classic Feed, 16" CP .689, 14" JnJ Stainless, Ring trigger, WGP Reg, Diamond Labs Ti Reg Adjuster.

VV00614(Valve)/VV00423(reg), Black Teflon HR Powerfeed, 16" SP AA,14" JnJ Ceramic, AGD Intelliframe Blade, Benchy Crossfire cradle/on-off, black foregrip, Macroline.
PMI 48/3K Preset HPA

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" R.A.Heinlein - 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'

Hasty8
08-28-2001, 02:44 PM
If it's a scenario game I almost never bunker. During a sppedball game it depends. First off I am huge and slow so I usually supply the covering fire. For me to bunker someone they would most likely have to be dead.

But, if given the chance I have to look at the way the person is playing. If they are being hesitant and stay behind the bunker alot they are most likely a newbie so I'll refrain from bunkering. On the other hand, if they are snapshooting very well and being very active I can tell that they are more experienced and would be less likely to go off if bunkered.

belligerant1
08-28-2001, 05:04 PM
i'm like 6'2" and weigh like 175 lbs so when i get runnin it's fast, and there is no way that i'm gonna slow down w/ in ten feet of you and ask you to surrender, i'll run by shooting and then on to the next guy near you. so you're gettin bunkered if you play w/ me.

------------------
mag needed!!!

this one goes out to the kids who drove 6 hours in a stolen car and missed the tourney!!!!

is it wrong to want to shoot you just so that i can hear the splats hit your goggles?

Linkin
08-28-2001, 05:14 PM
At my homefield, Alamo Paintball. We ask before the game if bunkering is ok. If someone says its not, we dont bunker. Also, the refs are really good, if there r little kids, they will either 1)Call a no bunker game, or, 2)Stay with the little kids so that they dont get bunkered.

But, personaly, i will bunker anyone unless it is a little kid, or a no bunker game.

------------------
"Shut up when I'm talk'n to you!" -Linkin Park

"Give me an inch, I'll give you a bruise." -Andy Kopcok; Team Image

E=Mag MAN
08-28-2001, 05:39 PM
U know what i think u all remember how it was your first time u got bunkered it killed!HEHE but i have never played tourny ball.In fact in 3 weeks i go try out for shadow (front guy).But even in rec ball some games i get so worked up u would think i was playing NPPL championship im not kidding.I dont even want to know how ill act at a tourny.hehe.But at my field now if a ref sees that your running to bunker someone there out if he can call it quick enough.HEHE I got a 5 man bunker this way hehe.But i think they should split into to grouyps new and experienced.this way the rec players who like to bunker and play a fast paced gaem get that and new people can go at there pace.My feild used to do that but they stoped.HEHE me wanting to look cool i go into that grup experienced they were all tourny players.My mistake i have to say those were some of the scariest games i ever played considering it was my first time.HEHE well i think bunkering should be allowed i just think they should warn the newbis about. tell them u go all the way up u have a chance at getting bunkered.its part of the game.Mite i add i get so into games now recently i thought there was 3 guys left when i ran around that cornor ranging from 1 to 5 feet i got shot at by 7 people when i go to make a bunker i am so pumped up i barly felt thsoe shots.I swear i felt them after i got back and sat down then when i was bleeding and hurting i realized hwo badly i got lit up but thats okay.

------------------
E-MAG with warp and a flatline.

WORKS GREAT

Whisky
08-28-2001, 05:43 PM
Like i always say, you have to act toward people as you want them to act toward you. Bunker or not to bunker..? I would... as long as they know they can be bunkered.

------------------
"Give me an inch... I`ll give you a bruise" -Andy Kopcok, team Image
Snap Snap
Bang Bang
You`re Out

magmanpaintball
08-28-2001, 05:50 PM
We have a 10 foot surrende rule or if we run up to thier bunker everybody behind that bunker is dead. At friends house though it doesnt matter.

------------------
68 automag classic
chrome p/f body
14inch pmi ceramik barrel
68 4500 psi nitro duck tank

DarkPhoenix
08-28-2001, 06:57 PM
My field has a surrender rule, we stick to it as much as we can. I was playing a woods field and was lucky to be on the winning team for this particular scenario. We had eliminated most of the players, with the exception of two players, who were hidding behind a mound bunker. With cover fire from my teammates, I rushed the bunker, jumping over the top, coming down behind the two players. I immmediately spun arround and told them to surrender. One of the players spun and got shot twice, the other surrendered immediately. We explain the surrender rule to everyone at the start of each game, it goes as follows "The surrender rule is strictly enforced within 10-15ft. If your opponent is within this distance, you must give them the option to surrender, if they move to shoot, then shoot before they do." I find that this rule works very well in rec ball because it minimizes injuries and maximizes safety. Just blindly shooting away w/o mercy does not promote our sport, it might cause people to turn away from playing the sport. The worst shots that I was on the receiving end of, were all guys performing bunkering moves in rec ball. I have no problem with bunkering during speedball games where everyone is aware of the rules.

------------------
RT Pro P/F
w/ AGD Flatline