PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a tournament level marker

JohnnyRotten
08-26-2001, 05:39 PM
Hello everyone, my daughter who is 13, was asked to join a novice/rookie team, she is currently using a spyder tl and has a great shot.. just dont tell her so <evil grin> anyways I want to buy her a tournament level marker that is very durable and fast.. I was thinking about the Automag RT Pro, because for some reason she didnt like the Smart Parts Impulse I had. Is this a good tourney level gun and is it legal in all tournaments with the 1 pull 1 ball rule. Any help would be appreciated

Paintballer86
08-26-2001, 05:44 PM
Yeah, it's legal. GREAT gun to start with, you need an adjustable Nitro tank, though, witch means you cant use co2, but with the preformance of the RT Pro, it will all be worth it. Trust me on this one. You need an adj. Tank, so you can adjust the "reactiveness" of the trigger.

------------------
If you run, you will only be marked tired
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Paintballer86/image001.gif

Xzion
08-26-2001, 05:51 PM
the RT PRO is an excellent marker, I personally havnt had much experience with the RT PRO, but I do run a ReTro Minimag, which is basically a RT in a Minimags body. Unless you actually go looking for the sweet spot, (aka known as 'run away mode') there shouldnt be any problems with using it in tournaments. if your looking for durability, and speed, the RT PRO has both, as most Airgun Designs products, augomags can easily last decades, and work just as well as they did when brand new. the triggers do take a little getting use to, some dislike the reactive trigger, and mags are a litte easier to short stroke, though this is les of a problem with the RT. Just like all AGD markers, matienence is very simple, as most problems can be fixed with the replacement of an O-Ring, not to mention, all Airgun Designs products are baced by one of the best companies out there. As im sure many people will tell you, you should let her try several different brands, automags are sometimes just not for some people. hope this helped.

DOZY
08-26-2001, 05:53 PM
u should get her a matrix. she will have the trigger pull of and angel and the distance and acc. of a shocker, great gun.

------------------
dozy is uh pymp

JohnnyRotten
08-26-2001, 05:55 PM
But is this marker a good starter for a 13 year old? And is a remote system an option in the tourney scene?

Load SM5
08-26-2001, 05:58 PM
Distance and accuracy of a shocker?

Oh God, don't start this debate again.

------------------
Black vert.feed E-mag
68/4500 Dynaflow
12" Freak

DryIce
08-26-2001, 05:59 PM
I have seen some people using a remote in the tourney scene
its not common but certainly not unheard of

------------------
http://www.galaxy-pc.com/mag &lt;---my automag

http://www.galaxy-pc.com/mag/wiringdiagram.jpg &lt;--- Warpfeed Intellifeed diagram

Load SM5
08-26-2001, 06:02 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnnyRotten:
But is this marker a good starter for a 13 year old? And is a remote system an option in the tourney scene?</font>

It's a fine marker for someone getting into the tourney scene. Keep in mind the trigger, like all mag triggers will have to be learned in order to not chop paint. Have her practice by shooting slow and make sure she lets the trigger all the way back out before she fires again. Get the firing rhythm down before working on speed.

Remotes are fine for a tourney.

------------------
Black vert.feed E-mag
68/4500 Dynaflow
12" Freak

Xzion
08-26-2001, 06:02 PM
I'd have to say a remote would be fine for a tournament, afterall, its a matter of what she's most comfortable with. Thats one of the more important aspects of paintball. If your not comfortable with your gear, good luck, you'll probably need it.

JohnnyRotten
08-26-2001, 06:10 PM
Great, thanks for the help everyone. I will have her try out several, but i hope to steer her clear of the high priced angels. Im not big into buying equipment just because some pro team uses them, but I DO buy quality first and second is the abilty to upgrade if I want to. Again thanks for the input.

Xzion
08-26-2001, 06:18 PM
well, quality is AIrgun designs's middle name, certianly cant go wrong... you may not know this, but the valve thats in the RT PRO, is teh exact same valve thats in the E-Mag... it should last her for a good long while http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Linkin
08-26-2001, 08:06 PM
Is she a front player? If so you may want to be careful with the remote! I am 14, and I used a remote in my last tourney. I couldnt sprint very well, and it adds a lot of weight and area to get hit.

------------------
"I cannot take this anymore! Saying everything I said before."-Linkin Park

"Give me an inch, I'll give you a bruise."-Andy Kopcok; Team Image

Bub3814
08-26-2001, 10:11 PM
The RT pro should be a great gun for her...
As for the remote, don't have her use one, get her in the gym to beef up those arms http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Anyway it is nice to see more young girls getting into the tourny scene...and a father that supports her playing paintball...

almost brings a tear to my eye http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
~Bub~

"It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
-Dizzy Dean

salomon16
08-26-2001, 11:01 PM
Let me first say that you're doing a huge favor by supporting your daughter in the sport she loves (i wish my parents would've picked up the check for my mini). I think an RT pro is an excellent choice if you're looking for quality, any agd product for that matter. And when it comes to upgradeablity, mags dont even need to be upgraded, the best parts are mostly all from the agd factory. This excludes barrels, hoppers, and tanks which are what i consider add-ons instead of upgrades. Anyway, tell her we wish her luck!

AGDRules
08-26-2001, 11:25 PM
Johnny I wish u were my Daddy u wanna be my daddy and buy me a new marker lol

AGDRules
08-26-2001, 11:27 PM
Seriously thought RT Pro Is A really nice marker I recommend it

MajorDamage
08-27-2001, 01:55 AM
Not only is it great, reliable, and easy matenience, but its also the fastest recharging valve on the planet! Capable of 26 bps with no shootdown! Thats more than twice as fast as a Shocker. It can shoot faster than 26, but get shootdown. I love my ReTroMag(basically the same thing).

ENDO!

------------------
GO HERE!: <A HREF="http://wsnonline.8k.com" TARGET=_blank>http://wsnonline.8k.com

</A>The Witherspoon News! Sign the guestbook! It better than sunglasses, and twice as fragrent!

slayer
08-27-2001, 06:47 AM
I have heard tons of great things about bushmasters and they are fairly inexpensive. I was going to get one if I didn't have enough for an emag. Alot of people say bushmasters are poor man's angels. I have never shot one, although I have shot an RT before. I don't really know that much about bushmasters other than they are raved about in most paintball circles although alot of angel owners seem to look down on them. My suggestion is that if she likes electro triggers(I love them) really check out the bushy, otherwise an RT pro is great because it shoots fast and is easy to take care of.

Arturus
08-27-2001, 12:49 PM
"As for the RT pro, it's ok and has ok speed. However, if you want a REALLY good marker, get an e-mag." - Dude

You do realize the RT Pro with it's 'ok speed' is actually faster than the E-Mag right? *grins*

http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
RT Pro - Chrome Powerfeed Right
Armageddon 68/4500
KAPP Chrome Apoc Drop Forward
12 vt Revolution
Lapco Aluminum Autospirit 12"

[This message has been edited by Arturus (edited 08-27-2001).]

Dude
08-27-2001, 11:23 PM
My parents would never ever dish out a thousand or so dollars for a paintball gun.

As for the RT pro, it's ok and has ok speed. However, if you want a REALLY good marker, get an e-mag. The e-mag's trigger is the lightest there is and you won't have to worry about the restrictions at some tournaments on the reactive trigger, because the e-mag doesn't do that.

If you buy an EMAG from paintballgear.com you get a crossfire compressed air tank for free.

JohnnyRotten
08-28-2001, 01:30 AM
LOL Umm 1 daughter is enough and I love the sport as well, I just wish I get us both on the same team, but that would be way to much cash to shell out, 2 fifths of the total cost. Ill just root for her and let her have fun plus we still play at several fields here in michigan just for fun. You guys are great thanks for the support and help
Johnny

toymyster
08-28-2001, 02:01 AM
The RT pro is a great choice for her!!! One of my back guys uses one, and I'm glad that's what watching my back!!! There is little to upgrade and they are bulletproof reliable!!!!

------------------
Black Teflon E-mag
Warp feed
10" total Freak
Centerflag 201 68/45k

Jacob
08-28-2001, 08:27 AM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dude:
However, if you want a REALLY good marker, get an e-mag</font>

Maybe get her the RT Pro, and let her earn the E-Mag conversion.

------------------
He who dies with the most toys...

RiceRocket
08-28-2001, 12:42 PM
My suggestion would be to have her try out as many tourney level markers that she can, whether it be shooting at a chrony station, or preferably playing an entire game. You'll have to kind of steer her away from the Angel owners if you can. They do get pricey and you can get the same performance from many other guns on the market.

Have her try out the RT Pro also. I'm a strong proponent of AGD products, for their durability and reliability. But, if a marker does not inspire confidence, it will take her a little longer to improve her game.

Take also in to consideration the availability of support in your area for the marker you and she ultimately choose. Tournament level markers are an investment, and I'm sure you'll prefer to have that investment in your hands rather than at the shop or manufacturer getting repaired.

RiceRocket
08-28-2001, 12:49 PM
And have her try out markers that have on-gun air systems. She may like it. There are 45 cu. in. 4500 psi systems available - smaller and lighter than some. Not sure on how much paint she puts out a game, but I can get at least 700 shots out of my Retro Mag. If she prefers running remote, it is accepted in tourney ball. Linkin got it right...it's all a matter of preference.

------------------
Manny
Aftershock

dansim
08-28-2001, 03:44 PM
get her a a timmy there on sale at firstcallpaintball.com for around 500 or a used angel perhaps

WickeDKlowN
08-28-2001, 07:47 PM
i would let her test out a few turny level guns, but make sure she tests out a RT Pro, and a Bushy they are both great inexpensive, durable, light guns that are tourny level

-Jerry

------------------
WickeDKlowN
IRC:|^XeoN^|
XeoN42069@aol.com
Team TwiztiD (http://teamtwiztid.cjb.net/)
"Huked On Fonix Reely Wurks For Me"
"I Used To Be A Skitzophrenic But We're Ok Now"

i-luv-my-rt
08-28-2001, 11:07 PM
RT would be a great gun but for a 13 year old girl this is the setup i'd have her sporting.
-classic powerfeed
-either a boo-yah but i prefer the hyperframe
-47 flatline or a 47 4500 tank
This gun would be light and fast. RT is good but you really have to muscle the trigger and for tournies my hand gets cramps at the end. It might just be me, she doesnt need to be ripping out as fast as an angel for a novice/young guns tourney. If you wanna spend the money go for it but i think a regular mag would be the ticket. If she didnt like the impulse she prolly wont like the bushy. But it's all up to you. Good luck!!!

------------------
This is your brain
AUTOMAG
Your brain on drugs
autococker
GET FOCUSED