PDA

View Full Version : open/closed bolt question

petefol
12-03-2002, 07:50 PM
i was reading about open and closed bolt and the author of the article said that closed bolt is more accurate, because when the ball is being fired (accelerating down the barrel) the breach is sealed and therefor all the gas is being used to accelerate the ball. well i was just wondering if anyone has done testing on mags to find exactly how long the bolt is in the barrel when the gun is fired. if the paintball is only in the barrel for about .005 sec, or 5 thousandths of a sec, then during that time, how long is the bolt in the barrel (sealing the barrel) or does the bolt not seal the barrel at all?

yeahthatsme
12-03-2002, 08:08 PM
nope, doesnt matter. a ball shooting at 300fps is gonna be going that speed wether the bolt closed the feed tube or not.

HoppysMag
12-03-2002, 08:37 PM
lol i love all this kinda stuff... its going at 300 fps out the barrel so for all arguements sake mokeys could be throwing it and itl still be the same range and accuracy ( neglecting all the other stuff such as paint barrel match and such) IE a cocker shooting marbs outta a perfect match barrel chronying at 300fps consistantly will be the same accuracy as a mag doing everything the same... argue me all you want. only way a gun has anything to do with accuracy is consistancy of speed out the barrel. same speed everytime with all other factors controlled then you will have the same accuracy. then the barrel affects it, and so on...

hitech
12-03-2002, 08:59 PM
Here is another post about the same thing:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=546809#post546809

petefol
12-03-2002, 09:30 PM
im not trying to debate accuracy or range, im just wondering about how long the bolt is in the barrel.

Kevmaster
12-03-2002, 10:57 PM
miliseconds....

on a mag, what is it, 20ms?

AGD
12-04-2002, 12:35 AM
In the mag the bolt HAS to be in the barrel just to release the air. They are physically linked together.

So the only other part is how long does the bolt stay closed once the ball gets moving. The answer is about 5-10 ms. The ball is traveling down the barrel for about 3-4 ms.

AGD

Kevmaster
12-04-2002, 09:37 AM
for some odd reason i have 20ms written down from the tech class at the IAO....could that be the total time it takes for the bolt to go forward release the air and go bac?

toymyster
12-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Must we beat this dead horse anymore????
When you look at it, Closed bolt and Blow Forward work the same way, the only diferrence is the order in which things happen!!! Take a look:
Closed Bolt:
-Bolt opens
-Ball drops in
-Bolt closes
-Paintball is discharged
Blow Forward:
-Ball drops in
-Bolt closes
-Paintball is discharged
-Bolt opens
Do you think you can tell the diferrence in 20ms?? I guarantee you, the paintball cant!!!