PDA

View Full Version : Wow, This is just Silly. (Severe paintballs)

joeyjoe367
12-03-2002, 10:28 PM
Well, I was checking out some info for a local tournie that's going to be in my area, and I stumbled upon the Severe Paintball Website.

I decided to give it a look-see, and I was astounded at the amount of BS that I was fed.

check it out for yourselves:

http://mortonwebdesign.com/SevereNW.com/SevereNWFRset.htm

hit the "paint" link on the side navigation bar.

Basically, they're saying that their balls do this:

http://mortonwebdesign.com/SevereNW.com/BallFlying.jpg

The ball acclerates, then produces a vacuume in the front of the ball enduced by the deformation of the ball, and inertia. Once the Ball hits it's target, the paint inside will slam forward and break the shell.

"We make our paint a little different. We use more fill in our balls so when you throw it at the ground it will not break."

-Severe

lol Riiiiiight :P

RetroEclipseMan
12-03-2002, 10:32 PM
"We make our paint a little different. We use more fill in our balls so when you throw it at the ground it will not break."
That cracks me up. That stuff is pretty hard. I remember when you were using that stuff a while back joe, and it was bouncing off everyone you hit.

Cliffio
12-03-2002, 11:02 PM
ive shot some of the lowest severe paint, and it shot really good! i was actually surprised, it was severe field paint

but it shot good

Cliff

Severe
12-04-2002, 12:14 AM
"We make our paint a little different. We use more fill in our balls so when you throw it at the ground it will not break." - Severe

I swear I never said that! :D

xadamx
12-04-2002, 12:39 AM
hahah! yea well even tho the site is full of crap the paint is at least decent.

joeyjoe367
12-04-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Severe

I swear I never said that! :D

LOL!!! :D

But yeah, I have nothing against their paint, other than the fact that the standard stuff bounces like rubber. It's just this TOTAL load of crap they're saying about their paintballs, trying to "tech" them up.

TheBigRaguPB4L
12-04-2002, 02:19 AM
Only paint i have ever been shot with that has bounced off my tank............twice.

FESTUS33
12-04-2002, 03:38 AM
Then you never got shot by the old
Zap that had talc mixed in to prevent
wiping in tourney's. That stuff was
like getting hit with marbles.
It bounced off everything, tanks, goggles
hopper's. The only reason player's
went out was it hurt to much too stay in. :eek:

ogre55
12-04-2002, 01:33 PM
As for Severe Paint, all I have to say is YUK. A friend and I went to the last Castle Conquest at EMR, where we were stuck with this stuff. It was awful, and this was not just us, but 80 percent of the 300 plus other participants. It's small bore, with quite a few deformed balls in every bag. And every 10th - 15th ball would explode in the barrel.

As for just hard paint, nothing beat the first batch of Hotshot paint. This is going back 10 years or more now, however, me and my friends called 'em brushcutters as these balls would go through any thing other that real hard cover. You could play handball with this stuff. Not fun.

I think their shell was twice as thick as your average paintball. I can only imagine what these balls would do to one of the modern Sup' Air barricades.

Ogre

Dayspring
12-04-2002, 03:31 PM
Hey Ogre. Don't forget the Chronic we played with at LI AO day. That stuff took three hard throws against a table before it even thought about breaking.

-=Squid=-
12-04-2002, 04:52 PM
Whats BS about it? I dont think they are REALLY saying it gets all oblong when you shoot it. Just cause there is a stupid little picture doesnt really mean anything. Jeez, if you are trying to sell something you dont just say "its good" or "its just like anyother paint." That wont sell, and then when they give reason behind why its good people say "BS"

ogre55
12-04-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Dayspring
Hey Ogre. Don't forget the Chronic we played with at LI AO day. That stuff took three hard throws against a table before it even thought about breaking.

That Chronic was pretty tough but it still doesn't stack against that load of Hotshot. That was the only paint I was ever affraid to get hit with.

Oh and congrats on making Black Cell's roster Dayspring.

Ogre

FishHook
12-04-2002, 05:39 PM
I've shot alot of the "economical" stuff at the field i play at and it shot great, i have yet to try the other 89 or so types of paint they make :rolleyes:

on another note, i recentlly shot some worr paint that had the thinnest shell i've ever experienced. It seemed like it broke from just 1 drop from 6ft or so. My RT didn't have much problems with it (1 or 2 breaks), but my classic had a rough time with it. I found out later that my ANS bolt lost its fomie.

MindlessMicroMag
12-04-2002, 05:45 PM
what ever you do stay away from the silver balls with the lightning bolt on them. Our local field had them and you could shoot them straight at the ground 3 ft infront of you and they would not break.

SlartyBartFast
12-04-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
Whats BS about it? I dont think they are REALLY saying it gets all oblong when you shoot it.

Sorry Squid, but how about actually checking out the site? That's exactly what they're claiming.

Not only do paintballs not go oblong when shot (or if they did nobody has shown it), ALL paintballs are completely filled with paint. NOT just Severe paint as their web site claims is their big advantage. The manufacturing process makes it impossible for air to be in the shell.

It's not clear if the 'void' created according to their marketing tripe is inside the shell or not. Either way, the movement of fill has nothing to do with the breaking of a paintball. It's the brittleness of the shell that determines the breakage.

-=Squid=-
12-04-2002, 06:04 PM
I stand corrected. However, they still arent throwing out any BS. But you say that ALL paintballs are completely filled? You couldnt be further from the truth. I even read in APG (or PGI, cant remember) some article on rifling and it said it was no good because paint isnt filled all the way blah blah blah. And you cut open a paintball and it will NOT be filled allthe way.

Blazestorm
12-04-2002, 06:15 PM
I got gogged by severe standard... and it bounced off.

I heard this very loud CRAAACCK when I peaked out, I tucked in and asked for a paintcheck.. ref checked everywhere and I was clean. Bought a bag of it off a guy... worst paint I've ever shot, didn't shoot straight, and bounced off everything. Yes it did match, my evil didn't match as well and it shot perfect, I wub evil, evil r the best :p

joeyjoe367
12-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
I stand corrected. However, they still arent throwing out any BS. But you say that ALL paintballs are completely filled? You couldnt be further from the truth. I even read in APG (or PGI, cant remember) some article on rifling and it said it was no good because paint isnt filled all the way blah blah blah. And you cut open a paintball and it will NOT be filled allthe way.

I think the fill of the paintball is aside the point. They are claiming that their product does something absolutly bogus.

Not only are they saying that the inertia/g-forces create a vaccume in the front of the ball, they're ALSO saying that the PAINT itself WITHIN the ball is slamming forward, and thus causing the break.

Pure Silliness.

halB
12-04-2002, 07:06 PM
whats this bout no air in paintballs? of course u can have air, just leave your paintballs sitting still for a while, and you'll see the bubble urself

magman007
12-04-2002, 07:10 PM
well, im sorry you are all dissapointed. THe severe i have shot, the fp, tourny grade, and the cyclone was all amazing. yes, it was small bore, but broke everytime, even on the sup air bunkers! And it was really consistent. Im sorry others have not had the same success i had with their paint. MAybe it is a different process? because the stuff we get in chile is made in columbia.... well sorry everyone has had a bad time with it.. Therewere these balls from korea tho, i serriously thought they were marbles at first

I setped on one on concrete and it wouldnt break

dcmander
12-04-2002, 07:11 PM
You guys remember that Direct Hit paint?? The shell was pink/purple and I think the fill was pink?! The company was ran by a great guy to. He would SEND OUT free samples of like 30balls for FREE..no shipping charges..Just email him your address and he would send out a sample of 30balls within 2 weeks.

The only time I tried it was the sample, and man it was awesome. Real small (.682 or so) but it shot so good and the fill was very thick also. That has been the best paint I've ever shot. Best thing about it..it was 40$ a case!!! NO JOKE!

The guy stopped making it though because companies were trying to sew him I think and mess up his company..Sigh...I miss it :( I think that was about a year and a half ago or so.

Any of you remember that? He mentioned that he would try to start up a company under a different name but I don't think he did....Anyone have any info or have any idea what I'm talking about? :D

banzaimf
12-04-2002, 07:27 PM
playing around Seattle exposes me to quite a bit of Severe Paint. They are from the NW. From what I have seen their white box generipaint is tough. I mean REALLLY tough. The Terra is pretty firm as well, but their high end paint is really nice.

Problems I have heard with it. One of their guys left 20 cases out exposed for 2 days at Mardi Gras, the team shooting it was bouncing balls off guys all day due to the paint hardening up. (apparently they were asked multiple times to chrono as they came off the field because of other players getting doubled over. As a side note, the guy who did that got fired later). The local field that uses the low end stuff loves it cause they never have to worry about barrel breaks, in their rental guns. Not the best paint for me.

As far as REALLY hard paint. The original Victory paint from WDP. I emptied over half a hopper into a guy asking the ref next to him if any had broke yet. I kinda felt bad about that, but not as bad as the next guy who was squatting when I shot him in the butt. none of them broke either and he flopped out from behind his bunker in the middle of 3 of our team. He still only ended up with 2 breaks on him.

rx2
12-04-2002, 09:31 PM
I would think that, even if the paint held the shape in flight, that the fill would not behave that way inside of the shell. After all, the paint is decelerating once the pressure behind it in the barrel falls below a certain point. The fill, which would not be subject to barrel friction, nor drag, would decelerate at a slower rate, and thus move to the front of the shell while the paint is still in the barrel, or whenever it decelerates.

Of course, this is all assuming the paint holds its shape, and is not spinning, which is doubtful, at best.

Xerces
12-04-2002, 09:46 PM
dcmander i remember

it wasnt the best paint ive ever shot, but the fact that it was better than alot of paint that cost twice as much. by the time i ran out of my usual paint they didnt make it anymore. it was sad. why cant paint be cheaper

RT pRo AuToMaG
12-04-2002, 09:46 PM
I'm sorry, but i have to say Severe Standard fp is the worst **** I have ever shot. I lost a tourney because of it. I was playing a local tourney and I was shooting the guy, last round, and it constanly bounced off. We missed 2nd place by 15 points. If you don't believe me, I have a videotape of the tourney, the ref checks him and you can hear the ref say, that defiantly hit, it just bounced off.

Blazestorm
12-04-2002, 09:53 PM
I wanna see the video

btw

Banzaimf where do you live...

Myself, Retroeclipseman, Joeyjoe367, Footemps, Retardrice, and a few others play around here... maybe I've seen played with you or something... what do you shoot?

hardr0ck68
12-04-2002, 10:16 PM
LOL that cronic was killer
i spiked that stuff into a table like 3-8 times before some of it would break. it sounded like a bouncy ball hitting and it would just bounce off the table 2 or 3 feet and laugh at me...bad stuff. i wish i could have found a dry place to do a bounce test....needless to say my LX had no issues shooting it all weekend tho :p

Smokee_2_7
12-05-2002, 12:45 AM
Severe is our field paint at work. We have been using it for almost a year now. Its not too bad. the last couple batches have not been as good as the rest, though. as far as sever's claims: TOTAL B.S. I have seen TONS of bags that had broken balls in it. Bounces while playing: not too bad. the field grade is definitly a bit harder than the terra or cyclone. - - - but thats to be expected from a field grade ball (less breaks in lower end guns.)

As far as other's experiences with the paint- - -it's looking like it depends on how close you are to their manufacturing. The paintballs are made in Colombia, I believe. (yes, south america.) this would explain why magman007 has had really good experiences with severe paint.

I think the company needs to work out some bugs in their shipping and storage. the paint comes by boat to miami. from that point, it's standard distribution procedures ( i believe.) If they were having problems with controlling the temp. in some of the trucks the paint is shipped in, you could be getting paint that had gotten either too hot or too cold. Even the best paint in the world goes to crap when it's stored improperly.

just my 2 cents,

Carl

dcmander
12-05-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Smokee_2_7
Severe is our field paint at work. We have been using it for almost a year now. Its not too bad. the last couple batches have not been as good as the rest, though. as far as sever's claims: TOTAL B.S. I have seen TONS of bags that had broken balls in it. Bounces while playing: not too bad. the field grade is definitly a bit harder than the terra or cyclone. - - - but thats to be expected from a field grade ball (less breaks in lower end guns.)

As far as other's experiences with the paint- - -it's looking like it depends on how close you are to their manufacturing. The paintballs are made in Colombia, I believe. (yes, south america.) this would explain why magman007 has had really good experiences with severe paint.

I think the company needs to work out some bugs in their shipping and storage. the paint comes by boat to miami. from that point, it's standard distribution procedures ( i believe.) If they were having problems with controlling the temp. in some of the trucks the paint is shipped in, you could be getting paint that had gotten either too hot or too cold. Even the best paint in the world goes to crap when it's stored improperly.

just my 2 cents,

Carl

Thing is, why is it so popular in the US and Canada if it is made in Columbia?? I would think fields could get other paints for just as cheap that are better quality. =\

Smokee_2_7
12-05-2002, 01:24 AM
ahh, but why are spyders so popular if they are made overseas? seems to me that a gun that was made in north america would be eaiser to get.

ya follow me?

Point is, MANY companies based in the us actually have their manufacturing in another country. JT did this (dont know about since after the B.E. buyout) - - Jt's stuff was originally made in mexico. Compaines do this because the cost of labor is MUCH cheaper in many foreign countries.

If im not mistaken , severe is actually based out of florida. When you order paint from them, its either comes directly from florida, or from a distributor in your region that gets it diretly from florida. The trip from the actual manufacturing plant occurs beforehand. The paint is stored at severe's wharehouse until it is ordered.

back on the good paint/ bad paint thing: some of the best field grade paint i have ever seen is . . . . . . . . . . . . (oh no, you ready for this??). . . . Brass Eagle.

Big difference b/t this paint and that which are generally familiar with. My initial 'good' B.E. paint experience was from a few cases delivered by hand from a brass eagle rep. This stuff did not sit in a wal-mart distribution wharehouse for a long period of time, before being ordered to sit on the wal-mart sporting goods shelf for a loong time before anyone bought it. No wonder it was crap- - - wal mart probably didnt give any thought to the special temperature and humidity requirements for ensuring the shelf life or paint.

The B.E. stuff that came straight from the factory was just as good as ANY other field paint i had shot, and it was a HECK of alot cheaper. Not to mention that the sales rep. knew that we wouldnt be interested in the product based on the standing reuptation- - -so we were given a garuntee: Any cases that contained broken balls would be replaced. We decided to carry that paint for a time, and were actually pretty impresed with it.

Anyway, lol.- - -im tired of typing for now.

Carl

Dayspring
12-05-2002, 01:52 AM
Thanks. :)

Originally posted by ogre55

That Chronic was pretty tough but it still doesn't stack against that load of Hotshot. That was the only paint I was ever affraid to get hit with.

Oh and congrats on making Black Cell's roster Dayspring.

Ogre

dcmander
12-05-2002, 02:00 AM
ahh, but why are spyders so popular if they are made overseas? seems to me that a gun that was made in north america would be eaiser to get.

ya follow me?Paint is different from markers... You just can't be as rough on paint, shipping wise... And it has special requirements (temperature, humidity, etc.).

But....

If im not mistaken , severe is actually based out of florida. When you order paint from them, its either comes directly from florida, or from a distributor in your region that gets it diretly from florida. The trip from the actual manufacturing plant occurs beforehand. The paint is stored at severe's wharehouse until it is ordered.This makes sense. :)

badfish314
12-05-2002, 04:00 AM
I was also at Casle Keep at EMR when they were using the severe paint. We really didn't have ant problems with it. I noticed they use a different type of bag for their paint though. The bags are really thin and stiff, as opposed to diablo and worrpaint. Maybe that has to do with the problems some people had with it. It almost seemed like the plastic used to cover new cd's with. Just a thought.

Pand0ra
12-05-2002, 05:07 AM
This paint was incorrectly stored, that's all (in a place too hot, increasing the tickness of the shell).

I've played with the Severe paint for a year, before my team got another sponsoring. The tournament grade is still one of the best paint I've shot so far, just slightly behind the Zap Chronic (funny, no ;) ).
Poeple which were playing Camp Master last year in Paris could confirm the quality of the paint.

We had once troubles with the Severe paint, it was at Toulouse last year. The paint was incorrectly stored. The result was the worst paint we've ever had.
I'll always remember one of our match. 10 seconds before the beginning of the match, we shot two paintballs directly to the ground 2 meters away from us, just to see them bounce :rolleyes:
We hit at least 6 times a player in the right corner, two balls right in the gogles, one on the botle, and three on his chest. They bounced each time. The guy was laughing so much he decided to play one meter away of his position, right in front of us. All our paint was bouncing on him.

We lost the match, of course, and did our worst result in a Millennium so far.

Conclusion: always store correctly the paint, and check what you buy.

@++

dcmander
12-05-2002, 04:48 PM
LOL, thatd be funny. Play a paintball game where the paintballs don't break, so basically whoever can get to the flag and hang it first without dying from all the paintballs being shot at him wins ;) :D :D

It would be fun just lighting someone up like that though.. haha

SlartyBartFast
12-05-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by halB
whats this bout no air in paintballs? of course u can have air, just leave your paintballs sitting still for a while, and you'll see the bubble urself

You'll find that this is not 'air'. It's the pigment settling out of the liquid in the paintball.

The way paintballs are made you'd have to deliberately inject air for there to be air in them.

But of course the biggest BS about any claims about paint being "oblong" is that paintballs are decelerating after they leave the barrel. And whether accelerating or decelerating, any deformation certainly wouldn't be oblong. Forces on a paintball are either equally distributed over the back surface (while accerating) or equally distributed over the front surface (while decelerating).

magman007
12-05-2002, 05:31 PM
yes,i must say, cyclone paint is exceptionally good for its 40 dollar price tag...

Cyclone down here is so good. It comes straight from the factory, onto a plane and onto our field, where it is promptly stored correctly and used. It is awesome paint, apparently the us has the shipping problems