PDA

View Full Version : How do timmys work?

A.T.S
12-04-2002, 01:09 PM
How does the internal action of a Timmy work? What are the difference between the 2002, Dragon, Gz, and Iron man?

xen_100
12-04-2002, 01:16 PM
there is no difference at all..........all those different guns just have cosmetic differences. a couple have a different board that allows for a higher ROF, but the internals of the gun are exactly the same.

as for how they work. Just like any other stacked tube pnuematic. there is a hammer in the bottom tube that acts as a ram. a seliniod switches air to the back of the ram to fire and to the front of the ram to reset it. there is a pin in the bolt that connects the bolt to the ram/hammer. so, when the hammer moves the bolt goes with it.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/xen_100/animationimpulse.gif

that is for an impulse, but the basic idea is the same.

A.T.S
12-04-2002, 01:23 PM
Thanks do bushmasters and angels work the same way?

xen_100
12-04-2002, 01:35 PM
there are slight design differences, but basically they all work the same way. The bushy, timmy and the angel use an LPR to drive the ram. I dont think the imp does.

A.T.S
12-04-2002, 01:40 PM
LPR? is that a low pressure reg.?

xen_100
12-04-2002, 01:47 PM
yes, most of them work at under 100PSI. helps to keep the gun from chopping as easily.

A.T.S
12-04-2002, 01:57 PM
I see. How does a cocker work? (Sorry I only know blowbacks and mags).

A.T.S
12-04-2002, 02:01 PM
lol xen_100 we have the same # of posts!

xen_100
12-04-2002, 02:05 PM
a cocker uses a spring to move the hammer instead of a pnuematic ram to fire. the ram is used to recock the gun and to chamber a ball with the bolt. as we all know a cocker is also closed bolt.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/xen_100/animated-autococker.gif

that should clear it up.

Kevmaster
12-04-2002, 02:09 PM
yes. bushmasters, impulses, angels, timmys, tribals, vikings, and one or two others all work like a spyder...stacked tube openbolt junk ;)

no, very good guns

however, a cocker is a whole nother ball game

Vendetta
12-04-2002, 02:23 PM
I knew the Cocker was complicated, but I never knew how much. Does anyone know how many moving parts it has?

xen_100
12-04-2002, 02:23 PM
looks like 6 or 7 to me.

Thordic
12-04-2002, 02:25 PM
A cocker isn't all that different from a spyder either. Its essentially a closed-bolt pump spyder, if you want to go that far.

All the stacked tube guns are essentially the same. Classic intimidators are made with re-milled Spyder (Millenium) bodies.

It's a tried and true design. Ever notice that a "Spangel", or heavily modified electro spyder, will perform on par with most high-end electros? The reason being, after all those mods, it essentially IS a high end-electro.

A.T.S
12-04-2002, 02:34 PM
Lol we had the same # of posts. So in the cocker the trigger moves a sear releasing the hammer that is pushed forward striking the valve and firing the ball. Then the 3 way and "ram"(sorry do not know what to call the piston) push the bolt and hammer back. When the trigger returns to the forward position, the 3 way and "Ram" pull the bolt forward chambering a ball. The hammer is caught by the sear and the gun is ready to fire again. Did I get it right?

A.T.S
12-04-2002, 02:45 PM
It seams that with a properly designed 3 way a cocker could have a reactive trigger.

toymyster
12-04-2002, 04:42 PM
That is one of the best animations on a cocker I have seen yet!! And also, a cocker has somewhere around a hundred moving parts!! The 8 parts you see in the picture are part assemblies, not individual parts, add to those the parts inside the regulators, seals and springs, and you get quite a few moving parts!!

xen_100
12-04-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by A.T.S
Lol we had the same # of posts. So in the cocker the trigger moves a sear releasing the hammer that is pushed forward striking the valve and firing the ball. Then the 3 way and "ram"(sorry do not know what to call the piston) push the bolt and hammer back. When the trigger returns to the forward position, the 3 way and "Ram" pull the bolt forward chambering a ball. The hammer is caught by the sear and the gun is ready to fire again. Did I get it right?

that is pretty much it. they are not really THAT complicated. just tough to time correctly.

they couldn't really have a reactive trigger from the 3-way.(even if it was posible) that would shorten the "open" time on the bolt too much, it would chop like hell.

A.T.S
12-04-2002, 06:03 PM
Thanks for all the info!!

demonguy8
12-04-2002, 07:09 PM
in response to the cocker reactive trigger.... There was indeed a post about this in the Deap Blue forum here on AO(im lazy so i never actually provide links)

And one of the guys from Palmers Pursuit Shop (I believe it was Craig's son? correct if wrong) made a reactive trigger marker that is based off the autococker called the blazer.. the final result is a two of a kind marker known as the TEMPEST
Theres a vid of it shooting VERY FAST on the PPS website along with a disclaimer saying that they will never produce them for sale to the public for safety reasons... (Id sooooooo buy one if they did thought)

Aliens-8-MyDad
12-04-2002, 07:59 PM
um, could any one post all the animations, id like to see a shocker and a angel and a spyder and mabey a excal along with the 2 we have now

FalconGuy016
12-04-2002, 08:17 PM
Hey, after staring and the cocker .gif for 10 minutse and FINALLY getting those stupid things :) I figured out that I dont know how a mag works!! Could someone enlighten me?

Aliens-8-MyDad
12-04-2002, 08:22 PM
um, could any one post all the animations, id like to see a shocker and a angel and a spyder and mabey a excal along with the 2 we have now

Raptor3359
12-05-2002, 06:30 PM
heres a mag one

FutureMagOwner
12-05-2002, 06:43 PM
http://www.akalmp.com/akalmp/excaliburvids.htm
here are some excal videos but i dont know of any animations really

Ov3rmind
12-05-2002, 07:16 PM
Here's a Matrix animation:
http://www.ncsupaintball.com/images/animatrix.gif
And a Shocker animation:
http://www.hypersportworks.com/ShockerworkA.gif
I know there's an Angel animation floating around here somewhere, if I find it again, I'll post.

Automaggin2
12-05-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Thordic
A cocker isn't all that different from a spyder either. Its essentially a closed-bolt pump spyder, if you want to go that far.

Its not all that differenct from a spyder? are you crazy? Wow, the only thing i can see they have in common is a hammer and a valve. (besides trigger frame, bolt, blah blah blah).

A cocker is closed bolt, it operates when your pull the trigger, it releases the ram and strikes the valve, which releases air into the ball chamber, at the same time, its switchin air to the front of the ram, then when the trigger is release, the air switches again to the back of the ram, which forces the bolt to close.

now, a spyder....

sear releases hammer, hammer hits valve, air goes into chamber, hammer/bol gets returned.

IN MY BOOK, thats completly different.

Fred
12-05-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Automaggin2

Its not all that differenct from a spyder? are you crazy? Wow, the only thing i can see they have in common is a hammer and a valve. (besides trigger frame, bolt, blah blah blah).

A cocker is closed bolt, it operates when your pull the trigger, it releases the ram and strikes the valve, which releases air into the ball chamber, at the same time, its switchin air to the front of the ram, then when the trigger is release, the air switches again to the back of the ram, which forces the bolt to close.

now, a spyder....

sear releases hammer, hammer hits valve, air goes into chamber, hammer/bol gets returned.

IN MY BOOK, thats completly different.

note what he said to qualify it: Closed Bolt Pump Spyder (although he left out the automation to cock it). Hes essentially correct, I looked into building a pump spyder, the next step would be to add a pneumatic cocking system to make it semi auto, and closed bolt to boot.

(calling a pump closed bolt is redundant... unless you're talking about a pump mag or splatmaster, which are open bolt pumps...)

Replace the valve pin in a spyder, add a backblock to alter the connection between the bolt and hammer, have a ram cock it, and you have an autococker.

Thordic's right.

---Fred