PDA

View Full Version : Making A Paintball Portfolio to my school to make a team, help

CRog075
12-04-2002, 10:18 PM
Ok, heres the deal. My school, says they have everysport right? Well, the newest "sport" they just added, is water-sking. Wtf?! COme on now, theres not a lake close to me. So I have decided, to try to ask for a paintball team. I am right now writing a portfoilio on paintball. Please help me here in some areas. I got safety down, and how it can effect us in areas such as teamwork, communication, strategy, etc. Any more ideas and thing I should write down?

demonguy8
12-04-2002, 10:58 PM
Email or pm RAEHL. He's the president of the NCPA and should be able to help you out with whatever you need.

toymyster
12-04-2002, 11:00 PM
I am the sponsor of the paintball club at the school I teach at, I can tell you it's all about how you word things!! Make sure you emphasize safety and responsibility, and academic qualification of team members, a good phrase would be "will comply to all safety standards set forth by the school district and paintball industry", and make sure you refer to paintball as a sport every time you mention it, ie:"the exciting sport of paintball"!! Hope this helps!!

CRog075
12-05-2002, 03:44 PM
Thanks demo, I will pm him.

Thanks tony, I will do that. Got any other advice?

personman
12-05-2002, 04:52 PM
Dont call the guns guns, call them markers :)

CRog075
12-05-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by personman
Dont call the guns guns, call them markers :)

Yeah. I went thoughh what I have so far, to make sure I didnt use the word "gun" as some teachers hate it , cause they think they are "guns" :mad: :rolleyes:

Xerces
12-05-2002, 07:58 PM
yea, steer clear of words like guns(markers), shooting(marking or tagging), dead box(safe zone), killing (tagging them out) ive heard people talk about how amny 'kills' they got in a game. be as PC as you can.

Remington
12-05-2002, 08:12 PM
I could be wrong in saying this but you should emphasize how different they're(the school staff) interpretation of paintball is compared to what we all know it is. I.E, the "sportish" type of paintball involves a measured field with referees and such, while what they may concieve(woodsball/renegadeball) is exactly the opposite. You should also push to get a field set-up for practices and inter-school tournaments(tell them the tourneys can help raise money for the school). By building/having your own field you end up paying less in the long run because you don't have to pay/schedule for a privately owned field. Good luck, let us know if it works out.

P.S.

Make sure they know that girls are just as likely to want to play too. It's not a male-dominated sport anymore.;)

Xerces
12-05-2002, 09:16 PM
building your own field is alot more work than it sounds like. after spending 1000's of dollars creating it, there is always zoning laws, and the schools insurance will probably shoot up a good deal, if it is on site.

Koosh
12-05-2002, 10:18 PM
my advice would be to post it here before you turn it in. That way we can pick apart some things we don't like instead of just blindly suggesting ideas...

CRog075
12-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Xerces
yea, steer clear of words like guns(markers), shooting(marking or tagging), dead box(safe zone), killing (tagging them out) ive heard people talk about how amny 'kills' they got in a game. be as PC as you can.

Oh ya thanks man. I did use the term "dead box" and didnt think that shouild go there, but I couldnt think of another term, thanks. And also thanks for showing me to use "tagging them out" and "marking"

Originally posted by Remington
I could be wrong in saying this but you should emphasize how different they're(the school staff) interpretation of paintball is compared to what we all know it is. I.E, the "sportish" type of paintball involves a measured field with referees and such, while what they may concieve(woodsball/renegadeball) is exactly the opposite. You should also push to get a field set-up for practices and inter-school tournaments(tell them the tourneys can help raise money for the school). By building/having your own field you end up paying less in the long run because you don't have to pay/schedule for a privately owned field. Good luck, let us know if it works out.

P.S.

Make sure they know that girls are just as likely to want to play too. It's not a male-dominated sport anymore.;)

Thanks man, I will let you guys know how it goes. I am trying to finish this by Monday, so I can turn it in Monday. Thats a good idea, telling them its a female sport too, thanks for sharing that.

And I probably could make a field, as we have a practice football field, we could probable use that and use wood or that construction pipes for a field.

Originally posted by TheFlamingKoosh
my advice would be to post it here before you turn it in. That way we can pick apart some things we don't like instead of just blindly suggesting ideas...

Good Idea, so far I got a rough draft, heres what it is

(ps, no flaming please, as its just a rought draft, I havnt really been working on, Im not even close to done with it nor with correct spelling, or proper titles)

CRog075
12-05-2002, 10:23 PM
(remember, please no flaming, as its not close to be done, these are not the proper headings for each category, ans propler grammar, its just a rough dreaft for me to get ideas down) By the way, writing reports and stuff, isnt my best category, so any help would be appreciated.

Here it is:

The Sport of Paintball

General Information about Paintball:

In 15 short years, the sport of paintball has become recognized as one of the world's most exciting outdoor or indoor participation sports. Paintball is played in over 40 countries by millions of men and women of all ages and lifestyles.

Paintball is a combination of the childhood games "tag" and "hide & seek," but is much more challenging and sophisticated. Although there are many different game formats, typically a group of players will divide into two teams to play "capture the flag." The number of players on each team can vary from one or two, five or seven or ten, to over 1,000 on a side, limited only by the size of the playing field.

A paintball is a round, thin-skinned gelatin capsule with colored liquid inside it. Paintballs are similar to large round vitamin capsules or bath oil beads. The fill inside paintballs is non-toxic, non-caustic, water-soluble and biodegradable. It rinses out of clothing and off skin with mild soap and water, or just water.

"Markers," come in a variety of shapes and styles. They may be powered by carbon dioxide (CO2), nitrogen (N2) or compressed air. Many have power systems that use large refillable cylinders called "tanks" or "bottles" that give hundreds of shots before needing to be refilled. Some use small 12 gram CO2 powerlets as their power source, each powerlet being good for 15 to 30 shots.

How Paintball Can Help Us

Paintball is just not a regular sport, but it helps us in many areas. It helps us in teamwork, communication, fitness, strategy, and more.
1. Teamwork – Without teamwork, you’re team wouldn’t go any where in the field. You need teamwork to find out where the other team is “advancing”, where you’re teammates are at, etc.
2. Communication – Each position on the team needs to have a good communication. Black player position needs to yell out loud the players in front of him, telling them where the other team is, or if they should move ahead as it is clear to move. Mid and Front players also need good communication to succeed. They need to tell there teammates, where they are going, and who they are trying to “eliminate” from the other team.
3. Fitness – Like every other sport, you need to be fit. There is a lot of running, diving, jumping involved in paintball, and without being fit, you are not going anywhere up the field, besides out of the game to the “dead box”
4. Strategy – This works the mind well. You need to be strategic about how to make a move, how it should be done properly, and what you think the other team will be doing to make moves on you.

Paintball’s Safety Record

With paintballs perfect safety record, why should people be concerned with the safety? Why, when Paintball, is one of the safest sports out there?
Safety is always the TOP concern where ever you go. If you take your mask off for not even a second at a playing field, they will throw you off the field, as it in enforced strictly. Here is a list, of sport accidents:

• Paintball has a 0.31 per 1000 accident rate.
• Bowling has a 0.50 per 1000 accident rate.
• Golf has a 1.13 per 1000 accident rate.
• Baseball has a 27.67 per 1000 accident rate.
(Taken from, PaintCheck Magazine. June 1989)

As you see, this is out of date. But today, newer, better, safety products have been manufactured. So even in 1989, paintball has fewer injuries, than golf or bowling.

What I am Asking Of

All I am asking for is for Bowsher H.S to allow a paintball team to be made. I have been playing this sport, for 3 years now, and I am currently on two teams. I know everything about this sport, and could set it up easily. To play this sport, would be out of our own money, we pay for everything. We just ask for a paintball team for be recognized, to have a club, and to be a part of Bowsher H.S.

Xerces
12-06-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by CRog075
Paintball is a combination of the childhood games "tag" and "hide & seek," but is much more challenging and sophisticated.

i would say something along the lines of

'Paintball incorporates childhood games such as tag and hide & seek, but on a larger scale. it also contains more obstacles and challenges provided by the terrain and some strategically placed by the creator of the fields, such as bunkers.'

just a suggestion. overall it looks good

CRog075
12-06-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Xerces

i would say something along the lines of

'Paintball incorporates childhood games such as tag and hide & seek, but on a larger scale. it also contains more obstacles and challenges provided by the terrain and some strategically placed by the creator of the fields, such as bunkers.'

just a suggestion. overall it looks good

Thanks man. Any more ideas on what to add for more subjects, ideas, etc woul dbe helpful. Thanks

Remington
12-06-2002, 04:18 PM
I would try not to abbreviate words like middle and try not to use etc., but instead end the sentence with a period. Another subject you could talk about is the fact that quite a few colleges now have teams/clubs and there is even a National Collegiate Paintball Association(NCPA) dedicated to collegiate paintball(as well as at the high school level). I'm not sure how good you are with computers but in addition to turning in this paper you might want to consider doing a PowerPoint presentation. If you do, go in there feeling utterly confident that you will completely blow their socks off. Also, try and get some parents involved; in other words try and get a parent or parents to go in with you and tell the school staff about what they have seen as commonplace in the world of paintball. If you can get a parent that actually plays, all the better. Anyway, I'm digressing. Just remember to dot those I's and cross those T' and you should do fine.

P.S.
If they end up not allowing a team, then it probably just wasn't meant to be. But somehow, I think you'll get it passed. Just reaaaaaally emphasize on how safe paintball is, that's all they really want to hear(besides having a high demand for participation in(on) the team.

CRog075
12-06-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Remington
I would try not to abbreviate words like middle and try not to use etc., but instead end the sentence with a period. Another subject you could talk about is the fact that quite a few colleges now have teams/clubs and there is even a National Collegiate Paintball Association(NCPA) dedicated to collegiate paintball(as well as at the high school level). I'm not sure how good you are with computers but in addition to turning in this paper you might want to consider doing a PowerPoint presentation. If you do, go in there feeling utterly confident that you will completely blow their socks off. Also, try and get some parents involved; in other words try and get a parent or parents to go in with you and tell the school staff about what they have seen as commonplace in the world of paintball. If you can get a parent that actually plays, all the better. Anyway, I'm digressing. Just remember to dot those I's and cross those T' and you should do fine.

P.S.
If they end up not allowing a team, then it probably just wasn't meant to be. But somehow, I think you'll get it passed. Just reaaaaaally emphasize on how safe paintball is, that's all they really want to hear(besides having a high demand for participation in(on) the team.

Thanks, yeah, a power point presentation wouldnt be so bad. Also, today I heard another local school has a paintball team. I am going to find out, and if they do, most likely my school will jump the gun too.

jah871
12-06-2002, 11:34 PM
if it works out let me know, maybe you could give me some advice on how you talked them into it. i would love to see a paintball club at my school.

CRog075
12-07-2002, 12:08 AM
Np, and I see your in akron, not far from toledo. What school do to go to? I am going to talk to him Monday, I will let you know how it goes.

Bigzamboni
12-07-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by CRog075

2. Communication – Each position on the team needs to have a good communication. Black player position needs...

Make sure you change that.. if you already didn't...

Also.. I was thinking about trying to get something like a paintball club started at my school.. Mind if I borrow parts of that?

CRog075
12-07-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Bigzamboni

Make sure you change that.. if you already didn't...

Also.. I was thinking about trying to get something like a paintball club started at my school.. Mind if I borrow parts of that?

Opps, thanks for putting of that typo.

Yes I do mind :o

Haha jk....heck no I dont care, the more schools that allow paintball clubs, the happier I'll be :D

So good luck, and go right ahead

Devil
12-07-2002, 12:44 PM
A big thing to emphasis is how many other places it's being accepted...colleges..other high schools...even find some that are already started, call then and get permissions from them to use them as a reference to how it's going with them...

also...as far as the fields go...try and find a local pb field that would be willing to work out a deal with the school...that way the school wouldn't be in a financial place really, and the field could get more publicity...win-win situation...

as far as females playing...emphasis it...then get em on here and give them my pm...we'll "girl talk"...hehe;)

GOOD LUCK!

I'm not in High School anymore...but I'm thinking aboutgoing back to mine and proposing the idea...even "coaching it"...

another good thing to do would be to get some of the teacher staff to support you and offer to "coach" ...

:D

hope this helps...

CRog075
12-07-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Devil
A big thing to emphasis is how many other places it's being accepted...colleges..other high schools...even find some that are already started, call then and get permissions from them to use them as a reference to how it's going with them...

also...as far as the fields go...try and find a local pb field that would be willing to work out a deal with the school...that way the school wouldn't be in a financial place really, and the field could get more publicity...win-win situation...

as far as females playing...emphasis it...then get em on here and give them my pm...we'll "girl talk"...hehe;)

GOOD LUCK!

I'm not in High School anymore...but I'm thinking aboutgoing back to mine and proposing the idea...even "coaching it"...

another good thing to do would be to get some of the teacher staff to support you and offer to "coach" ...

:D

hope this helps...

hehehe....Ill see if they can PM you ;)

But, it would have to be after me and the girls squad shower ;)

Trench
12-07-2002, 02:52 PM
Leadership should be a real big one on that...