PDA

View Full Version : WHY IS Every one wanting a cocker?

magman007
08-27-2001, 05:06 PM
I want one personally cuz it has an awesome trigger and i love the feel of it compared to the mag, dont get me wrong i love my mag but the cocker trigger is just intriguing! plus cockers are more "hot rodable" any ways what are your reasons?

------------------
you ever notice how elves do everyting???

Load SM5
08-27-2001, 05:09 PM
I don't, I had one and did'nt care for it. They are pretty cool looking; I'll give you that.

------------------
Black vert.feed E-mag
68/4500 Dynaflow
12" Freak

DOZY
08-27-2001, 05:23 PM
my opinion on cockers is that they arent as reliable as mags. this one guy at the field never could get just take out his cocker and play, he had to miss like 3 games every time he played. that just isnt right. u like cocker triggers butter, why? longer trigger pull, harder to not chop balls. it is a lot easier to half-stroke with a cocker. i have a 2x trigger on my mag, i never chop paint with it. but i have to admit that electro cockers r better than mags. if u get a cocker get an electro

------------------
dozys uh pimp

my gunhttp://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1171482424

Flip540
08-27-2001, 05:25 PM
I want one cuz they look cool and when you fire them it make a cool click-ching sound.

------------------
Flip Out

Mini Mag (soon to be powderd red)
10" red cp
AGD Blade IntelliFrame
12v Revvy
Clear AGD Warp Feed
VL Fore Grip
Max Attack 68/45

For Sale...
ss remote
stock minimag barrel
4+1 pack

"I may rock, but im not made of stone"

"If its not part of the sulution, Its part of the problem"

magman007
08-27-2001, 05:30 PM
I love the sliding trigger! thats all, i could care less for the noise or perforlmace, what i really want is that sliding trigger! if agd made a sliding trigger for mags i would be in love! it is just that intriguing sliding trigger that i love!

------------------
you ever notice how elves do everyting???

a_malfunction
08-27-2001, 06:34 PM
A sliding trigger for a mag.... now that I think about it, it wouldnt be that hard for a company to do.... hmmmmm..... very interesting....

------------------
When in doubt, duck. When certain, don't bother, you're already screwed.

FeelTheRT
08-27-2001, 06:40 PM
i dun really know . . . i just like Cockers more.

paulballs21
08-27-2001, 06:54 PM
When I first decided to get a top end gun I went out and bought a cocker because everyone was raving about the accuracy and ROF. I owned that gun for 7 days. That's how long it took me to realize I wasn't an airsmith, or jr. airsmith even. Cockers have like 120 internal parts. Mags work on less than 10. The way I see it, cockers are 12 times more likely to breakdown. I sold my cocker and got the EMAG. Best thing I did for my game. If you like working on things get a cocker, if you'd rather be playing the game..........You gotta stick with a mag.

------------------
black Teflon E-MAG
bone stock and kickin'
12v revvy
91/3000 ACI preset
"If you think ROF doesn't matter, let's play"

LizzaRTgirl14
08-27-2001, 06:58 PM
I never thought I'd see you ay this Bill! GAH! IT makes me mad. I've heard all the excuses "The moving thingy" "it makes a cool sound" and everything.. it makes me mad.
Mags, in my opinion are more reliable than cockers, You don't have to time mags.

I don't know. I love the feel of mags. I just got to trigger job on my ReTro, and got some stuff so it;s better now than ever.

But.....I'm not sure if I'd ever get a cocker. their just...I don't know... off to me

------------------
~**~tEaM bLaCk IcE
MiD tO FrOnT cEnTeR~**~
ReTro Mag.....well..kinda

Muzikman
08-27-2001, 07:03 PM
Well...I own both. And Magman007 I do beleive you saw my Typhocker, right? Well, sliding triggers suck. It's kinda strange, for years everyone wanted a Pivot trigger, and now after they came out with pivot triggers for cockers, every one wants a sliding trigger. It's never going to stop!!! http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif But, to be quite honest, if you can shoot a sliding trigger better than a pivot, then more power to you. I could never get the hang of it.

BTW...the reason I like cockers (or atleast my Typhocker) is the smooth trigger. But I had to spend mucho bucks to get my cocker the way I like it.

------------------
Jason "Muzikman" Beam

68 Automag
68 Automag (Pumpmag) w/ 6-Pak+
Automag RT
Sydarm

http://www.pittsburgh-music.com/paintball

Dubstar112
08-27-2001, 07:09 PM
.... ugh... super soaker trigger..

well now that i finally played a game with a cocker,, i want one too.. i like the trigger pull.

lonelymag
08-27-2001, 08:23 PM
Ive shot all types of cockers and the way I see it is this: if you have a sweet cocker, nicely tuned and you know how to maintain it. then you have got a very nice gun. But if you don't have the time to learn how to fix them, the money to replace all the busted parts and find the right reg or whatever, then they are a pain in the booty. I love my mag cause ive never had a problem i couldn't fix in 1 minute on the field.

Arturus
08-27-2001, 08:30 PM
It's amazing what marketing to the mass can accomplish these days. Put that together with rumors of superior accuracy and consistency, along with what's "in" and "cool".

And tada! Everyone wants one before they know it.

http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Factor that out and it's usually down to preference. Although I admit I like the feel of a cocker's trigger-pull, I won't be changing to one anytime soon.

------------------
RT Pro - Chrome Powerfeed Right
Armageddon 68/4500
KAPP Chrome Apoc Drop Forward
12 vt Revolution
Lapco Aluminum Autospirit 12"

2000Sabre
08-27-2001, 08:39 PM
I think it has a lot to do with hype. It's like guys who play golf. When the newest, biggest driver comes out on the market everyone has to have one because they think it's going to make them a better player. I I think it's true with paintball markers as well.

If you have the coolest, most recognizable marker on the field you're going to get noticed and everyone is going to want to talk to you. You may even fool yourself into thinking you're even a better player than you really are. You're feeding your own ego. There's nothing wrong with that.

As for me, I'd much rather have a Sunrise Faded E-Mag because if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I don't want to have to spend a small fortune to get it to work the way I want. I also don't want to learn how to become an airsmith so I can service my own gear.

C¥borg
08-28-2001, 12:31 AM
I think cockers are reliable, I've owned 7, still have my first one (what can I say, I couldn't sell my first gun) which I completly upgraded, not a stock part left on it, cept for a few screws, I've never had it go down on me, and I've had it for 4 years. Out of all the cockers I've owned the biggest problem I had was jamming, and it only happend once in a used gun I bought, all I had to do was pull on the bolt hard and it was working again, easy to do in a game.

Actually my only complaint about cockers is all the nooks and crannies they have, you have to use a Q-tip to clean out the front if it get's hit.

hitmanng
08-28-2001, 01:26 AM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by magman007:
I want one personally cuz it has an awesome trigger and i love the feel of it compared to the mag, dont get me wrong i love my mag but the cocker trigger is just intriguing! plus cockers are more "hot rodable" any ways what are your reasons?

</font>
We like toys. I have a mag. The trigger intrigues me. I want a cocker too. Makes sense to me. Where is the Toymeister when you need him.
Hitmanng

------------------
Issha zetsumei -- The original "one shot, one kill"

nastymag
08-28-2001, 01:55 AM
well i bought a cocker about two months ago and now i want an automag http://www.automags.org/ubb/frown.gif
its just i love the trigger but thats about it the accurcey is the same. and 3 way is leaking so i had to buy a whole bunch of line . i just like mags

any body want my cocker

Maghog
08-28-2001, 05:51 AM
"A sliding trigger for a mag.... now that I think about it, it wouldnt be that hard for a company to do.... hmmmmm..... very interesting...."-a_malfunction
It would not be hard to do at all actually. I'm working on a sliding trigger for the E-mag, making one for the regular mag would be even more simple. Might be fun too.
I have about eight hundred other projects to finish first but I'll keep that one in mind.
Dan@Triggernomics

slayer
08-28-2001, 06:37 AM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hitmanng:
, dont get me wrong i love my mag but the cocker trigger is just intriguing!

[/b]</font>
We like toys. I have a mag. The trigger intrigues me. I want a cocker too. Makes sense to me. Where is the Toymeister when you need him.
Hitmanng

[/B][/QUOTE]

There is a lot of intrigue but the trigger of a properly timed cocker intrigues me also. Quite a sexy feel or something. The only trigger I like more is my emag trigger.

------------------
Death smiles on us all. The only thing we can do is smile back. --Maximus

[This message has been edited by slayer (edited 08-28-2001).]

Whisky
08-28-2001, 07:30 AM
I don`t like cockers personnaly, i just don`t like the feeling of the trigger.

------------------
"Give me an inch... I`ll give you a bruise" -Andy Kopcok, team Image
Snap Snap
Bang Bang
You`re Out

z-zero
08-28-2001, 08:01 AM
I have had a 2k cocker for almost close to two years and the thing I didn't like the most about the gun was the trigger. I thought it was clunky and had lots of play, A frame upgrade would help but stock they just don't feel good to me. I'm in the process of selling my cocker for a Mag, going against what everybody I play with says. I just want a tournament level marker that I don't have to go out and constantly upgrade for the best performance. The best performance stock is the way I want it.

z-zero

-§on-
08-28-2001, 08:15 AM
Yes, I do like the Cockers trigger and the Cool sound they make, but I like Mags just as much as I do cockers. They do look cool, but it sucks when they dont work, ask XSPYX.

------------------
Aim: TacticalJay
Email: TacticalJay8@adelphia.net
EMAG WITH:
Blue Warp Feed
Blue 12 Volt
68ci 3000psi Stub
Lapco Bigshot
12 inch Splashed red AA
Kapp DZII
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/thumbs.gif

mykroft
08-28-2001, 08:17 AM
Well, I've also owned both.
My hierarchy of triggers is such:

4. Stock Valve Mag
3. STO Cocker (45 frame and slotless plate)
2. Pivot frame cocker
1. ReTrovalve Mag

A well tuned cocker has a wonderfull trigger (Smooth like buttah) and is very reliabll, and timing a cocker takes about as long as replacing all the O-Rings in a Mag Valve for an experienced tech. They are excellent guns, but a lot less rod-able than you think as like the Mag, most of the best internals are made by WGP, in the cockers case you can't beat the STO front block, though you can get better than stock valves, hammers and bolts.

My personal setup, when I get my next cocker will be:

Black Magic Body Kit
KAPP milled front block (Chrome)
STO Sledgehammer Reg with Twister Kit
STO Ram
STO 4-Way
Belsales valve (I forget what they call it)
Rex Hammer Kit
Shocktech Superfly Bolt
Eclipse Pivot frame, or Benchy 45 frame with STO plate & Eclipse roller sear.
KAPP Beavertail & Cocking rod.
WGP Ergo Inline Reg

I'm still not to sure what I'm going to do about the triggerframes. And no this is not replacing a mag.

------------------
Mykroft Holmes IV
------------------
My Mags:
CF11023, Classic Feed, 16" CP .689, 14" JnJ Stainless, Ring trigger, WGP Reg, Diamond Labs Ti Reg Adjuster.

VV00614(Valve)/VV00423(reg), Black Teflon HR Powerfeed, 16" SP AA,14" JnJ Ceramic, AGD Intelliframe Blade, Benchy Crossfire cradle/on-off, black foregrip, Macroline.
PMI 48/3K Preset HPA

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" R.A.Heinlein - 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'

[This message has been edited by mykroft (edited 08-28-2001).]

skipdogg
08-28-2001, 08:20 AM
i dont want one.

rickiweb
08-28-2001, 08:48 AM
Cockers...not for me , I own a mag now and it is by far the best gun I never had . I saw to many guys on the field having timing problems with cockers....I just like the trouble free of a mag and the easy maintenence which you don`t have on cockers.

Allen
08-28-2001, 12:12 PM
First off, how do you know that is is hard to maintain when you have never had one? No more difficult than a mag.
I personally had a stock mag for a year, and loved it. Then I bought a Z-Grip and a 'cocker. Now I like 'cockers (the Z-Grip might be affecting my opinion). The first day with my cocker, I played better than I ever have; 2 flag hangs. I had only hung the flag once before, and now, twice in one day.
If you found a gun that helped you play better (This may not make sence, but think back to your last gun upgrade, like playing with a talon, then moving up to a M98. Not that 'cockers are that much better, but how much better you played with the M98.) would you use it? That is why I like 'cockers.

------------------
"It dosen't matter if you're skinny, dosen't matter if you're fat, you can dress up as a sultan in your onion head hat!"
Cake, Title:Fasion Eagle CD:Fasion Eagle

Micromag5371
08-28-2001, 01:15 PM
I want an autococker because you have SO many aftermarket possibilities and its a very mechanical gun...i love to tinker with things, customize, and work with my hands. the trigger pull is very nice and smooth.

------------------
"It takes a man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at him."

micromag s/n 003554
need a pic?- http://www.geocities.com/unblood/Paintball.html

MagMan5446
08-28-2001, 01:29 PM
This is just like the Harley vs. Every other motorcycle.

"You ride on a motorcycle, but you ride in a Harley"

My uncle didn't like his harley, now he has a Honda Roadstar...he enjoys that a lot more.

I like cockers for customization, but I like the mag trigger better.

------------------
"A Hungarian mob realized that to be in power, you didn't need money, guns, or even numbers. All you need was the will to do what the other guy wouldn't. When they come in power, they go after Soze. They break into his house, and Soze comes home to find his wife and his kids screaming. Soze then showed them what will really was..."

-Verbal Kint

The Usual Suspects

shartley
08-28-2001, 01:44 PM
MagMan5446:

Good analogy. And I will take that a bit farther....

What does it matter what you use, as long as you USE something? The important part of the equation is the word "Paintball"... you don't play "Cocker" or "EMag" or "Angel"... you play PAINTBALL. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

And if you ask serious Motorcycle Riders they will say the same thing.... what you ride is a personal choice, but the important thing is that you DO ride.

http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
“The richest man is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.”

Puckz
08-28-2001, 02:18 PM
I blame the internet for the "me too" fad surrounding paintball these days...

If you go to PBC you can see it in basically everyother post. Everyone wants something they can showoff to their "online" buddies. It's kinda funny really.

Why do you think AGD purchased AO, one of the best marketing ploys I've ever seen http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Mikey Smith
About Paintball Dude
http://paintball.about.com
paintball.guide@about.com

hitmanng
08-29-2001, 01:35 AM
I ride and I play paintball.
I don't have a cocker or a Harley but wouldn't mind either one.
Hitmanng

------------------
Issha zetsumei -- The original "one shot, one kill"