PDA

View Full Version : Is the e-mag overkill for a mostly rec player?

Tubby_Ninja
08-27-2001, 07:29 PM
Alright, I just purchased a sweet, sweet, lightly used black e-mag. I am dreaming of its arrival. I can say 100% that I purchased it because of the excellent reviews of the folks on this group, as well as Tom Kaye's obvious care for his customers. So, am I committing a sin by taking this thing on the rec field? I'll do it anyway because I just gotta have stuff, but I'd like a little feedback on your experiences.

Thanks!

Cha0tic
08-27-2001, 07:55 PM
the player makes the gun. well, to a certain level. if you suck, then a good gun won't help you. if you are good, it just might give you that extra edge. i wouldn't bash newbies with it, but use it to its extent...

-§on-
08-27-2001, 08:01 PM
Im tring to get rid of mine for that reason. I have no self control. I set dow the ROF and I just keep shooting and shooting and shooting. Im like the Energiser Battery on roids. I just get the rythem going and cant stop. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif You problay have more control than I do so I think you should be fine.

------------------
Aim: TacticalJay
Email: TacticalJay8@adelphia.net
EMAG WITH:
Blue Warp Feed
Blue 12 Volt
68ci 3000psi Stub
Lapco Bigshot
12 inch Splashed red AA
Kapp DZII
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/thumbs.gif

Webmaster
08-27-2001, 08:10 PM
If I had a nickle for every rec player who had a $1000 gun, I could buy another emag!

Use it wisely and dont light up newbies - but there are LOTS of rec players with nice guns.

------------------
Webmaster - AutoMags.Org
webmaster@automags.org

Weapon of Choice - "Mr. Orange" Orange/Yellow Fade E-Mag w/WarpFeed and 3000psi 88cui Flatline
----------------------
"Good...bad...I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

2000Sabre
08-27-2001, 08:13 PM
I think it's overkill only if you believe it is. Maybe you have no desire to play in tournaments but just want the best. There's nothing wrong with buying quality. I'd have to say buying an E-Mag or any Airgun Designs product is certainly doing that.

Also, don't fool yourself into thinking that having a great marker is going to make you a great player. You have to play to do that. There's plenty of guys out there that have $1500 markers that don't know how to play. Don't be one of them. Get out there and play and enjoy the sport the way you want to. Whether it's tournaments or recreational.

At least you know you've purchased a quality product and when your ready to move up to the next level you have a marker that can support you in tournament style play. Good luck and shoot straight.

[This message has been edited by 2000Sabre (edited 08-27-2001).]

Load SM5
08-27-2001, 08:16 PM
I own an E-mag and don't play tourneys. I'm not saying I won't ever but I don't have the time to devote myself to a team. I got mine because I've always loved mags and fell in love with an e-mag when I finally got to shoot one. Don't worry about it and enjoy your E-mag.

------------------
Black vert.feed E-mag
68/4500 Dynaflow
12" Freak

Tubby_Ninja
08-27-2001, 08:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far. I've been playing for a couple of years, and I'm a reasonable rec-baller with my Spyder. But I've longed for an e-mag from the first time I saw it. I'm old enough to realize how to handle it, but I don't want some parent pulling their little Jonny off the field after seeing my ROF. Also, newbies tend to think that you know what you are doing if you have a spendy gun, and I can't handle the guilt of leading them to their doom http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif.

MagShooter
08-27-2001, 09:05 PM
I would suggest maybe starting out with just a classic mag. If I am correct and you mainly play with a Spyder, I would recommend doing a slightly gradual upgrade..start with the classic to make sure you like the mag (some people don't like them at all). It's less expensive and shoots great (that's what I ahve and I take out people with angels and emags in tourneys quite frequently). But the best advice I can give you is to get the marker that fits your playing style.

Restola
08-27-2001, 09:18 PM
it is very rare around here to see a under-$500 gun on the field. all the regulars shoot cockers and angels. the rest shoot highly modified pirahnas and m98s (that cost as much as an angel). and then there are the renters.

around here there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to quality and visual appeal.

polorboy
08-27-2001, 09:41 PM
Talking about people who buy $1600 guns and don't know how to play. This one guy bought a new Angel LCD and thought he was invincible. He just walked down the field during the game shooting not think that he may be shot. A friend of mine was very well hidden and as soon as the guy with the new angel popped into view he took him out with one hit. By the way my friend uses a Model 98 custom. This guy was so mad it was hilarious. He seriously thought he was invincible and that no one would shoot him because he had an angel. Anyway he got wrecked the whole day by newbies and other people. I don't think I have seen him playing with the group I play with since then.

toymyster
08-28-2001, 02:15 AM
Good choice on the E-Mag!!! On a rec field, be ready to outgun everyone there!!! Specially if you have warp feed!!! Of course, like some others mentioned, it's not the gun, it's the player behind it!!!

------------------
Black Teflon E-mag
Warp feed
10" total Freak
Centerflag 201 68/45k

MajorDamage
08-28-2001, 04:59 AM
Overkill...? This word does not compute! It does not come up in MajorDamage's dictionary. Oh wait, I know why! There is no such thing as overkill! LOL, nothing is really overkill in my opinion, why not use the best for anything? Someone said something on here before about not wanting to use a nascar or something to go get milk. Why not? Taking things to the extreme is great! Like pulling weeds with a bulldozer, why not? Or taking an airplane to visit your nextdoor neighbor, or buying an ocean for a bathtub, its great! Why not use the best for everything? Ok, ok, so most of those arnt great, but the emag is great for anything! IMO

ENDO!

------------------
GO HERE!: <A HREF="http://wsnonline.8k.com" TARGET=_blank>http://wsnonline.8k.com

</A>The Witherspoon News! Sign the guestbook! It better than sunglasses, and twice as fragrent!

slayer
08-28-2001, 06:29 AM
Overkill? Nah, just don't overshoot someone. Three balls is sufficient, one if you can help it.
Remember just because you can doesn't mean you should http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif,but don't be afraid to have a nice gun, be happy.

Jacob
08-28-2001, 07:10 AM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tubby_Ninja:
Also, newbies tend to think that you know what you are doing if you have a spendy gun, and I can't handle the guilt of leading them to their doom http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif.</font>

Yeah, but sometimes, there's nothing more fun (especially in a big game) than taking a whole gaggle of newbies, and leading them on some mad push against twice your number. What's cool is that not only does it usually work, but those same newbies lose that "I'm afraid to play the front," mentality.

But really, there's nothing wrong with having a high end gun in a rec world, as long as that's what you enjoy playing with.
And, like the saying goes, "He who dies with the most toys..."

Russ
08-28-2001, 08:46 AM
My Kid and I are noobs. We started playing this spring. I bought myself a Micro E-Mag. I play rec ball. I have a Spyder also. I say "good for you", got the gun you wanted. Enjoy it. Life is too short...

------------------
Micro E-Mag in Wild Tiger ~ Conquest 88/4500 ~ PTP Warp Feed
Spyder TL+ ~ LP ~ eLCD ~ AGD Flatline ~ Warp Feed
TL+ ~ a few mods
Bob Long Millennium
ICD ThunderCat

[This message has been edited by Russ (edited 08-28-2001).]

StevoC
08-28-2001, 09:19 AM
To match what most have said, the gun doesn't make the player. You will be the final decision on how fast your ROF is. Use your best judgement.

When you come down to it, it's your choices that make the impact, not the marker.

Tubby_Ninja
08-28-2001, 03:48 PM
UP

(Sorry, it looked so fun I had to try it) http://www.automags.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Tubby_Ninja (edited 08-28-2001).]

E=Mag MAN
08-28-2001, 05:52 PM
Why not if some tells u u shouldnt have a nice gun for rec they are JEALOUSE all i haev to say i play rec i have emag i am about to join tourny team but i find nothing wronge with a person who likes to use a nice gun when he playes even if its just for fun. That would be like telling a guy who has a ferrarie who could afford it u shouldnt haev one because u dont race it. If hes rich and likes how it drives who the hell are u to tell him he shouldnt be driving it.

------------------
E-MAG with warp and a flatline.

WORKS GREAT

HeavyD
08-29-2001, 12:32 PM
every tubby ninja needs an emag.

Tubby_Ninja
08-29-2001, 12:55 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HeavyD:
every tubby ninja needs an emag. </font>

Well, look who's arrived! Nice to see another member of Team Tubby Ninja on the board.

MinimagRockin'
08-29-2001, 03:06 PM
As others have posted many rec players have super awesome guns so don't feel guilty. Also when your out on the field playing, be humble about it. Do your best but don't go trotting around like mr. hotshot, that's what will ultimatly turn your new gun into overkill, not the gun itself.

mag wannabe
08-29-2001, 05:28 PM
if you have been playing for a few years, I'm sure you will know how to handle the power of the e-mag. I will share a story tho. the first time I went paintballing at a field (had played woodsball in my yard for a few years b4 this) I say this family of three coming on to the field. It was a father and his 2 sons (kids were areoud 12-14). they had never played paintball b4 in their lives and each had a brand new top of the line angel, totaly decked out. thing is, they were really bad and I do not think the kids really liked it much. I think it was the saddest thing I have ever seen. probably 5000 bux worth of paintball stuff easily and they had never even shot one b4. anyways, I have a friend (very experienced) who playes woodsball with us with his angel. He is hard to contend with, but It is not imposable to get him out. (I bunkered him once with my spyder :-).) anyways I think if you get an e-mag, it will be just fine for rec ball. it might mean you are expected to carry a team a bit more... but hey, you got a nice gun...
-perry

Dude
08-29-2001, 07:52 PM
What I don't really get about newbies or newbs and their kids getting $1000+ guns is: where do they get the money. I'm in high school and don't have a job so saving up about $600 for a p/f automag and nitro was difficult. We are not poor by any means but, I just can't see average people (like me) going out and buying a couple thousand bucks worth of equipment for a sport in which they don't have much experience.

But if you've got the money buy the gun and be proud of it. Those who say the gun is overkill probably are just jelious.