PDA

View Full Version : I think my IntelliFrame contest entry is too big!

polorboy
08-28-2001, 10:52 PM
I just tried to print up one of my entries to show some of my friends what I entered and get there opinions and I noticed that it took up multiple pages. What I mean is that the top left corner took up one page, etc. Can AGD fix this when they go to print mine out or did I just have my printer set up wrong? I am kind of concerned now that my entries will not be eligible because I may have made it too big. What confuses me is that I made it in Macromedia Fireworks and I set the size to the size we were told in the rules thread and the resolution should be right. I hope I didn't screw it up. Sorry Tom if when you go to print mine up it waists pages. http://www.automags.org/ubb/eek.gif

Xzion
08-29-2001, 12:12 AM
when you printed it, does your puter/program have a print percentage, ive seen a few that you can set it to print at 150% and such, which might be why it was too big... I know Photoshop doesnt have one and it printed out perfect size. hope this helps.

PsychoMag
08-29-2001, 05:15 AM
What program did u print in? I used Illustrator 9.0, and Photoshop 6.0, and It is the proper pixel size, but when I printed the file on my buddys puter in KODAK picture editor, it was huge, but when I printed it on mine in B&W ( I am out of color ink) it was perfect.

------------------
PsychoMag..."Dogger"
RTP00440, Benchmark Offset Adj. HPA Cradle, Pro-Connect, 12"AA, 12"DYE SS, 12"Boomie, 14"JJ Ceramic, 68/4500 NitroDuck Tuffy, 12Revvie, Warp.
Team ArchAngels
www.angelfire.com/extreme2/archangels"
No Skill, No Talent, All Heart" ~ Oh Pawlak

shartley
08-29-2001, 06:28 AM
I don't know what Tom will do... he seems a bit more lax about the rules at times than I would be. http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif

But the Rules were pretty clear on what size the image HAS to be. In fact I made them SUPER simplified so that there would NOT be any confusion (and yet there still was on some points). I personally think it would be pretty unfair to those who actually followed the rules to take an entry that was improperly submitted and correct it.

And I have NEVER had a problem printing something I designed. It has never printed in any size other than what I designed it to print at, OR what I told the software to print it at. So, I would first go back and see what you printed it with and what the settings were (as others have suggested), that should answer your question as to if you actually designed it correctly.

If you did not.... that is Tom's call as to if he wants to resize it for you. As I stated, this might cause some conflict with those who did it right, and followed the rules (not to mention legal issues if anyone wanted to get picky about things). And it would also cause me to question why I took the time to make the rules in the first place.... I could have just made a long list of suggestions and let you all have at it.

No other contest would have been run with SO much help for the contestants. They would have posted the rules and that would have been that. If you entered something wrong, it would simply be disqualified. But that was not the case here... I spent 2 1/2 weeks helping with Tips, Software Problems, Design suggestions, etc. There has to be a line drawn at some point (no pun intended)... and for ME I think this is a good one to draw.

Points to ponder.

------------------
“The richest man is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.”

2000Sabre
08-29-2001, 10:54 AM
I think Sharley's right on with this one. If you entry isn't in the right format or size it should be disqualified. The only exception to this is if you submitted your entry before a rule was changed. I don't think any of the rule changes ever involved the pixel size. I'm sorry polorboy that you may be out because of a technicality but the rules were crystal clear. Shartley also went so far as to say to make sure you check your design out by printing it. Hopefully, your problem is related to printer setup issues and isn't a error in your design. But if it is, I think you should be disqualified. It's not fair to us who did follow the rules. Anyway good luck.

apache
08-29-2001, 02:56 PM
Probably his graphics software thinks that the pic is at screen resolution (72 dpi) but it actually is meant to be printed at 300 dpi.

polorboy
08-29-2001, 07:56 PM
I printed it in Macromedia Fireworks, I tried printing up a friends picture of something completely different the other day and it blew it up to a huge picture on the printer. So I think it is the software that screwed it up. I know I made it to the correct specs and I don't want to sound mean but it seams like those of you who think it should be diqualified are only doing it because it will better your chances. Anyway I do know that I made it correctly. Hey Shartely if I send it to you could you try and print it up and see what happens and let me know in e-mail? Thanks.

shartley
08-29-2001, 08:18 PM
polorboy:
I can understand you wanting me to answer you in e-mail, BUT you did not ASK me in e-mail. The appearance of impropriety by me answering you back in private when your Question was so very public, would taint the contest.

Also, I don't think anyone really wants you to be disqualified so that they would have a better chance of winning. And I am sorry you feel that way. It is simply a matter of following simple instructions and rules.

If you designed it correctly, but it is only printing wrong on YOUR end, you should have no worries, right? And in that case, if you DID send it correctly, you would NOT be disqualified, right? But if it is NOT.... ahhh, that is the point. And it is not up to those running the contest to verify if you did YOUR job correctly. I hope you can understand this.

And NO, do NOT send me anything. This would be the second potential disqualification. Please review the Official Rules Thread:
http://www.automags.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005624.html

Pay close attention to rule #11:

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">11) Do NOT e-mail AGD staff or SHARTLEY any of your designs for “Pre-Inspection”. Only entries e-mailed to the designated e-mail account will be accepted. Contest E-Mail Address is [email protected]!</font>

I also bumped it so others can read it if need be. But in this late stage of the game, all questions should have been asked and answered. Heck, I will even bump the Official Q&A Thread for you too.

I think this should end this issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

------------------
“The richest man is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.”

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-29-2001).]