PDA

View Full Version : 4500's safe?

FalconGuy016
12-08-2002, 05:42 PM
are 4500's absolutly safe as much as they can be :)? This is for my dad cause he is worried after I told him the PMI regulator blown-off story and almost killing someone

shartley
12-08-2002, 05:53 PM
Yes.

FalconGuy016
12-08-2002, 06:02 PM
*hug*

spazzed
12-08-2002, 06:05 PM
Excellent response Sam! ;)

*EDIT* Awww... Sam made a new friend! :D

shartley
12-08-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by spazzed
Excellent response Sam! ;)

*EDIT* Awww... Sam made a new friend! :D
LOL Short and sweet... like my Wife. ;)

And as for making a new friend.... Dagburnit! :mad:

;)

FalconGuy016
12-08-2002, 06:14 PM
:)

Automaggin2
12-08-2002, 06:25 PM
Well, technically, no high pressure tank is safe!

shartley
12-08-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Automaggin2
Well, technically, no high pressure tank is safe!
I don’t agree with that as a blanket statement. Any high pressure tank when/if mishandled, or if faulty in some way, can be dangerous. But to just say that they are “not safe” is not accurate. And it is most definitely not the answer to give to someone trying to assure their parents about the safety of paintball equipment.

Cars cause far more injuries to their operators than high pressure tanks ever have. But I am sure his father would not think twice about driving his son to the paintball field in one.

I own a 4500 tank and not only use it often, but allow my son to as well. His father should rest assured that they are safe to use.

personman
12-08-2002, 06:53 PM
:( For some reason I dont trust HPA that much, I always fear like the reg is going to blow off any second if I hit the tank, its gonna pop when I get it filled, ect ect..
I'm just paranoid..

einhander619
12-08-2002, 07:17 PM
if you don't like the idea of carbon shrapnel ripping through your torso, try this:
Blow really hard into your asa. You'll save a fortune and your gun will be lighter too!

personman
12-08-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by einhander619
if you don't like the idea of carbon shrapnel ripping through your torso, try this:
Blow really hard into your asa. You'll save a fortune and your gun will be lighter too!
Awesome, but I dont like the idea of running through the field like that trying to bunker someone..

HoppysMag
12-08-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by personman
:( For some reason I dont trust HPA that much, I always fear like the reg is going to blow off any second if I hit the tank, its gonna pop when I get it filled, ect ect..
I'm just paranoid..

keeps you on your toes and keeps ya from making mistakes...

thats why no fear = BAD
All fear= BAD
1/2 and 1/2 = kicks but

spazzed
12-08-2002, 07:37 PM
LOL Sam :D

*edit*

Hoppy, I disagree w/ you bud... There's no reason to FEAR it, and most things for that matter, but there is a reason to be Weary...

Think about it, do you wanna be scared out of your wits running around w/ one of those things? Won't be pretty...

MagKoko
12-09-2002, 12:53 AM
anyway, wasn't it the booster that blew? i dont remember the story clearly

C]-[iLDe
12-09-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016
...This is for my dad cause he is worried after I told him the PMI regulator blown-off story and almost killing someone...

I was under the impression that all HPA systems were tested to double their rated pressure? (i.e., a 3k is rated to 6k, a 4.5k is rated to 9k) Can someone clarify this for me?

Also, in time, you will learn NOT to tell you parents things that will cause them to worry and thereby limit your scope of allowable activities. The next time you want to make conversation with your folks, talk about sports or something...

synreal
12-09-2002, 10:27 AM
i believe it is 5/3rds the rated pressure.

CRiZO
12-09-2002, 10:47 AM
yeah they are totally safe, even if the tank was to bust, it would do nothing more than crack open and let all the air out. I'd personally be more afraid of the chaos going on in a co2 bottle.

Army
12-09-2002, 11:04 AM
Syn? 5 out of 3? :)

FalconGuy016, at the AO day in South Carolina, the field owner mistakenly filled my 68/3000 stubby to 4500. There was no problem then, or now, with it. Considering the tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of high pressure fibre-wrapped tanks in industry, military, firefighting, and paintball use, to hear of one failing is rare enough to cause a huge sensation in the news. I have never heard of one failing (bursting) while in use, but only during a fill, and those have been attributed to poor handling and/or ignorance of fill procedures.

Keep the tank free from dings, scrapes or cuts, honor the hydro dates, and don't worry about it:)

synreal
12-09-2002, 11:53 AM
unless i heard wrong, hydro testing involves filling a tank to 5/3rds its rated pressure (ie: 5000psi in a 3k tank), releasing the pressure and making sure the tank returns(within spec) to its original size (too much stretch/deformation and it fails hydro)

Strider
12-09-2002, 12:30 PM
My 3k flatline was tested to 5k...

FalconGuy016
12-09-2002, 04:11 PM
No my dad's a paintballer its ok :)

FalconGuy016
12-09-2002, 04:16 PM
are 4500's a little bigger?

banzaimf
12-09-2002, 04:34 PM
When originally tested to destruction for a design of bottle, Burst pressure of the bottle will be 4 times the operating pressure. For Mil Spec bottles, burst pressure will be 10 times the rated operating pressure of the bottle. Hydrostatic testing uses different ratings due to the fact that they are not trying to test to destruction.

HoppysMag
12-09-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by spazzed
LOL Sam :D

*edit*

Hoppy, I disagree w/ you bud... There's no reason to FEAR it, and most things for that matter, but there is a reason to be Weary...

Think about it, do you wanna be scared out of your wits running around w/ one of those things? Won't be pretty...

lol

thats why no fear = BAD
All fear= BAD
1/2 and 1/2 = kicks but
fine mabey fear wasnt the best word but u knew what i was trying to say.

Hexis
12-09-2002, 05:36 PM
synreal is correct. Hydro testing involves filling a tank to 5/3rds it's rated pressure. 5000psi for a 3000psi tank, 7500psi for a 4500psi tank and 8333.33psi for a 5000psi tank. The tank's displacement is measured before, during and after the test and that is used to determine if it's safe for further use. So a 3000psi tank accidently filled to 4500psi should not blow up, but it will stress the tank, and if done so on a regular basis it could rupture. Stick with the rated pressure, it's rated that for a reason.

FalconGuy016
12-09-2002, 09:55 PM
Hey, are 4500's a little bigger? For more material used or something

Automaggin2
12-10-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by shartley

I don’t agree with that as a blanket statement. Any high pressure tank when/if mishandled, or if faulty in some way, can be dangerous. But to just say that they are “not safe” is not accurate. And it is most definitely not the answer to give to someone trying to assure their parents about the safety of paintball equipment.

Cars cause far more injuries to their operators than high pressure tanks ever have. But I am sure his father would not think twice about driving his son to the paintball field in one.

I own a 4500 tank and not only use it often, but allow my son to as well. His father should rest assured that they are safe to use.

I have seen tranks blow under pressure. Air expands and contracts with weather, which most people dont think of. thats unsafe. What about regs that arnt put on right, that happens some times. another thing, your running around with a tank that is underpressure, if you drop it on a rock, it could explode. its liek running with a knife in your hand!

FalconGuy016
12-11-2002, 09:46 AM
the PMI story wasnt in the news or anything

shartley
12-11-2002, 09:55 AM
I have seen tranks blow under pressure. Air expands and contracts with weather, which most people dont think of. thats unsafe. What about regs that arnt put on right, that happens some times. another thing, your running around with a tank that is underpressure, if you drop it on a rock, it could explode. its liek running with a knife in your hand!
You have a point! Maybe you should stop playing paintball? :rolleyes:

pbguy87
12-11-2002, 11:18 AM
jeff jeff jeff

yes the tank is very safe :)
(kinda funny me telling you this)

xen_100
12-11-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by personman
I'm just paranoid..

yes you are very paranoid. scuba tanks have been around for about 40 years and they fill those to 4000PSI. This is not new technology.....

and as far as hitting a rock or the reg being put on wrong, yes these things are statistical posibilities, but of the hundreds, maybe thousands of fields in the country that play every weekend or more. and you never hear about those problems, so it cant be a serious problem.

personman
12-11-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by xen_100

yes you are very paranoid. scuba tanks have been around for about 40 years and they fill those to 4000PSI. This is not new technology.....

The funny thing is that I scuba dive..
I dont know why Im more paranoid, I just am..

Hexis
12-11-2002, 03:28 PM
I would be far more worried about a non fiber wrapped pressure vessel (scuba) than our paintball tanks. Those actually can blow up if they fail.

Automaggin2
12-11-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by shartley

You have a point! Maybe you should stop playing paintball? :rolleyes:

you goober, i know the risks of paintballing, i try not to drop my tank!

shartley
12-11-2002, 04:59 PM

you goober, i know the risks of paintballing, i try not to drop my tank!
;)