PDA

View Full Version : DYE nitro tank

Automaggin2
12-08-2002, 10:12 PM
ripoff of flatline? yay, or nay? what do you say?

xadamx
12-08-2002, 10:16 PM
dye makes quality products. but i love my pmi hehe

Gitaroo Man
12-08-2002, 10:26 PM
not really

rdb123
12-08-2002, 10:28 PM
Hmmm, I see that it's in Titanium.... would that be lighter than current Fiber Wrapped?

-Ron

HoppysMag
12-08-2002, 10:42 PM
isnt titanium very heavy?

rdb123
12-08-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by HoppysMag
isnt titanium very heavy?

I hear it's as light as aluminum..... Well, that's what I gathered from reading all the marketing hype at Dye about their Titanium Boomsticks. They supposedly have the durability of Stainless Steel, but with the light weight of Aluminum.

-Ron

petefol
12-08-2002, 10:51 PM
yes titanium is very light but strong, the only reason it is not used commonly is because if you do not use a strong enough blade to cut it you will end up ruining your tools because the titanium will dull the blades.

rdb123
12-08-2002, 10:52 PM
Hmmmm, personal question here...

Would you take the Dye Titanium Tanks over an Angel AIR?

-Ron

Gitaroo Man
12-08-2002, 10:58 PM
yes

rdb123
12-08-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Gitaroo Man
yes

Any reasons though? ;-)

Thanks

-Ron

Sinnet
12-08-2002, 11:01 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but titanium (check out the periodic table) is a very, very heavy thing. It is also extremely strong, though, and adding some small percent of titanium into an alloy of something like aluminum? will make it much stronger....

i think

AcemanPB
12-08-2002, 11:04 PM
I've never owned and AIR but I know several people who have and none of them were pleased with the tanks performance.

About the tank... is it supposed to be lighter than traditional fiber tanks? Also I noticed it didn't come in a 68ci tank size which I thought was odd. My bets are it will be a great product (like all of dyes stuff) except it will cost way too much (like all of dyes stuff)

BTW I just ordered some 2003 pants and gloves, can't wait till I get 'em! :)

azzkikr
12-08-2002, 11:11 PM
evidently I'm behind on this cause I've never even heard of dye making a nitro tank. can someone post a pic. thanks AZZKIKR

petefol
12-08-2002, 11:13 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41727&highlight=titanium
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25458&highlight=titanium
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25340&highlight=titanium
basically the reason titanium is not used is because the performance gained does not justify the extra cost it would take to make something of titanium or even a harder aluminum alloy.

MrMag
12-08-2002, 11:35 PM
yah, only the reg is titanium.

i dont know where you guys have been, but titanium is EXTREMELY light and EXTREMELY strong. it is also expensive. the reg is probably only partially titanium.

the A.I.R. system is good if you have an angel, and from what i have heard, they do not perform too well on any other gun.

the price of the dye tank is set somewhere around $550 i believe

Mossman
12-09-2002, 12:15 AM
Ti is not much lighter than aluminum at all, but it is stronger for certain things. I can't remember the properties that Ti has and doesnt have that make it good/bad at certain things, but for a tank reg I'm sure you could make a lighter reg out of a titanium body than AL.

For something like....say....a bolt, where lightness is important, titanium is a bad choice because I believe it has bad friction and where charactaristics.

I bet the Dye tank will be decent but nothing special. They dont seem to be bringing anything new to the table, I dont see why it would be any more consistant than any other mid-high end reg, it doesnt look to radically different than what's out there. However it does look sleek, sexy, and expensive.

MMMMM...the 2 S's and the almighty E.