PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know the internal pressure of a 12 gram cartridge?

ScatterPlot
12-08-2002, 10:43 PM
Well? Anyone? Also, the internal area? Any clue? Thanks
Bert

Aliens-8-MyDad
12-08-2002, 10:53 PM
i always wanted to know this too!..... i assume 600-1000

halB
12-08-2002, 10:54 PM
co2 always exerts around 800 psi, depening on two factors
1) temperature
2) whether theres still enough in there (after 3/4 of the way through itll drop off

ScatterPlot
12-09-2002, 04:44 PM
You mean paintball co2 or just co2 in general? Also what's the internal size (if you know)
Im building a potato gun with a 12 gram cartridge and dont want my pipe to explode on me :). I need it to be about 100 or so, and I have a 1" or 1.25" i think thats about 3 or 4 inches long. Thanks
Bert

xadamx
12-11-2002, 04:58 PM
theres no difference between paintball co2 and regular co2... they are made of the same thing.

ScatterPlot
12-11-2002, 05:01 PM
Sorry, I know that. I said it wrong. What I meant to say was do you mean CO2 when it is being used for paintball or in all applications of co2. No offense, but some people dont quite get that some things (like co2 NOT being at 800 psi) can happen. I was just wondering if he could be mistaken.

Conqueror
12-11-2002, 05:22 PM
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/gasses/co2pv.gif

That's a CO2 phase chart. Find the percent along the bottom of the rated fill (IIRC arond 90% for CO2 tanks, should be the same for a fresh 12g), then find the line that corresponds with the outside temperature. Look left to see the pressure inside the container.

CQ

halB
12-11-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by bertmcmahan
Sorry, I know that. I said it wrong. What I meant to say was do you mean CO2 when it is being used for paintball or in all applications of co2. No offense, but some people dont quite get that some things (like co2 NOT being at 800 psi) can happen. I was just wondering if he could be mistaken.

haha thats cute. co2 in a liquid state at room temperature will exert 800 psi, well, round bouts there. if you need it down to 100 psi why dont u just get a reg with low pressure springs?

xen_100
12-11-2002, 06:10 PM
actually you can do that........but you have to figure out how much 12grams of co2 will expand in the volume of space you wish to fill with it. then you will have the residual preesure left.

to give an example. if you just open a co2 into the air, does the air get pressureized to 800PSI??? no, of course not.

so if you empty a said amount (12 grams) of co2 into a set volume. it will have a set pressure. what that is, I dont know, you will have to figure it out. the trick here is.......ALL the co2 MUST expand into gas well before the 12 gram is empty, or you will pressurize the volume of space to alot more than 100PSI.

as someone else mentioned, you can also use a rock-reg and just set it for 100PSI. (that is what I did, I dont have a psysics major)

ScatterPlot
12-11-2002, 10:04 PM
OK I am not an idiot. The pressure exerted by liquid co2 is not exactly common knowledge, nor did I know that the co2 in a 12 gram was liquid. I havent frozen time and cut one open to see. I know that you are able to know this by the manufacturing process and that co2 at 800 psi is liquid. I have never done anything about 12 gram cylinders; I only wanted a stinkin air cannon. I wasnt sure if it would explode or not. I dont want to get any regs cause thats like 50 bucks cheapest.

Retardrice
12-11-2002, 10:21 PM
when u throw them on the ground hard they blow up and get really really cold :)

EDIT: they dont literally blow up, they just make a blow-up sound

FalconGuy016
12-11-2002, 10:23 PM
I need to try that :)

Retardrice
12-11-2002, 10:26 PM
i put an M-80 in a box of a dozen 12 grams...

i loved my cat fluffy :(

i also heard of the dry-ice bomb i havnt tried yet, put dry ice in a bottle then close it and run, i heard its amazingly loud and explosive

datapimp69
12-12-2002, 11:32 AM
to make the dry ice bomb work you need some warm-hot water in the bottle, then run..

i have a tato cannon that runs off of a 12 gram.

no reg.

the exp chamber is 8"

and it has never blowen up.

hope it helps.

halB
12-12-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Retardrice
when u throw them on the ground hard they blow up and get really really cold :)

EDIT: they dont literally blow up, they just make a blow-up sound

12 grams are so fun, i have this pipe set up that i can put on my bb gun and drop a 12 gram in and then shoot it. the bb pierces the neck and the thing FLIES right on out of there, its so awesome to hear it come down like 30 seconds later all the way down the street.

we also throw em in fires and run the hell away. it makes the LOUDEST boom and puts the fire out. cool as hell.

also, i wouldnt suggest the dry ice bomb, there is NO way of knowing when it will explode, it can literally be within 3 seconds or within a minute or never. its impossible to really know and therefore really dangerous. its not a small explosion either.

Conqueror
12-16-2002, 10:49 PM
Those of you that have PGPs can make yourselves a fun 12g launcher. Just cock the gun, drop a 12g neck first into the bottom tube, tilt the gun upward, and pull the trigger. They go far and fast.

CQ