PDA

View Full Version : A-5

DrunkinSeaCaptin
12-09-2002, 12:49 PM
i know this is the automag forum but who better to ask then the best there are alot of good paintballers on these forums so anyways is the Tippmann a-5 any good? has anyone used one that can tell me about it i don't know if i should get one of those or a minimag alright thank you

digitard
12-09-2002, 12:52 PM
I've heard they're pretty decent, but I've never personally been a fan of the "shotgun" style body of Tipmans ... its just uncomfortable to me.

In my own opinion, be it probably biased cause of my own preferences, I'd go with the Minimag ... Mags body designs are just comfortable to hold, and the reliability of a mag is unsurpassed even by Tipmans.

Sincerely,
Dave

Army
12-09-2002, 02:31 PM
Yes. The A5 is a "dressed up" version of their classic tippy, but with a twist to it's own loading system. Unlike the other Tippy models, the A5 has it's own semi-force-fed hopper system, that is intregral with the marker. You can only use an A5 hopper with it (leaving you with no choice in hopper style/color/design, a flaw if you ask me).

It rips out paint just as fast as any mechanical, and even faster with the Tippman RT Trigger system installed, (no, it's nothing like the 'Mag RT trigger system).

Tippy's have an enviable reputation of being built to take any and all abuse that a 10 year old helion can dish out, and come back for more. They are ungainly looking, and are muzzle heavy by their design, but will always be there for another day of play.

BTW, yes, they can be tourney guns, as Team Tippman Effect does very well with them on the NPPL circuit.

cheetah256
12-09-2002, 02:36 PM
if you need more info, www.tippmann.com has their own forums...

FalconGuy016
12-09-2002, 02:53 PM
If you had to choose between that and a minimag, the minimag would be a much better choice I believe. I owned almost all tippmann guns (Besides the A-5, but it isnt a whole lot differnet) and I just recently purchased the minimag. The minimag is a lot better :) And it has far better upgrades (RetroValve, Intelliframe, Warp, etc) and can be MUCH more customized than an A5 could be. And they look better if you ask me too. But the A5 is still cool :) some of them on the tippmann forums are CRAZY and insanely cool.

temps
12-09-2002, 03:28 PM
In my opinion the a-5 is just a new body and a new loader put on to a 98, with a new price tag to match. Personally I think that it is just not worth the money that they are asking. I would buy the a-5 over a 98 but nut over a mag.

Automaggin2
12-09-2002, 03:57 PM
If i were you, i would either get a Spyder Flash or a BKO. You will grow out of the A-5 quickly, and the accuracy on the A 5 isnt very good, AT ALL. The spyder and bo are both extremly fast and accurate stock.

Circus
12-09-2002, 04:04 PM
I have an a-5. I think they are very good markers, and the e-grip was just released today, so it is really going to be a monster. It is a good gun, I am a regular on the tippmann forums, but I think a minimag would be better. Are you a tourney player or rec? The a-5 can be a good tourney marker with the e-grip, but is also a good rec, and I have never chopped paint with mine. However, there is always that little part inside of me that loves mags, I kind of wish I had baught a minimag or 68 classic. I'd say go with the mag.

A-5's are good markers, don't get me wrong, but I think a mag would be better.

DrunkinSeaCaptin
12-09-2002, 04:28 PM
im a rec player im gonna wait to play tourneys till im older and have more money

digitard
12-09-2002, 04:34 PM
Drunkin, either get a Minimag or get a 68classic mag and build it up .... when you've got it to a "performance" point you like then you can always switch out the body on it to something else (minimag, etc). Both the Minimag and 68 classic have the same valve, just different bodies for the most part, so you get the same major performance and you can put a vertical ASA on the 68 classic for like 15 bucks.

You might even want to look into seeing what people have to offer in the classified forums .... normally you can find a good deal there and most people here are VERY helpful.

Sincerely,
Dave

Sir Chopsalot
12-09-2002, 05:47 PM
lol wow jarod doing your homework on a-5's are ya? i figured you were either doing this or playing ultima, are you still "sick"?

sniper05
12-09-2002, 09:08 PM
Hey I have an a-5 right now-they suck!! That cyclone feed system breaks about 8/500 balls. Responce trigger i tuned to full auto and still wasn't working. anyway buying my mini mag tommorow trading this p.o.s in. Beware don't get an a5!!

halB
12-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by sniper05
Hey I have an a-5 right now-they suck!! That cyclone feed system breaks about 8/500 balls. Responce trigger i tuned to full auto and still wasn't working. anyway buying my mini mag tommorow trading this p.o.s in. Beware don't get an a5!!

rofl, ignore this guy, the a5 response trigger system is different from the tippman m98c system, it cant go into runaway mode and cant be turned to "full auto"

Koosh
12-09-2002, 10:31 PM
my advice would be to try to shoot both of them... One of my friends has a A5 RT, and he loves it to death. It can fire VERY fast, and well, we all know about the accuracy thing. If you slap a palmer Stabilizer on it (for co2) or use Nitrogen along with a good barrel, and you'll have one mean gun...

I went directly from a tricked model 98 to a basically stock minimag and there wasn't a WHOLE lot of difference. The mag was just about as good as the tricked tippy, but I preferred the mag because I liked the trigger and compactness better. So thats my advice would be to try them both. IF thats not an option well... ummm... flip a coin?

mag_pbg
12-09-2002, 10:31 PM
My dad has a m98 and it is ok, not the best but still pretty accurate, now the A-5 I don't know the whole built in feeder kinda turned me off on it, but if it is what you like them go for it.

toymyster
12-10-2002, 12:41 AM
The only A-5s I have seen in the field have had problems with ball breakage in the feed system!! They are absolutely useless on the tourney fields because the hopper sticks out of the side of the gun too far, and they are just dressed up M98s!! Not that the M98 is a bad gun, it's just that the Mag a such a superior marker, you can't compare the two!! Instead of buying a low level gun now and another one later, just get a mag now, and save yourself money in the long run!!