PDA

View Full Version : shrinkwrap?

EsPo
12-09-2002, 07:07 PM
ive heard lots about shrinkwrap here on AO and im not sure what it is.. someone fill me in.

spazzed
12-09-2002, 07:18 PM
It's like a tube, and you heat it up. You'll never guess what happens then! IT SHRINKS!!! :cool:

EsPo
12-09-2002, 07:27 PM
so what does it have to do with pball?

Xerces
12-09-2002, 07:30 PM
i got a shrinkwrapping machine at work. basically its a big plastic bag that you put a game (or something else) in and then you use the burning hot lever to chop off parts of the bag that arent needed, and seal it. then you take a very hot blowdryer and the heat from that shrinks the wrapping.

EsPo
12-09-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by EsPo
so what does it have to do with pball?

spazzed
12-09-2002, 07:37 PM
There are two different kinds that I know of.. What I've told you about, & what Xerces said.

The stuff I said, you can put it on SS line to prevent scratches ;)

warpfeedmod
12-09-2002, 07:47 PM
I beleieve tht term youre looking for is heat shrink tubing. The stuff that's on DVDs, CDs and all sorts of others things you can buy at the store is shrink wrap. The stuff that people put on the stainless steel hose to prevent scratching, over wires instead of soldering, etc.. is called heat shrink tubing.

you can buy it at radio shack, best buys, whatever sells electronics.

Here (http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F002%5F001%5F000&Page=1) is a link to Radioshack's heatshrink tubing.

usually you "shrink" it with a small flame, match, lighter, etc.

EsPo
12-09-2002, 07:57 PM
so what is it that i put on ss, heat shrinkin tube or shrink wrap, or is it the same thing? got any pics of what it looks like on ss?

adam shannon
12-09-2002, 08:00 PM
or you can just use grease whip hose. http://www.fittingsandadapters.com/greaswhiphos1.html
its pre rubber coated braided line...and its not to shabby at $2 a foot as opposed to up to $10 or more that some PB stores charge for braided steel. just my two cents.

speedyejl
12-09-2002, 08:02 PM
its also used in electrical work, you sodder a connection then slide the tube over it and shrink it on. It stays on better than electrical tape and I find it real easy to use. You can buy a bag of assorted sizes and colors for about $5 at Radio Shack

EsPo
12-09-2002, 08:13 PM
adam: u sure that stuff is safe, if so,i may go with it, also what is the diff. between everything on the dropdown menu? is it just length? and also, what do i get, male or female?

adam shannon
12-09-2002, 08:17 PM
it was so cheap i bought 6 diffrent lengths.

its rated to 3000psi

ive seen it on guns in pics from agd's booth at tournaments...and my local field uses it on their fill stations.

i think ive seen it on the hello kitty x-mag that that young lady from agd has. im sure somebody can clarify that.

EsPo
12-09-2002, 08:20 PM
you wouldnt happen to know the length to the vert adapter from the valve on a mag would ya? also, i would need fittings and stuff with it right?

too bad they dont make it in like 2 inches.. i would need that for my gas thru/drop

adam shannon
12-09-2002, 08:25 PM
you would want 1/8 inch threads...thats standard to all quick disconects, vert adapters, on/offs in paintball. and most likely male connections...as they fit 90 degree elbows and quick disconects and vert adapters etc etc. all hosing for paintball is 1/8 inch and its all originally for air lines in machine shops...so its all pretty much standard.

EsPo
12-09-2002, 08:40 PM
just ordered some of that stuff.. now all i need is some connections.

adam shannon
12-09-2002, 08:48 PM
standard 90 degree elbows will fit that hose...kapp makes them, but im sure you could find regular hardware versions of them that would be waaay cheaper than PB specific ones. its all marketing almost all fittings we use are standard machinery fittings that actually cost pennies on the dollar compared to what we get charged for "paintball" fittings.

EsPo
12-09-2002, 08:51 PM
the only problem with me buying the ones not made specifically for PB is that i dunno what ones to get, im sure that there is like 8 billion diff. sizes at the local home depot, so ill just find some for cheap on AO. thanks alot for all the info every1

adam shannon
12-09-2002, 08:53 PM
1/8 inch is the sixe. male end goes into the valve on an automag or vert adapter or what have you...female end is for the hose or q/d adapter.

JEDI
12-09-2002, 09:05 PM
EsPo, this is what heat shrink looks like. It was oringinally the diameter of your finger, but you can see after its heated, well.. it shrinks. My SS hose is covered in sections of it, but you could find longer lengths. Shrink Wrap is a clear plastic film, and unless I'm wrong has no use in paintball.

http://www.deadcell.cc/images/lowriseemag004.jpg

I took off the SS hose, slid the heat shrink on, and heated it with a lighter. Real easy! You can see the scratches on my battery. These were prior to applying the heat shrink.

EsPo
12-10-2002, 03:54 PM
crap, the minimum order price was 20 bucks at the fittings/adapters page. looks like ill be goin with the shrinkwrap.. hmmmm... now where to get some stainless for cheap......

adam shannon
12-10-2002, 04:07 PM
my order was only $15.20 for 6 hoses, so im not sure why they wont let you order.