PDA

View Full Version : *revised* Which barrel kit is better?

FalconGuy016
12-09-2002, 07:40 PM
Edit: If you like the equation, say so in a reply and I will add them up :)

I revised the list to add the kits I forgot about :) Thanks for telling me them

I did a search and could find only specific info on some of the kits, and I was wondering what you all thought was the best. Sorry to reset it

Thanks

FreshmanBob
12-09-2002, 07:47 PM
powerlyte has stainless steel inserts, they can't rotate and they are longer than any other barrel systems. Also, only the freak has more variety in the bore sizes, and not by much.

FalconGuy016
12-09-2002, 07:59 PM
thats cool, so its a back and a front and a lot of inserts? Not like a lot of backs?

FreshmanBob
12-09-2002, 08:04 PM
yap. has a whole self centering thing too that looks like it works

blnk162
12-09-2002, 08:18 PM
smoke the pipe

FalconGuy016
12-09-2002, 08:37 PM
I heard of some people who are going to actually make the pipe automag capable at a machine shop

toymyster
12-10-2002, 12:04 AM
I do not see the best kit on the market on there!! The Equation pro set is by far the best barrel I have used yet!! Check them out, link is in my sig!!

FalconGuy016
12-10-2002, 03:00 PM
Sorry

if you like equations ill add them up if you say them and tell you at the end :)

Sooky
12-10-2002, 07:34 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but on all the other barrel threads, I have never seen this asked/answered.:)

Is it better if a barrel consists of only back(s) and a front (CP kit, J&J Edge, Pipe), or is it fine if it has inserts as well (freak, equation, powerlyte scepter)...

Mr. T!
12-10-2002, 07:50 PM
I prefer the barrel kits with backs, not inserts. Inserts can rotate, get crushed, not fit properly, etc. Get a CP

Sooky
12-10-2002, 08:10 PM
Is there a difference in performance?

FalconGuy016
12-11-2002, 09:42 AM
probably, but I havent owned either really, I know someone can answer that though

paintslinger
01-08-2003, 04:37 AM
edge, u get 4 backs, finish is nice, insides are nice and smooth. and its super cheap price of 114 at paintbaldiscounters.com

PsychoBaller
01-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Yah.... depending on price..... I've narrowed down my "not a fan of insert" choices to

J&J Edge Kit...
and a
CP Kit..

maybe a boomer if i have the money in the future..

~da "cost efficient" baller

Neo1111
01-08-2003, 11:28 AM
wheres the choice for a boomstick...they are the best

Evil Bob
01-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Freak (http://www.smartparts.com/spfreak.htm): I bought a total freak when they first came out. In all honesty, I'm not a fan of the Freak due to poor design of the SS back, I've seen them twist and bend, especially if you have forgotten to put an insert in before putting it on your marker. Neat idea, nice looks, poor design on the SS back. Inserts are 5" long.

Scepter (http://www.powerlyte.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1&cat=Scepter&subcat=19): Needs more barrel length options and colors to match. SS inserts is definitely the way to go if you like inserts. Got to play with one recently, the self align is neat. If I was into inserts, this would be the barrel I'd buy. I seriously considered buying one before I saw the Evil Pipe. Inserts are 6" long.

Evil Pipe (http://www.evil-paintball.com/pipe.htm): I like the idea of a solid back without inserts, they give you 5 and lots of options in front length with more color selections to come. Their web site is finally back up. Back lengths are 6" internal.

Equation Bizerk (http://www.equationusa.com/bizerk/bizerk.html): I've only heard of them, never seen one being used nor have I had the chance to see one in person. They use SS for the inserts (a big plus in my book) but also O-Rings on the inserts themselves (a big minus in my book). Inserts are only 4 or 5 inches long (regular back = 4", pro = 5").

The barrels that adjust are bad news. If you look inside them you will see a seem or open space on one side where the inner diameter collapses to make the bore tighter. I've seen these things chew up paint on field. It's just a gimmick.

I know there are plenty more barrel systems out there that I don't have here, I'm just too lazy to go searching for them now.

-Evil Bob

CRog075
01-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Argh thats getting gay. Why put PIE in a poll, if you want answers :rolleyes:

PsychoBaller
01-10-2003, 12:35 AM
tis all in good fun..... either way... it doesnt much affect the polling results... checkem out....

Freak.. then J&J, then Empire.... U get the picture anyways..

wyn1370
01-10-2003, 01:20 PM
the titanium longbow is also another option. I've got one with one back so far, haven't had a chance to get it to the field.

ICOM
01-10-2003, 03:53 PM
I would have to go with the scepters. Beterr inserts then all listed.

PsychoBaller
01-10-2003, 09:33 PM
considering I already have an expensive Ano'd Boomer for my SFL..... I've decided on the J&J Kit when I get some extra cash....

I mean they are only $115 for 4 backs and a front ano'd front....pretty nice I think

~da "someone give him $115" baller

rikkter
01-14-2003, 10:25 AM
why do people always have to have pie? seriously. goto a thread to get a serious answer but have to include pie which takes away the whole informative knowledge people want.

battlegroup
01-14-2003, 10:35 AM
It's expensive but very nice. I have 3 backs and a 12.5 inch tip and I'll be getting the 4th back and a 14in tip with that.

irrific
01-14-2003, 02:42 PM
First off, The Spector doesnt make SS Inserts the backs our but not the Inserts. equation makes SS inserts with EQ3 coating technology witch is twice as slick as teflon with no wear, no chipping and no flaking and the o ring/self aligning system they use is great, i have no problems with mine. I think equation makes a kick *** product

ß.C.
01-14-2003, 07:11 PM
why do people always have to have pie? seriously. goto a thread to get a serious answer but have to include pie which takes away the whole informative knowledge people want.

I could not agree more,

Falcon, you should tell people to vote only if they actually tried a few of the barrels, I mean personnally I've never used many of those kits, but I know the freak is great so I voted freak even though the others could be better, c what I mean?

Fatjon
01-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Not voting but have a question does CP make the CP kit for mags?

halB
01-14-2003, 09:38 PM
an equation came into the store on sunday. looked down the barrel and i was NOT impressed.

the equation barrel is about as polished as a stock spyder barrel. comparing it to a freak, the only thing it has going for it is the fact that the control bore is longer then the pathetic 5 inches of the freak, but not much. then again it was late at nite so it might notta been much longer. inside was also not slick or smooth either. bottomline, me no likey, bad quality

Peach
01-14-2003, 11:20 PM
As for the negatives on the freak, I would have to disagree. I love my SS 14" freak and wouldnt buy another barrel. The smartparts progressives are nice and cheap. The problem with the barrel "Back" kits is if you ever want a new gun, inclusing the x-mag which toats cocker threads. I realise some the the problems with the SS are legitamate claims and problems... But i shoot the freak on my minimag w/ gun grill and that protects it. I can see the problem using it on my emag, and will remember to keep an insert in it at all times. Thnx for the heads up on that... I highly doubt that im going to step on it or something stupid like that... but people HAVE done that...

Snewk
01-14-2003, 11:21 PM
I have a J&J Edge on my cocker, and I like it alot. More than a freak. But spacemanspiff says his Powerlyte shoots uber nice, I'll have to try one out. But I'm sold on J&J!

Peach
01-14-2003, 11:50 PM
I love the freak.... I can shoot the ****TIEST paint immaginable using it, and the lvl X. Around 40-50 for a case and none of my friends try to bumb it off me cause it sucks. And the funny thing is, after about six times of going paintballing the freak has paid itself over from saving 30-40 dollars on paint each time I go. It may seem expensive but once you can shoot the nell splat and stuff like that ALMOST as accurate as the marbs, RPS, and JT paintballs, you will say, "Damn this saved me a helluv alot a money." Well... or you could save 200 dollars on the feak and use ur 8 inch .693 bore... but you wont shoot accurate.. PERIOD... WIth good paint I liked the stock barrel...

Evil Bob
01-15-2003, 01:44 PM
I have personally witnessed the Freak SS back being made unusable in the following situations:

1 ) Superman dive into bunker, player tried to keep the marker off the ground as they slid in... barrel hit the bunker first, bent down and right.

2 ) Marker leaning up against a wall, it falls over, barrel strikes the wall or another object nearby, barrel bent up and left.

3 ) Tightening the barrel without an insert in... the back twists.

Smart Parts can easily fix this by making the back a bit heavier, it is currently too thin and the big "FREAK" cut into this thin section looks cool, but weakens it even further. Until they fix it, I won't even give the freak a second look.

-Evil Bob

darklord
01-15-2003, 03:53 PM
LOL Pie has the same # of votes as the J&J Edge! :D

If money isn't an issue I'd say the pipe.

irrific
01-15-2003, 06:09 PM
HalB,
Put your glasses back on your head, because the equation barrel has an insert length of 4inchs ( and its proven that's all you need ) and who knows what the owner of the barrel has done to the inside of the barrel to look unpolished. equation barrels has a 2-step honing proccess and then a finish polishing proccess

BTW.. Did you try it out?

paintslinger
01-15-2003, 06:31 PM
i just used my jj edge for the first time on my imp and all i can say is WOW. i was shooting blaze in 50 degree weather that was like 6x dimpled!! it still shot straight, great, and consistantly. velocity was like 255, 256, 255, 254, 257. it was beautiful. also i broke once and it shot out very nicely and i didn't need to squeegee until after game. i really recommend it.

halB
01-15-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by irrific
HalB,
Put your glasses back on your head, because the equation barrel has an insert length of 4inchs ( and its proven that's all you need ) and who knows what the owner of the barrel has done to the inside of the barrel to look unpolished. equation barrels has a 2-step honing proccess and then a finish polishing proccess

BTW.. Did you try it out?

sorry, straight and fresh from the company.

and i toldya, it was after a long nite, but it seemed large to me. im guessing 4 inches seeming long doesnt speak well about *cough* personal measurements *cough* heheheheeheh.

irrific
01-16-2003, 08:56 AM
I would highly recommend to try that barrel out, before criticism

Mickster
03-10-2003, 06:07 AM
has to be have tried them on other marker set ups an they seem to be highly accurate, would love one just a little out of my price range for the moment (first things first the i-frame :D)

Has anyone mentioned the dye boomstick :o, also a big fan of them very accurate barrels.

Mike

mykroft
03-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Few observations:

4" isn't long enough. See Tom's bit on barrels, 8" should be a minimum.

The Empire would be nice if it had picked useful bore sizes. 693 and 695 are useless, and it's smallest is a 687. Don't even think about this barrel if you shoot Draxxus or Chronic. Absolutely useless for me and anybody who doesn't shoot mostly seconds.

Freak: Can you say poor quality control? Best bore selection, most versatile back selection, but weak SS backs and problematic inserts. Insert/back length should be much longer.

Pipe: 'Bout the best choice I've seen right now. Needs an additional bore size around 679 for Imperial.

CP Pro Barrel: Good design, poor quality control (bore sizing doesn't always match up with listed bore, an issue with their other barrels as well). Like the Pipe, it could use another small bore back.

J&J Edge.: Needs longer back and more bore sizes, otherwise a nice system.