PDA

View Full Version : Question about chrome bodies...TOM?

PsychoMag
08-29-2001, 12:10 PM
I have heard that the chrome on automag bodies is actually a coating and aventually "flakes" off...is this true? or just someone downplaying AGD again? All the $$ for a Conventional gun, and the chrome is fake?

Be honest cuz if it is true, I am gonna swap with a kid on the field for hs black RT Pro body. I havent seen an older chrome body since the are not as common as the gray and black bodies of the mags.

------------------
"You want a shot at the title?"
PsychoMag..."Dogger"
RTP00440, Benchmark Offset Adj. HPA Cradle, Pro-Connect, 12"AA, 12"DYE SS, 12"Boomie, 14"JJ Ceramic, 68/4500 NitroDuck Tuffy, 12Revvie, Warp.
Team ArchAngels
www.angelfire.com/extreme2/archangels"
No Skill, No Talent, Just Heart" ~ Oh Pawlak

Nitroduck
08-29-2001, 12:37 PM
Chrome flakes off even if its a real chrome base.......

Custom Products barrels do it because of the fact the insides are chromed as well.....As long as you dont beat the gun up, it should be fine.

slayer
08-29-2001, 12:46 PM
Huh...I always thought the "chrome" emag body was just highly polished stainless steel. Is it actually some type of finish???

Webmaster
08-29-2001, 01:30 PM
The chrome automag is a steel body with chrome plating. Any and all chrome can flake off. Unless I believe its industrial hard chrome, which isnt really that shiny. All chrome you see is a plating - using - I believe, an alloy with chromium. (ok I may be way off here.)

So no, you arent getting a cheap body with a cheap coating. Any chrome you see will be a base metal with a chrome plate. You CAN shine up a stock automag body - but with out a plating it will wear and get dull.

And yes - the chrome COULD flake off - but its a very uncommon thing to see. Think of how many 10 year old cars with still good looking chrome on the bumpers. I personally have never seen an automag body have chrome flake off. I suppose it could happen, but if you 1/2 way take care of your gun, it should last a long long time.

------------------
Webmaster - AutoMags.Org
[email protected]

Weapon of Choice - "Mr. Orange" Orange/Yellow Fade E-Mag w/WarpFeed and 3000psi 88cui Flatline
----------------------
"Good...bad...I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 08-29-2001).]

cphilip
08-29-2001, 01:44 PM
Webby brings up a good point. Older chrome jobs were so much more durable because of the amount of Chromium they were allowed to put into the brine. EPA has since forced the lowering or the Hexavalent or Trivalent Chromium (can't remember which right off hand but could look it up if need be). One form is toxic the other is not so much. Chromium is an EPA - RCRA Hazardous Waste now, with the EPA waste Code D007. Because of this reduction in the formulation, the quality is not as good as it was many years ago. But it still can be pretty good if properly applied. Hey go look at an old 1940's or 50's junk car in the woods. It will be rusted away all but the shinny chrome bumpers. Man they made good stuff then. But the environment suffered from the wastes so this is a good thing.

[This message has been edited by cphilip (edited 08-29-2001).]

davej946
08-29-2001, 02:57 PM
So then, for clarity, are the polished automag bodies (AM/MM) polished stainless steel, or chrome plated?

Thanks,

------------------
David M. Jones
Loyal AGD Customer For Life
"I love my Mag more than my girlfriend - is that wrong?"

TheTramp
08-29-2001, 04:09 PM
The "polished" bodies are just what it says, polished. You could do the same thing to a gray body yourself but it'll take you a very long time without some sort of polishing tool. It'll take a long time even with the tool now that I think about it.

------------------
"Relax. Don't worry. Have a Home Brew."
-Charlie Papazian

PsychoMag
08-29-2001, 04:16 PM
I take very good care of my RT Pro, It is never dirty, and it was what I was told. I have never seen it flake, but I do prefer the chrome, so therefore I am keeping my body...

Thanks guys!

------------------
"You want a shot at the title?"
PsychoMag..."Dogger"
RTP00440, Benchmark Offset Adj. HPA Cradle, Pro-Connect, 12"AA, 12"DYE SS, 12"Boomie, 14"JJ Ceramic, 68/4500 NitroDuck Tuffy, 12Revvie, Warp.
Team ArchAngels
www.angelfire.com/extreme2/archangels"
No Skill, No Talent, Just Heart" ~ Oh Pawlak

mikey101
08-29-2001, 04:31 PM
It actually doesn't take long at all to polish your grey body. I did it and it took about 2 hours of sanding, and then I put mothers mag polish on it and it gave a nice shiny finish!

MinimagRockin'
08-29-2001, 05:13 PM
Yes the chrome "could" flake off. Will it? Probably not. It's definately not something to worry about. Just think, how many times have you seen a chrome bike, bumper, or for that matter paintball product flaking? I believe the right term for it is pilting, by the way.

Webmaster
08-30-2001, 12:36 PM
To clearify - AGD sells:

steel grey
chrome plated
black teflon coated

bodies....

If you see polished its someone who polished up a grey steel body. All bodies are stainless steel

------------------
Webmaster - AutoMags.Org
[email protected]

Weapon of Choice
"Mr. Orange" Orange/Yellow Fade E-Mag w/WarpFeed and 3000psi 88cui Flatline
----------------------
"Good...bad...I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness