PDA

View Full Version : cocker threaded insert for standard mag bodys

Lee
12-09-2002, 07:49 PM
feasible from a production standpoint? would it be worth it in a buisness sense?

a local pmi rep has told me (not sure how true this is though)that mag type barrels aren't being produced by some companies anymore. his evil pipe bomb brand is not made in a mag twist lock style. an insert might make more barrel styles and brands availabe to those of us who either don't want to or can't get a marker with the cocker threads.

i'd buy one.

just some food for thought......

zbody
12-09-2002, 07:58 PM
Doc already makes them. Check out http://www.docsmachine.com/galleries/threadedmag.jpg and http://www.docsmachine.com/galleries/magadapter2.jpg

Blennidae
12-09-2002, 09:04 PM
Anyone ever try one?

Lee
12-09-2002, 10:04 PM
thanks z

how can i get a hold of doc?

zbody
12-09-2002, 11:43 PM
Try emailing him at doc@docsmachine.com

Lee
12-10-2002, 07:21 AM
thanks again. as soon as i posted, i realized you had the link to his site on your message. i checked it out and emailed him.
i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed and i overlook the obvious once in a while :-)
thanks!

Brak
12-11-2002, 09:57 PM
thats unpossible.

good idea, an insert that had mag threads and you screwed a cocker barrel into that, but then more and more companies would stop making mag barrels

Bront
12-12-2002, 06:09 PM
More and more companies are stoping the manufacture of Mag barrels, at least in initial runs. Look at several of the new barrel systems out there, and you'll note than many of them do not have mag backs.

thei3ug
12-13-2002, 12:47 PM
The walls are very thin. there are three round holes in the body corresponding with three feed positions. right, center, left. no slots. put insert in mainbody. align feed. the barrel retention pin will fit into one of the holes locking the insert in place. snug as a bug.

The only problem is where to put the detente. I've had a few ideas, but there's really nothing reliable with the space provided.

In doc's picture, it looks like the insert is threaded for a cooper-T style ball detente. It's my conjecture that permanent modifications to his mainbody were made to facilitate this, perhaps even using the detente to lock the insert into place on the body rather than using the barrel retention pin. It was meant to run on an already modified body, so a little more wouldn't hurt.

These are probably the reasons no one has marketed one to date.

Lee
12-14-2002, 07:37 PM
hadn't thought about the ball detent issue. i was just pondering when i wrote the post.

i emailed doc from the link provided but no answer yet.
i bought a slug body anyway and am going to put my retro valve and level 10 in that since i have 3 cocker barrels and can use my mag barrels in my pump mag and loaner mag.

i think the trend right now is towards cocker threads in most markers anyway. people will buy one gun and some barrels then buy other guns that they can interchange them with. that way, you keep the barrels, lower your expense everytime you get a new gun or a second (or third or fourth for some of us :-))and etc.

i saw a list recently of types of guns that use cocker thread...boy was that a long list.

rdb123
12-15-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Brak
thats unpossible.

good idea, an insert that had mag threads and you screwed a cocker barrel into that, but then more and more companies would stop making mag barrels

Yeah, well you could buy Doc's adapter and save the extra 20 bucks each time you buy a mag barrel.

That money would add up after awhile.

-Ron

mykroft
12-16-2002, 04:33 PM
I would suspect Doc requires the specification of what body you want it for. That would allow him to use a Matrix style detent or a modified Cooper-T (Flushmount) detent.

thei3ug
12-16-2002, 07:16 PM
mykroft, how would you modify a cooper-T to fit, or even a matrix?

rdb123
12-18-2002, 09:55 PM
How much is that insert adapter thing anyway?

-Ron

mykroft
12-19-2002, 02:19 PM
Thei3ug:

For the matrix, it's very thin, so just press fit it in to a hole prepared like the Matrix ball detent hole. For the cooper-T, screw it in and then mill it off.

mh53eplt
12-23-2002, 12:43 AM
Eddie at Wildfire, Atlanta GA has aluminum mag to cocker adapters for sale at $24.00 each. For anyone who is interested in purchasing one his email address is wild@akorn.net I have one and it works great.

Kevmaster
12-23-2002, 08:39 AM
Eddie!!

Tell eddie that Kev from PTI back in the day wants him to come on and get on AO! Eddie needs his dose of AO now...

but seriously, Eddie is a great guy, i may have to get one of those just to try it out

Lee
01-14-2003, 12:20 AM
i emailed eddie and bought one for $30.73 including ups shipping. i won't be able to use it for a couple weeks since i'm working some weekends, but will update and let you all know what i think about it.