PDA

View Full Version : To double regulate or not to double regulate

NCP-Rockett
12-09-2002, 10:19 PM
Do you think using an inline regulator on a 68/3000 flatline system would do more harm than good?

Or, vice versa, do you think the flatline system doesn't even need an inline regulator?

thanks.

ChucktheMAGician
12-09-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by NCP-Rockett
Do you think using an inline regulator on a 68/3000 flatline system would do more harm than good?
thanks.
Yes. If you did you would actually be triple regging, the flatline reg. the inline, and the AIR or Retro valve. The only way I could see it workin is if you ran the flatline at 1000psi, and the inline around 800psi. That of course would be a waste because you could save some money and just run the flatline at 800psi!:)
--edit-- I assumed you were running this on a mag!

Nobody077
12-09-2002, 10:29 PM
If your using it on a MAG it would be a third reg. 1st-on the flatline ,2nd -the in-line and 3rd- your AIR valve. I think the extra in-line reg would be overkill and only cause airflow restriction

Nobody077
12-09-2002, 10:30 PM
LOL :D posted almost the same thing at the same time

ChucktheMAGician
12-09-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Nobody077
LOL :D posted almost the same thing at the same time
Either AO madness, or great minds think alike, take your pick!;)

NCP-Rockett
12-09-2002, 11:02 PM
Errr, sorry, I should have specified

I was wondering about a cocker.

thanks for the replies.

EDIT: and by working better, I mean being more consistant.

OldSchoolMag
12-09-2002, 11:22 PM
On a Cocker, I can't imagine not running an Inline reg, no matter what kinda tank I had.

OSM

NCP-Rockett
12-09-2002, 11:26 PM
Aww, I was looking forward to using one of those new Adrenalin gas-thru grips that they have on the new AIs. What kind of consistancy am I looking at without a 2nd reg? (Stock internals)

thanks

xmetal2001
12-09-2002, 11:50 PM
You are going to want to double regulate with a flatline and cocker.

TRIAD
12-09-2002, 11:56 PM
You could get a double-regged tank like the new screw-in pms ones, because the secondary reg then gets 1K psi or so ALL the time, so there's not really any drop-off with less psi. The first reg gets the psi down to like 1K, then the second one takes it from there. I believe this enables you to eliminate most lower tank pressure-related drop off.

toymyster
12-10-2002, 12:02 AM
Remember, on a mag, there is a regulator built into the valve!!! So it already is double regulated!!! With an inline reg you are triple regulating the air, which is really overkill!! And you will probably starve the gun and have shootdown problems!!!

Shane-O-Mac
12-10-2002, 12:16 AM
double regging.
the reason for double regging is that the primary air systems output will go up a little bit as the tank pressure drops. the secondary reg does also, but it does very little because the tank pressure will go up about 10-30 psi (depending on air system) and the change after it goes through the second reg is 2-5 psi which is acceptable. supposedly max-flows dont need double regging, but i always use a secondary reg to eliminate any air system spikes. but on a mag a second reg is not needed. the AIR valve is your secondary reg.
Shane-O

NCP-Rockett
12-10-2002, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I'll be sure to add a 2nd reg to it now!

..any suggestons? I was thinking about a mac-dev..

thanks.

Aliens-8-MyDad
12-10-2002, 08:36 AM
ive been thinkin of gutting my mag AIR reg and just running a vertical reg made by air america. im wondering has anyone tried this and is it more consistant?

JEDI
12-10-2002, 09:35 AM
NCP-Rockett, I would get a Sidewinder Reg Made by AKA. I think if you do any research, you'll find they're one of if not the best, most consistent inline reg. They're very simple, and easy to use. They also come in two colors (black & chrome) and three lengths. A very good choice for a Regulator. Here's my cocker with Inline SideWinder and Flatline tank. (Thats a short chrome side winder)

http://www.deadcell.cc/images/adamcock.jpg

Shane-O-Mac
12-10-2002, 01:20 PM
gutting the air valve and running off another reg has ben done. palmer makes a side tap stabilizer that works well for that. i am also going to do exactly what you said alien, i am going to run mine off an Air America messiah. as for secondary reg choices, go with the AA messiah or vigilante', for the price, the vigilante' is the a great choice, and you cant beat a 100% lifetime warranty.
Shane-O

Ityl
12-10-2002, 02:03 PM
It's not really worth gutting the air and doing that. If the AIR is well mantained it will easily be as consistent if not more than those regs. Keep it well oiled and change orings if needed.

toymyster
12-10-2002, 04:02 PM
There you go!! Ityl hit the nail on the head; the AIR is actually a very consistent regulator!! Seem to me people who gut the AIR in favor of another reg just like to waste their money!! The difference you get in velocity variations and accuracy is purely academic!!

NCP-Rockett
12-10-2002, 05:28 PM
Damn, nice setup you got there JEDI. I think I'll go for the sidewinder after all. What do you usually get over the chrono?

Thanks for all the replies guys

JEDI
12-10-2002, 11:27 PM
I usually chrono right through the Side Winder, and leave the IVG alone. Its really consistant. Actually I rarely "chrono" it. Its more like checking to see that its right where I left it last time.

But any way the past few times were some where like 275, 276, 278, 275. It very rarely bounces more than 5 fps in either direction.