PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to see The Two Towers on Wednesday?

rdb123
12-10-2002, 05:44 PM
I sure am right after exams. =)

-Ron

personman
12-10-2002, 05:55 PM
No pie = Hell.
I dont watch movies in theatures anymore, I dont like the amount of people, and if its a funny movie they dont stop laughing, and you cant hear, and you can pause DVDs for a trip to the bathroom, and you arent forced to buy the snacks (although I sneak them in anyway).
In two words..
DVDs RULE!

The two towers can wait just like the fellowship.

Archangel Damien
12-10-2002, 06:05 PM
i`m going on the 20th:D

Clare
12-10-2002, 06:06 PM
I'll definitely be there on opening day!! I can't wait! :D :D

AcemanPB
12-10-2002, 06:36 PM
I have finals all that week, so me and some firends are going to go see it Friday, :D can't wait.

Load SM5
12-10-2002, 06:44 PM
Wednesday 7:15. I'll be there.

Spray Painter
12-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by personman

LOL, i saw the fellowship for the first time about a month ago:)

Timmee
12-10-2002, 07:27 PM
I'm probably going to go to the Wednesday afternoon matinee, as long as I can plan to get enough sleep afterwards so I can go to work that night.

halB
12-10-2002, 07:30 PM
thank god for moviefone.com, no camping for me :D

rdb123
12-10-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by personman
No pie = Hell.
I dont watch movies in theatures anymore, I dont like the amount of people, and if its a funny movie they dont stop laughing, and you cant hear, and you can pause DVDs for a trip to the bathroom, and you arent forced to buy the snacks (although I sneak them in anyway).
In two words..
DVDs RULE!

Well you've gotta admit that the Pie thing is getting old, so.

And I think the main reason adolescents like myself go to the movie theatre is that there are usually some lovely ladies there ;-)

Originally posted by CaPoEiRa
I'll definitely be there on opening day!! I can't wait! :D :D

Yeah, I can't either. I loved the books when I read them in 3rd and 4th grade; too bad I have semester exams up until 1PM though. :mad:

Also, did any of you happen to pick up the new release of The Fellowship of the Ring with that re-integrated 30 minutes?

I hear it's good.

-Ron

Clare
12-10-2002, 07:42 PM
Also, did any of you happen to pick up the new release of The Fellowship of the Ring with that re-integrated 30 minutes?

yep, got it! It's awesome :)

rdb123
12-10-2002, 07:44 PM

Ah ok cool. So definitely worth the 30 dollar price tag (at Best Buy)?

-Ron

lopxtc
12-10-2002, 07:45 PM
Got two tickets for next Tuesday night :) first showing :)

Aaron

Spray Painter
12-10-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by rdb123

Yeah, I can't either. I loved the books when I read them in 3rd and 4th grade

-Ron

did you even understand them:confused:

aaron_mag
12-10-2002, 09:19 PM

Is our AGDiva a serious Tolkien nut or what? I mean 30 extra minutes. The first one was long enough (but I must admit I loved it).

My wife wants to go to the show for her birthday (the 20th). Talk about getting off easy for a birthday present.....:D

rdb123
12-10-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Spray Painter

did you even understand them:confused:

Yes I did fully. I still remember most of it until this day.... When I was watching The Fellowship of the Ring, I was pretty amazed that what I had envisioned in my head was what was actually on the screen.

Amazing

-Ron

EsPo
12-10-2002, 09:49 PM
hehe. i know lots and lots of people who work at the local theatre, so i get to see it for free at like 1:00am when no1 is there.

Gitaroo Man
12-10-2002, 09:57 PM
I'd go if i didn't have finals!! AHHH!!

GreasyPigeon
12-10-2002, 09:57 PM
i guess i am the only one that didn't like lord of the rings. cause every one that i know said that lord of the rings is so cool. i saw it and i wanted my $8.50 back.

rdb123
12-10-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by GreasyPigeon
i guess i am the only one that didn't like lord of the rings. cause every one that i know said that lord of the rings is so cool. i saw it and i wanted my $8.50 back.

Bah...... Boooooooooooo! j/k

-Ron

yeahthatsme
12-10-2002, 10:28 PM
i get an adrenaline rush whenever i think of it!!! i would camp out but i would probably get hurt/something else bad as the theater that will have the movie is in the kinda bad part of town so thats not gonna work... i think that going to get the tickets the second they open will suffice...

davidb
12-10-2002, 11:43 PM
It has one of the coolest previews I've ever seen. I would love to go see it, but don't want to be there with a crowd. Besides, I'm going to be in a play all the rest of this week (playing Ebenezer Scrooge, of all things), so I'll be far to busy.

BTW- Aaron_mag, this may not be quite as applicable to you since you're married and therefore live with your girl, but three hour movies make GREAT dates. :D

MantisMag
12-10-2002, 11:59 PM
i think i'll go after the crowds die down a little. i don't like fighting with all the nuts.

rdb- i loved the feeling of "wow this is just like i imagined. all the little details that subtly cue off of the book really made the experience great for me. on the special edition the extra footage is definitely worth it. you'll recognize a few things from the book that didn't make it into the final cut of the movie. there's also extended sequences that explain things a little bit more. all of the extra footage is good stuff. it's not stuff that got cut because it sucked. they got cut because they weren't central to the story and the movie was pushing the edge on length already.

capo- have you looked at that free ticket thing that came with the special edition? i haven't really looked at it yet. are there any restrictions?

greasy- i guess fantasy just isn't your thing? there weren't many problems i could see with the movie. the music was a little repetitive. good but repetitive. the transformation scenes (gandalf, galadriel, and bilbo changing appearance and voice) were a little overdone. other than that i've got no gripes with the movie at all. the acting was good. the special effects were pretty darn cool. BALROG! and the story flowed very well. the books kinda dragged on with way too much detail. they could make an entire movie of just getting to the prancing pony. :rolleyes: think the movies are long now? imagine a trilogy based on just the first book. :eek: i think it lost a lot of the suspence that you find early on in the book but i definitely have to agree with the decision not to draw that part out. too long. and the explanations wouldn't have flowed as well as a flashback midmovie.

this post is getting long i'm going to stop now. ;)

RPK
12-11-2002, 12:14 AM
I saw the fellowship with my family (mom, stepdad, brother, and stepsister) so this year we are planning on going to see it on christmas eve!!

RPK

aaron_mag
12-11-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by MantisMag
the transformation scenes (gandalf, galadriel, and bilbo changing appearance and voice) were a little overdone.

I felt the same way! But they were also overdone in the book as well. In some ways I actually like the movie better. First off I actually liked the character of Aragorn in the movie. In the books you get a little sick of him talking about how he is the son of blah blah blah. Aragorn in the movie had some doubts...he was human. You could actually identify with him.

The Boromir character was also done just right. They didn't make him a simple character (hate this character. he cannot resist the lure of the ring). They got him just right....

It was a good movie. As you can see I can get a little over analytical...

Clare
12-11-2002, 12:39 AM
Is our AGDiva a serious Tolkien nut or what?

yes, definitely! :)

Ah ok cool. So definitely worth the 30 dollar price tag (at Best Buy)?
Well, it is definitely worth it if you want to see more from the book. There's more character development, and more background into what is to come. The extras are great too, took a while to watch them all.

capo- have you looked at that free ticket thing that came with the special edition? i haven't really looked at it yet. are there any restrictions?

I just looked at it briefly so I didn't get to read the restrictions. I'll make sure to look at that, next time!

the transformation scenes (gandalf, galadriel, and bilbo changing appearance and voice) were a little overdone.
I agree with you on Galadriel's scene being overdone. I didn't quite like the way they did it. Apart from that, I loved everything else. The score, acting, and special effects were exceptional! :D

wyn1370
12-11-2002, 08:09 AM
I'll be there for the 12:01AM show on opening day. This is a tradition for all LOTR and star wars movies for me and my friends.

PaintballSucka
12-11-2002, 09:29 AM
oh Im most defintely going to go see the movies, almost done with the book and already got my tickets 3:30 Wed Dec 18. Man I cannot wait, its gonna be the best movies out there, because the books was killa.

Strider
12-11-2002, 10:29 AM
OoooHhh yeh, I'll be there!

Take a wild guess where I took my nickname from? :p

Read it about 10 years ago now...

Timmee
12-11-2002, 10:56 AM
I probably won't read the LOTR trilogy until after I see the final movie. It seems that I enjoy a movie MORE if I don't read the book first. I made the mistake of reading Episode II: Attack of the Clones before I saw the movie, and while I liked it, it wasn't as enjoyable as it could've been.

To get back on topic, I can't wait to see The Two Towers. The first movie rocked, and was very well produced.

Creative Mayhem
12-11-2002, 11:40 AM

I got it and its worth every penny I paid...

C Mayhem

rdb123
12-11-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by davidb
It has one of the coolest previews I've ever seen......

Yeah that part with Legolas sliding down the staircase shooting his arrows looks awesome.

yes, definitely! :)

Well, it is definitely worth it if you want to see more from the book. There's more character development, and more background into what is to come. The extras are great too, took a while to watch them all.

Ha ok cool I'll pick it up. I'm going to have a hard time justifying that I own both the first release and this new release though, haha. =)

Also, did you guys know that Massive(tm), the 3D prog they used to make those dynamic, random movements of those armies costs about $50,000?

The developers want it to be free to students who are taking 3D Design like myself, but so far, the owners of the program do not want it to be free to students. Darnit! =\

-Ron

BlackHalo
12-11-2002, 01:36 PM
I get to see it tonight (Wed the 11th)! It's nice working for a company that buys rights to all the big licenses (007, Harry Potter, LotR...).

Hexis
12-11-2002, 02:39 PM
I was pretty sure they wrote Massive for the LotR movies.

I hope they do The Hobbit as well. I would love to see a movie with more Bilbo.

Darn, last year I got to see FotR a week early, I wish I could find someting similar this year. That would be tonight.

Trigger_Happy
12-11-2002, 03:50 PM
Maybe this has been said, but you forgot one option: midnight showing.....hell ya

rdb123
12-11-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by BlackHalo
I get to see it tonight (Wed the 11th)! It's nice working for a company that buys rights to all the big licenses (007, Harry Potter, LotR...).

Lucky! :p

Originally posted by Hexis
I was pretty sure they wrote Massive for the LotR movies....

Correct. I recently asked if they will license it out to students and they told me that they will license it out to everyone at a cost of $50,000 regardless of use.

Looks like I know what I'm going to ask for this Christmas. :D j/k

Originally posted by Trigger_Happy
Maybe this has been said, but you forgot one option: midnight showing.....hell ya

Yeah, well I figured that would somewhat fit into "I'm going to camp out."

-Ron;)

Spray Painter
12-11-2002, 07:42 PM
I was pretty sure they wrote Massive for the LotR movies.

ya, they used massive, theres one seen in the two towers(assult on helms deep) that there are 50,000 characters fighting. in the last one there will be over 100000 in one battle(think it's the last battle)

rdb123
12-11-2002, 07:44 PM
The link if anyone's interested:
MASSIVE (http://www.massivesoftware.com/)

This is just amazing for me considering I spend a great deal of my computer time doing 3D Animation. Some of you might not know this, but without that program there, an artist would have to script every single movement. So if the action calls for the fighter to swing his right arm in an upwards slash, you have to script him cocking his head back, his forearm rotating, and the flexion of his brachioradialus -- Lot's of work!

Just utterly amazing considering a new program does all of this for you randomly. However, it takes a huge workstation with nearly 10GB of RAM just to pull it off.

-Ron

Spray Painter
12-11-2002, 07:49 PM
they had a big article in popular science about lotr and massive, it was pretty cool.
thanks for the link rdb123

datapimp69
12-12-2002, 11:35 AM
im taking a longggggg lunch on wensday...

:)

Hexis
12-12-2002, 11:51 AM
I think when you hit 10gb of ram you are beyond the worstation catagory. ;)

rdb123
12-12-2002, 12:34 PM

Not really.... the GSI Workstations used for the Final Fantasy Movie had 4GB of RAM each.

You could also do network render and combine your total computer power. =)

-Ron

MantisMag
12-12-2002, 06:10 PM

what would that make it then? an even-worsteration? hehe. sorry. :p that was bad. i just finished the majority of my finals today.

btw i checked out that moviecash thing. seems like you can use it whenever. as long as they're not sold out. :D