PDA

View Full Version : Air to electricity switch

sick puppy
12-11-2002, 01:20 PM
So im a bored college student and im trying to make an intellifeed for a cocker(Dont laugh yet). In essence me and the guy across the hall were contemplating taking an air signal and transferring it to an electronic signal. By taking air from the valve or the three way when the gun fires we would transfer that air to a switch in the revvy thus creating an electronic signal. Just wondering if any of you tech gurus out there know if a board even exists that can transfer a burst of air inot an electronic pulse or signal, could someone please let me know, graci-ciao

hitech
12-11-2002, 01:23 PM
They are big, but that is what they use(d) for hot tubs (spas).

synreal
12-11-2002, 01:37 PM
since you would be dealing with a pretty strong burst of air, you could probably get away with just tacking a fin onto the lever arm of a standard microswitch.

might be easier just to fit a switch into the gripframe though. i have a gut feeling that a purely mechanical switch would be more reliable for this application.

Thorpydo
12-11-2002, 06:42 PM
What about just putting a microswitch behind the trigger or sear? Would be simpler and get the job done.

misfit
12-11-2002, 08:29 PM
http://www.clippard.com/store/display_details.asp?sku=5100-3-NC
get a clippard catalogue, they havwe all kinds of fun stuff
http://www.clippard.com/images/products/draw/5100-3-NO.jpg

hagan
12-12-2002, 10:16 AM
thanks misfit thats perfect. does the nc mean normaly closed. i saw a NO and the NC some im geussing thats what it is.
cut out a carboard model of it and have a nice spot for it on a revy.

SlartyBartFast
12-12-2002, 11:35 AM
Why send the air to the revy?

Just mount any old pressure transducer on the gun and wire it to the revy.

Redkey
12-12-2002, 02:58 PM
pressure switch... not a pressure transducer.

SlartyBartFast
12-12-2002, 03:27 PM
Actually, I was thinking that you could use something like this:

http://www.endevco.com/data-sheets/85xx/8510C.pdf

Make a circuit that uses the output and switches a transistor. That way you could adjust the sensitivity.

Otherwise with a switch, you have to know what pressure you want to switch at. An important thing to remember is ensure that the switch or transducer used is rated for the maximum pressure.

On a side note: The transducers on the page I referenced are available in models that are rated upto 5000psi. Could build your own version of the Angel Air readout.

Redkey
12-12-2002, 03:44 PM
true.... I hadn't thought of that.

Nice one.

hagan
12-12-2002, 04:48 PM
yeah i geuss that would work but we were thinkiing cheap, undoable, easy as in not taping in to the body but thanks i think we got all of it should have it together before the new year(waiting on the mail service)

SlartyBartFast
12-12-2002, 05:56 PM
Thinking about it I had two thoughts:

1 - It wouldn't be necessary to drill and tap the body. Put a T-connection on the appropriate hose from the 3-way and connect that to the switch/transducer.

2 - Air activation seems like over-kill. Wouldn't it be much easier to fit a switch into the grip frame like the intellifeed?