PDA

View Full Version : my buddy got ripped on ebay...

EsPo
12-11-2002, 03:05 PM
hes new to this kinda thing, and he got a CD, no big deal, but he payed a hefty amount of cash on it. he sent the money, but never recieved the money, what does he do? does he call the police in his town or sumthin?

warpfeedmod
12-11-2002, 03:12 PM
check ebay..there is a link i beleive to "Safe Harbor" they handle that sort of thing

warpfeedmod
12-11-2002, 03:15 PM
here ya go:

Safe Harbor (http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/index.html)

krafty
12-11-2002, 03:18 PM
If it's under $25 Ebay won't do anything. (I know... still waiting for an $8 item almost 2 months after I won the auction). At least PayPal will try to get my money back from the guy.

Restola
12-11-2002, 03:30 PM
Two words:

Negative feedback.

Wont help your buddy now, but I for one do not bid on any item from someone with any negative feedback concerning quality of product or speed of shipment.

Timmee
12-11-2002, 03:46 PM
Ok, when did the auction end, when was payment sent, how was payment sent (PayPal, MO, other), and can you still communicate with the seller? If the payment was sent by PayPal, you know the seller recieved it. If it was sent as a MO, take the MO reciept (you still have it, right?) and find out if it was cashed. If so, you also can prove that the seller recieved it. With a personal check, you'd have to wait until you get the canceled check back. Once you have proof that the seller recieved the money, you can email them stating that you have proof of it, and that if they do not either send you your money, or the item in question, you will take steps to file federal mail fraud charges. Usually, I only inform them of that when it's been an unreasonable amount of time after the end of the auction. I ended up doing that for one auction, and I recieved the item almost a month and a half after the end date. Also, save ANY correspondence (email, regular mail, auction listing, etc) so that you can present it as evidence. When not dealing with an agency like eBay, saving correspondence becomes even more important, as without it, you have no proof of the details of the transaction.

rdb123
12-11-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Timmee
...take the MO reciept (you still have it, right?) and find out if it was cashed.....

Just wondering for future reference, but where would I take a MO receipt to verify?

Thanks

-Ron

TooDamnSweet
12-11-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by rdb123

Just wondering for future reference, but where would I take a MO receipt to verify?

Thanks

-Ron

You would take the receipt back to the same place you purchased it from. Make a copy of the receipt for yourself since most places will keep the original. They will put a tracer on the money order to determine whether or not it was cashed. If it was cashed, they will provide you with a copy of the cancelled money order so you can see the signature. If the money order wasn't cashed, and the appropriate amount of time has passed (usually 90 days) your money will be refunded to you.

**Money Orders are usually valid for 90 days, so you should wait the 90 days before putting a tracer on it, otherwise you will have to pay to have it traced again after the 90 grace period is up.

rdb123
12-11-2002, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the info. =)

-Ron

Trigger_Happy
12-11-2002, 04:47 PM
Wherever you bought it from....USPS, Western Union service center, etc. *EDIT* WHOA! You kids post fast!*

Another option is to file in small court. It should only cost $30, and if you have a decent case, you can make them pay for ALL THE TIME AND EFFORT! The seller wil have to buy a plane ticket to your home town to attend the trial (not cheap). If they don't show, you win by default!

THAT my friend is why I'm never scared of ebay! :D I like making punks who try to rip me PAY ;)