PDA

View Full Version : my next project

TippmannMan
12-11-2002, 10:44 PM
ok well i am really bored. not much i can really do about upgrading my marker or getting any gear so im thinking of making a head/goggle mounted scope. i think it would be pretty nifty for scenario/recreational games ;) the concept seems very simple but the only ones ive seen are incredibly bulky and/or expensive and are usually designed for helmet mounts. not to mention having other things i dont want like night/thermal vision. obviously i dont need one of exceptional quality since i will only be using it like a pair of binoculars (except head/goggle mounted). so does anybody either know where to get something like this for a decent price or know where i can get a head/goggle mount seperately and i could get the scope and weld it on? if youve done/tried this before please tell me your experiences. and i dont care how stupid you think this idea is im gonna do it :p

TheJester
12-12-2002, 10:08 AM
i think you're gonna be hard pressed to find a pair of thermal goggles any where near realitivly cheap, pluse it terms of a head mount, i think you're gonns have have to make your own for it to fit over you mask, another concern is actually seeing because you can only put it up against your goggles, not infront of your eyes (ever try using just a normal pair of binoculars w/ a mask on?) it can be done i'm sure, but it would be kinda tricky

TippmannMan
12-12-2002, 05:34 PM
not sure what you meant by thermal goggles. i think maybe you mightve been confused when i said i didnt need any thermal function. i have thermal lenses if thats what you mean. and yea i understand itll be a little weird. im not really designing this for military use ;) tho i have a nice scope that is designed to be worn over a curved surface so that isnt a problem. the only problem for me is finding the mount

Brak
12-12-2002, 05:38 PM
get some of those compact binoculars that look like 2 tubes with a hinge in the middle, and go to a hardware store, get some plastic folding hinges (i think for this project youll need a sturdy plastic goggle, not a foldable rubber one, it would collapse), either take apart the binoculars for a single scope or use both, and go to town...

TippmannMan
12-12-2002, 08:56 PM
haha thanks for the idea Brak :p that actually might work. ill try it if the following wont turn up any results

i have my extended eye relief monocular/scope but im still looking for a head mount. so far the best ive seen is a military style head mount that pretty much wraps around your chin/forehead/skull etc. the only problem is its designed for those $5000 goggles that are supposed to fit directly over your eyes. not to mention the mount itself is about $200. using my monocular/scope i can see well enough through my paintball lens but just for the coolness factor i would like something that can be dropped down into place :D so im trying to avoid just welding it onto a stick. come on somebody on AO has got to know something :rolleyes:

Brak
12-12-2002, 09:04 PM
i do! i do! If you want to drop it down, why dont you get a metal strip (or bundle up some pipe cleaners) and attatch them to the monocular (booyah, masking tape!), and put the metal strip onto your visor or whatever, and you will have the monocular easily manipulatable because you can just bend it up and fold it over when your not using it, and just bend it down when you want to use it. just make sure you dont tear off your mask in the process.

TippmannMan
12-12-2002, 09:19 PM
hehe sounds like whatever this is going to turn out to be its gonna be deliciously ghetto

Sparq
12-12-2002, 09:58 PM
Well...adding to the flexible mounting system idea - Maybe try some of that flexible metal material used on some floor/desk lamps? You know, looks like a metal spiral strip formed into a tube. Flexible, stiff enough to hold relatively still. I'm not sure if you can buy it separate, but maybe you can find a cheap lamp to gut...

TippmannMan
12-13-2002, 02:56 PM
thats a good idea actually though im not sure. playing with the stuff is usually what works as a good stress test. i think if i used the flexibe stuff it would start to wear or flop down after running around for a while. plus i think the monocular is a tad bit too heavy. ill let you all know how this goes im gonna go to a hardware store now