PDA

View Full Version : Back in sport after 5 years - Few Q's

UThomas
12-12-2002, 12:45 PM
So I was going through some old boxs and found my old micromag. Anyway, I had quit in college b/c I couldn't afford it and sold all my gear except the mag and a 20oz CO2 tank. Now that I have a good job I started looking up fields & reading up on the latest stuff. I've got a few (random) questions/comments.

1) Everything is like 30-50% cheaper now! Wow! I bought a case of paint for $50. Use to be $75 at the cheapest.

2) What is the advantage of an adjustable reg on a nitro tank? I'm thinking if I get back into it I'll get a 68ci 4500psi tank. All the 1st generation tanks were adjustable, but I never really changed mine after I set it.

3) Whats the deal with hydro dating on tanks? How much does it cost to get re-tested?

4) Is the fastest feeding combo a Halo B and warp feed? Why didn't they just make the warp feed part of a loader? Does the warp feed have any competitors?

5) When I stopped playing the RT had just come out. There was a lot of complaining about it shooting hot. What ever happened about that?

6) Can you still get new thermal lenses for Scott Extreme Stalker masks?

8) I went to the local shop and they didn't sell ANY mags. WTF? They said all people wanted were autocockers. I would have thought autocockers would have fallen out of favor with the electronics, not mags. I guess autocockers have more personality... but I was surprised.

9) What are good barrel brands now? I have an old Smart Parts All American and an original Autospirit.

Thanks!

Thomas

digitard
12-12-2002, 12:58 PM
2) Adjustable Regulator: The new RT valve (used on the Emag/XMag, RT, and includes the ReTro and Xvalve) is setup for a Reactive Trigger allowing more control over your shots and faster rate of fire ... using an Adjustable tank allows you to play with the trigger a little bit so you can basically tune it to the way you like. You can send AGD your Mag valve and replace it for an XValve shortly (which is the aluminum ReTro valve and Level 10 kit included) for like 230 bucks or something.

3) I think someone said its like under 30 bucks to Rehydro your tank .... no biggie, you would have to call around (try scuba shops) to see what they rehydro tanks for.

4) Yes, someone else will expand on this one im sure ... but the Halo is overkill with the Warp, but it never huts ..lol

5) The RT Valve (ReTro) shoots just fine, but you can ONLY USE COMPRESSED AIR ... you cant use CO2 on it, its not designed for it... you can pick up a cheap 68/3000 tank from the classifieds "AIR SYSTEMS" section most likely at a good deal.

6) With the rise in kids in the sport and new players they seem to want the flash over the quality ... plus mags got a bad rep for "short stroking", but if you ask any big player they love the mags .... with the new Level 10 kit short stroking is eliminated, so expect to see the XMag and mags in general make a huge comeback.

Sincerely,
Dave

Remington
12-12-2002, 02:51 PM
digitard pretty much covered it. For number 9 though, I prefer J&J Performance barrels over anything. Their Edge Kits are real popular. Theres also the Smart Parts Freak and All American barrels. Custom Products also has a barrel kits which is nice although I've never tried it. Good luck with getting back into the sport. You'll find there's a lot of new stuff out there.

joeyjoe367
12-12-2002, 02:52 PM
Hydro testing is basically making sure that your pressure vessel won't blowup on you. They submese it in water and fill above the standard pressure. If it bulges or something, then it fails the hydro test.

If you tank passes, it doesn't damage it in any way.

You have to get it done every 3 or 5 years, depending on the DOT exemption.

a lot of scuba places do it, and actually I have mine done at a fire-extinguisher recharging place.

As for the RT shooting hot, there's a new chrono procedure that takes care of it. Unlike other guns, the RT Shoots-up when rate of fire increases. There's a way you hold down the trigger, release, and fire again as quickly as possible to simulate rapid fire over the chrony.

Extreme stalker masks? I used to own some scott stuff, but I'd highly recommend moving on to one of the newer JT, V-Force, or Dye masks.

You can never invest too much into safety.

JEDI
12-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Let me take a pass at this.
2) many guns have differing inputs. Mags are high, some guns are lower. With an adjustable tank, you only need one tank for all your guns. The new Retro valve is more reactive with the higher the input, so you can tune it to your liking. Look into a retro valve if you stick with your mag.

3) Hydro testing your tank- Tanks get old, and they cant be used after so many years. If you have your tank tested, and it passes, they give it a new "expiration date"

4) The warp is a force fed loader, and so is the HaloB. The two is a little over-kill/ heavy. Thats my opinion, but some people do it. I prefer just a Halo, but I own a Warp, and they work very well.

5) The RTpro is the newer version of the RT that fixed the typical RT problems. When using the correct chrono procedure, you'll get very consistant results from A retro valve. (RTpro, Emag, X-mag valve)

6) I dont know about the Scott lenses, but the JT flex 7, and the DYE invisions are like the new standards. (among a few others)

8)(what happened to 7) Mags are coming back honestly. Shops have to cater to personal opinions and what sells, but AGD has come out with some REDICULOUSLY great new products. Look around for the Level 10 mod. It basically eliminated ball chopping which is what Mags were accused of being plagued with.

9) DYE makes great barrels. J&J, smart parts still does. Barrel kits are real popular. They allow you to change the bore size of your barrel, according to the paint you use. Some use inserts, some change the back end of the barrel. Look at the Powerlyte Scepter kit, or the Freak kit. Theres a bunch, and every one has there own opinion.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me. Search this site for basically any question you have. 5 years is a long time in the paintball world. I'm sure you'll have a billion questions. Good luck man, and glad you're back!

UThomas
12-12-2002, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm pumped about going to play this weekend. Hope it doesn't rain.

"2) many guns have differing inputs. Mags are high, some guns are lower. With an adjustable tank, you only need one tank for all your guns. The new Retro valve is more reactive with the higher the input, so you can tune it to your liking. Look into a retro valve if you stick with your mag."

I use to double regulate all my markers (N2 reg + autococker/unireg, typhoon/stabalizer,automag/air valve), so what pressure was coming out of the N2 tank wasn't that important (as long as it was manageable and not 3000 psi :) Do people still double regulate their guns or are N2 tanks better? Do N2 tanks come with on/offs now or do you have to still use a proconnect or bleed valve?

Do people use expansion chambers much? I've got an Air America Thumper on my micromag that was like $150! Thats an expensive foregrip.

The Level 10 and X-Valve technology is very interesting. I never really chopped much with any of my mags though... expect the standard feed before the Viewloader 2000's came out. I thought those were the best things since sliced bread.

JEDI
12-12-2002, 04:21 PM
Most adjustable N2 tanks have an on/off. Check out AGDs flatline for an example. Some N2 tanks are pre-set screw in tanks, and you buy an on/off that unscrews, like a hose knob. Mags dont need and secondary regs. If you have a preset screw in tank, get one preset to at least 800psi. An adjustable tank will allow you to change your output from the tank, but you wont need any other reg between the tank and the gun. Mags have a built in reg already.

Some other guns, like cockers and such have secondary inline regulators, because there's no other reg. on the gun. Expansion chambers aren't need for N2 set ups. They're used to allow CO2 to expand from a liquid to a gas. Thats not a problem with N2. You can still use a gas through grip, but its not affecting the N2 at all.

Double regulating a Mag will "starve" the gun for air, and it is not neccesary. Heres the Flatline N2 tank. The on/off is the little black knob on the bottom. The two guages are the amount of air in the tank, and the output pressure going into the gun

http://www.airgun.com/Images/flatline.jpg

chuey
12-12-2002, 10:52 PM
First things first. To get you up and running I think you should get a AGD Mag Parts Kit & some KC or whatever you prefer and dry fire your gun a bit if you havn't already!!! Next if you've never played with a hopped up mag lately, I think you're gonna really enjoy it. Remember don't touch an Angel or an AutoCocker, it will distort your initial and wise choice to get a mag. Man I love cockers, I'm just not into paying a G for a marker. Thats like car insurance for a year. Anyhow judging from how my mag repsonds with an HPA tank (aka nitro, etc..etc..) and a level X bolt replacement kit to replace your old one. You'll like it. The bolt kit (foamie bolt, spring, oring and oring holder, shims) is an anti chop bolt, and when you got it set up in your gun works like a dream. The level X kit is a great investment at $90 bucks shipped. The RT upgrade, I think could wait especially since you gotta turn in your old valve to get it for $200 bucks. BTW the level X for me was really hard for the first three weeks because I needed a new Reg Assembly but didnt know it at the time and AGD rep helped me out. Air was leaking out the back of the valve no matter how many different O-Ring carriers combinations and shims and springs I tried. But now that air doesn't leak and balls don't break almost I'm happy. I've broke three balls in a case of 2,000 in one day. But it was in very cold weather and raining. The dry weekend after but still cold this got down to 1 ball through a case. The next thing would be that nitro tank. I was being cheap and got a steel one brand new for $90 shipped on ebay. It was a bulldog II with a preset (850psi) regulator, websites suggested to not get the first prouction fo this tank. It was cheap but its heavy. It works great though. For twice the money you get a fiber wrapped alum. tank. Even the big ones only weigh maybe 2 and some odd pounds. Lighter than my steel one thats only a 45ci 'Mags shoot pretty fast already and the ROF is enough to compete with the electric guns. Yet still have the solid design of the mag which seals the internals and protects them. Not for nothing but this is big since alot of the new guns these days have mad parts that get dirty and mishandled. Mags are battle ready 24-7, cocked locked and ready to rock. I ripped out the safety on my benchmark trigger and it feels different as well all i can say is I'm happy with it. I use the plastic knob by the feed as a safety and will clear the barrel before walking back to home base. Smart Parts are what alot of people have you can get one for 30 bucks on ebay the AA barrel is good I own two now. I really only play with one barrel though an ACI Zero Gravity one piece I love it. Their hard to get on ebay, but Lapco Bigshots are nice I got one of those two. You'll want a 12V hopper 50 bucks, or 40 if you can find one again on ebay. You get a pretty good ROF and the electric hoppers are nice. NOW: If you wanna go buck wild and just spray the hell out of everything in sight a Warp Feed hooked up to your hopper is pretty insane. The guys on my field who have the RT and the Warp Feed mag hop ups go buck, they shoot a lot of paintballs them dudes. About three weeks ago I saw one guy carry around his own box of balls in one hand while running from one bunker to the next all the way upfield and fire enough paintballs balls to suppress multiple opponents and not be shot. If he was within 60 ft in front of an opponent's hideout with a 3X3 inch whole to put a barrel through (and diligent refs watching) chances were the mag guy would get him he shot maybe 15 bad guys in that game. Mind you he was shooting 7 shots a second consistently and for long spells at a time one handed while holding a a 1/2 full case of paintballs in the other and a giant remote tank on his back. Lastly beware them Autocockers...besides the fact that cockers were designed by like people they are the Syrens on the field...trying to lure brave Odysseus away from his trusty mag. Cockers sing to you you know, for besides the fact they work great when they are working while in battle...get close up to one of them and you will see that sings..."Burp...Burp...Burp...Burp...floooloop" its the niftiest sound you can buy get for 600 bucks. I love mags better nonetheless.

UThomas
12-13-2002, 12:30 PM
Good feedback. I actually have owned a couple auto/minicockers back when I played more (which is why I got the micromag body; to share barrels). They sucked on CO2 though (had to run them on a remote expansion chamber & a unireg), and no fields at the time filled my N2 tank. They also didn't come standard with a lot of things they do now. I would have thought they would become obsolete with electros comming. At least their front pneumatic block.

Man, the prospect of cheaper paint and no Co2 alone is great.

digitard
12-13-2002, 12:45 PM
Thomas,
Yeah CO2 is the devil ..lol.. everyone fills at least 3000 tanks now (some do 4500) so definitally go Compressed Air ... here's the updates I'd recommend (just my opinion).

1) Compressed Air tank
2) Intelliframe (get a 12v Revolution hopper w/ xboard too)
3) Xvalve

Sincerely,
Dave

xadamx
12-13-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by digitard
expect to see the XMag and mags in general make a huge comeback.

at the last game i played at my local field out of 50 or 60 people there were around 10 mags, i was really supprised!! i agree with ya on that one