PDA

View Full Version : Big dsl problems

EsPo
12-14-2002, 04:37 PM
ok.. this is startin to get me really mad. it took me like a half an hour just to get here and im sure it will take like another to post. heres whats goin on.

it feels like im on 28.8....

everytime i get a phonecall, i loose the connection, i can tell b/c the lights on the modem go off, the lights will go back on, then when the phone gets hung up, i loose the connection again.

on kazaa, the downloads are going less than 1 kbps...

zen_dawg
12-14-2002, 04:42 PM
all the phones in the your house are filtered.

logamus
12-14-2002, 04:43 PM
i can only imagine your personal hell atm. sometimes i connect but i lose my ip addy so i run winipcfg and it doesnt always work. its not as bad as your situation, but having to restart 4-5 times to get an ip so you can surf is frustrating.

SpongeBobSquarePants
12-14-2002, 06:38 PM
Besides winipcfg, try turnin off kazaa. Also close any backround programs running that you dont need such as real player, msn messanger, anything like that. Call your dsl provider they should be able to provide help.

pbzmag
12-14-2002, 06:49 PM
From what you told us, you lose the connection every time you get a phone call. Sounds like a bad filter. Try a known good filter and see if that fixes the problem.

pbzmag

Kevmag
12-14-2002, 07:00 PM
The DSL services that allow you to "self-install" require filters on all the phones in your house. These filters are just little dongles that plug in to the wall jack and you plug your phone into the dongle.

EsPo
12-14-2002, 10:32 PM
no dice with the dsl dude, he was very unclear, he thought it was a bad filter, but didnt tell me how to tell which filter it was (i have them on all phones). plus, i dont have any extra filters laying around so im double screwed.

pbzmag
12-14-2002, 11:39 PM
When calling the support line, those guys don't have a clue what's going on. They are just working off of a script that was given to them. I'm a computer tech and I played dumb when I couldn't get a DSL signal. They actually had me replace a file that only's programmed for mouses with the wheel. As for your problem, o those dongles splits the line into 2, one for the dsl and one for the phone? If it does, unplug one phone, leaving it unhooked, and use it's filter on the DSL line. Call your house using a cell, if you have one, or have a buddy call you. If the problem is gone, it's a bad filter. If not, repeat procedure with another filter. When you find the bad filter replace it. You don't have to buy one from your provider, you can get one online or at a computer store. PM me if you still have problems.

pbmzag

tranman
12-15-2002, 07:38 PM
I had that problem too, if you have cordless phones, you probably need to put 2 filters for each of those phones....what you can try is unplugging EVERY phone in your house, all except for your phone jack that is used for DSL...that should fix connection problem...if that works then you'll need more filters which you can probably get for free...i know i did. They only gave me 2 originally and i needed about 6 or 7 in total for all my cordless phones, it was all free.

Jonno06
12-15-2002, 09:59 PM
i have dsl too,and i have never had that problem...

hm..is it set up right?

pbzmag
12-16-2002, 03:17 AM
When I got my DSL, I had the full install. They put a POTS filter outside my house. Personally I prefer that over the dongles.

Nobody077
12-16-2002, 11:49 PM
Check out www.dslreports.com got to the tools selection and run a speed test then a tweak test. This will give you an idea of your download and upload speeds and ways to improve them. I just got 3987/125 with my cable line and 3 computers sharing the connection on my home network.