PDA

View Full Version : do you have the power

TippmannMan
12-14-2002, 10:06 PM
ive always heard that stainless steel cannot be anodized but i think it can be colored in some way cant it? i forgot what it was called but it seems to exist. well the reason im asking is if anyone here has the capability (equipment/knowledge/skill) to work with stainless steel. e-mag parts to be exact. if i found somebody around the area who could do it is it much more $ than hard coat anodizing aluminum? and is it hard/possible to go from black to chrome (any kind of silver)?

Xerces
12-14-2002, 10:11 PM
i think powdercoating works

TippmannMan
12-14-2002, 10:19 PM
is powdercoating really a spray and wait process? ive seen powdercoat guns but do you still need to bake it dry?

oh and also i dont think thats what they used. ill try to bring up the link but it was talking about steel and titanium coloring methods

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
12-14-2002, 10:22 PM
Spray and bake at 450 for 40 minutes

confedman75
12-14-2002, 10:23 PM
i thought powder coat was a form of electro coat?

EsPo
12-14-2002, 10:27 PM
thats very odd, i was thinking about getting my mag pcoated, but i just cant picture her in an over ;)

TippmannMan
12-14-2002, 10:35 PM
now... is this baking bakable in a conventional oven? or do i need something like a kiln.

Timmee
12-15-2002, 11:00 AM
Well, IIRC, the way powdercoat is applied is to electrically charge the item being powdercoated. That way the powdercoat will stick.

Also, while I believe you COULD use an oven like the one in your kitchen, you wouldn't want to use the oven for both powdercoating and cooking.

Creative Mayhem
12-15-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by TippmannMan
ive always heard that stainless steel cannot be anodized but i think it can be colored in some way cant it? i forgot what it was called but it seems to exist. well the reason im asking is if anyone here has the capability (equipment/knowledge/skill) to work with stainless steel. e-mag parts to be exact. if i found somebody around the area who could do it is it much more $ than hard coat anodizing aluminum? and is it hard/possible to go from black to chrome (any kind of silver)?

I don't know about annodizing ss but if you want to go from "black to chrome" as you put it, take your body to a local custom bike shop or metal plater and have it chromed. It costs very little, and the stripping of the balck powdercoat should be included. Hope it helps...

C Mayhem

Xerces
12-15-2002, 11:10 AM
i did that to a body i just sold. has it polished, and then just had it fade to black. wasn't all that gradual, but it looked nice.