PDA

View Full Version : New Mask?

Vendetta
12-16-2002, 02:25 PM
I need advice on a new mask. I think my Scott’s should be retired. I’ve had them since the administration of George I:) I don’t want anything to bulky, but I’d like the get more protection for my forehead. I sick of coming to work on Monday with a new welt on my forehead:mad:

Thanks

Remington
12-16-2002, 02:36 PM
I really like my JT nForcer. It's got thermal lenses and has never fogged on me, plus it has really nice padding around the nose and eye areas. Other than that, I'd look into the VForce Morph series and maybe a Dye Invision(both of which I've never tried but they look like quality masks).

Vendetta
12-16-2002, 02:39 PM
Is the VForce the one that looks like bug eyes? I don't care for that look. I'll look at the JT's.

LittMag
12-16-2002, 02:46 PM
I really like my JT nForcers too, they have the JT spectra lenses and protect my forehead really well, here's a link to them

http://www.countypaintball.com/product_description.asp?item=1913

they are not the VForce

Kai
12-16-2002, 03:00 PM
The Dye Invision is a fine mask. It has excellent ventilation (which also provides for ease of communication), and it is a great looking piece of equipment.

...be aware that it will set you back a pretty penny though.

magman007
12-16-2002, 03:41 PM
the dye invisions are nice, but very minimalistic in protection, id say go v force, or a jt flex 7

rikkter
12-16-2002, 03:56 PM
i have tried multiple masks.
i OWN a flex7, and a protues. i use the protues more because it feels more compact and its tighter on my face but LOT more comfortable then the flex7 in my opinion.
the flex7 kinda hurts my ears, but the soft panels would solve that, but i'm afraid of getting shot in the flexy part.
i've also tried a invision. it just didn't really excite me the way i thought it would. my teammate can't use it because his chin sticks out. and ALL Of the invisions i've seen at fields fog easily so..

Bront
12-16-2002, 04:00 PM
I realy like the V-force series. Most comfortable mask I've tried on, doesn't fog, easy to clean, easy to change the lense, easy to breath and comunincate, and plenty of protection. Plus, it's the most opticaly perfect lense available, you can't tell that it's on (More perfect than the human eye can tell). Someone wrote an article on it.

toymyster
12-16-2002, 07:06 PM
I do recommend Dye personaly!! However, my second choice would be the Flex7 series!!

halB
12-16-2002, 07:18 PM
if you want comfort over protection go for the raven nuvis, especially the new style. they are soooooooooooooooooooooo comfortable its not funny, especially compared to the jts. also because of the way it sits on your face you can breathe extremely easily. i say over protection because it doesnt have much for the neck or back of the head, but then again neither does the proteus. also, the lens tints automatically when the sun comes out, and if it gets dark the lens lightens up. definetly get it. NOW

oh yes, and the lense has what may be the widest viewing angle possible. you can look left and right and never see the edge of the mask. extremely good view, and when you wear it you almost forget about it being on your face. i love mine and hate the fact i have to use another mask for reffing

pbguy888
12-16-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by halB
if you want comfort over protection go for the raven nuvis, especially the new style. they are soooooooooooooooooooooo comfortable its not funny, especially compared to the jts. also because of the way it sits on your face you can breathe extremely easily. i say over protection because it doesnt have much for the neck or back of the head, but then again neither does the proteus. also, the lens tints automatically when the sun comes out, and if it gets dark the lens lightens up. definetly get it. NOW

oh yes, and the lense has what may be the widest viewing angle possible. you can look left and right and never see the edge of the mask. extremely good view, and when you wear it you almost forget about it being on your face. i love mine and hate the fact i have to use another mask for reffing

Im allso looking for a new mask... The way you speak of the raven exites me :D Can you give us some link's or it? thanks :)

Major Ho
12-16-2002, 09:08 PM
The Raven line of products seems to be up and coming. Those Raven Nuvis(I think thats what they are called) seem to be real nice. Just another one to consider
http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/paintball-goggles-and-safety-gear-goggles-raven-goggles.html

halB
12-16-2002, 09:17 PM
ravens are awesome, and teh company kicks butt. they also listen to all the complaints their customers give them, and every new version is based on what the customers tell them to improve. the first generation stank, they hurt, there wasnt enough foam, and they fogged. and so they released the version 2, which i have, and there were still some problems. my version fogs and the ear hurts a wee bit, but not as bad as version 1, and so the new version has foam for the ear, triple foam for the face (which makes it uber comfy) and thermal lenses so it cant fog. btw, i was listing only the bad properties here, so dont think im insulting the masks here. there are still really good properties even to the version one. but still, the new versions are just superb.

the clip on the back of the strap comes in handy, makes it easy to put on/take off, and the silicon on the head strap makes it so it doesnt bounce. get, now. sooo comfortable, thats their best asset on top of everything, the comfort!!

RRfireblade
12-16-2002, 11:19 PM
ravens are awesome, and teh company kicks butt. they also listen to all the complaints their customers give them, and every new version is based on what the customers tell them to improve.

I didn't think anyone thought so highly of KINGMAN .(spyder) LOL!

Jay.

PsychoBaller
12-16-2002, 11:31 PM
the new Dye Invisions are two small, and I know they are trying to come out with a new lense, since people have complained about the present fogging problems above anything.

JT has always proven tride and tru, I've been using them for last 5-6yrs.

But the retension system of the lense for the new V-Force Morphs blow anything out of the water, regardless of a slightly more pronounced Nose section of the mask.
Takes like 20-30 seconds to change lenses, Extreme comfort, better view than JT Lenses.

Cheaper as well. Go V-Force Morph

halB
12-16-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by RRfireblade

I didn't think anyone thought so highly of KINGMAN .(spyder) LOL!

Jay.

kingman jsut bought them for money purposes, they havent effected the quality whatsoever. its like when BE brought VL, but without the whole screwing the whole product line up.

and psycho, the v force is the mask i wear when i ref, and its nice, ill give it that, but if u play for long periods of time it starts to get uncomfortable. also, its just not as comfy as the raven

PsychoBaller
12-16-2002, 11:46 PM
I haven't wore my Morph for longer than one playing day..... only have owned for month or so..... have to sleep, eat, shower, etc with it on to see where the uncomfy thing is coming from that u be talking about.

Creative Mayhem
12-17-2002, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Vendetta
I don’t want anything to bulky, but I’d like the get more protection for my forehead. I sick of coming to work on Monday with a new welt on my forehead:mad:

Thanks

*TIP* If you don't like welts on the forehead, KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN!!!:D

JT masks, are IMO, the best out there. I would get another in a heartbeat. They are my only coice in masks.

C Mayhem

Vendetta
12-17-2002, 09:56 AM
I try to keep my head down, but its hard to shoot people you can't see;) Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check them out.

mykroft
12-17-2002, 10:25 AM
The best options are the Nuvis, Nvision and V-Force. JT's have a bad habit of falling apart, I've watched a JT mask come apart under fire, that is the ear & mouth protection, I also had my new Flex 7 lose earpieces while on the field. There's a reason you will NEVER see me wearing or using anything that says JT.

If you're a big guy, go for the V-Force, I can't wear the smaller masks, due to my size.

dropkick1
12-17-2002, 11:18 AM
i think JT's are the best out, either flex 7's or proteus. i have the proteus and love them, very compact but offers a lot of protection. v-forces are nice too, but they don't have a fan available and i need one for my glasses, and Dye invisions suck in my experience with them. i had them and used them one day and they pinched my nose, and fogged, can't stand them.

ken

PurePower
12-17-2002, 02:44 PM
Been using my JT Spectras' since they first introduced the line like 5 or 6 years ago. Just ordered my first replacement lenses a day ago. Great goggles with a wide field of view and they are cheap.

Creative Mayhem
12-17-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by PurePower
Been using my JT Spectras' since they first introduced the line like 5 or 6 years ago. Just ordered my first replacement lenses a day ago. Great goggles with a wide field of view and they are cheap.

I think its been more than 5-6 yrs since they intro'd the spectra...I've had mine since '95/'96.

this pic taken in '96

Ryknow
12-17-2002, 03:44 PM
get a JT Flex-7...they are nice, comfy and have good protection...actually I'll selll u mine if u want it, it's blue and has a prism lens in it, and a visor, lemme know...
~Tyler

digitard
12-17-2002, 03:57 PM
I still use my JT Spectra's w/ thermal .... hard body, works just fine for me.

I do like the nForcers though

Sincerely,
Dave

personman
12-17-2002, 04:15 PM
You really cant beat this shiznat..
http://www.paintball-online.com/product_information.asp?number=GGJFIS&variation=RD&aitem=2&mitem=&back=yes&dept=50
Thats where I got my mask.. 20 bux for a flex 7... :)

pbguy888
12-17-2002, 04:26 PM
yeah but not thermal...

personman
12-17-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by pbguy888
yeah but not thermal...
MMM now how hard can it be to add these to your order? :rolleyes:
http://www.paintball-online.com/product_information.asp?number=GGJLSS&variation=CS&aitem=2&mitem=&back=yes&dept=51

Plus I havent had my mask fog up on me yet, I'm still waiting for that to happen..

pito189
12-17-2002, 08:48 PM
The people who have problem with their invision fogging are not using a thermal lense. I have a thermal lense, and mine has yet to come anywhere close to fogging.

Vendetta
12-18-2002, 10:13 AM
That's a great price Personman. Thanks but no thanks Ryknow. Used masks are kind of gross:p

MrMag
12-18-2002, 10:27 AM
get a pro flex from www.paintballgateway.com

great mask

Blazestorm
12-18-2002, 11:06 AM
I'm getting a proteus, they are comfortable, low profile, scare the newbies (You look like a starwars guy), The ears are cool, did I say it was comfortable... they have like 3 layers of soft soft foam that just fits to your face, I haven't tried a morph or shield but the armor has hard foam so does the invision.

Proflex is also a good choice

http://www.firstcallpaintball.com/detail.asp?product_id=651

$45.99

http://www.firstcallpaintball.com/detail.asp?product_id=339

$59.99

:D

CpSuPeRkId
12-18-2002, 03:13 PM
i have been looking into buyin a new mask for awhile now and i just made my decision last night and placed the order: a black/yellow jt pro flex

heres my opinion on all the masks out there right now(or at least the 3 most popular high end ones)

the vforce morph is one insanely awesome mask. i cannot say enough about it. its super comfy, about the same as a jt flex 7 or pro flex mask. the lenses are soo clear and the anti foggness is cool too. it just wont fog and its not even double layered. its just "thermo-cured". the lenses come out in seconds which is awesome. i think these are the best masks out there except for the reason i didnt get one. I CANT GET USED TO IT!!! the big bug eyes and it tends to stick out too far forward. i just couldnt get used to it.

the jt pro flex is my favorite(same as flex 7 but soft ears for comfort). its got the jt comfort behind it all the way. i love how confy it feels, especially with the new soft ears. the thermal 2 layer design is very reliable and proven against fogging. the lenses are as clear as you need them to be and when unscratched and clean they are unnoticeable as well. but i love the size and shape of them. thats why i got it. ive been used to a jt mask for years now and i dont think i can go back. the crappy flex 7ize mask as the only ones you should worry about falling apart. the stupid ultra flimsy silocon jaw stretched right over that metal tab and came apart on me.

the dye Nvision has got to be the worse mask out there right now(for the money). its soo uncomfortable. its like hard foam you find on 15 dollar masks. they claim triple layer blah blah, the point is its still hard and crappy. people complain about the fogging but i dont know this for a fact. they are soo tiny also, if u have even a medium head or a big jaw you will be exposed quite abit. the only things these masks have to offer is good peripheral(sp?) vision and looks. not worth it if u ask me.

conclusion: jt flex 7 or pro flex, a vforce morph, or that raven mask from what i hear.(i dont have personal experience with the raven mask)

xmetal2001
12-18-2002, 03:18 PM

its like when BE brought VL, but without the whole screwing the whole product line up.

U seem to be forgetting about the revy...:eek:

-=Squid=-
12-18-2002, 03:18 PM

kingman jsut bought them for money purposes, they havent effected the quality whatsoever. its like when BE brought VL, but without the whole screwing the whole product line up.

and psycho, the v force is the mask i wear when i ref, and its nice, ill give it that, but if u play for long periods of time it starts to get uncomfortable. also, its just not as comfy as the raven

LOL. they screwed VL. The shells might as well be made out of poopcorn, they break SO easily now. Also with JT, the NEW masks they are putting out kinda suck too. BE sucks. But kingmon isnt a bad company, not that I use king or ravens products, but they are good.

Blazestorm
12-18-2002, 06:24 PM
I talked to a represenative of B.E. and he told me they moved their production factory and the first batch of black shells were extremely brittle, they did not know this at the time and couldn't stop the company's from selling them, and instead of recalling them (Since it was not a safety hazard) they simply offered new shells. I would suggest getting a clear/smoke/red/blue/green colored revy simply because they don't break :)

PsychoBaller
12-18-2002, 06:36 PM
I dunno what people are talking about when they say they can't get used to how the VForce Morph is further extened around the nose area.... if u actually grab a ruler and compare a JT Flex 7 and a VForce Morph, from lens to the nose is only about less than one inch farther away.

Takes a bit of time... but u actually have to play it in order to get used to it.... its not that much of a biggie..

Pvt.Opium
12-23-2002, 02:24 AM
Id Suggest a JT Proteus. It fits ver snug against you face. Great lens. Also good forhead protection.

Blazestorm
12-23-2002, 02:39 AM
He already bought a proflex :D

Vendetta
12-23-2002, 09:53 AM
I haven't bought a mask yet, but I am looking at the Proteus. The price is down to about $65. Will it protect my chin though? I tried a Dye and it left my chin exposed, is the Proteus similar?

Eagle
12-23-2002, 01:31 PM
I love my Ravens, not a lot of forehead protection, but great visibility, very comfortable, never fog, photochromatic.

SGTKennedy
12-23-2002, 02:09 PM
its not that the mask doesnt have forhead protection, its that your forehead has grown. :)