PDA

View Full Version : best high end pump: illusion vs. phantom, there can only be one winner

halB
12-16-2002, 03:43 PM
well no more rainmaker for me, but i still wanna marker, and since i have to pay for my own paint now, well i want a pump. and not just any pump, i want a good one. i started paintball out with a pump, but it left something to umm... be desired, like not breaking. anyways ive been looking into the phantom and illusion, anyways here are things that are really important to me
versatility and interchangibility: i wanna be able to switch my gun in and out for the situation
lightness: a few ounces wont matter but several pounds will
price: i know im gonna have to spend a bit on it, but i wanna know im getting my money's worth.
and the most important
feel and pumping action: it has to be smoooooooth. i dont care whether its long, short, heavy, or light, the pump needs to be consistent and smoooooooooth like velvet.

now im liking the illusion because the feed can be changed in and out so i can switch from stock class to pump class. im probably gonna be using stock, cause thats what im most familiar with, but i wanna know i can change it just in case. im also liking the illusion because it has cocker threads, and that means i can get a rainmaker barrel offa ebay and slap it on there, because that barrel works spectacularly with my field paint.

im not liking the illusion because the price seems a bit high, the pump handle doesnt look comfy, and it has the d/f and such. im gonna be using a 12 g guaranteed, no change in that

im liking the phantom because it appears to be lighter and also the phantom name, its more established and i know i can put a 12g on easily.

im not liking it because im worried i wont be able to change it from stock class to vert feed or whatever, anything thatll take a hopper. i think ill be doing stock class feed but im just not sure. i also dont like the fact that the 45 grip costs a lot more than the m16 grip and i dont see why really.

overall, itll come down to the pumping action, but can anyone share with me their experiences with the pumps?

CRog075
12-16-2002, 04:01 PM
Who makes illusion? pics? never heard of it...

HoppysMag
12-16-2002, 04:01 PM
i have a Phantom, it has a wicked smooth pump, and i love it. i think the reason 45's cost more is the fat they are metal and M16 is plastic but its only 25$ more and i dont qualify 25$ as "A Lot". i wont say anybad about the Illusion cause iv never used one. but i really like my phantom

http://www.phantomonline.com

go to the Phantom Connection
http://pub15.ezboard.com/bphantomphorum75007

EDIT: Action Markers makes the illusion more info later

http://store6.yimg.com/I/actionvillage_1720_406529594

Jeb_Hoge
12-16-2002, 04:06 PM
:confused: The Phantom can be changed from stock-class feed to gravity feed. It's a lot like the Mag in that respect...there's stock-class bodies, centerfeed bodies, and right and left feed bodies. Swapping bodies takes probably about 5 minutes and doesn't require any tools.

I don't know a whole lot about the Illusion, other than the Angel-thread feed necks and the Cocker-threaded barrels, and that it's supposed to be a darn nice pump. I own a Phantom with the stock-class breech, .45 grip, vertical ASA and a Palmer Stabilizer side-mounted to the valve body. Oh, and also with an adjustable matching T-stock. The build quality on it is exceptional, the accuracy is excellent, the stock barrels are as good as any aftermarket tube you can get, and it's a great value. Check out www.phantomonline.com to see what you can get, and look for the Phantom Owners' Group, too.

One odd thing about the Illusion that I remember hearing was that the trigger was weird...like a combination slider-pivot action, and it's a double trigger on a pump, which isn't terribly useful.

HoppysMag
12-16-2002, 04:13 PM
well all the phantoms scored higher than every other pum cpet tieing w/ the Sterling STP.

you might want to check out Sterlings, Snipers, And Carters too...

but the best suggestion for all paintball guns is try them out and then make a decision.

magman007
12-16-2002, 04:21 PM
I highly reccomend the phantom. THey are highly customizeable ,and you can get them to meet your own taste. there a small company, one man run, and their customer service is amazing. The stock barrels are great, there all aluminum, slim, small compact, oh they have a nice smoote pumpaction as well.

the bodies are easy to change, and you can run a bunch of different configuartions.

YToou can also get about 30 good shots off per 12 grahm

hope that helps you decide, go for the phantom

Brak
12-16-2002, 04:25 PM
get a sterling if you can find them they blow both outta the water

willk
12-16-2002, 04:31 PM
Get a Carter if you want a really nice custom gun. Other then that, the phantoms are nice and light.

hitech
12-16-2002, 04:37 PM
You phantom guys, cann you attach a standard drop forward to the 45 grip?

TippmannMan
12-16-2002, 04:49 PM
hitech
Hitech Wang

you have a leet number of posts :p

dmonahan
12-16-2002, 04:50 PM
If you want the flat out best pump you have to look at a CCM.

http://www.chipleymachine.com

At this time they are working on a stock kit. But if you want a pump that is light and with a butter smoot action, auto trigger and looks awsome you can not beat this gun. I have a Phantom also and the only time i use it now is it I have to play stock. But you can beet as soon as a stock kit is avlb it will get stuck in the closet.

mykroft
12-16-2002, 05:00 PM
The CCI Phantom does take a bottomline on the 45 frame.

My recommendation is if you have an investment in Cocker Barrels, go with the AM Illusion. Their markers are some of the best built and annodized markers I've ever seen.

The Phantom is a legend for a reason.

hitech
12-16-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by TippmannMan
hitech
Hitech Wang

you have a leet number of posts :p

Okay, you got me, I'm lost. What do I have exactly? Really, I don't get it? :confused:

TippmannMan
12-16-2002, 05:13 PM
im usually opposed to using terms like leet, stfu, noob etc but if youve been playing computer games recently alot of people recognize 1337 as leet (l33t).

HoppysMag
12-16-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by hitech

Okay, you got me, I'm lost. What do I have exactly? Really, I don't get it? :confused:

Leet is a web slang thing a language in its own and 1337 is the name of the language if im not mistaken, which i probibly am.

last time i check CCM didnt make a pump and well i check just now. any pics? out of production? custom job?:confused:

i believe carters are way to pricey, but what ever floats ur boat... iv heard both good and bad on the Sterlings

EDIT: This it? its all i could find, i did find stuff on a CCM pump kit but not much

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/tournament/panam/2002/seattle/title_seattle02.jpg

mykroft
12-16-2002, 05:23 PM
Elite is the actual term, often spelled 31337 or l33t

l33t-sp34k is the derogatory term for the practice, common amongst 15 year olds trying to be cool.

TippmannMan
12-16-2002, 05:26 PM
edit: ack nevermind just forget i said anything

dmonahan
12-16-2002, 05:43 PM
That warpig picture is the pump. You can order it in a pump or semi.

Their site is not up and running all the way. I don't know where you live put I'll be at Tombstone in SoCal on Dec 28. If your in the area you welcome to come by and try it out.

HoppysMag
12-16-2002, 07:03 PM
so basicly its a cocker with a pump kit?

SyntaxError
12-16-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by mykroft
Elite is the actual term, often spelled 31337 or l33t

l33t-sp34k is the derogatory term for the practice, common amongst 15 year olds trying to be cool.

K, I definately dont get "l33t-sp34k". Whats the point?:confused:

And what does "1337" have to do with "elite"?

Obviously I don't play many video games like you guys said:p

toymyster
12-16-2002, 07:08 PM
If you have the means, I highly recommend picking up a Carter Buzzard!! Otherwise, absolutely go with a Phantom!!! Those are, after all, the two top pumps on the market!!!

manike
12-16-2002, 08:40 PM
I have both a Phantom and an Illusion.

They are both great guns and can be used as SC or DF.

One thing to consider is that the Illusion does not have an auto trigger but the Phantom does.

The best thing about the Illusion is that it takes cocker barrels. It's also easy to strip the bolt and squeegie it if required.

I would also recomend looking at a Sterling STP, fantastic pump guns, one of the nicest and smoothest.

manike

obsolete898
12-16-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by HoppysMag

That's kinda funny.
It's what a cocker started out as, a sniper.

I'm pretty sure you know the cocker is an auto-cocking pump. It just sounded funny to me (cocker with a pump kit).

Jeb_Hoge
12-16-2002, 09:39 PM
Remember, he's looking for a convertable gun, and I presume he doesn't want to break the bank. Carters run $500+, CCMs are about the same (and aren't readily SC-convertable, and DEFINITELY aren't good on 12-grams), a convertable feed Palmer pump will run at least $500, Sterlings are relatively rare and other than the one tradeshow pic, I haven't seen anything about the SC body (especially pricing). You can get a full-kit Phantom with vertical-feed and stock-class bodies, 45 frame, and adjustable t-stock for $350 or less.

logamus
12-16-2002, 09:45 PM
you cant go wrong with the old bushmaster.

HoppysMag
12-16-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by obsolete898

That's kinda funny.
It's what a cocker started out as, a sniper.

I'm pretty sure you know the cocker is an auto-cocking pump. It just sounded funny to me (cocker with a pump kit).

yes i am familiar to the concepts of an autococker.:p

Fred
12-16-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by HoppysMag

LOL OMG! that is the most hillarious thing I have ever read...

don't you know that the cocker is just what its name describes? a gun that automatically cocks? they started out as pumps, Bud just slapped on some pneus to make it semi...
(sorry... still snickering and what appears to be one of the funniest piece of misinformation out there...)

EDIT: And whoah, somebody needs to finish reading threads before he starts laughing... :rolleyes:

Oh, and my vote is for Phantoms, best quality, best customer service, and best bang for your buck.

If you have lots of cocker barrels already, the Illusion is nice as well, but its not a Phantom... (and I like Illusions a lot). The CCI barrel doesn't need replacing, unless you insist on an aftermarket barrel to look cooler...

---Fred

HoppysMag
12-17-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Fred

LOL OMG! that is the most hillarious thing I have ever read...

don't you know that the cocker is just what its name describes? a gun that automatically cocks? they started out as pumps, Bud just slapped on some pneus to make it semi...
(sorry... still snickering and what appears to be one of the funniest piece of misinformation out there...)

EDIT: And whoah, somebody needs to finish reading threads before he starts laughing... :rolleyes:

Oh, and my vote is for Phantoms, best quality, best customer service, and best bang for your buck.

If you have lots of cocker barrels already, the Illusion is nice as well, but its not a Phantom... (and I like Illusions a lot). The CCI barrel doesn't need replacing, unless you insist on an aftermarket barrel to look cooler...

---Fred

thanx fred u make me feel all warm inside.... i know what a cocker is but had i said its a Sniper then i woul have gotten flamed. i was under the impression that it was mabey a nelson based pump, or even a seperate item like a sniper is the the cocker line, but what it actualy is is the kit and a cocker made by CCM, not an independedt gun, so mabey i should have said it was "Thier cocker with a pump kit"

Thordic
12-17-2002, 03:34 PM
Buzzard or a Comp, just spend the money :)

Fred
12-17-2002, 06:06 PM
the Chipley guns are very nice... but very expensive...

Carters are nice as well, but other than the fact that there aren't many out there, you don't get any real advantages over a Phantom (that costs half as much...).

Hoppys- sorry...

---Fred

halB
12-17-2002, 06:31 PM
christ thordic, why dont ya tell me to get a desert duck?

50 cal
12-17-2002, 08:08 PM
I have 2 Phantoms and love them both!
Had a Sterling pump for awhile, it's a good pump also.