PDA

View Full Version : Frame Package Contest Q&A's

shartley
08-13-2001, 07:40 AM
http://www.gbsu-usa.net/boss/aocontest.jpg
This is the Thread for Questions and Answers.

Thanks. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

(((( If you have not already been to the OFFICIAL RULES THREAD please do so before reading this thread or asking any questions! Thanks!)))
------------------
“The richest man is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.”

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-16-2001).]

Peanut The Paintballer
08-13-2001, 08:04 AM
What style grips will the people have a choice of? Also, what colors will it be available in. Thanks Shartley for the help.

shartley
08-13-2001, 08:17 AM
Peanut:
No problem. You were by far NOT the only one I helped. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif Just glad you all understood what I wrote. Just doing my part.

As for the grips and stuff... I will leave that for Tom to answer.

------------------
“The richest man is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.”

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-13-2001).]

Peanut The Paintballer
08-13-2001, 08:19 AM
Ok. I hope Tom sees this thread soon so i can get my questions answered. Ive got the day off today and plan on working on this all day. Oh, and btw, I took your advice to look at packages around the house lol

krafty
08-13-2001, 08:23 AM
Strange question, but should we leave room for a barcode, and if so, where should we leave it?

(Just so you know, I put one on my current design, on the back panel.) Just don't scan the barcode when you see it. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif It's off of a Discwasher Record Cleaner package.

Oh, and I may be blind (Lord knows I've been accused of it many times) but I never saw the "designated e-mail address" that was referred to in the Official Rules post.

krafty

------------------
Purple Minimag
with some stuff attached to it

[This message has been edited by krafty (edited 08-13-2001).]

squall
08-13-2001, 08:28 AM
Did I miss the email address for submission, or has it not been posted yet?

shartley
08-13-2001, 08:29 AM
krafty:
VERY good question. I like seeing people think!

I would advise putting a blank white barcode box on the BACK panel (as you have done), but put the text BAR CODE and not a sample one. That way if they need one, great, if not, it is not a problem. Typically this would work best at the lower right or left on the back panel.

Also, the suggestion about adding the two types of triggers the frame comes with (on the Rules Post), people may want to add that on the SIDE panel as well, just a bit smaller.

Thanks. It looks like this is going to shape up pretty good. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

shartley
08-13-2001, 08:31 AM
E-Mail address will be announced. Tom has to get one set up special for this.

Thanks.... Now going back to add that to the other post. LOL

------------------

Peanut The Paintballer
08-13-2001, 08:36 AM
Ok I am a bit confused. Will the final design be PRINTED in 300dpi or 72dpi. I dont know if its my printer but when i print in 72dpi some parts are blurry even though its huge text. Let me know Shartley. O and you have "Off Topic" email. Thanks again.

shartley
08-13-2001, 08:44 AM
The final printing will be done at a minimum of 300 DPI. The reason 72 DPI graphics look like crap when printed is that most printers START printing at 300, and go up from there.

So design all work AT 300 DPI. Tom's Web Staff will then take all those graphics and reduce them for Web Use. So.. don't worry about the 72 DPI issue.

If you take a logo from the AGD Main site (http://www.airgun.com) make sure you take the BIGGEST one you can, then make that into a 300 DPI image, do some sharpening, and it should be fine for use on such a small package.

Hope this helps.. It is hard giving hints without teaching it. http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

shartley
08-13-2001, 08:50 AM
In case anyone else missed this:

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">3) You agree that you are the creator of the design and did not use any part of it without permission. Copyright enforcement will be strictly adhered to. You are free to use any AGD Graphic or Picture, as well as Logo, in your design.</font>

(Sqweezer, could you go back and delete your post from the RULES Thread. Thanks. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif )

------------------

Webmaster
08-13-2001, 09:27 AM
Can we please have the dimensions of the piece in Inches? Id prefer to create in Illustrator which allows scalable designs...

------------------
Webmaster - AutoMags.Org
webmaster@automags.org
----------------------
"Good...bad...I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

GogdurA@@
08-13-2001, 09:38 AM
What are the 2 different triggers available, if I was to make a check box I need to know the names of them.

------------------
That's gonna leave a mark!

AGD
08-13-2001, 09:43 AM
The grips will be Dye black grips

Yes put a bar code on it or a space for a bar code

The pixels I gave you were based on 300 dots per inch, to get the actual size divide the pixel sizes by 300.

AGD

shartley
08-13-2001, 09:53 AM
The front panel = 1350 pixels wide by 750 tall. (4.5 inches X 2.5 inches)
The side panel = 1350 pixels wide by 450 tall. (4.5 inches X 1.5 inches)
Back panel = 1350 pixels wide by 1800 tall (4.5 inches X 6 inches)

Overall Design will be 4.5 inches wide X 10 inches tall.

Also been added to the RULES POST.

About the types of triggers.. I think it is Double and Blade. But I would not "fix" anything until Tom verifies this.

------------------

C¥borg
08-13-2001, 10:28 AM
Just my attempt to save my self some long upload times cause of my 28.8. Do the people at AGD have photoshop? If so what version, and could I send in an action instead of the full picture, I'd reatehr send a 1-2k file rather than a 2.9mb file.

If not I guess I can wait around for about twenty minutes or so.

shartley
08-13-2001, 10:33 AM
Just my thought... I think if we start allowing special things for people, it will get WAY out of hand, real quick.

Please send all files as stated in the OFFICIAL RULES. Each of you may be sending one, to several files to AGD.. but THEY will have to deal with ALL of yours. Lines have to be drawn (no pun intended) at some point.

I hope you understand. Thanks.

------------------

Webmaster
08-13-2001, 10:44 AM
Why not have the image SUBMITTED in 72 dpi - the one I did was only 200k or so...

Then you could have the winner ftp the winning image that will probably be 10mb or more for a good tif.

------------------
Webmaster - AutoMags.Org
webmaster@automags.org
----------------------

shartley
08-13-2001, 10:56 AM
Webby,
Tom and I had a talk about that last night, and we went over all the possibilities.

For reasons that I will not get into, Tom decided to make it as simple as possible for people. That is why we went with a single 300 DPI graphic. I am sure you can put 2 and 2 together on this issue. http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif

This contest was not intended for professionals, and thus, many things have to be taken into account.

------------------

Riotz
08-13-2001, 12:02 PM
shartley,

I don't like the following condition:

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">All entries become the property of AGD upon submission.</font>

If AGD doesn't use a design I come up with, I think I should still have rights to it in case I wanted to use it or aspects of it in any future designs I may produce. As someone who makes his living in design and graphics, signing away unused intellectual property is bad business. I don't mind giving up rights to an implemented design, but having my work shelved and then being made inaccessable to me in the future seems unnecessary.

------------------
Regards,
Jeffrey Bouquio Jr.

Thordic
08-13-2001, 12:02 PM
This is a question more for Tom than for anyone else.

I was kinda hoping we could get a good clear decent res picture of the grip with the Dye's on it. All the pics like that you have up here so far are with the orignal cruppy grips, not the Dye wrap arounds.

It would make this a little easier :-)

------------------
CamoSplashed MiniMag
S/N MM12913
Clear AGD Warp Feed
14" SP AA

Lots of stuff coming...

SuperG
08-13-2001, 12:07 PM
Sharley,
I know the frame comes with Dye sticky grips, and it would be appropriate to put the dye logo somewhere on the package. So, does AGD have permission to do that. Also, in accordance with your rules, if they do have permission, would it break your rules to put it on the design because we did not create the logo?

Peanut The Paintballer
08-13-2001, 12:08 PM
Riotz, as shartley said earlier the rules cant be bent. If you dont like them then dont enter the contest. Simple question, Simple solution.

Meric
08-13-2001, 12:15 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Thordic:
This is a question more for Tom than for anyone else.

I was kinda hoping we could get a good clear decent res picture of the grip with the Dye's on it. All the pics like that you have up here so far are with the orignal cruppy grips, not the Dye wrap arounds.

It would make this a little easier :-)

</font>

I agree with Thordic. We need some good quality images of the final product to work with. A 72 dpi image will never be as good as a 300 dpi image. Even if you increase the res and sharpen the image. Will it be possible to get these images for us to play with. If you want great quality entries, you need to provide us with great quality images.

-Meric-

shartley
08-13-2001, 12:29 PM
Riotz:
Good points. But it is common practice when submitting ANY work to companies, even pictures, that by doing so, you are giving up all rights to the subject matter.

And I think you are missing the point of the contest, it is not intended for Professionals. We do not exclude Professionals, but I would think that they would exclude themselves out of good form. But that is a personal decision.

As was stated, the rules are the rules. And you are free to not enter the contest. I personally would not have a problem with that. But I will NOT change the rules on that point. Sorry.

SuperG:
(Added later: Tom does not want them, and for the same reasons as my ones here.) I would advise against it, since this is NOT a DYE product, but an AGD one. And as for being against the rules because you did not create the logo... actually the rules cover that.. it is alright. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

As for the issue about quality images..
Tom can only answer that one. I personally did not have a problem with what I saw online. But I am not everyone. I did test runs here, and it printed fine. Again, Tom will have to make that decision.

------------------

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-16-2001).]

cphilip
08-13-2001, 12:32 PM
I am staying out as I do have too much expertise and resources at my disposal. Wouldn't be fair.

(And I would then be real embarrassed not to win! http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif)

[This message has been edited by cphilip (edited 08-13-2001).]

Thordic
08-13-2001, 12:45 PM
Since Webbie is entering, I don't think any other "professionals" should be reccomended to bow out. Webbie could easily be considered a "professional"

Also, considering that AGD wants the best logo possible, whoever does the best possible work should win. AGD deserves the best logo anyone could create, professional or amateur. I'm sure there are non-professionals out there who have a huge amount of graphics experience, and professionals who have simply taught themselves. Getting paid to do something doesn't always mean you are good at it. Look at the Mets :-)

[This message has been edited by Thordic (edited 08-13-2001).]

cphilip
08-13-2001, 12:49 PM
Naw I think Webby situation is different. I believe he is an amateur at Graphics Design. But...

I am at a University that is supported by Tax Payers and I have all kinds of design and graphics capabilities at my disposal. So even though I am not a Graphics Designer by profession it could be construed that I took advantage of these and used them to produce something for this. And boy howdy could I! So I will just sit this one out and let you guys play with it.

shartley
08-13-2001, 12:50 PM
To address the "Webby" issue. He is not entering the contest. It was a slight oversight on his part.

This has nothing to do with him being a professional or not, but one of him being Staff at AO, AO is where the Contest is being run, and AO is Owned by AGD.

I think this should up that issue to rest. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Thank you.

(Oh, and I was not suggesting that all professionals bow out. I was addressing one "professional" that seemed to have a problem with the rules.. which were geared for armatures. Like I said, it is a personal choice.)

------------------

Webmaster
08-13-2001, 12:51 PM
Im entering because I want AGD to have the best packaging possible. That may or may not be from me. If I win - I will give the RT Pro to the runner up. Please dont think because you have some experiance you should bow out. AGD needs something clean and good looking - vs amature with lots of lens flairs, 6 typfaces, and 32 different colors... Tom wanted the best of what AO has to offer - that includes all of you...

------------------
Webmaster - AutoMags.Org
webmaster@automags.org
----------------------

cphilip
08-13-2001, 12:54 PM
Uhhh... shartley... I don't think webby is on "Staff" at AGD.

shartley
08-13-2001, 12:57 PM
Phil.... e-mail me.

Webby... check your mail.

Thanks.

------------------

Webmaster
08-13-2001, 01:01 PM
Nevermind - Im exempt....guess I can show you what I was working on... YES its partly upside down - its made as one sheet...

http://www.automags.org/webmaster/agd_frame.gif

good luck to everyone!

------------------
Webmaster - AutoMags.Org
webmaster@automags.org
----------------------

SuperG
08-13-2001, 01:03 PM
Shartley,
I'm not being impatient since the contest ends the 24th, but when will the e-mail addy we send our "creative" designs to be posted? thnx

Thordic
08-13-2001, 01:09 PM
I'm definitely not a professional, but I have Photoshop 6.0 at home with Alien Skin EyeCandy, Extensis PhotoTools, Xenotools, and some other various filters; CorelDRAW 9.0, Adobe Illustrator (forget the version), Jasc Paintshop Pro, Bryce 3D, etc, etc.

But in all honesty, resources mean nothing nothing if you don't know how to use them. And honestly, even knowing how to use them I probably won't use more than Photoshop and maybe some CorelDRAW. Lots of people out there have access to either or both of those programs. If not, well, make due with what you can. I've seen people do wonders with Paint Shop Pro, with is technically an inferior program.

pot35tom
08-13-2001, 01:23 PM
hey webmaster,

No offence, but i see it an advantage for you because you have found out what the INTELLIFRAME has and its optional parts, i dont care, im just saying that we need to know what parts it comes standard with, and what parts are optional, and a brief description since its a new grip, and we dont know the slightest thing about it, thanx.

pot35tom
08-13-2001, 01:24 PM
oh wait, i just looked at your post and it says your exempt, i didnt see that, im sry

Thordic
08-13-2001, 01:29 PM
Uhm, 90% of this website knew everything about the Intelliframe a long time ago. If Webby knew anything before we did, it wasn't too big a headstart.

Mr.E Mag Man
08-13-2001, 01:29 PM
Wow, webbie has a nice sample there.. much better than I could probably do. Everyone check it out, it looks great.

pot35tom
08-13-2001, 01:41 PM
tell me 6 things about the intelliframe....without looking at webbys pic(which is very nice!)

shartley
08-13-2001, 01:50 PM
SuperG:

Tom will let us know where to send the files. I am sure it will be within the next couple days.

Thanks.

------------------

irbodden
08-13-2001, 01:53 PM
webbie had the same look as one of my ideas, I got two going and I am going to pick which looks best at the end. Nice smooth lines and shapes, simple text, and a nice simple color scheme all the way. The modern look is cool, I like your idea on drawing the trigger frame. My other idea is kinda hightech matrix looking thing. I like both as of right now http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

-Rick

pot35tom
08-13-2001, 01:54 PM
k http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif
im almost fiished on my first one, but, how many designs can we have? thanx

shartley
08-13-2001, 02:00 PM
How many can we submit?

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">9) There is no limit to the amount of entries each person can submit. HOWEVER, keep in mind that this is not a win by flooding contest. It is QUALITY that counts. I would advise limiting yourself to a couple at most… ONE great one is best. You have two weeks to work on it, so USE that time.</font>

Thanks

------------------

Ground_zer0
08-13-2001, 02:03 PM
Ok a few questions.

1. Once again I'm going to request some more various pictures of the frame, especially a good picture of one with the blade, and one with the standard trigger.

2. Are the dye grips dye stiky grips, or are they dye standard grips. There is a differeance, and I believe we dont want false advertising on the packaging http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Thx -Matt

I'll probably have more questions in the near future, but i got my preliminary design done.

SuperG
08-13-2001, 03:04 PM
In looking at webbies design, it notice it has the suggested retail price. Should we include that?

pot35tom
08-13-2001, 03:11 PM
$139.99!!!, i better win this contest if im ever gonna get one http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Webmaster
08-13-2001, 03:15 PM
Heres a tip....when you are doing a design and the marketing people havent given you all the copy - or even all the features - just make it up!

I dont know the MSRP - but I guessed. I made up my own list of features that I thought would be good to show case.

Good design is NOT dependent on the EXACT information you place. You arent going to loose because you put $100 msrp and it was actually higher. Design is all about PLACEMENT and ORGANIZATION of information. You could take my design and make all of the text in nonsence latin and it would still be a decent design. Infact, when I dont have the copy, I usualy do what is called greeking - which is just filler text to show this is where the info will go. Your design will either be strong or weak. THey can tweak the exact wording afterwords - thats not a big deal.

------------------
Webmaster - AutoMags.Org
webmaster@automags.org
----------------------

irbodden
08-13-2001, 03:18 PM
throdic, besides the fact those pieces of software are more than likely bootleged (who would spend all that money on plug ins) why would you want to use those anyways, to get funny letters?

-rick

pot35tom
08-13-2001, 03:19 PM
hey, i was j/w, can u tell us how u did the frame on ur front http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

shartley
08-13-2001, 03:20 PM
SuperG:
I personally would not add the MSRP on the design. I think for the Paintball Shop's benefit, I would leave it off. But I think Tom should answer that one. It is his product.

pot35tom:
I think you need to re-read what you get if you actually WIN this contest. It is FAR more than $139.99. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

MajorDamage
08-13-2001, 03:25 PM
Ok, are my pictures in the proper format? Im working on making them all one picture, but is it the correct dpi and whatnot? Help would be appreciated. Thanx.
** helping you out man **

ENDO!

------------------
GO HERE!: <A HREF="http://wsnonline.8k.com" TARGET=_blank>http://wsnonline.8k.com

</A>The Witherspoon News! Sign the guestbook! It better than sunglasses, and twice as fragrent!

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 08-13-2001).]

Thordic
08-13-2001, 03:32 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by irbodden:
throdic, besides the fact those pieces of software are more than likely bootleged (who would spend all that money on plug ins) why would you want to use those anyways, to get funny letters?

-rick</font>

Photoshop's usefulness should be plainly obvious. Its the single most useful piece of software I own. CorelDRAW is better for more intensive design work, and creating layouts for a variety of projects. It's also great for making flyers and such with easy multi-page management. Having both also allows me to take work home with me.

I've found that Paint Shop Pro will open ANY graphics format I can come across. Every once in a while I will come across a file format that Photoshop won't recognize, and neither will any other program. For some reason PSP opens that file 99% of the time. Then I can save it in a format Photoshop or another program will recognize. That feature in and of itself is rather useful.

I don't have illustrator installed currently, because it's pain to work with, and I don't feel like investing the time in doing so right now.

The other programs I own I just have because I got them from someone who gave me a whole package in bulk. It's handy to know that if I ever NEED to use Illustrator to edit an EPS (I have yet to find another program that can edit Illustrator files), I have that capability.

As for their legality, you are free to make your own assumptions :-)

shartley
08-13-2001, 03:36 PM
MajorDamage

I hope you are not going to be the FIRST disqualified because you can not read the rules. Please go back and read about Posting your images online.

Thanks.

------------------

MajorDamage
08-13-2001, 03:50 PM
im sorry, I didnt see any post about putting pictures online(I still cant find it). And im changing a few things on that picture. I just wanted to know if it was the right format.

ENDO!

------------------
GO HERE!: <A HREF="http://wsnonline.8k.com" TARGET=_blank>http://wsnonline.8k.com

</A>The Witherspoon News! Sign the guestbook! It better than sunglasses, and twice as fragrent!

jah871
08-13-2001, 03:53 PM
shartly, this may be stuid question but im kinda confused. are we supposed to make it one whole design and not 3 seperate>? beacuse 2 people posted there designs at the begining and it was 3 seperate and webby made 1 whole desig?

shartley
08-13-2001, 03:53 PM
http://www.automags.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005624.html

OFFICIAL RULES

------------------

pot35tom
08-13-2001, 03:55 PM
im almost done!, and i dont know y im posting this!maybe because im a moron!and i always use "!"'s !

MajorDamage
08-13-2001, 03:57 PM
Ok, thanx sorry. I missed that part. But was it in the proper format? Thanx.

ENDO!

------------------

shartley
08-13-2001, 03:59 PM
jah871:

The graphic is made up of 3 sections... joined together to form ONE image. The final submission MUST be in ONE image since that is how it will be printed.

I have explained this earlier... just scan for any posts I made in this thread, and go back and read the Official Rules post. I think you will understand. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

MajorDamage
08-13-2001, 04:01 PM
yeah I know that, I already have it in one picture on my computer. I just wanted to know if it was the proper dpi and whatnot. Sorry if im being annoying, I just want to make sure I do it right.

ENDO!

------------------

jah871
08-13-2001, 04:02 PM
Alright thanks for your help.

pot35tom
08-13-2001, 04:06 PM
so shurtly when our design is done, it should look like webbys looks like?
thanx, just wanted to clear it up for other people...........heh

MajorDamage
08-13-2001, 04:12 PM
No AGD said no borders. So no dotted lines.

ENDO!

------------------

Mega Man
08-13-2001, 04:12 PM
Should we put dotted lines or something to seperate the three sections or should we just leave it be?

shartley
08-13-2001, 04:24 PM
Yes... it will be like Webby's.. all one image.

No, do not put dotted lines. It will be folded where the sections meet. That is why the section dimensions were given. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

And as for proper resolution and size... please visit the Rules Post. It can not get any more clear than that. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

pot35tom
08-13-2001, 04:37 PM
Thanks shurtley, ur a beast

shartley
08-13-2001, 04:42 PM
LOL pot35tom

You have said that before.... Can I take that as a compliment? http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif

(Oh, I am not suppose to be the one asking questions am I? jk)

------------------

Army
08-13-2001, 07:16 PM
Oops, I accidently deleted a post on the "contest rules" thread. It asked what the Email addy was to send your ideas to.

If you read rule #7, Tom has not established the special address for the contest yet, please be patient http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Army
08-13-2001, 07:26 PM
WickeDKlowN
posted 08-13-2001 08:21 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
is it oj if theyre zipped up, because thats the only AOL will allow me to send multiple files?
-Jerry

IP: Logged

InfinatyBPS
08-13-2001, 07:31 PM
If I have 4 fronts and only one side and back, do I have to make 4 total things with, a side, a front and a back, or can I just send in the one file with 1 front back and side and then send in the other fronts separate? Before you said not to post our pics yet, I did so does that mean im disqualified already?

shartley
08-13-2001, 07:38 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If I have 4 fronts and only one side and back, do I have to make 4 total things with, a side, a front and a back, or can I just send in the one file with 1 front back and side and then send in the other fronts separate? Before you said not to post our pics yet, I did so does that mean im disqualified already? </font>

Yes, send 4 graphics total. Just replace each front with the new one.

And no, you are not disqualified. Just go back and find your post and delete it. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif I will not hold you to that rule since it did not exist at the time. But it stands now.

Thanks.

(Oh, and thanks ARMY. I was about to ask you to delete it anyway. Trying to keep that Topic clean.)

------------------

shartley
08-13-2001, 07:44 PM
WickeDKlowN:

I don't see it as a problem them being sent in a ZIP file. That would make it easier for Tom actually. But I will let him answer that one himself since I don't have to receive them... I am just organizing and keeping things on track.

Check back tomorrow for Tom's answer. He usually comes on late at night and early in the morning. If he says "Yes" I will add it to the Contest Rules Thread. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks.

------------------

chupcha
08-13-2001, 09:23 PM
hey shartley or anybody?

Post a picture of the intelliframe in the forum so we can use it in the design.

Thanks

AGD
08-13-2001, 09:26 PM
Oh my gosh Shartley is getting swamped. PLEASE guys he is doing this for practically nothing let's try and review the rules before asking him.

1. Yes we have photoshop
2. NO do not use the DYE logo we don't want to promote them any more than we have too.
3. Do not put the price on the box.

Peanut The Paintballer
08-13-2001, 11:08 PM
Some advice for you guys, If you are getting a free copy of photoshop or something, dont get caught plz. Thats all we need is someone to get caught and sued because of a contest. Just my 2 cents, i know its not a question shartley but id figure id post it up anyway.

shartley
08-13-2001, 11:23 PM
Peanut :
Thank you for your concern. But there is NO way to know what software a person used to make a graphic simply by looking at it. And most definitely not after it is printed.

I think "Don't ask. Don't tell." Would be a good answer to that subject. I will not get into the legalities of "Pirated" Software.

Thanks.

------------------

krafty
08-13-2001, 11:30 PM
Hey shartley,

Any chance of you getting Tom to post a pic of the makeshift packaging he put together all laid-out on a table? It might help people visualize how the 1 image with 3 panels should be formatted. (The front panel will be upside-down compared to the side and back panels when it's laid out flat.)

Just a thought. Carry on.

krafty
and GREAT job so far, by the way, on this whole contest thingy. You're to be commended!

shartley
08-13-2001, 11:42 PM
krafty:
Thank you for the suggestion and comments.

About the laid out part.

What I have suggested to a bunch of you, is to simply take a piece of paper and fold it like the packaging will be folded.

Then on the front mark FRONT with an arrow pointing to the top...

then on the side (which will actually be the top) mark SIDE and an arrow pointing to the top..

and finally for the back, mark BACK with the appropriate arrow.

I think this should be easy enough for everyone to do themselves. No need to put up a picture.

Thanks for the suggestion though. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Army
08-13-2001, 11:51 PM
Flamebo
posted 08-14-2001 12:29 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Give us a couple angles on it in good quality, I'm sure I'm not the best designer on the board but I can probably whip a few quick things up to get the others started. Plus it'll be fun...
IP: Logged

Mojojojo
08-13-2001, 11:59 PM
i give up...i'm no good w/ comp drawings...so i'm not even gonna try this one.................hey the q&a's were good quality advice...thnx

Eric

------------------
"Blood is foul, The Flesh dross. My Ascendance thirsts for life itself"
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/shootingsoldier.gif

AGD
08-14-2001, 01:19 AM
Intelliframe Pics you asked for.

AGD

http://www.automags.org/~TomAGD/intelfr01.jpg

http://www.automags.org/~TomAGD/intelfr02.jpg

http://www.automags.org/~TomAGD/intelfr03.jpg

http://www.automags.org/~TomAGD/intelfr04.jpg

http://www.automags.org/~TomAGD/intelfr05.jpg

Thordic
08-14-2001, 05:58 AM
Thanks a million, Tom.

shartley
08-14-2001, 06:16 AM
Tom,
Thanks!

I am glad you cleared up the Dye issue as well. I thought you would go with that, but did not want to exclude it until you gave the official word.

One thing you forgot to comment on was the use of ZIP file for sending you multiple images. Again I think you will say it is fine, but I am not the one who has to process them. Could we get a clarification?

Thanks.

------------------

chupcha
08-14-2001, 06:37 AM
Hey

Thanks for the pictures Tom.

Shartley, i dont think a zip file is a good idea. It will take the guys at AGD quite some timet to unzip those files, and thus holding up the process.

Zip compression best works with numerous files in different folders, zipping up 3-4 files is just a waste of time.

------------------
--------------------
Roman Lebedinskiy
chupcha@acky.net
professional web designs
------------------------

shartley
08-14-2001, 06:56 AM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Shartley, i dont think a zip file is a good idea. It will take the guys at AGD quite some timet to unzip those files, and thus holding up the process.
</font>

Respectfully, if anyone has a problem unzipping a simple ZIP file they should not be working for Tom. It takes NO time to unzip a ZIP file, you open it and export to whatever directory you want it in.

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Zip compression best works with numerous files in different folders, zipping up 3-4 files is just a waste of time.</font>

Again, I have to respectfully disagree on this point as well. It is not a waste of time to send 3-4 10m files in one Zip file. You can choose the compression you want and it can reduce the total amount of individual e-mails sent to them. Also, even if you send 3 graphics at 10m each and can get them down to 15-20m by zipping them together, it is easier and faster than sending 3 images in 3 e-mails at 10m each.

Again, this is up to Tom what he wants to do.

Thank you.

------------------

cphilip
08-14-2001, 12:00 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pot35tom:
but for fear other people might take my design, i am not posting it yetm i might later if shurtly wants me to. </font>

YOU BETTER NOT POST IT NOW OR LATER OR YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED! Wouldn't that be a waste?

read the rules you guys. Youa re to wait with your hands between your legs until you are given the email address to send them to.

DO NOT POST THEM UP!

(Just me... cphilip filling in a bit for my old buddy shurtly.... um...er..I mean shartley ummm...er ... http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif)

pot35tom
08-14-2001, 12:02 PM
wow, srrrrrry dude, i guess i didnt c that.

shartley
08-14-2001, 12:07 PM
Thanks Phil. I am back now. Check you e-mail.

And Phil was correct, Posting entries will cause them to be disqualified. And we don't want that. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

cphilip
08-14-2001, 12:08 PM
That's why I shouted it! I don't want you to screw up and lose your chances. Also it was for anyone elses benefit that might have overlooked it. I'm always watching out for you dude! http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif

pot35tom
08-14-2001, 12:10 PM
lol, thanx

cphilip
08-14-2001, 12:11 PM
Alright "Shurtly" good to see you back.

Oh and that's rule 13 by the way...how ironic?

[This message has been edited by cphilip (edited 08-14-2001).]

irbodden
08-14-2001, 01:01 PM
I have put about 3 hours a day in, and still dont have a design I like, I went from trendy, to hightech interface, to a matrix idea. I'll probly submit them all, since its no use putting good entries to waste huh? I have no clue where to go with this :/

-rick

shartley
08-14-2001, 01:09 PM
Don't worry about going in many directions. When designing this type of stuff, it is not uncommon to come up with drastically different designs.

As long as each, although quite different, is of good quality, you folks will be fine.

I like seeing people work though. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

irbodden
08-14-2001, 01:13 PM
Man, I hope someone comes up with a good one http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

-Rick

Peanut The Paintballer
08-14-2001, 01:25 PM
For the past couple days ive been working it a min of 5 hours or so. the first day i actually worked on it 10 hours straight. And im still picky about the design lol

krafty
08-14-2001, 01:40 PM
Geepers... 3 hours total. Maybe I'm an underachiever (my folks would readily agree with that statement) but if I keep working on something, I end up screwing up perfectly good designs by overthinking. I've completed 1 design which is just waiting for the e-mail address, and will start working on a 2nd tonight.

And HOPEFULLY it will be done tonight, too.

krafty

irbodden
08-14-2001, 01:44 PM
Those photos Tom posted have way to many shadows and diffrent lights in em' to do what I wanted. I hope I make something to be proud of :/

-Rick

SuperG
08-14-2001, 02:49 PM
I have to disagree with Tom's statement of not using a small DYE logo to advertise the grips. Personally, I think he would sell more of these frames if they flaunted the idea of them coming with the Stickys. Its not really hurting my design, but I think it will hurt AGD. So, this is my formal request to get the DYE logo on the design. <I hope I don't get digitally tarred-and-feathered for disagreeing>.

shartley
08-14-2001, 03:03 PM
SuperG:
Thank you for your comment.

However, did you look at how large the DYE logo is on the actual grip? Can you SEE it on the actual Grip, even through the CLEAR PLASTIC Packaging?

Do you actually think (honestly) that not having a little DYE logo on the Package Design will hurt AGD? Tom is correct, and I hinted at it with my original answer to the DYE logo question.... it is NOT a DYE product. It is an AGD Product that uses a DYE part.

This is not an Ad Slic to be placed in a Magazine. It is packaging label design placed on the Product Packaging.

Tom has made his decision on this, and is right on. When you look at the packaging with the product IN it, if you did not know it was an AGD Product (without putting it on the Label), you would already THINK at a glance that it was a DYE product.

I think this ends that issue.

Thanks.

------------------

pot35tom
08-14-2001, 06:10 PM
shurtly beasts' him out http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

pot35tom
08-14-2001, 06:13 PM
and besides, i think tom would like any grip i mean he did like the name INTELLIFRAME better than
&nbspG
N D "Vantage"

am i right?, lol, im jk , hehe

pot35tom
08-14-2001, 06:14 PM
oops!, i meant
&nbsp&nbspG
A D Vantage (if u dont c it, it says ADvantage, heh

shartley
08-14-2001, 06:25 PM
I just put the misspelled name (mine) and Beast together. Cute. http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif

But I would like to quell any misunderstandings. My aim is not to attack, but to inform. There are reasons beyond what some might easily overlook, for decisions made in this contest and in business in general.

The DYE logo was one of them. I am quite sure after reexamining the product, the contest and its intended goal, and the reason for product labeling, any doubts of WHY it is not going to be allowed on the Label is now abundantly clear.

Some people, and companies, would not have even bothered to explain why a decision is (was) made... only that one HAD been made. I was only showing the WHY. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

I hope SuperG understood my intent. When answering questions and concerns here, I do not only answer them for the individual making the comment or question... it is done for everyone to read and understand. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Nitroduck
08-14-2001, 06:56 PM
This isn't a question, but....

I would sugguest to AGD that when they have the gallery of designs that made it to the final ideas that AGD thought were good. I would sugguest that they NOT list the names of people who designed it untill the contest is over. I wouldn't want people playing favorites baised on post count, or coolness and not baised on the design of box...

shartley
08-14-2001, 07:03 PM
Good suggestion.

I have already discussed that with Tom. I think he is leaning toward posting both a number for the Graphic, and the Name of the Designer.

I hope he takes another look at this issue, but when it all comes down to it, he is the Boss. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks.

------------------

irbodden
08-14-2001, 07:08 PM
put the names on em' who cares about post count.

-rick

Nitroduck
08-14-2001, 07:28 PM
The reason i think that there shouldn't be any names is because : if anyone is unpopular on the forum , or has a low post count ,people might look at that and decide not to vote for thier item. Also , if lets say......webmaster makes a AWESOME package, and it undoubtedly should be the packaging , alot of people probabally wouldn't want him to get it for the sole fact of him being the webmaster.

WickeDKlowN
08-14-2001, 07:48 PM
Does it HAVE to be one picture? because on the original thread tom said he might pick one persons front, and another persons side or back.and what if someone has like 4 fronts, but only 3 backs, or sides?

-Jerry

------------------
WickeDKlowN
IRC:|^XeoN^|
XeoN42069@aol.com
Team TwiztiD (http://teamtwiztid.cjb.net/)
"Huked On Fonix Reely Wurks For Me"

AGD
08-14-2001, 08:44 PM
Zip files are ok.

AGD

shartley
08-14-2001, 08:51 PM
Nitroduck:
Good points, but Webby is NOT in the contest. He is the Webmaster of the site the contest is being run on, and the site it is being run on is owned by AGD.

WickeDKlowN:
YES it HAS to be in ONE graphic. I have said that before. If you have more than one front, but want to submit only one side and back, or whatever, you must make a total image for each.

And the question about sending as ONE image has already been answered in THIS thread ( as well as being in the Official Rules)...

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">quote:
If I have 4 fronts and only one side and back, do I have to make 4 total things with, a side, a front and a back, or can I just send in the one file with 1 front back and side and then send in the other fronts separate? Before you said not to post our pics yet, I did so does that mean im disqualified already?

Yes, send 4 graphics total. Just replace each front with the new one.

And no, you are not disqualified. Just go back and find your post and delete it. I will not hold you to that rule since it did not exist at the time. But it stands now.

Thanks.
</font>

This is not a contest on who can come up with the best PART of the design, but who can come up with the best TOTAL design.

I put a lot of time and effort into the rules, and in answering all your questions. I don’t think it is too much to ask that people show me the courtesy of actually READING what I wrote.

------------------

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-14-2001).]

shartley
08-14-2001, 08:52 PM
Thanks Tom, I will get that on the Official Rules Post.

------------------

DaXtremeist
08-14-2001, 10:44 PM
ok i have one question. who is going to be voting on wich design Wins. because i am unsure if the bored votes or that agd chooses.

Thanx

pot35tom
08-14-2001, 11:08 PM
with my design, and those pics....i shall be, UNSTOPABLE!!, i dont know, i was just bored so i posted somthing.........

pot35tom
08-14-2001, 11:10 PM
oh, and hey shurtly, i didnt say u were a beast, that was my brother, automagseeker, just to let you know. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

pot35tom
08-14-2001, 11:45 PM
okay, im done!!!!, since i worked on it 9 hours yesterday, and 5 hours today , i should hope i would be done by now, but for fear other people might take my design, i am not posting it yetm i might later if shurtly wants me to. and guys, i dont have an automag i have a beat up tippmann which i want to replace, my brother told me about this and since i know like everything about computers, i decied to register and go for this contest, even tho that was pointless of me saying this, i just was bored, cya

shartley
08-15-2001, 10:42 AM
Waiting on conformation from Tom, but I think it is going to be you Members Voting for the design.

------------------

StevoC
08-15-2001, 01:09 PM
I've searched and searched...has the email for the submissions been given yet?

shartley
08-15-2001, 01:13 PM
No, it has not been given out yet.

Keep checking with the Official Rules Thread. As soon as Tom gives it to me, I will put it up for you guys.

Thanks.

------------------

Xzion
08-15-2001, 01:14 PM
What type/grade aluminum is the frame made out of?

shartley
08-15-2001, 01:29 PM
Xzion:
I don't think that is an issue for this contest. Overloading a package label with too much information is often times worse than not putting enough on it.

This is not a knife, where the type and grade of steal is clearly marked. It is a product using many materials. I suggest focusing on the product and not it's chemical makeup. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif What type of Aluminum it uses will not be a major selling point.

You may want to ask that in the Tech Forum though. I am sure they would be delighted to answer it. But it is unneeded information for this contest.

------------------

automagseeker
08-15-2001, 01:32 PM
Hey Shartley, do u think you could tell us the exact place where the mirco switch would go?, also where the intellifeed interface would be at approx., or are these two things I just mentioned the same thing?Thanks for your time

Gunga
08-15-2001, 01:39 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by automagseeker:
Hey Shartley, do u think you could tell us the exact place where the mirco switch would go?, also where the intellifeed interface would be at approx., or are these two things I just mentioned the same thing?Thanks for your time</font>

Automagseeker,

There's pics of the interior of the Intelliframe w/Microswitch & interface at: http://www.automags.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004069.html

shartley
08-15-2001, 01:42 PM
Thanks Gunga. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-15-2001).]

Peanut The Paintballer
08-15-2001, 01:43 PM
automagseeker, shartley does not for work AGD so he would not know the answer to your question. Try asking Tom in the tech forum. Also as shartley said before, overloading a package with too much info is not a good idea. The location of the microswitch will not be a selling point due to it being an *optional* feature.

automagseeker
08-15-2001, 02:33 PM
thanks you Gunga, and Peanut, I was asking him b/c he was incharge of this whole op, I know he doesn't work for AGD, but thanks anyways

2000Sabre
08-15-2001, 04:27 PM
Shartley I know Tom hasn't given you the email address for where to send the designs yet. I was wondering if you could get the info out of Tom sooner rather than later. I'm leaving for vacation on Saturday morning and will not have access to my PC. So my self impossed deadline is this Friday evening to submit my design. I'd hate to lose out because I can't submit the design because I don't know where to send it.

Also, anyway that the judging can be determined by a comination of popular vote plus some input from AGD marketing or some panel of judges (You, Webby, Tom, etc.). I'd hate to see a design win because someone writes some code to automatically vote for a design a million times. Not that we have people on the forum that would do that. Just a thought.

shartley
08-15-2001, 04:30 PM
2000Sabre:

Very valid issues. If Tom does not get an e-mail address by that time, you can send them to ME. Just take my e-mail address from my profile. But do not send it to me unless you e-mail me first and I okay it.

NOTE: This is not for everyone! This is a special case that falls within a disqualification caused by US and not him.

Also, that Voting problem you mentioned... don't worry about that, it will not happen that way. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-15-2001).]

Xzion
08-15-2001, 07:28 PM
I think the AO members, should vote for the top three, and have Tom, or the AGD/AO 'staff' choose from the top three we picked out or something like that... would still be letting us decide the new look, but also give some discression over the choice. and is sending the entries as a .PSD okay too? since, if im not mistaken AGD does have PhotoShop?

shartley
08-15-2001, 07:42 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">4) Only standard graphic formats will be accepted. (Tiff. Gif. JPG. PDF. Etc.) NOTE: Multiple Entries may be entered in ZIP format. </font>

Pretty forward on that subject.

Please try to read the rules better before asking questions.. also read the questions and answers posted in this thread. (That is for everybody.) It gets hard staying nice about things when people fail to, or refuse to READ.

Also, please... everyone... don't offer suggestions as to how the contest is being run. It is not a contest to determine how the contest will be voted.

Give an inch, take a mile. Please understand that allowing some participation does not mean TOTAL participation. Try not to abuse it. Focus on providing quality entries.

Thanks.

------------------

shartley
08-16-2001, 06:16 AM
I am putting this update on here as well as on the Official Rules Thread (this helps bring it back to the top as well).

You MEMBERS will be voting on the Final Design.

The E-Mail Address for Entries is contest@airgun.com

Thanks.

------------------

shartley
08-16-2001, 03:36 PM
Git to the top!

Thanks! http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

SuperG
08-16-2001, 04:52 PM
I'll help in the cause, Sharley. Go up, up, and, well, not away!

Oops, just thought of a question...when you post the pics of the designs for people to vote, are they going to anonymous. Someone brough this up early, but I don't remember a reponse. BTW, you're doing great with this!

chupcha
08-16-2001, 05:03 PM
Hey Shartley, whats up.

Great Job with the updated "official Rules" thing.

I have a personal question about the contest. The contest ends on the 24th and I know you alerady gave out the e-mail, so it will not be a problem sending the pictures before i leave for bootcamp.

Im not going to be around to view the posts and vote for them etc. If by any chance i win (hehe), can i let a friend of mine claim the prize?

Also, when sending the e-mail, should we include any of our registration information? Like the AO "UsernName", full address, etc?

Thanks

------------------
--------------------
Roman Lebedinskiy
chupcha@acky.net
professional web designs
------------------------

shartley
08-16-2001, 05:11 PM
SuperG:

From what Tom told me last time, there will be both a number (for easy voting) and the name of the Artist. There are advantages and disadvantages to this system, and I have discussed them all with Tom... nothing new could be added. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Tom knows how I feel, but as I keep saying... It is Tom's Show... I am just directing it. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif And I will do so AS he wants.

There is still a week left, so we will see what happens. But this is really a side issue, and an internal one. Again, what people should do is concentrate on getting us some great entries. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks. This can be like a wild horse... let go of the reins for a second and...... HOLD ON! LOL http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif I do what I can.

------------------

shartley
08-16-2001, 05:20 PM
chupcha:
Thanks (but for what, I am still unsure... LOL).

I will let Tom make the "friend receiving the prize" decision. And I am sure that will NOT be posted. But we are making a note of the situation.

As for the what gets sent with the Entry.... good question. YES make sure you provide your AO Name. Also provide all contact information, Real Name, Age, Address, etc. I will go and add this information on the Official Rules Page as well. This information will assist in awarding prizes. Thank you.

NOTE: Being under 18 will NOT disqualify you from winning. So be honest! There are legal reasons for this. Thanks.

------------------

pot35tom
08-16-2001, 05:30 PM
up goodluck to everyone

SuperG
08-16-2001, 05:32 PM
Sorry to ask another question, but is "Attitude by Design" usable in our graphics? Its under the "Sponsor, Brought to you by Airgun Designs" thing, and was wondering if we could use that?

pot35tom
08-16-2001, 05:36 PM
The intellifeed interface, and the micro switch, they both have to deal with the same thing right? Thanks, but they are two separate things?

shartley
08-16-2001, 05:37 PM
SuperG:
That goes with a complete setup (Marker AND Warp Feed) and not a single product.... so, sure if you want to use it, go ahead.

I will suggest however, NOT using it. Why? Because it has been done. http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif

Tom was hoping for some new stuff. (hint hint) New product, now saying. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks.

------------------

shartley
08-16-2001, 05:41 PM
pot35tom:

Sorry wrong forum... that is a Tech question. I only answer Contest and Design questions.

Could you take that to the Tech Area please?

(NOTE: Everyone else keep that in mind. Only Contest and Design questions are answered here, not Technical Questions about the product. I am not a Marker Tech. LOL Thanks. )

------------------

chupcha
08-16-2001, 06:22 PM
Shartley,

just to sweeten the decision of the "friend receivign the prize", I would like to say that I will embark on a 4 year journey to the United States Airforce to protect our country from all engaging enemies so women, children and men all alike can enjoy the benefits of a democrasy and PAINTBALL. woohoo.

=]

------------------
--------------------
Roman Lebedinskiy
chupcha@acky.net
professional web designs
------------------------

shartley
08-16-2001, 06:30 PM
chupcha:

Well I will first say thank you. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif And get all you can out of it. I will not get into how the Service treats its members (look to the mid 90's and all the cutbacks), but it IS a good thing for everyone to do. It builds character, and discipline (for most).

Now with that out of the way.... Like I said, we will take your situation into account. That is about all I can say on the matter. Just make sure you mention all this when you submit your entry.

------------------

shartley
08-17-2001, 05:51 AM
Take to the top...

------------------

chupcha
08-17-2001, 07:29 AM
Hey Shartley,

what are the dimensions of the bar code that Tom mentioned we have to put in. I couldnt find it anywhere in the other posts.

thanks

------------------
--------------------
Roman Lebedinskiy
chupcha@acky.net
professional web designs
------------------------

shartley
08-17-2001, 07:55 AM
Bar codes vary in size. So that is not a big issue. Just wing it! It is best to be a little on the large size (you see this a lot on packaging.. where the actual bar code does not take up the total space provided for it).

What I suggest is look at some products handy, and pick a good size that goes with your design. This aspect can be modified by AGD before final printing anyway since it only involves a white box.

If Tom knows the exact dimensions, it would be great, but he probably does not. He reads this thread, so if he does, I am sure he will let you all know.

Until then, go with my suggestion. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif (After all, having the box there is a luxury anyway.... since it could be added by AGD ANYWHERE after the main design is created. Putting one on the actual design allows the designer to NOT put crucial information where a Barcode MAY be placed. When I design packaging, I personally never put the box on it until it is ready to actually GO to press. That way if things change a little, it does not matter. But please keep in mind that we are not running this like a standard Design Project. The requirements would be MUCH more demanding, much more precise, NO flattened images would be used for initial consideration, font types would be specified, final draft formatting would be specified, etc., etc. etc. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif)

Thanks.

------------------

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-17-2001).]

krafty
08-17-2001, 09:03 AM
Personally, I used a 400 wide by 200 high white box for the barcode... It looked good in my particular design.

krafty

shartley
08-17-2001, 02:59 PM
Yes, that would work too. Again, what works best with the individual's design is what will be best for the contest as it stands.

Yeah.. I did not have to say this... but it brings it back to the top. LOL

------------------

shartley
08-18-2001, 12:07 PM
Just saw it was getting buried.

Up to the top please.

------------------

krafty
08-18-2001, 11:15 PM
back from the grave...

jah871
08-18-2001, 11:27 PM
Shartly, I was thinking about the voting for the contest. I'm not sure if someone adressed this already but i think the members voting should have at least 25 posts or somthing in that nature because some people may want to win this contest so bad they could register a lot of new names to vote for there own entry.

shartley
08-19-2001, 06:28 AM
All Voting issues will be determined by Staff. I have said this before. But thank you for your concern.

I think it would be pretty obvious if something like what you described happened. And the appropriate steps would be taken.

Thanks.

------------------

shartley
08-19-2001, 07:59 PM
Back up top.

------------------

Peanut The Paintballer
08-19-2001, 08:12 PM
ok shart, ive got my design all on one image, 300 dpi, flattened. thats exactly what i email to Tom right?

shartley
08-19-2001, 08:16 PM
Yes, send it to the e-mail address on the Official Rules Thread.

Good luck. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

polorboy
08-19-2001, 10:12 PM
I just realized that I screwed up when I made my design (I didn't leave a space for the bar code) and I sent it to the e-mail address listed on the rules thread. Can I re-submit what I made with a few changes on it?

polorboy
08-19-2001, 10:15 PM
Just in case anyone doesn't know this is the e-mail address it says to send them to on the rules thread: contest@airgun.com. This is the address I sent what I made to.

shartley
08-19-2001, 11:34 PM
up please

------------------

shartley
08-20-2001, 06:07 AM
polorboy:

Yes, you can resubmit it as another entry.

(((NOTE TO ALL: Format change for images. Tom will only accept JPG and TIFF images. I am also putting this on the Official Rules Thread. This may cause a slight bump for some of you, but should not be a major issue. Thanks.))

------------------

shartley
08-20-2001, 05:19 PM
move back to the top please

MajorDamage
08-20-2001, 08:43 PM
Hey, the barcode should be on the back, right? Thanx.

ENDO!

------------------

automagseeker
08-20-2001, 08:46 PM
hey shartley does Tom want us to use the phots he gave us or can u use the other pics of the intelliframe on that gun, its in the prototype section, could we use it?

MajorDamage
08-20-2001, 09:50 PM
Hey, when I put the three pictures together, do I put the front one upside down?

ENDO!

------------------

MajorDamage
08-20-2001, 09:51 PM
Oh, and the frame has Dye sticky grips, not Dye econo grips right? And it works for the RT Pro also, right? Thanx.

ENDO!

------------------

shartley
08-21-2001, 06:45 AM
MajorDamage:
Yes, the barcode box goes on the back. Lower right or left corner. What ever works best for your design.

Yes, depending on how you put the 3 panels together, the FRONT one will be upside down compared to the rest. So we will either see the BACK and SIDE correctly, and the FRONT upside down, or the other way around. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Yes.. sticky grips.

And what it works with is a Tech Question. I refer you to the Tech Forum for that answer. I do not want to give out wrong information.

automagseeker:
You may use ANY photos of the product you want. Tom only provided some extras because they were asked for.

Thanks.

------------------

User
08-21-2001, 08:29 AM
oops..forgot to consider the packaging and didn't reverse any sides... http://www.automags.org/ubb/redface.gif Do I need to correct this and re-submit the entry?

StevoC
08-21-2001, 08:30 AM
If we submitted in GIF format prior to the announcement of the JPG or TIF format, should we re-submit?

shartley
08-21-2001, 08:40 AM
User:
Yes.

StevoC:
For the sake of continuity, yes, please resubmit it in JPG or TIFF format.

For clarification... As with other rules that changed mid-way in the contest, those following the rules at the time they WERE rules are NOT disqualified. I am only asking for the re-submission to make Tom's job easier.

Thanks.

------------------

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-21-2001).]

MajorDamage
08-21-2001, 02:43 PM
Thanx alot Shartley!

ENDO!

------------------

shartley
08-21-2001, 04:21 PM
No problem. That's what I am here for. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

(And to bump this back up.. LOL)

------------------

shartley
08-21-2001, 07:14 PM
Getting lost again.

^
|
|
|
UP

------------------

shartley
08-22-2001, 09:43 AM
Git UP!

------------------

automagseeker
08-22-2001, 10:29 AM
up http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

squall
08-22-2001, 02:48 PM
Shartley, do you get an email confirmation that your submission was received after you email it?

shartley
08-22-2001, 03:05 PM
Since I am not the one receiving the submissions, I can't say for certain. I would think not though.

I think Tom was only notifying people if what they sent was not correct. Tom is not using AOL for his e-mail account, so if you don't get a notification that your mail was not delivered, it is safe to say that it WAS. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

But I think Tom should clarify this one.

Thanks

(For those who don't know.. AOL is not reliable for e-mail. E-Mail entering their servers is routinely BLOCKED but the sender will receive NO notification of this. I may post an article I wrote on it in the Friendly Corner if people like.)

------------------

krafty
08-22-2001, 03:10 PM
Shartley, I did NOT get a confirmation when I emailed my entry in... And I don't exactly know how to take that. http://www.automags.org/ubb/confused.gif At least it didn't bounce, so I know it got there.

krafty

shartley
08-22-2001, 08:04 PM
Yes... you are correct. No bounce, it made it. LOL

Oh.. and UP! http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif

TWO MORE DAYS!!!!!

------------------

polorboy
08-22-2001, 10:52 PM
I keep seeing changes to the rules. Do I need to have a check box for the different types of triggers, and if so what types are going to be offered? Also do I need to have a picture of the trigger in the packaging somehow or does it not matter. Also, does it matter if the pannels are not square (i.e oval)? If you don't understand I can send you one of the ones I have already submitted and you can let me know if I am doing this right. Thanks.

shartley
08-23-2001, 06:25 AM
polorboy:

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I keep seeing changes to the rules.</font>
That is because "clarifications" have been added. And some rules were added because originally we felt some flexibility would be a good thing. However, we soon saw that people just did not "get" it. The skill and knowledge levels of the contestants were SO varying, that we had to modify the rules so the less knowledgeable would not be left behind.

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Do I need to have a check box for the different types of triggers, and if so what types are going to be offered? </font>
Nowhere in the official rules does it state you MUST have a check box. Is was a recommendation (a strong one, yes, but not an official rule).

And what types will be offered has already been answered. As stated earlier, not reading what was already written is insulting.

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Also do I need to have a picture of the trigger in the packaging somehow or does it not matter. </font>
Again, it was never in the rules. It was a suggestion, and many people asked for better pictures that they could use... so Tom provided them.

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Also, does it matter if the pannels are not square (i.e oval)?</font>
Yes it matters! If you can show me some software that allows you to produce a graphic image that is not matted in a square (or rectangle) format, I would be most delighted to see it.

Now, if you mean the design ON the panels being oval, sure, that is fine. You can make the "design" any shape you want, as long as it fits within the exact panel dimensions provided in the official rules. The actual printing will be done on the exact dimensions as stated, and NO cutting of the insert will be done (aside from standard trimming). It will only be bent.

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If you don't understand I can send you one of the ones I have already submitted and you can let me know if I am doing this right.</font>

Look guys, this is NOT about pre approving your entries. It is also not if WE understand what YOU are doing... it is about if YOU understand OUR rules and requirements. The contest has been running for 2 weeks. Most questions were answered in the FIRST week. Please read all the posts. Every one of your questions was already answered (minus the oval one... but you could have answered that one yourself with a little thinking.).

Most other contest would have just said "Go look at the rules"... and if you still did not get it, so be it. I have not taken that approach with this contest so that as many of you could enter as possible. I hope you understand that.

Once again, I will BEG of you all... PLEASE READ THE RULES AND THE Q&A THREADS. I do help answer questions, but this was not designed to be a hand holding event.

TWO MORE DAYS!

Thanks

------------------

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-23-2001).]

automagseeker
08-23-2001, 12:12 PM
Hey shartley, if i am correct, do the designs have to be into that address by 12:00 tonight? Thanks

krafty
08-23-2001, 12:43 PM
OK, I've actually got a semi-coherent question: My entry was submitted last week when the rules stated something to the effect of "standard formats (.jpg .tiff etc.)". I submitted a .psd file, considering it a standard format, especially since Tom stated that they had Photoshop.

Now, I see the rule has been changed to ONLY .JPG and .TIFF files...

Should I resubmit my entry as a .JPG? I just don't want to risk being DQ'd, since I did use 3 hours of my valuable time to work on my entry. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

krafty

shartley
08-23-2001, 12:52 PM
automagseeker:

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Contest Dates: 13AUG01 – 24AUG01</font>

Generally when given a date with no time, it means 12 midnight the evening of the final day. We are dealing with various time zones (world wide on this one), so that will be taken into consideration. You were a day off on your guess. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif Friday midnight, not Thursday.

krafty:

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Taken from a few posts up...
StevoC:
For the sake of continuity, yes, please resubmit it in JPG or TIFF format.

For clarification... As with other rules that changed mid-way in the contest, those following the rules at the time they WERE rules are NOT disqualified. I am only asking for the re-submission to make Tom's job easier.

Thanks.
</font>

I hope this helps. And puts your mind at ease. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks

------------------

automagseeker
08-23-2001, 05:39 PM
Thans once again shartley, I will take that extra time , I live in easternt time, I live in Virginia, so can I turn mine in on Friday of my time? just double checkin Thanks

shartley
08-23-2001, 05:42 PM
No problem. Yes, Friday midnight your time. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

And good luck!

------------------

automagseeker
08-23-2001, 06:16 PM
Thanks http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

MajorDamage
08-23-2001, 07:26 PM
Just got mine sent in today. Everyone vote for mine, cuz I want a RT Pro, Warp, and Intelliframe! Hehe. With a lil help from my buddy Jared I finally figured out how to change it to 300 dpi, and get it looking pretty good for a .jpg. Too bad it wasnt a .gif...

ENDO!

------------------

Next-Gen
08-23-2001, 09:34 PM
lol I wouldn't wanna use gif for something like this.

krafty
08-23-2001, 11:30 PM
Wait..... what? Read the rules? What rules? I'm confused... There are rules? Where are the rules?

http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif Just messin' with ya. Yes, I'm that bored.

krafty

MajorDamage
08-24-2001, 05:41 AM
A .gif would look clearer. Altho I see why we are using .jpg, because most email accounts dont let u send files over about a meg and a quarter, and .gifs are big. But it would just look a little nicer. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

ENDO!

------------------

shartley
08-24-2001, 06:36 AM
Please do not discuss this type of thing on this thread.. thank you.

There were reasons for what was done. And it was NOT really an issue of accepting what would be the optimal file format for this type of use. Also it looks as if some people need to do some basic research into Graphic File formats and why and what they are used for. Don't confuse Web use for Print use.

Thank you.

------------------

cphilip
08-24-2001, 08:52 AM
From shartley:

Okay, I am now making a command decision.
I think Tom is very busy getting ready for an event. I have e-mailed him personally about this issue, and he has not even answered ME... so I will make the determination.

NO. You will NOT receive official notification that your entries were received.

Judging from the amounts already received, and that I don't think anyone received notification aside from when they sent entries that were not correct, I will say that no one will receive a conformation e-mail.

I think this puts an end to that question, unless Tom gets online and says differently. He chose me to run the contest, so there you have it.

I hope this helps.

shartley

pot35tom
08-24-2001, 10:53 AM
hey shartly,

hey, when you guys first started this contest I started right away, useing the info that u gave us, now I look at FRAME PACKAGE RULES , and it seems ever time I get on its changed. At one point you guys said 72dpi so I made my design 72, but i guess it doesnt matter now, so i have to start my whole thing over............ http://www.automags.org/ubb/frown.gif http://www.automags.org/ubb/frown.gif http://www.automags.org/ubb/frown.gif , o well, its not your fault so I dont blame u

pot35tom

shartley
08-24-2001, 12:13 PM
No problem.

I am sure you also read my post following that one (for those of you wanting to see all this, it is on the 9th and 10th posts in this thread).

I am glad this is cleared up. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

shartley
08-24-2001, 05:19 PM
UP! Last day!

Good luck everyone!

------------------

Thordic
08-24-2001, 05:41 PM
Due to a hard drive crash yesterday, my submission is gone with the wind, which sucks, but good luck to everyone who did submit a design, good luck. You might need it against Jeff (Riotz)'s design.. hehe.

------------------
CamoSplashed MiniMag
S/N MM12913
Clear AGD Warp Feed
14" SP AA

Lots of stuff coming...

Peanut The Paintballer
08-24-2001, 08:39 PM
Shartley, just bringing your long lost thread up the top.

Im out for the night. Good luck to all who entered.

shartley
08-24-2001, 11:10 PM
Thank you for not blaming me. But there is no one to blame here... well maybe there is.

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">At one point you guys said 72dpi so I made my design 72</font>

This is simply not true. Neither Tom nor myself EVER said that the design should be done at 72 DPI. It has ALWAYS been said to "design" it AT 300 DPI minimum.

And as for every time you look it changes....

There has only been a few changes to the rules, and they involved submission e-mail address, file types that will be accepted, the fact that you can send multiple entries in a ZIP file, and what needs to be sent WITH your entry.

All other additions were clarifications and NOT changes. But never has the 300 DPI requirement been anything other than that. Sorry, I think you must have confused what someone else stated. I would appreciate it if you could show me where either Tom or myself have said to design it at 72 DPI.

What WAS said (by individuals NOT running the contest) is that the images should be submitted as a 72 DPI image since that is what it will have to be reduced to for Web Viewing anyway. This was a good idea, but would lead to confusions as to what it should be designed as.... just like what happened with your case. So Tom made the decision to not even go that route, and keep everything that the contestants do, at 300.

I stated in NO uncertain terms that the image WILL be designed at 300 DPI, and submitted as a 300 DPI image.

Thank you. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

pot35tom
08-24-2001, 11:55 PM
okay, i found where i got confused, sry for your inconvenence.
<hr>
[b]Ok I am a bit confused. Will the final design be PRINTED in 300dpi or 72dpi. I dont know if its my printer but when i print in 72dpi some parts are blurry even though its huge text. Let me know Shartley. O and you have "Off Topic" email. Thanks again. [b]
<hr>

pot35tom
08-26-2001, 07:22 PM
hey, when will u say who won???

shartley
08-26-2001, 07:28 PM
Hey, after everyone votes! http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif

The pictures have to be gathered, processed, assigned numbers, put in a gallery, THEN voted on, and finally the votes counted.

Please be patient. Tom will let you all know when the Gallery is ready. It takes time, and not just a day.... LOL

Thanks.

------------------

Peanut The Paintballer
08-26-2001, 07:48 PM
woohoo im the 200th reply in this topic!

an unneeded up!

polorboy
08-27-2001, 01:40 PM
I hope that it is ok that I ask one more question about the contest. I was wondering if the winner will be able to to ask for the type of body for the RT Pro that they want and also what color Warp they want. If this has already been asked I did not find it. Thanks.

shartley
08-27-2001, 01:47 PM
Being that the contest is still going on, sure.. asking is not a problem.

The exact details you are asking about will be answered to the winner. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif No need in worrying about things that may not even apply. But judging from the last contest, yes, the winner does get choices for certain things. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

I hope you understand my meaning. It is like putting the cart in front of the horse, and really has no bearing on the contest in general. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-27-2001).]

polorboy
08-27-2001, 01:58 PM
thanks, that is all I wanted to know. Now I just cross my fingers and pray http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif.

pot35tom
08-29-2001, 01:58 PM
when can I send the design again?
thx again

pot35tom@hotmail.com

shartley
08-29-2001, 02:22 PM
Send it NOW.

Thank you.

------------------

shartley
08-29-2001, 08:15 PM
up

shartley
08-30-2001, 03:56 PM
NOTE: There is NO Timeline update!

This is because there was NEVER a timeline for the second phase of the Contest to begin with.

I have always stated this: When Tom gets the Gallery ready, you will all be notified, and given Voting instructions. YOU will be NOTIFIED! One more time.. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED. So please do not ask again.

And the ONLY people who can answer your questions about the contest is Tom or Myself.

Now, I will address some issues that I feel are a slap in the face and need correcting....

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Posted by PsychoMag:
The nimbleminded shartley...so we meet...the problem is that with the chaos thanks to oour friend woody, the forum will be shut down on monday...I was curious as to if this thing will be underway soon, or wait til next year...I mean, due to technical difficulties, it has already been postponed once...whats next?

As far as Webby goes...without him u have no site to reside on...he is who needs to work on it, he is the one who will be shutting the forum down...he will bring it back up when it is ready...of course, no offense to u, but I did not see a revised timeline due to ALL the problems encountered. Next time I will add Shartley...

I understand that it could be up as soon as tuesday...but that is not reassuring with the last few days' incidents, and until this contest is over, I will not order my frame because I am not paying $135 for it.

with all due respect...</font>

First off, Tom ASKED me to run this contest for him, if you have a problem with that, take it up with TOM! I did not insult Webby by saying he can't answer any questions... because HE CAN'T. He is Webmaster for this site, yes, but is NOT running the contest.

Webby also does not provide ME a place to RESIDE.. it is TOM'S site, not Webby's. This also is not an insult to Webby, since he knows this already... YOU just don't seem to get it.

Tom is the BOSS, and Webby and I are "working" FOR Tom, not the other way around. And both Webby and I have different "jobs".. he "masters" the site, and I am running the contest.

And like I stated at the beginning of this post, there was no "revision" of the second phase timeline because there was NO NEED TO.

What you posted was a direct insult. And I will NOT take it. "with all due respect..."? What respect was shown? You first of all do not post in the correct Thread.. then ask the WRONG person... then when I point it out, you insult ME? I didn't point it out to be an jerk. I pointed it out because it was the TRUTH.

So much for expecting just a bit of consideration... I don't even expect thanks, but not being insulted would be nice.

------------------

Riotz
08-30-2001, 04:25 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
I have always stated this: When Tom gets the Gallery ready, you will all be notified, and given Voting instructions. YOU will be NOTIFIED! One more time.. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED. So please do not ask again.
</font>

When will we be notified?

haha, I'm just joking. Had to do it. =]

------------------
Regards,
Jeffrey Bouquio Jr.

MajorDamage
08-30-2001, 04:33 PM
Once again, thanx Shartley. I kno this prolly wasnt worth the warpfeed by trying to be our oncall question answering machiene for a few weeks. Thanx again man. You did a great job. Hopefully the questions can stop now because there really isnt any need for anymore unless im overlooking something. Keep up the good work.

ENDO!

------------------

shartley
08-30-2001, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys. But now I have to shoot you all! http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif Prepare to be bunkered!!!!

And... Guess what? I was not only the Q&A Guy... but I was the one who actually MADE the RULES. Tom and I discussed his needs and what he wanted out of the contest, and then he left it up to me to get the job done.

This is called "delegating authority" and a good leader knows how to do that. He was still the BIG BOSS, and some things had to be referred back to him for his approval since he would be directly handling that aspect of the contest. But it allowed him to not have to worry that things were being done right, and questions were being answered. This was by HIS design. Smart guy isn't he? LOL

I hope this clears up any misconceptions people may have. I am not trying to be "big man on campus", that is Tom's position. But I think some people failed to realize my actual role in this thing.

------------------

dandy
08-30-2001, 09:28 PM
Maybe Tom just wants to spend the holiday weekend with his family. After building a product and a company, surely he is entitled to a long weekend for a barbecue once in a while.

pot35tom
09-01-2001, 10:26 AM
yeah, and dont push AGD to hurry up and get the gallery up, i mean, it doesnt take 1 day to make a huge webpage full of all of our designs, and its not only the design.. here try this: Right Click anywhere on the page -then- goto View Source.. now, AGD has to write out all that, and more because its gonna be a big page, so dont push them, ANYONE!, or i shall lay the smaketh down on all of u, jk :lol

shartley
09-01-2001, 10:29 AM
pot35tom:
LOL Too funny! You sounded just like my Son. http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">so dont push them, ANYONE!, or i shall lay the smaketh down on all of u, jk :lol </font>

------------------
http://www.gbsu-usa.net/boss/shartley.gif

pot35tom
09-01-2001, 10:31 AM
http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif