PDA

View Full Version : Physics project help

limitdliability
12-19-2002, 05:17 PM
hi,
i am doing a physics project for my senior year of high school and would like some assistance with something. i would like to attempt to examine the extreme acceleration that the ball undergoes while still in the barrel. but im unsure of an adequate way to do this? did AGD perform a test like this? if so, is there anyway i can simplify their setup? i want a setup to measure the time between the ball begininning to accelerate and when it leaves the barrel. and then i could use a chrono to find the velocity. does that sound right, or am i missing something? I was thinking about using some sort or IR sensor set up, but due to my lack of electronics skills, i dont know how to make something to measure such a small amount of time. would it be accurate enough to begin timing the firing sequence when the trigger is pulled, or could the small amount of time between the trigger pull and the actual firing of the ball throw of the results? do any of you have any ideas? if you have parts lists or some sort of drawing or schematics, im sure i can find enough local help to get it done.
thank you for your help!

p.s. i would like to do this with my Angel LED, without any permanent modifications(drilling, tapping, cutting, milling, etc) of any kind. if you think a proper set up would require permanent modifications to the marker, i would be able to use a Tippmann 98C.

Redkey
12-19-2002, 07:55 PM
AGD/Tom has posted some plots showing the chamber pressure vs time profile for several markers. Using that information you should be able to determine the acceleration time of a ball. I'm pretty sure these issues have already been discussed here in deep blue.

If you really wanted to measure the acceleration you would have put a series of optical sensors down the length of the barrel. Then, as the ball accelerated down the barrel it would trip each sensor in sequence giving you a time value for each sensor. Knowing the distance between each sensor and the time each sensor was trip will allow you to calculate/plot the balls velocity as it travels down the barrel.

If we assume the ball is travelling at 300 ft/sec that means the ball moves about 4 inches per millisecond. You'll have to have some system for making the time measurements that is at least that fast... preferrably 10 times faster for good resolution and discrimination. If you have access to a storage oscilloscope that would be the simplest way to make the measurements. Other methods would be to use a A/D card or a sound card. I mention sound card last because I'm not sure on the electronics needed to condition the input signal. A decent sound card should be able to collect data at 44 KHz which is more than enough for these measurements.

If you are interested I could continue on and explain how I would build this system. There are others here with much more experience in electronics who would be able to help with the required circuits. The only modifications needed would be to drill a series of thru-holes down the length of a barrel.

I've been meaning to try this out... I just haven't had the time.

12-19-2002, 10:12 PM
here is the easy way

buy a really cheap stock barrel

measure velocity

cut off 1/2 inch of barrel or whatever length fits your fancy, chrono, and repeat.

Redkey
12-20-2002, 12:15 PM
hahaha... sorry, just kidding.

Actually it might be a pretty good way to do it, not to mention several orders of magnitude simpler, just make sure that you collect at least 10 datapoints at each barrel length. Another thing to consider is making sure the distance between the muzzle and chrono stays constant as the barrel gets shorter.

The reason I like the instrumented barrel is that it eliminates any measurement errors associated with an off the shelf chronograph. But, then again, I am an engineering geek.

limitdliability
12-20-2002, 06:01 PM
well, im currently corresponding with Redkey and learning of his ideas to perform this experiment, but im still very open to any input or additional ideas anyone can input. the more help i have, the better the experiment will be.
thanks guys