PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Help

PyRo
12-21-2002, 08:49 AM
I'm looking at digital camera's, I don't have too much money to spend. Maybie $200 or so. I know its not much, but i'm really just going to use it to take pictures of some stuff to put on ebay, so memory and batteries and such arn't much of a problem. My only concern is how good a 1 or 2 megapixel camera is. Does anyone have some pictures taken at 1 or two that they could post up to give me an idea. Thanks.

RamboPreacher
12-21-2002, 10:25 AM
at one mega pixel you may be dissapointed, thought the cost is lower. It really depends on what you want to do with the images. If you plan to print or have them (some) printed, then you will want at least a 2mp.

I tell my friends and family that a 2.1 (or so) mp camera is probably all they need for taking "snap-shots" and using it as a "point-and-click" camera.

I have not had much good luch with ebay (especially this time of year). you might want to check the electronics/computer stores around. You might be surprised what you can buy, new for that same $200.

You just have to keep the following in mind when buying a consumer grade digital camera:
1. budget
2. will I be printing or sending picturs accross the internet (printing requires higher resolution for better quality, internet/computer viewing requires substantially lower resolution, a monitor is roughly 72dpi, if you need something to compare)
3. how often will I use it. you may or may not need extra memory. some cameras don't even have removeable memory at the lower prices. if, on the other hand, you think you will be takeing alot of pictures and you will be keeping them, you don't want to run out of space and you may need to get a less expensive camera so you can have moeny to buy another memory card - OR get the better camera and save for more memory cards.

hope that helps.

irbodden
12-21-2002, 03:26 PM
A-40 hands down. Its around $250 but very sweet :)

dave_p
12-21-2002, 09:40 PM
this file is 127k medium quality, medium resolution
http://m-net.arbornet.org/~lorax/dolphin.jpg

BlackVCG
12-21-2002, 10:08 PM
I'm sure you could find one in a dumpster somewhere. :)

I'd look at Kodak. Their cameras are easy to use, take good pictures and affordable. I got a Kodak DX3600 for $200 and it takes video too.

PyRo
12-22-2002, 11:59 PM
Well, I could probably find one in a dumpster. I don't think that I can fix cameras like I can engines. :) Thanks.

Collegeboy
12-23-2002, 08:24 AM
These might be in your price range.

http://eshop.msn.com/search/results.aspx?searchText=&searchType=3&pcId=186&price=10%2c299&title=Digital+Cameras+under+%24300&sort=price

Restola
12-23-2002, 10:10 AM
I would get Kodak also. I have the 4900 and I like it a lot. 4mp, but it was $399. I would have to say that 9 times out of 10 I dont need anything above 2mp. You'll be fine in the $200 price range with a 2mp or so camera.

shartley
12-23-2002, 10:13 AM
You may also want to look at Olympus as well. Very nice cameras.

PyRo
12-25-2002, 05:47 PM
Yeah basically all i want to do is take pictures of some a bunch of extra car parts i have laying around the basement, garage, back of my car, and my room.