PDA

View Full Version : NEW TOY! Well....new to me.....and not really a toy per se...

ShooterJM
12-23-2002, 11:52 AM
Hey! Going to go pick up a '92 accord today! Another mode of transportation, but more importantly FUN! Good news, only 32K miles. Bad news.....it's an automatic.

So time for upgrades! Stereo is primary. But performance wise.

Cold air induction, exhauset, piggyback ROM, new spark plug wires, lighter weight oil.

I'm figuring that should get me about 40-70 hp for about $300. Any other ideas? I'd rather not get into changing camshafts and pulley kits yet. No turbo's yet either. :cool:

Hit me with what ya got! I don't want looks, just power.

Army
12-23-2002, 12:38 PM
Lots of STP, Jegs, and stereo company stickers for that "real fast" look:)

ShooterJM
12-23-2002, 01:00 PM
heheh not so much.... Just want a bit more punch then an automatic 4 banger can provide stock.

I raced honda's for 4 years and never slapped a "go fast" sticker on my car! ;)

Archangel Damien
12-23-2002, 01:47 PM
if you want to go fast buy a real car not one of those rice rockets:D

SpongeBobSquarePants
12-23-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Archangel Damien
if you want to go fast buy a real car not one of those rice rockets:D

Aint that the truth , but if u have to have a import slap some nos on that bad boy it will make u go fast, me ill take 454 witha blower:D

ShooterJM
12-23-2002, 03:13 PM
Hehehe If I wanted to go fast I'd build off a stretched 911 frame. Quattro AWD, tweaked W8 engine. :D 200+ mph Easy.

But I don't need to break 130, I'm just looking to overcome the power lost in an automatic, and get a bit more power driving in the mountains. :D

Archangel Damien
12-23-2002, 03:24 PM
you can pick up manuals for those things for like $500 can`t you and the conversion from auto to manual should not be that hard

GreasyPigeon
12-23-2002, 03:32 PM
it is harder cause you need to buy a clutch and a new tranny, and some tranny cross members and some other stuff and you have to do some cutting in the floor bords and you would have to do some welding and some drive train work cause your drive shaft will be shorter cause of the length of the cluth. and it would be easer if you wanted to change from auto to manual is to go down to the junk yard and buy a parts car. and you can get one for about $100 to $700.

ShooterJM
12-23-2002, 03:35 PM
Yeah, kinda want to keep an automatic though. No shifting means one arm free and that means it's a good date car. ;) Bit better then showing up in an SUV. Quieter, nicer ride, more comfy etc.

Good suggestion though. Don't know how much it would be....I'd have to buy a bunch of tools again too.

Archangel Damien
12-23-2002, 03:36 PM
yes and that is easyer than spending a grand on little dodads and gadgets to get that speed back. as for the welding and such not that is not that hard we did it in auto shop in highschool

ShooterJM
12-23-2002, 03:38 PM
<========== Never went to auto shop and doesn't know how to weld.

:( Thinking about taking classes though.

Archangel Damien
12-23-2002, 03:44 PM
welding is easy to learn i still have not played with a plasma cutter thought and i really want to:D

GreasyPigeon
12-23-2002, 03:58 PM
welding is some of the easiest work to do on a car. you guys should of seen the welging work i did in my truck. took me two days to put in new floor bords and to put in new mount brackets. i really wank to use a plasma cutter for when i make a baja truck ( prerunner) and it sucks cause at most high schools where i live there is no autoshop :( and so people like me have to learn someone or go to a auto school.

Archangel Damien
12-23-2002, 04:02 PM
i have seen a plasma cutter go and man it would be sweet to own one they stuff you could do with one.

Gotenks
12-23-2002, 04:10 PM
good luck with your car, those 90-93 accords have always been my favorite accord when it comes to looks. Nice and bold, and not all round and organic like most newer cars.

I don't know about getting 40-70 horsepower out of Cold air induction, exhauset, piggyback ROM, new spark plug wires, lighter weight oil.

I'm selling the integra, was thinking about a acura vigor, but decided... I'm gonna get one of these :D

http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/likwidplastik/civic_side.JPG

a black 5th gen civic coupe. Gonna build up the d16z6 and hopefully be able to buy a apex'i AX turbo kit. Going to custom fabricate a intercooler from a humungous ford powerstroke diesel intercooler :)

Gotenks
12-23-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by GreasyPigeon
welding is some of the easiest work to do on a car. you guys should of seen the welging work i did in my truck. took me two days to put in new floor bords and to put in new mount brackets. i really wank to use a plasma cutter for when i make a baja truck ( prerunner) and it sucks cause at most high schools where i live there is no autoshop :( and so people like me have to learn someone or go to a auto school.

GreasyPidgeon - we have a autoshop down here at Santa Rita...

You really think they are going to put a autoshop in that rich-kid school of yours? ;) but hey don't worry, our autoshop blows anyways, so you have no loss :o

ShooterJM
12-23-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Gotenks
good luck with your car, those 90-93 accords have always been my favorite accord when it comes to looks. Nice and bold, and not all round and organic like most newer cars.

I don't know about getting 40-70 horsepower out of Cold air induction, exhauset, piggyback ROM, new spark plug wires, lighter weight oil.

Yeah it's kinda an estimate.

I figure:

10 hp Exhaust
15 hp Cold air
10 hp Rom
5 hp Oil

Redo the plugs and wires should give me something. Don't know. A bit out of practice, haven't done anything to a honda in like 5 years.

EDIT: Gotenks, know anyone that makes a good torque converter? Or fluid coolers?

warpfeedmod
12-23-2002, 04:28 PM
'grats on the car.. Just don't make it look anything like this:

(I know it's not an accord, but the similar can be done to the accords :P )

http://www.riceboypage.com/shame/hall_of_shame_10/pink_civic.jpg

My idea is function over form, meaning if you can put money into upgrades/enhancements over looks, you'll do fine :p

I'd take a good ol american big block engine over a ricer any day, but hey, if you can make it a sleeper and not add stickers/body kits all over that's the way to go.

ShooterJM
12-23-2002, 04:31 PM
Yeah, like I said, this is just for driving. Not racing at all. The only stickers I have is are calvin ones. One angel and one devil. The only thing I think I'm gonna do looks wise is get the windows tinted and shave the antenna (maybe doors too).

Gotenks
12-23-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by ShooterJM

Yeah it's kinda an estimate.

I figure:

10 hp Exhaust
15 hp Cold air
10 hp Rom
5 hp Oil

Redo the plugs and wires should give me something. Don't know. A bit out of practice, haven't done anything to a honda in like 5 years.

EDIT: Gotenks, know anyone that makes a good torque converter? Or fluid coolers?

I would say about 2-4 horsepower from exhaust, same with intake, depends on rom, and oil... dunno about that? The real power will come in with higher compression, better valvetrain work, better air flow, or forced induction :D I am going to take the turbo route, VRRRING *pshhh VRRRIING *psshh...... ahh the beauty of it.

Don't know of many aftermarket torque converter people... but for fluid cooling, PWR IS THE BEST. best radiators, tranny coolers, oil coolers, intercoolers, you name it.

http://www.pwr.com.au

They are very good engineers. There intercoolers are so well designed, that SPEARCO bought a huge shipment of their intercooler cores and welded there endtanks on them. go spearco :rolleyes: hehe

AutoMaggot
12-23-2002, 04:38 PM
Just throw a HUGE "Powered By MUGEN" decal over the hood or windshield... and a resonator tip on the tail pipe... you'll be good to go.

Hehe. Peronally, if I wanted to spend $300 and make a Civic a little better, I would just lower it a bit and get an intake... you'll get the nice growl from the engine, a lower stance, and no annoying fart-pipe sound. :)

ShooterJM
12-23-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Gotenks

I would say about 2-4 horsepower from exhaust, same with intake, depends on rom, and oil... dunno about that? The real power will come in with higher compression, better valvetrain work, better air flow, or forced induction :D

Yeah, airflow work would be good.

Ya, if you need quick HP the best way is to drop for a 10W-30 to a 5W or 0W. You can pick up a good 3-5hp per 5W drop. Get the really good synthetic though.

I'll check out that pwr!

Archangel Damien
12-23-2002, 05:34 PM
shooter you should get a car like mine:D

zads27
12-24-2002, 04:57 AM
Well to start with, the base for my opinions.
My very own 1992 Black Honda Accord EX, 4 speed (automatic).

Got it used at about 60k(?) miles a couple years back. Today it has 120k+ miles on it, still running strong.

First off:
Great car of choice, it had served me very well for the time period which I had it for.

Modifications:
At about 1 year of age (with me), circa ~1997, I got a performance cone intake filter for it (free), as well as a kit of -2.75 inch neuspeed lowering springs (very very good deal).
Clarion deck, 2- 10" in the rear, infinity speakers all around.

My experience:
In the 3+ years I drove it, I tended to drive it pretty hard, usually opening the throttle up to 4k though 1st and 2nd. It pulls pretty well off idle, though it leaves a good amount to be desired elsewhere.
Realistically, the accord intake won't do all that much. I left it without exhaust and such, simply because I felt the exhaust would have added only about 2 horsepower. I wasn't looking to squeeze the last bit of power out of the engine, I just wanted something that would sound (and maybe feel) sporty when I mashed the gas, but still be able to be calm and civil as a daily driver.
Cold air induction? You know our accords already come with it stock, right? ;)
Did I race it? Yes, though just messing around with friends.

Problems:
There were some complaints of harsh auto-trannies, but even after abusing mine for countless miles on end, mine still shifts pretty smoothly.
I broke my antenna while working on my stereo system once, with the head unit on and opening the trunk quickly, the spoiler can catch the antenna and yank it.

Enough of that, hope this helps.

ShooterJM
12-24-2002, 08:15 AM
AD: What kinda car do you have?

Zads: Yeah they're great cars. Like I said I raced em for years. Had an '88 Automatic and a '89 Manual. I'm really thinking the torque converter would be best. If I could raise the stall speed a bit it should give me significant gains. Actually, it should help with fuel use too.

Forced induction would be nice, but have ZERO experiance with superchargers, turbochargers, or Nitro systems. And quite frankly, that sounds like quite a bit of money. I mean, if I bought that how could I afford the ceiling mounted 14" TV and DVD player I want! ;)

Archangel Damien
12-24-2002, 08:53 AM
shooter i have a 1980 Cheverolet Camero it only has a 305 but i can break 200 easyly

GreasyPigeon
12-24-2002, 09:58 AM
if you have an automatic you still can change the shift points, with a chip. i help install one in my friends 93 civic. the tranny chips came with some engine chips, to bost his are fuel mixture, can you can fell teh car change from first to second alot sooner and third and the change from third to fourth grear tends to take a little longer.

Gotenks there used to be an auto shop here but it was change to the weight room for the danm jocks and muscle heads. and did you ever get your car yet????

rhetor22
12-24-2002, 02:46 PM
The stock intake is sucking in colder air than one of those "cold air induction" kits would. Just get a K&N replacement filter, although it probably won't do anything noticable for you.

Honestly, without spending a lot of money, its hard to get a lot of power out of these imported 4 cylinder engines. The manufacturers make them extremely efficient right off the showroom.

Don't rag on the auto tranny! Although it is a lot more fun to drive a stick, the autos are nice to have when you just aren't up to pushin in that clutch. (especially on the F-700 dump truck)

Accords are great cars though. My dad's girlfriend has a 99 (i think) with the six, and its a great car.

Good luck man, Hope you like it!

GreasyPigeon
12-24-2002, 07:08 PM
yeah i have a little v6 in my toyota.its cool cause with the tranny i have i can put it in first gear get it up to 40 the slap the my ger leavee and i am in second then hit it again and i am in drive. and its a automatic and i can go threw gears like its a stick. and with the over drive in the can i get better gas milageon the interstates. man in first gear that car can go. yes i have an import and even thow i am not a big fan of imports its a car and its gets me to places and no i am not going to turn it in to a ricer cause they are lame and cause i don't want it to sound like a lawnmower.

zads27
12-25-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by ShooterJM
AD: What kinda car do you have?

Zads: Yeah they're great cars. Like I said I raced em for years. Had an '88 Automatic and a '89 Manual. I'm really thinking the torque converter would be best. If I could raise the stall speed a bit it should give me significant gains. Actually, it should help with fuel use too.

Forced induction would be nice, but have ZERO experiance with superchargers, turbochargers, or Nitro systems. And quite frankly, that sounds like quite a bit of money. I mean, if I bought that how could I afford the ceiling mounted 14" TV and DVD player I want! ;)

A torque converter would give you some slight 1/4 mile gains, but is it really worth it to pull the engine and do all the work/money to drop 0.2 seconds on your 60' time? (in your daily driver, mind you)

Also, if you raise the stall speed of your torque converter, it will adversely affect your fuel mileage in city driving. (not quite sure if that's what you meant by 'help with fuel use')

If you want to learn about forced induction, I say you ask some shops to hang around their garage a bit or whatnot. As long as you don't constantly pester them, they should be glad to answer your questions even while wrenching on cars. (at least I would when I worked in a shop)

Oh, and a correction for your post:
Nitro system = paintball, industrial tools
NitrOUS system = racing, dentistry
Please, please, do NOT call it 'NAAAAWWWWWSSSSS'.

ShooterJM
12-25-2002, 06:13 PM
Well it'd give worse fuel consumption in city, but better on highway or anytime you're going a consistant speed. If I do end up getting one I'd probably only raise the idle from 500 rpm to about 1500-2000. I'll make my decision when I replace the timing belt, cheaper that way.

Hehehe yeah I know the difference, just didn't feel like typing nitrous out. Anyway, that and forced induction basically do the same thing by changing the compression right? Which is easiest on the engine?

Mossman
12-25-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Archangel Damien
shooter i have a 1980 Cheverolet Camero it only has a 305 but i can break 200 easyly

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

How did you guys miss that? LMFAO!!!!

Dude...ive got a 911 turbo in my garage and i can hardly break 185....

HAHAHA, i feel bad bad-mouthing you cuz the '80 camaro is a beast and a half and i'd kill for one (I think its the most realistic of all my dream camaros).

However, the fact that you can't spell the name of it and you're off by about 50mph on its top speed means you either dont own or know anything about the car or you need to be laughed at.

GreasyPigeon
12-26-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Mossman

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

How did you guys miss that? LMFAO!!!!

Dude...ive got a 911 turbo in my garage and i can hardly break 185....

HAHAHA, i feel bad bad-mouthing you cuz the '80 camaro is a beast and a half and i'd kill for one (I think its the most realistic of all my dream camaros).

However, the fact that you can't spell the name of it and you're off by about 50mph on its top speed means you either dont own or know anything about the car or you need to be laughed at.

hey calm down there turdo.....wait does this you have been shotdwon by mossman now thats gotta hurt....thats is kinda of funny cause 200 on a 305...you must know alot about engiens cause i have never seen or heard a 305 do that before. i have see 350 get close to 185 but not past it.

p.s. i didn't look at this page for awhile cause i would of said something.