PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't it be cool if...?

Brak
12-26-2002, 01:45 PM
Wouldnt it be cool(i know this isn'y deep blue language) if there was a paintball gun that had no bolt? I know about the epic, but a 9bps limit is kind of a bummer to most serious players, and with a 600-700 dollar price tag you gotta get a fast ROF. my idea is really simple.

If i could get funding (fat chance you corporate scumbags. no, not you AGD) it would use a normal sear tripping electro trigger frame, and instead of it moving a sear, i would take that who part out, and use that electronic signal to open a valve, and that would be the initial valve. the air would then go through an internal reg, and shoot the paintball. Now, that would be the intital concept, but in that, i would use an intellifeed-type concept to open a latch (think gated feed, but it doesnt let paintballs in) and let a ball in the chamber every time you fired. i would use a dual ball detent, and there would be a very, very tiny delay in between the time of ball release and the time of air release.

i know this is an improvement on the EPIC, and dont flame for "ripping off the EPIC" or, ill kill you. but seriously take a look, i know someone who has access to practically every tool you could imagine, and i think i can make this happen with enough work. But think, there would be minimal problems, minimal o-rings to replace, and with the internal reg (AGD, gotta give you credit) and an adjustable tank it would have incredible consitency because the ait wouldn't have anyhere to travel after released.

im also thinking maybe a dual valve with an internal reg with a valve behind it to give it air, then another valve holding air, and after that it would shoot the paintball, a better idea, but more complicated. ill get sketches up soon if you guys think its a good idea.

confedman75
12-26-2002, 05:20 PM
nice idea for a small compact gun. some parts i didnt understand, but still very good. try making a picture of it in paint and show us.

Vegeta
12-26-2002, 07:41 PM
ym... no.

Wont work for these reasons:

1. You are saying that a electronic valve will open and send air through a regulator to to chamber. There are no 'electronic valves' unless you imply a valve actuated by a solenoid. And after this valve is opened, it would not be smart ot send the air though a regulator and THEN to the ball. regulators are realling little pistons held by spings that constantly counter act the forcing air, making an equilibrium and then closing, opening, reapeating over and over. So you would not want the air to haev to go thorugh a reg before the painbtall. Why? To control velocity? You can do that with a reg before the valve. Putting one after hte valve would not do much of anything.

2. You want an intellifed type device to open a gate to let a paintball in the chamber. Intellifeed devices are activated by the trigger pull. So this gate will be starting to open when the trigger is pulled. Problem is, the valve will also open when the trigger is pulled. This would let out the rush of air and I can assure you that the air will move faster than your gate. Therefore before hte paintball even falls, the air will be expelled out and up the feed tube just blowing the balls around.

Unless you intend to put some sort of timer on the intellefeed where it waits a certain number of milliseconds AFTER teh valve has been opened so that the ball is otu the barrel and gone by the time the gate opens.

confedman75
12-26-2002, 09:27 PM
just have it intellifeed after each shot, you wont shoot a ball on your first shot but the rest will shoot.

Gotenks
12-26-2002, 11:58 PM
I have 2 crazy idea's for a gun... one of my ideas would be VERY compact. the balls would load from the rear, and it would REQUIRE force feeding(halo, warpfeed) andwho, there would need to be a ball detent, and a eye, and when it detected the ball is loaded, the walls, with little triangles, close in, so that it makes a cone behind the ball. at the base of the cone, on the bottom wall chamber, is a hole that comes from a valve.

ahhh shoot i gotta go...

Brak
12-27-2002, 12:16 AM
this is MY idea for a gun not yours!! but to clear it up by electronic valve i meant solenoid activated, and i would try to make a VERY small delay inbetween the loading and firing of the ball so it wouldnt cause a misfire, leading to blowing the balls up into your hopper (HALO or other force feed would work well with this)

Brak
12-27-2002, 10:15 PM
also, a lot of people are using CAD to show off som stuff, and i was wondering where can i download a CAD program and get a tutorial so i know what im doing? if i can show you guys my idea, those who are confused will be abe to see hat im talking about

Vegeta
12-27-2002, 11:35 PM
You don't need a CAD program to show us your ideas. Just goto Start, select Run, and type MSPAINT.

The only diffrence between a CAD program and paint is that cad programs are more sophisticated.

Brak
12-27-2002, 11:59 PM
here we go. i know its black and white, and i know it looks bad, and i know it might be confusing AND it's not in proportion, but it can give you guys a decent idea of what im talking about

confedman75
12-28-2002, 03:44 PM
wow thats mighty hard to see!

Brak
12-28-2002, 04:31 PM
i know, i know, but it was fine when it was a .bmp, but i had to make it a .gif to make it small enough to fit on the site. just look hard.

magnj
12-28-2002, 04:39 PM
hmmm, I would love to see a prototype.

flanders
12-29-2002, 04:30 AM
the new alien gun has like a 50bps cycling rate and it has a trap door that won't chop

very compact very cool very original

15 pages of info and evolution
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69037

Brak
12-31-2002, 07:33 PM
ive seen the alien and it is sweet, but i also just wanna see if this will work. does anyone know where i can get the basic parts? i went to clippard.com and their electronic valves say they can only handle 105 psi, and i think that mine will need lot more

i_baked_cookies
01-05-2003, 08:32 PM
i barely know anythin about this... but i thought the diablo matrix had no bolt (or was it no sear) well i dunno just thought id bring it up

a little idea... you can make a system operate entirely on pressure... an electronic trigger that actuates a thingy to let the pressure out kinda like a cork outta chapmagne bottle problem is that thered hafta be tons of o-rings and crap to seal and it mite be uncontrollable

like i said i know nuttn about this so if there is a gun already like this that i dunno of then o well just off the top of my head :confused:

Brak
01-07-2003, 09:14 PM
is there anyone with technical knowledge that can help me make this work? ive thought and the trap door would be too hard, now im thinking along the lines of 2 seperate operations, one with a bolt actuated by a ram, and the other using pressure to shoot the ball, but im pretty sure thats been done

Vegeta
01-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Brak,

There are many many people how have spent much time and money on this subject.

Take the Tinker's Guild for example. Many people there have technical knowledge on varying subjects of hte field from fluid mechanics to pnematic operations. Those guys along with many otehrs try and conjure up things every free moment they get, I know I do. What you are trying to do has already been thought of many, many times.If you, with no technical knowledge as you admit, think you have this 'idea' and can make it work, then there is no reason why those people who do have college degrees in some of the areas, havent thought of the idea and tried it already.

Basically what I am saying is leave it to the people who know what they are doing instead of trying to do it yourself.

Rex Carnage
02-05-2003, 02:29 PM
I tried to make a marker using a solenoid valve in the past. The marker worked but velocity was maxed at about 150 FPS. This is due to the flow (Cv rating) of the solenoid valve you use. (I was using a valve with a 120 PSI limit). Higher pressure will help, but now you run into problems with power consumption and finding a small enough valve with the pressure rating you desire (I haven't found it yet).
My other idea was to use a sliding air chamber which will be filled with a metered amount of pressurized air which is moved with a small solenoid (spring return). That may work, but I haven't tried it.

Brak
02-13-2003, 09:33 PM
thats what i was thinking (vegeta, if your going to be such a jerk about it, dont bother replying.), i looked in clippard's catalog, and i found lots of rames and electronic valves, but all of them had a 120psi operating limit. where do i get higher pressure stuff like that?

Redkey
02-14-2003, 02:26 PM
brak... The higher pressure stuff is out there you just have to look at more industrial level solenoids. However, they tend to be bigger than what will comfortably fit in a gun. Or if you want to go with much higher pressure you should look at hydraulic solenoids.

Vegeta... tsk tsk tsk... how many times have you seen something new and very cool, yet, very simple in design and thought... why didn't I think of that? Sometimes a new or different perspective on an old idea can breath new life into it.

Brak... what vegeta says is basically true... he could have been a bit more diplomatic about it though. Do your research before asking such a broad question. Perhaps if you could specify valve types, Cv factors, solenoid cycle times and power requirements when posing your question you would get a better response.