PDA

View Full Version : Responsible Play at Home

theraidenproject
12-28-2002, 02:58 PM
Paintball has gotten a little too expensive for my group of friends and I, so we have decided to mainly play at each other's houses (obviously, only the ones with enough space). Obviously, we want to be safe and responsible about it. So, what do we need? Obviously, the first issue would be a chrony. How much do the nice red ones run? IIRC, they are pretty expensive, but divide the cost by 10 guys, and it shouldn't be too bad. I think netting would be too costly (considering we would be rotating locations) and excessive. So just set boundaries away from the house, and get a chrono, and I would think we are set. Anything else?

personman
12-28-2002, 03:02 PM
Double check that houses arent too close to your playing area. Set police tape or something like that so ppl dont go out of bounds. If there are houses near yours, you might crank down the velocity a bit. Oh, and even though there are no angry refs to enforce barrel plugs and masks, PLEASE use them!

agdemagman69
12-28-2002, 03:07 PM
i would honestly look into netting, it may be expensive but its the best protection

Sinnet
12-28-2002, 03:26 PM
if you guys dont really care about spectata-bility, why not just use tarp?

Remington
12-28-2002, 03:32 PM
Whenever my friends and I play out in the woods, the few things that get me vexed are: high velocities, playing on after being tagged out, and bonus balling. They're friends, but even the occassional bonus balling makes friends into enemies. :rolleyes: You should definetly look into getting some of that police tape personman mentioned. Not only will your friends and you know where out of bounds are, but it also lets curious neighbors know there's a game going on. Also, if you or someone you know is close with local law enforcement, you should tell them you'll be playing in that area so they know not to arrest anyone. ;) Have fun!

theraidenproject
12-28-2002, 04:13 PM
personman - don't worry about the masks and plugs, all of my friends have been conditioned to do it without problem, and rest assured, I'll yell at them if they don't remember. Safety is the first priority.

You guys make some good points, but I should've been more informative. All of the houses we are playing at are pretty isolated and have lots (13+ useable acres except for two friends who live next to each other who combine for around 5) of land, so worrying about people who are not playing really isn't an issue. Also, although we can have our disagreements off the field:rolleyes:, even the dumb, irresponsible ones never do stuff like that. I've never seen any of them, or will tolerate malicious bonusballing, or turning up of velocities.

Is there anything wrong with 300 fps as the limit? I see most fields use around 285.

*edit* - :eek: $300 for a nice red chrono! Well, divide by ten, and playing once, it will pay for itself. Besides, what do I care? I'd keep it at MY house. hehehe

*2nd edit* - $250 at action village

magnj
12-28-2002, 04:24 PM
300 probably wont be bad, i know if my velocity is over like 300 though my gun gets mad inaccurate. What do chronys run for and are thoose handhelds good">

theraidenproject
12-28-2002, 04:27 PM
The tape is a good idea, though. I'll probabyl stop at Home Depot the day before we go somewhere pick up a roll of something. magnj, i edited my precious post to answer your question.

magnj
12-28-2002, 04:31 PM
ouch, well maybe ill go for an 80$ handheld

pbzmag
12-28-2002, 04:41 PM
Don't forget to check you local laws. Some citys prohibits the firing of air powered guns within city limits execept in zoned areas.

pbzmag

xmetal2001
12-28-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by magnj
ouch, well maybe ill go for an 80$ handheld

The handhelds work great.

fire1811
12-28-2002, 09:37 PM
dude i would just go with the handheld chrono there acurate and easier to pack up and at that price u could buy 3 lol

Kevmaster
12-28-2002, 10:06 PM
handhelds are fine. used by all the tournies i go to...they are accurate to 1% so thats good enoguh

theraidenproject
12-29-2002, 02:40 PM
I didn't know handhelds were that good. All my friends and I thank you guys for saving us each $20. What's the best handheld than? And how much? Around $80? Thanks.

fire1811
12-29-2002, 02:44 PM
oh yeah they are real accurate and yes like 80$ for one
they have them at paintballgear.com i have one called
paintball radarchron. its the yellow one that u see most ppl using

Kevmaster
12-29-2002, 03:54 PM
The Radar Chron is the ONLY handheld one i tink . it costs around $80. There is the VLocity chrono, however you have to align that on the end of the barrel PERFECTLY which is pretty hard.

SpongeBobSquarePants
12-29-2002, 04:23 PM
Just get a nice crony and tape and be responisable i mean its not a real big issue when your playing woods ball now speedball u may need netting if your playing near the house but otherwise i wouldnt worry about it

theraidenproject
12-29-2002, 05:22 PM
I'm getting the radarchron. Thanks for the advice, guys.

magnj
12-29-2002, 06:05 PM
yea i should pick one up, instead of guestimiating our velocities huh

halB
12-29-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by theraidenproject
Paintball has gotten a little too expensive for my group of friends and I, so we have decided to mainly play at each other's houses (obviously, only the ones with enough space). Obviously, we want to be safe and responsible about it. So, what do we need? Obviously, the first issue would be a chrony. How much do the nice red ones run? IIRC, they are pretty expensive, but divide the cost by 10 guys, and it shouldn't be too bad. I think netting would be too costly (considering we would be rotating locations) and excessive. So just set boundaries away from the house, and get a chrono, and I would think we are set. Anything else?

the little pocket radar chronoes are actually pretty accurate, we got a few of em at my field and we use em all the time, theyre pretty good too, take a beating, and between 10 guys its only 7 and a half bux.
secondly on the netting, try to get netting wherever possible, and you dont need enough to close off the field, just use enough to have a small area that you can close off to take your goggles off in.