PDA

View Full Version : New field in the Detroit area!

Fred
12-29-2002, 12:21 PM
I played at Atomix Paintball in Walled Lake MI yesterday for the first time. It has been open for about 3 weeks now.
The location is very easy to get to from the freeway, take M-5 north from the I-96/I-275/I-696 interchange to Maple Rd (15 mile), take a MI left, go a couple blocks to Decker, turn right, and you're there. Ample parking is available in back.

Fields:

Two indoor airball fields. the playing surface is a funky new astroturf material, a lot like grass, but not hard like dirt. You can run on it pretty easily (cleats do help), and slide like nobody's business.

Its pretty clean, as the refs shovel and rake most of the excess paint off between rounds (each round has 2 or 3 games), I was belly sliding into the snake (a Lot) and my CSG Jersey (not the AO one...) is still looking good as new!

One field is a little longer than the other, and has a snake along one side, some big Doritos along the other, with assorted Tacos in the middle, laydowns along the 20, and standups in back.

the second field is a shooting gallery... I didn't have many good games there. Its mostly tacos and standups, with an X to one side of the 50. A hard field to play, but if you figure out its quirks it can be fun (and if you don't get shot in the back by your own team off the break... grr..)

The two fields are along side each other, and are fully enclosed by safety netting. Spectators can watch from 3 sides of each field.

Paint:

Its FPO, but at 50$ a case for big ball, and $60 for the other type (i shot big ball, very fresh, shot very well out of both my Phantom and Sterling STP).

The refs did kick a few players out through the course of the day for using outside paint...

Facilities:

Your 20$ for the entire day entry fee covers all your air needs, they have 4500 psi fills, and CO2.

The staging area is a good size, but the second staging area could be expanded (more tables and chairs added) to accomodate a few more people (there were quite a few most of the day).

A nice locker-room/bathroom is a big plus in my book... :)

They also have a very nice proshop, but no mags on the wall.. :( however the only time I've played and seen more on the field was Shatnerball! :)

The cafe is a little overpriced, but I recommend the Deli sandwiches.

The hours are 10am to 10pm on saturdays... which is pretty cool.

Reffing:

I was suprised how good the primary reffing squad was, they were fast, and very professional. If they can coach the rest of their refs to that level they will be a very fine bunch indeed.

All of the employees were cool, talkative, and the owner is a very cool guy, who chatted with me and the others I was with for a bit since we were the only ones shooting pumps against the Impulses, angels, cockers, mags, etc... and getting more than our fair share of elims... (muahahaha!)

I recomend this place, I had a great time, and I'll definitely go back when I can find the cash to play again. :rolleyes:

---Fred

cheetah256
12-29-2002, 01:10 PM
yes, this was my third week in a row playing at this field. about the fields, the bigger one is sized for nppl 10 man, the smaller is 7 man, which is why people were getting shot up playing 10-10 on it :p. it was cool meeting you and being able to drool over your phantom :D

OutRage86
12-29-2002, 01:20 PM
do you know if there open on any other days, or having somthing special for New Years Eve. Because i live in Crown Point ,IN. And the only closest Indoor field here has Cases of paint for 100$ and thats not includeing another 10$ for field fee plus you have to pay a 1.00 per 1000 psi to fill your tanks THATS BS. I would greatly appreciate it if someone would let me know ASAP. and about how long or far is this place from me any one know? Thanks alot..

If you can Drop me a Line on AIm or reply in here

Darkir386 thanks alot

Fred
12-29-2002, 02:27 PM
Hey Cheetah!

This place is open weekdays, but I didn't pick up a schedule... :(

I'll look into it!

---Fred

synreal
12-29-2002, 02:33 PM
http://pbnation.com/showthread.php?threadid=153815&perpage=21&pagenumber=1 - boat loads of info on this field.

it sounds like whenever you feel like showing up during normal business hours you can go on the field and play.

cheetah256
12-29-2002, 02:47 PM
yeah, the field is open 4pm/10pm on weekdays. its my local field, being only 15 minutes from my house. i turned in an application to be a ref, so i might be there a lot more often.