PDA

View Full Version : My comp on XP won't boot up!

rhetor22
12-29-2002, 12:26 PM
Well it just sort of randomly froze right when i clicked outlook to open it up, so i rebooted it with the power button. I didn't have any problems before. I had just adjusted the clock settings on my geforce though.

Now when i turn it on i get a blue screen that says windows was prevented from booting up for my own safety.

When i reboot i get the option to start in safemode, normal, or the last registry settings that worked. All of these options lead me back to the same blue screen.

What do i do?! :(

personman
12-29-2002, 12:31 PM
registry settings that last worked.. if dat doont work try safe mode..

EsPo
12-29-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by rhetor22
Now when i turn it on i get a blue screen that says windows was prevented from booting up for my own safety.

its obviously going to blow up.. you gotta throw it out the window...;) :p

how did you post if your puter is broken?

rhetor22
12-29-2002, 12:34 PM
neither of them work :(

personman
12-29-2002, 12:44 PM
Itss formattin time! :D

cheetah256
12-29-2002, 01:16 PM
well...its windows..thats your first problem :D all the cool people run linux..well...mainly just me...but i'm cool!!

digitard
12-29-2002, 03:14 PM
First off, WindowsXP is probably the best Microsoft OS out there. Its built off Win2K so its stable, and if you load SP1 after install your compatability fixes are taken care of... and those who diss windows should probably figure that its the MOST compatable OS out there ..... Linux/Lindows/ETC are AMAZINGLY stable, but they're not friendly with programs... so its a tradeoff.

It looks like your system corrupted something important to windows.... possibly a bad memory stick error. Your going to have to reinstall windows if you cant get into Safe Mode/etc.

Make sure you dont have bad memory too or a bad hard drive to be sure ...

Memory Test Program: www.memtest86.com ... its a free download and it will test your memory for errors, so if you have bad memory this will tell you before it happens again.

Hard Drive Test: Go to the manufacturers website and download their diagnostic tools .... if it checks out then great.

If you CAN try just putting in your windows disk and reboot and choose the REPAIR option so you wont loose your data.

Sincerely,
Dave K

rhetor22
12-29-2002, 03:15 PM
yes yes i know.

It says its a registry error. Is there a way to get the registry backup list before windows tries to boot?

I'm on my step dad's comp right now :p

SpongeBobSquarePants
12-29-2002, 03:21 PM
First off find your boot disk that came with your comp insert it weather it be a cd or a floppy i dont no i use ME turn your computer on and immdeitly start tapping F8 somewhere there should be a tap that says start from disk, and then you can reformat from there. Also if you have a dell or gateway call them up they will walk your through the whole process

rhetor22
12-29-2002, 05:08 PM
ok here's the deal:

I have a copy of my windows disc here. The original is at my dad's house, i can get that in a day or two. I can't boot up from the copy disc.

I can boot up into dos from a boot disc, or i can use a Windows ME disc to boot into dos.

The blue screen says REGISTRY ERROR. Is there a way to view the registry log?

thanks for all your help so far guys, i hope we can work this thing out.

SpongeBobSquarePants
12-29-2002, 05:34 PM
Hmmmmm sounds like a prob ill call my dad he no's dos ill ask him if there is a way to get into your registry thru dos give me 10 mins

SpongeBobSquarePants
12-29-2002, 06:05 PM
Ok i talked to him here is what he said to do

Windows does not like dos

You can run form the boot disk to reinstall XP and you will keep your data it justs sets everything back to how it was before it broke or atleast thats what he said hope that helps a little

digitard
12-29-2002, 06:18 PM
WindowsXP doesn't use DOS ... Its built off of the NT "Whistler" core ... DOS doesn't exist to it, it can emulate it, but its not REAL dos (WinME was the last OS to use it).

You'll need to get the original disk from your dads house and do the REPAIR function.

Sincerely,
Dave K

rhetor22
12-29-2002, 06:25 PM
Yep, it says that setup on the XP disc is not a DOS program.

I'll try and get the original ASAP.

Thanks for the help spongebob, and digitard. Thanks for taking the time to call your dad too, spongebob.

I hope i can get it back up!

I guess we'll find out in a day or two. (that is if i can actually find the disc at my dad's :rolleyes: :D )