PDA

View Full Version : * New Paintball Idea! *

Remington
12-29-2002, 04:05 PM
Well, I'm watching the Pats game and I came up with a new idea for paintball. It's sort of a spin-off of football and the new X-Ball format. Like football, one team would start of with the flag and they would have to start of on one side of the field. The team with the flag tries to get the flag to the opposing team's "endzone". Now, combine this with the X-ball format and you should get a reasonablly spectator friendly form of paintball.

The reason I think we need another is my dad's friend(who doesn't know much about paintball, but had played it several times a few yrs. ago) watched the World Cup on OLN and told me that it really wasn't all that interesting to watch. If you look at from a person's point of view that knows nothing about paintball, it really isn't the fun to watch. I need some suggestions on how well you guys think this format would fly with the rest of the paintball community. Also, if you have any other things you think would help the format, post it hear.

SpongeBobSquarePants
12-29-2002, 04:19 PM
Sounds like a awsome idea but im not sure how well it would fly considering paintball is worked alot different then football but hey it sounds cool and yea if you dont no anything about paintball then it isnt fun to watch

Remington
12-29-2002, 04:24 PM
Thanks spongebob. :D Any ideas? Oh yea . . . . . . GO PATS!

SpongeBobSquarePants
12-29-2002, 04:34 PM
LOL i think you got it wrong go Steelers!!!!!

sniper1rfa
12-29-2002, 04:40 PM
maybe make them bring it like 3/4 down, but not all the way, as that would just turn into an elimination game.

Remington
12-29-2002, 04:48 PM
AND THE PATRIOTS WIN IT IN OVERTIME! WOOHOO! Oh by the way, they also scored 11 points in 97 seconds! :D sniper1rfa, I forgot to mention that the game would be played on a field roughly the size of a football field with 11 or 12 players on the field at a time(like football). That way, there is more room for a player or players to run to the "endzone" and score. There would also be more bunkers but instead of being set-up in staggered positions on the field they would be placed . . . well, I'll just make a Paint picture and post it.

ß.C.
12-29-2002, 04:54 PM
PATS RULE I JUST SAW THAT GAME!!! And hey, maybe you should start it sometime :) just send me a PM, I might be able to bring some friends :)

DOLPHINS AND RICKY WILLIAMS CAN GO HOME AND CRY, lets pray the packers WIN!

Remington
12-29-2002, 05:15 PM
Well, as you can probably see I'm not awesome at paint but here's the general field set-up(not entirely different from a paintball field). Instead of the teams just sitting at bunkers shooting at each other, the players on the opposing team have to try and tag the flag carrier. When the carrier gets tagged, instead of going to the dead box, the flag is placed at that particular spot on the field. I don't know much about football but this game will incorporate downs, possession and penalties like in football. Anyway. Tell me what you think and post some ideas! B.C if we can get a big enough field to use I'd be happy to try it out, I just can't think of anywhere we could set it up without running into lots of fees for renting out a field all day.

Vash02
12-29-2002, 05:29 PM
What a bunch of crap. my dolphins had it in the bag. Now i have to hope that the PACKERs of all teams win so we can make the playoffs. its stupid when i want the packers to lose they win and when i want them to win (today) they are losing. they better come back. Either way i dont think the dolphins or the pats will go very far. O yeah about your idea i have no idea how that would work. It might be okay but as of right now it just seems kinda unorderly. Good luck with it though.

Vash02
12-29-2002, 05:33 PM
O and as for B.C. who says ricky should go home and cry...the Packers WILL win other wise the pats dont make it either and assuming the packers do win i can feel that our teams will meet again and this time ricky will finish em off!!
GO DOLPHINS !!!

magman007
12-29-2002, 06:04 PM
too bad the eagles are goin to take the cake this year....

joeyjoe367
12-29-2002, 06:46 PM
THis would actually make for a pretty watchable format... Interesting...

One of the better Idea's I've seen in a while.

ß.C.
12-29-2002, 07:22 PM
hey, you know those ref shields? We should have people using those as linemen. They maybe could carry a light marker like a pt extreme or something. They could make formations and stuff to plow through the field!

ß.C.
12-29-2002, 07:28 PM
oh yea and there should be other methods of scoring like extra points, field goals, and 2 point conversions in football. Maybe there could be multiple flags :) Or for a field goal maybe there could be something large and light thrown into the air and each team would shoot at it to try to get it somewhere within a certain amount of time, it wouldn't stay in the air though you could still shoot at it when it hits the ground! c'mon guys think! I think this might go somewhere ;)

Remington
12-29-2002, 08:41 PM
I KNOW! For a field goal type thing we could have one guy shoot at a target on the other side of the endzone, like a free-throw in basketball. As for the linebacker thing, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to have the shields because then you could just give the flag to that guy and he wouldn't get tagged, but ya never know. UP!

ß.C.
12-29-2002, 08:47 PM
it doesn't hafta be a exactly like football. It could be like high speed games, lke hockey and when someone gets shot it's like a powerplay. It could be more of a high scoring game instead but I think footballs scoring system is the best :)

anyways, linebackers are on defense :) and wouldn't have the ball. I was talking about linemen.

Remington
12-29-2002, 08:50 PM
I agree. Somehow were gonna have to really follow through with this, it's getting really interesting. :D

Mossman
12-29-2002, 09:16 PM
OH SNAP! you could have "blockers". Hows about u can have 2 guys who are designated to be able to run along side but not within 15 feet or so of your flag runner. They can be shot all they like, but after they are shot they cant shoot, they can only act as human sheilds :) This would make life more interesting, as back guys cant just put up a wall of paint over the endzone,you have to get close enough to the flag runner and get angles around the bunkers hes behind as well as around his blockers.

I think that could be interesting. I call NOT BLOCKER! :)

logamus
12-29-2002, 09:33 PM
this is a pretty neat idea. one thing i would like to see incorporated, defensemen cannot sit still. either that or you limit their paint. otherwise you have half the defense stitting behind the back bunkers just pumping out paint and the offense cant move. i like the idea about being hit and not shooting. that should apply to both sides. when the flag carrier gets hit he dropps the flag and the defense takes over at that spot. some kinks to work out but i think thats a doable concept, however i am not sure how much more sense this would make to the average sports fan. if the wc doesnt make much sense, im not sure if this idea would be any easier to understand tbh.

vlhockey22
12-29-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by ß.C.

RICKY WILLIAMS CAN GO HOME AND CRY

Say that to Ricky. His arms are probably as big as your torso.:D

Sinnet
12-29-2002, 11:41 PM
hmm... as far as "field-goal" type things go, there could be a button (or flag or whatever) on bunkers at each yard-marker... a team hitting the button when it gets to the 40 gets 5 points, the 50, 10 points, the other teams 40, 20 points, and so on...

Remington
12-30-2002, 09:14 AM
Great ideas. Keepin' 'em comin'!

battlegroup
12-30-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by SpongeBobSquarePants
LOL i think you got it wrong go Steelers!!!!!

That's right GO STEELERS!

Spongebob you from the burgh?

ß.C.
12-30-2002, 10:35 AM
Sinnet thats a great idea, it adds a little more risk and chance to the game. I think if we have linemen with sheilds the whole problem with mass paint fire will end. Remember, you could always charge a guy with a shield and he'll most likely have a light weapon with him. And have you ever used one of them? It's not so secure behind it. It moves every time it gets shot and you can feel and hear the paintballs exploding. Also the defense could have the "D line" and they could charge the o line to prevent them from carrying the flag to the endzone. You would be able to make contact but only with the shields(if you hit a person not on the shield it'lll be like illegalcontact in football), it'll turn this game to be more interesting . . .

. . . new contact sport . . . PAINTBALL!

A.T.S
12-30-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by ß.C.
Sinnet thats a great idea, it adds a little more risk and chance to the game. I think if we have linemen with sheilds the whole problem with mass paint fire will end. Remember, you could always charge a guy with a shield and he'll most likely have a light weapon with him. And have you ever used one of them? It's not so secure behind it. It moves every time it gets shot and you can feel and hear the paintballs exploding. Also the defense could have the "D line" and they could charge the o line to prevent them from carrying the flag to the endzone. You would be able to make contact but only with the shields(if you hit a person not on the shield it'lll be like illegalcontact in football), it'll turn this game to be more interesting . . .

. . . new contact sport . . . PAINTBALL!

Any Contact would be dangerous. What if you fall on your gun when someone bashes your shield with theirs? I see broken guns, and people being impaled on barrels.

ß.C.
12-30-2002, 01:10 PM
A.T.S You are right, that'd be a bad thing for the sport, no contact it is!

digitard
12-30-2002, 01:15 PM
no no, the shields were a good idea .... but the guys with the shields CANT carry markers, thats their tradeoff ... they have a lot of defense to them, but they cannot attack the offense, so your going to have to work with a "marker" player to maximize your effectiveness.

Sincerely,
Dave K

Remington
12-30-2002, 01:53 PM
Yea digitard's got the idea. What about field size though? A regulation speedball field isn't NEARLY big enough for all this. Is the 100 yd by 50 yd dimension good?

ß.C.
12-30-2002, 02:09 PM
keep chucking in ideas, once we get a rule book down maybe we could come together and rent out a field for a day, like everyone contributes some dough

digitard
12-30-2002, 02:16 PM
I figure you need some type of "moving defense" to get the ball runner up the field right, so the shields is the way to go ... by removing the marker from the shield guy he has a lot of defense, but he cant attack .... NOW if he gets shot he's still out otherwise it woudl just be "get the sheild guys around and run".

I think at the next BIG AO meet (like the official everyone meet) we should have part of the day broken into teams of this and have a mini tourny once its done with rules and so forth.

Also with the defense, maybe allow ONE (just one) defenseman to have a marker ... but nobody on the other team knows which of the 4-5 defense shielded guys has the marker to make it more strategic.

Sincerely,
Dave K

hitech
12-30-2002, 02:35 PM
There are variations on the capture the flag format on paintball already. I think that first just trying the one team starts with the flag and trys to get it to the other side is a good idea. After that game ends you give the flag to the other team and go again. Sounds like a nice variation. :D

ß.C.
12-30-2002, 02:45 PM
should there be like a no pod rule? So people are forced to conserve paint or put in the back ups?

oh yea, who would wanna be a linemen if you can make contact or shoot? We gotta work on this . . .

digitard
12-30-2002, 02:57 PM
No you can make contact as a lineman (since you wont have a marker)... but your goal is more of to assist the "runner" to get from point for point...

If you had a shield AND a marker you'd own .. you could protect yourself by only revealing what ya need to get your barrel out and be pretty much a tank ... BUT by only having the shield you have to be able to think about what you wanna do and how to get that runner from point A to point B with him not getting hit and you as well ....

Sincerely,
Dave K

ß.C.
12-30-2002, 04:01 PM
the shields need to be reinforced and I stated earlier the linemen would carry pistols, giving them only 10 shots or until their gas gives in. But still shield + weapon = too powerful.

hitech
12-30-2002, 04:15 PM
I think most of the ideas are TOO different. Start slowly and see how it goes. Here is another idea. Both teams start with a flag. The first to get it to the opposite side wins.

ß.C.
12-30-2002, 04:23 PM
that's true, but it'd cost too much money, to try out all the ideas and see which ones should stay and which ones should go. Anyone reading this, if you have the time, try an idea and let us know what most people thought. Personally I've played "shield" paintball before, we had light guns and a homemade sheilds(most of em broke so I'm wanting to buy a ref shield). IT WAS INTENSE FUN! We would rush each other all day and start circling, whenever u ran out of ammo u'd sheild/retreat/reload at the same time. It WAS TOO COOL. That's why I brought up the idea . . . .

Remington
12-30-2002, 04:27 PM
I'm so happy this is becoming something that actually sounds like fun to play. :D Just remember though, I get partial if not most of the credit for thinking this up! ;) However, we also need a name for this new game. I have no idea where to begin, any takers?

On the idea of people with shields I have a couple points to make. 1.) Awesome idea! 2.) Definetly a no contact rule should be enforced. 3.) Instead of being allowed to roam the field with the shield, someone with a shield should only be allowed to the 50. This allows shield-bearers to avoid being delt HUGE welts from players with markers shooting them from 5 feet away.

On the limited paint idea: again fantastic idea, I was thinking about that not five minutes before writing this. To allow spectators a more exciting game, limited paint will make players become more daring, allowing for a much more enjoyable experience for those watching it. I'm thinking maybe 1 or 2 pods maximum(probably 1).

Anyway. Up for this! Great ideas everyone. :D

ß.C.
12-30-2002, 04:43 PM
DUDE I DON'T CARE WHO GETS THE CREDIT, I WANNA TRY THIS. I think instead of a 50 yard restriction, it should be determined on lines. Like the line of scimage on the football field. On a pass linemen aren't allowed to pass the line of scrimage. So it should be shield people only can move up 5 yards from line of scrimage or something like that. It's kinda hard to get the flag in the endzone with your linemen at the 50 with no gun don't ya think?

Remington
12-30-2002, 04:46 PM
I'm just worried about someone stealing our idea and turning it into something as big as X-Ball. Anyway. Yea, the lines of scrimmage idea is a good one. :D We should have some people start working on a rules/regs book, possible strategies for the game, field layout, and equipment lists for the game. Uppity!

ß.C.
12-30-2002, 05:04 PM
Well you are the thread starter, how about you keep a list of aspects of the games and in like a day after the ideas have been compiled you can post all the aspects and have people start debating on rules.

Remington
12-30-2002, 05:06 PM
:D Good call! After we get most of the ideas finalized I'll list 'em all on my first post.

digitard
12-30-2002, 05:14 PM
Get a free site and keep an HTML page of ideas so far ... dont label anything, just put the ideas and give us the link ... as more ideas come add more, and we can view/reflect by that page.

Sinceely,
Dave K

Remington
12-30-2002, 05:17 PM
I can try that, I've made probably one good website in my several attempts. I'll let you know when it's up.

digitard
12-30-2002, 05:25 PM
Dont even worry about quality, just literally put the ideas there in simple HTML

if u need help ask, I know the web stuff

dave k

ß.C.
12-30-2002, 05:56 PM
So let the ideas ROLL. So far we got:

-shields
-some sort of "field goal" or another way of scroing -besides bringing flag to endzone
-limited paint supply

how many player should be on the field at once and how big the field should be I think is the big topic that we should discuss now.

digitard
12-30-2002, 06:10 PM
Hmmm .... how about

4 Defensive (still offense team) (shield players) per team
6 offense

This includes initial "flag runner" .... maybe seperate it into
OFFENSE =
3 support offense
2 rogue offense
1 flag runner

Then the Defense team has:
3 shield players
5 offensive players
2 "safety" hold back players

Remington
12-30-2002, 06:31 PM
Well here it is: Link (http://remington686.tripod.com/) Let me know you all think. Remember, I'm no professional. ;) :D

ß.C.
12-30-2002, 06:37 PM
I think there should just be an even amount of players on offense and defense, and they should decide what kind of players they want for different strategy purposes.

Remington
12-30-2002, 06:43 PM
Look at the link! :D

Remington
12-30-2002, 08:11 PM
UP! Why hasn't Tom or somebody like Bill Mills seen this? UP up and away!

ß.C.
12-30-2002, 08:51 PM
I say the field should be smaller, we all know paintball isn't gonna have big stadiums for people to watch right away . . . anyways it makes games more INTENSE

Sinnet
12-30-2002, 08:57 PM
hmm... as far as paint goes... how about if this went x-ball style (multiple "games" within a game) each team would start out with 500 balls/player, divided however. After each game, the losing team would get a little more paint than the winner for the next game... kinda to balance it out?

and i think 3 diff. color flags, one at the 40, 50, 60 for each team on diff. bunkers that they'd carry off if shot and would be worth something would work... and would encourage aggressiveness.

ß.C.
12-30-2002, 09:43 PM
well i don't think losing teams should get more paint because skill is skill. But I do like the idea of paintballs split between teams and small refills at a time.

Remington
12-30-2002, 09:49 PM
Has anyone looked at the site yet? :) Come on I need to know what is good/bad about it.