PDA

View Full Version : KInda Corny but some truth here and something to think on...

cphilip
12-30-2002, 09:51 PM
Yes I am old and this is corny. But happy new year and try to read between the lines and get the message. At least try ok? This is a time before all of a lot of your times. But the message has to do with the basics in life that mean so much more... (sniff... :) )

Dirt Roads
-- By Paul Harvey

What's mainly wrong with society today is that too many Dirt Roads have been paved.

There's not a problem in America today, crime, drugs, education, divorce, delinquency that wouldn't be remedied, if we just had more Dirt Roads, because Dirt Roads give character.

People that live at the end of Dirt Roads learn early on that life is a bumpy ride.

That it can jar you right down to your teeth sometimes, but it's worth it, if at the end is home...a loving spouse, happy kids and a dog.

We wouldn't have near the trouble with our educational system if our kids got their exercise walking a Dirt Road with other kids, from whom they learn how to get along.

There was less crime in our streets before they were paved.

Criminals didn't walk two dusty miles to rob or rape, if they knew they'd be welcomed by 5 barking dogs and a double barrel shotgun.

And there were no drive by shootings.

Our values were better when our roads were worse!

People did not worship their cars more than their kids, and motorists were more courteous, they didn't tailgate by riding the bumper or the guy in front would choke you with dust & bust your windshield with rocks.

Dirt Roads taught patience.

Dirt Roads were environmentally friendly, you didn't hop in your car for a quart of milk you walked to the barn for your milk.

For your mail, you walked to the mail box.

What if it rained and the Dirt Road got washed out? That was the best part, then you stayed home and had some family time, roasted marshmallows and popped popcorn and pony rode on Daddy's shoulders and learned how to make prettier quilts than anybody.

At the end of Dirt Roads, you soon learned that bad words tasted like soap.

Most paved roads lead to trouble, Dirt Roads more likely lead to a fishing creek or a swimming hole.

At the end of a Dirt Road, the only time we even locked our car was in August, because if we didn't some neighbor would fill it with too much zucchini.

At the end of a Dirt Road, there was always extra springtime income, from when city dudes would get stuck, you'd have to hitch up a team and pull them out.

Usually you got a dollar...always you got a new friend...at the end of a Dirt Road!

SpongeBobSquarePants
12-30-2002, 09:56 PM
cphill that is out there and before my time but i understand the meaning where did you find that?

spazzed
12-30-2002, 10:05 PM
Whadya mean where did he find it? That's classic Paul Harvey! ;)

Spray Painter
12-30-2002, 10:15 PM
ya, lets go to big 4 rents and get some tractors and then dig up all the paved roads, so whos with me:D ;)

j/k i know what it means, my grandma lives at the end of a dirt road, wait no, they just paved it last year. ahhhh the world is coming to an end;) :p ;)

ok i'll be serius now, paul harvy is that radio news guy right?(and now you know the rest of the story) i get what it means(*sniff*:) )

cphilip
12-30-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by spazzed
Whadya mean where did he find it? That's classic Paul Harvey! ;)

Indeed...and from a lot of you peoples Gradparents times and my parents times. Still classic stuff though. And yes he was a Radio Personality still on some channels. I believe he is still doing this stuff. Time to reflect on a simpler time I fear a lot of us all missed out on. But can still yearn and strive for.

Sinistarr
12-31-2002, 11:25 AM
Good on Phil! My grandparents (both sides) lived on or at the end of dirt roads. I keep telling my son and stepdaughter how much better this world would be if we went back at least 30 years.

This really hits the mark. I only wish I had been born 20-30 years earlier. I could have known my grandparents better. I know I would have turned out better than I did. My son so far is turning out better than I was at his age. Hopefully it will continue.

Is far as I know Paul Harvey is still on every day at 11:30 and 4:30 I believe.

G

wyn1370
12-31-2002, 11:36 AM
ah for love of a dirt road, made the bottoms of you feet tough as leather.
my old house that I grew up in was on a dirt road. the freakin airport bought up the whole street and knocked it down right before christmas last year.

virus
12-31-2002, 02:41 PM
and for you that are not sure who paul harvey is..... first you may have to listen to the AM radio band once in a while.... ya you know the radio band not the time :)

anyway here is his catch phrase in wav format.... that will help you if you think you know or not

good-day.wav 10k (http://webpages.charter.net/virus1/sounds/GOOD-DAY.WAV)

enjoy.... and yes i listen to him when i remember to change the radio in my car/work.... whom ever i am with usally looks at me funny but they end up with a chukle in the end.....

and now you know the rest of the story :p :p

Muzikman
12-31-2002, 03:12 PM
/me ponders....

yeah..Phil's a hick;)

shartley
12-31-2002, 03:13 PM
I liked reading that, but disagree….. paved roads are not our problem… Holding people accountable for THEIR actions is. And it just so happens that it went away along with the dirt roads… but didn’t go away because of…. ;) Oh, but that is similar to blaming the problems on paved roads isn’t it? :D What a circle!

cphilip
12-31-2002, 05:44 PM
Actually Sam I think your talking about the same thing he is. I think by referencing it as "Gravel/Dirt/Unpaved Roads" he meant an old fashioned accountability and morals. I think thats what he was realy saying here. I do not think you were supposed to take that literaly. It was symbolic. I think. But I guess each gets whatever he wants out of it. But I think you are both on the same page from the way I took it.

Happy new year.

shartley
12-31-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Actually Sam I think your talking about the same thing he is. I think by referencing it as "Gravel/Dirt/Unpaved Roads" he meant an old fashioned accountability and morals. I think thats what he was realy saying here. I do not think you were supposed to take that literaly. It was symbolic. I think. But I guess each gets whatever he wants out of it. But I think you are both on the same page from the way I took it.

Happy new year.
;) Yup.... but my post was fun! :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I got something for you! Shoot me a line when you get a chance.

cphilip
01-01-2003, 03:05 AM
You scoundrel. I was thinking you were pulling my leg...

OK will do

Happy new year to you and yours.

bornl33t
01-01-2003, 06:16 AM
In all honesty, a year ago I would have copied that down and put it in my AIM profile or something. But as it says lifes a bumpy ride and it's changed me over the past year. There's no place for sentimentalism in life.. least not for me, so I'm just gonna nod and keep going.

But it's true...

luke
01-01-2003, 11:50 AM
Ha Ha, I love it, it takes me home….. All kidding aside that’s how I was raised, dirt roads and all!

Great post "C"!
:cool:

luke
01-01-2003, 12:00 PM
But as it says life’s a bumpy ride and it's changed me over the past year. There's no place for sentimentalism in life.. least not for me, so I'm just gonna nod and keep going.

Heat,
Boy I know where you’re coming from. Life sure is tough. I think we (men especially) become more callous as we get older. I think that’s why I enjoyed that post so much; it took me back to a more innocent time, where life had far less baggage. But, like the song says “I’m gonna ride on”!

FooTemps
01-02-2003, 06:17 AM
do gravel roads count?

The Frymarker
01-02-2003, 06:27 PM
Cphil thanks for that! I love Paul Harvey even though he is before my time, I have read many quotes by him.

I used to live on a semidirt road.....now it's a Hotel

Yes but the statement is true a dirt road does make you notice the bumpy rides and deal with life's little mishap's.

I think without the bumps you take things for granted.

darklord
01-02-2003, 07:18 PM
Hmm...yes, let's start getting rid of all these "dirty" modern values/paved roads! While we're at it, let's get women out of the work force, bring back lynching and slavery, and bring back those other old-time values of the past!
Roads are paved to create efficiency. Efficiency is what we're looking for in society, is it not? I agree that the world today isn't perfect, but "back then", in the "old days", it wasn't perfect either! You have to take the good with the bad.
Sure, grandma and grandpa didn't have it as easy as we do now, and they've earned character by going through tough times... but is going through similar troubles that they had the answer to today's problems? That's the last thing your grandparents would want for you.
I have to say, today's world/society needs a serious slap in the face, and so we can set our values straight, but going back to "old roots" isn't going to solve a thing. Today's problems may be different, but they're still problems. Look to the future, not the past.

aaron_mag
01-02-2003, 07:41 PM
Agree with dark lord. There were tons of "hidden" problems that were unhealthy back then.

Life can be a bumpy road. Some people get cancer and have a short life. Should we bring back the equivalent to polio because it builds character in the survivors? I say take out as many of the bumps as possible for people. Let them experience as many of the good things as possible.