PDA

View Full Version : Big guys with big tanks?

Darkstorm
12-31-2002, 09:54 AM
I was wondering if anyone else out there is very tall and running a big tank. I am 6'8" and am getting a 114c crossfire with a short cradle. The big tank is for the shot count because I play rec/scenario, don't want to count on getting a 4.5k fill, and weight is not a problem for me. I also like to use the tank like a stock to brace the gun when firing and I was wondering what length drop others use for this. The one I have on order is a short drop, oppinions? (BTW-This is my first mag and HPA system.)http://www.xenterprises.info/sysxonkrad.html

I know this makes the gun big, but bunkers tend to not be real helpful for me anyways.

manike
12-31-2002, 10:09 AM
Hey Darkstorm :)

As you know I'm quite a big guy also. I run an 88ci tank (amongst others) for similar reasons. The 88 tank I use the most is the same width as a 68ci but the same length as the 114ci. It works really well for me. I like the length, it actually fits my arms and where I want to hold the gun well. (I also have a dumpy 88ci tank which is nice and much lighter but I like the length of the other one for my long arms and it works perfectly without a stock).

I understand the issue about not wanting to count on getting perfect fills, and in that case if you are comfortable with the 114 then go for it. I would definitely recommend that you get a 4500psi tank though just in case you can get the fills. It may be slightly heavier than the 3000psi tank but I think it's worth it. You may not even notice/worry about the weight increase.

How much paint will you be carrying when you play scenario's? I easily get 10 pods and a hopper out of my 88ci but that's with a proper fill. I'm errr... very trigger happy :) so you may not need that many shots. There certainly feels a difference between the 88ci tank and the 114ci in weight and comfort.

I used to run an RT (mag) on a 114ci 3000psi tank before the 4500's became available and it worked real well for me but I'm now used to the smaller tank.

How do you like to hold your marker? Do you like it out infront of you and in your shoulder like a normal gun, I do, and if that's the case go with the short drop. If you like it closer and more compact (never been as accurate that way for me) then you may want a bigger drop.

Sorry for writing a novel :) It's always nice to meet a bigger baller than me ;)

manike

Darkstorm
12-31-2002, 10:49 AM
'S' nice to hear from you, should of thought of asking you first. This is a great help.

I tend to use the tank like a shoulder stock and that is why I was thinking of the short drop. Sounds like that works pretty good for you so that is what I am going with. Weight is not an issue, and I use a carrying strap in a scenario.

With paint, I always carry at least 750 because I have a modified 4 pack with 150's. While I am not overly happy on the trigger, I have used over 1600 on a single trip in the field (i.e 6 hours). So I want the tank for shot count on the field; but it also means I don't have to stop to get a fill if I don't want to for some reason. Now, I haven't seen any 114cc 4.5K's, yet.

To bad my London gig fell apart, it would be fun to be on the same side one of these days.

Happy Holidays,
Darkstorm

manike
12-31-2002, 11:07 AM
If you are using a carrying strap then the weight really won't bother you. As soon as you are using it in anger, the weight is the last thing you will be thinking about. :)

1600 is just about what I happily get on one decent fill of my 88/4500 (396000) so with a 114/3000 (342000) you will get less than that with a full fill. So you could almost do your whole day's play on one fill :) with a 114/4500 (513000) you could shoot forever!

If you buy a 114/3000 psi tank the resale will be rubbish. No one really wants them. I know AGDE were selling some of seriously cheap just to move them, or you ought to be able to pick up a cheap one second hand (maybe even new) for very little.

That said I can't stress enough how important for me using 4500 tanks is. I wouldn't buy a 3000psi tank.

You may not always be able to get fills, but the fact that you can sometimes when needed is invaluable. It will also have a better resale value if ever you move on (although 114ci's are notoriously difficult to shift nowadays). And the extra capacity when you do get fills is so nice.

I don't know if crossfire do 114/4500 but if they do that would be a great tank. I know SP were doing 114/4500 (because of shockers being gas hogs) and I know you can get them, but they aren't so common.

Hope that helps.

manike

p.s. What sort of mag are you getting? A retro mag is my suggestion ;)

Jonno06
12-31-2002, 11:14 AM
i am 6'2 and I have a 114ci AA Raptor.

Darkstorm
12-31-2002, 11:23 AM
I am not into markers that you have to charge. I am going to get a 68 with all the upgrades; xvalue, new HPA, freak, double trigger, stickies, etc. I am going to get it redone black because this marker is going to be black and red. The only thing I would like is a hopper center no elbow instead of the HL PF.

manike
12-31-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Darkstorm
I am not into markers that you have to charge. I am going to get a 68 with all the upgrades; xvalue, new HPA, freak, double trigger, stickies, etc. I am going to get it redone black because this marker is going to be black and red. The only thing I would like is a hopper center no elbow instead of the HL PF.

The retro mag is one that you don't have to charge. It's Just manual ;) . In fact it pretty much comes with everything you are going to add as stock... if you get the RT Pro.

It comes with the retro valve (half aluminium half stainless, the X-valve is all aluminium). It comes with the fantastic double trigger intelliframe and dye stickies as stock... I think you may even be able to get them as Centrefeed... but I'm not certain of that. You can get them in all black and give it red accemts with the barrel and drop etc. That would be sweet.

manike

manike
12-31-2002, 11:32 AM
Darkstorm this is what I would recommend after reading what you are looking for...

http://store.airgun.com/agdprod/images/markers/rtpro_vert_lg.jpg

You can find it at http://store.airgun.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=17&Product_ID=231&CATID=19

You can get it with a black body if you want and have the front grip mount and sight rail powder coated translucent red to make it look stunning. With a set of red sticky grips and a red freak barrel you would be completely set!

You can find it much cheaper elsewhere also than the online store ;)

manike

behemoth
12-31-2002, 12:00 PM
about the sx kradel....im 6'0 and im 14, doc says im gonna be 6'8 by the time im done growing ;), ne way, i love my system x cradel, with on off, and its not that big. it basically puts the tank reg under the gun, and the tank itself i use as a stock. i got my d/f when i bought my SX vengeance base autococker!. ne way. yea thats a good drop... And as for the RTP go for it dude, manike is right, those kick some serious ***. its an emag, w/o a battery and a slightly longer trigger pull, i want one, but my cocker was cheaper! like i said, at 14 i dont have all the money in the world, but even if i did...my parents wouldnt let me spend it ...

-FiRe-

Collegeboy
12-31-2002, 12:18 PM
I am 6'4, not too tall, but it is alright. I run a classic mag with a crossfire 68 3000psi. If I would of known more before I bought the crossfire I would of bought a 88 4500, but for know mine is alright. I can shoot practically 1200 shots per fill with my mag before I get level ten. I think that will drop down after that, but not sure how much. My mag as it is now has an intellifeed, soon level 10, and a flame drop. I am not too keen on the flame drop for it isn't big enough for me. I am also 300 pounds. So to make up for my horizontal gift ness I need to have my gun in tight. That is why I am fixing to go and buy a psycho ballistic red drop. They are extremely tight feeling. I like for my eye to be at the back of the gun (one reason my I don't shoot autocockers ;) )

behemoth
12-31-2002, 12:21 PM
WTF???

i just bought a 68/45k crossfire, i used it on my cocker and ran out in an hour, no leaks at all...how do you get 1200 off a 68/3k?????????????????????????????????????????

RetroEclipseMan
12-31-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Collegeboy
I am 6'4, not too tall, but it is alright.

Well, compaired to me being 5'9" that's pretty tall:D Man all you tall people are making me feel like a midget:D . I use a 45/45 apoc. on a dye apoc. cradle and it's just about right. Maybe a bit short but not bad. I used to use a 88/4500psi maxflow on a full-size shocktech drop and it was perfect. Got around 1300 shots off a 4500psi fill with my retromag which wasn't bad but not that great either. I just had to switch tanks because it was just too big of a setup.

CMDane
12-31-2002, 07:12 PM
You and I (except for the height differential, my 6"2" vs. your 6'8") sound very similar. I used to run my XFire 88 (65 width, 110 length) on a grip mount duckbill, but got tired of reaching out a bit around the Warp Feed. I've purchased an identical D/F so I can get my left arm around the Warp. You've got a bit more wingspan, so you should be fine. If you want a bit more of a rifle feel (and you don't have a warp), take a look at the duckbill. You'll lose the on-off of the System X, but it should be close to rifle stock length. That's why I had my duckbill originally.

Also, if you do decide to use the System X, take a good look at the on-off pin inside the cradle. My on-off pin was about 1/16th of an inch too long, and it would push the tank's pin in just enough to gas up the gun. Couple of minutes with a rotary tool fixed that, though. If needed, just unscrew the on-off and push the pin out. Cut 1/16th off with a cut-off wheel, make a couple of passes with a fine metal file and reassemble.

Pile & A Half
01-01-2003, 01:22 AM
I am 6'3 and I use a 90/45. I am a mid player....but I do prefer long drops. So it fits in my shoulder nice. I like to play tight to.....but I use a TKO chrome drops. Those things are nice and long. And good enough for me.

c sherer
01-01-2003, 01:47 AM
Hmmm..... Why do I only see peeps that are +6 feet in height? I never see any foo that is 4 foot nothing posting..... LOL.

C.S.

dave_p
01-01-2003, 02:34 PM
im only 5'5" and i have a 3000 110 on my mag, i like it. it is bigger than my gun but its dropped so far forward it balances perfect(wonder if xvalve will change that).
http://m-net.arbornet.org/~lorax/mag.jpg

SGTKennedy
01-01-2003, 03:15 PM
im 6' and i have a short drop on my emag, balances it perfect with old school SS apoc 68/45.

i also have a 114/45 apoc, dont play much anymore, but it was also for my recballing needs. If you cant find any tanks you want go ahead give me a PM, maybe we can work something out on the 114. Its 3 years old now, was hydroed in april of 2002. the thing is a beast. 114s really are large, a bit too big for me these days. and i cant fit it backwards with my warp.

behemoth
01-01-2003, 04:58 PM
im not trying to insult anyone, but i just dont know why people put tanks on backwards. no offense but that just makes the emag look stupid

magnj
01-01-2003, 06:12 PM
im small and I have an 88/45 lol, Its still comfy cuz i got the big oll DZ2 and i need it cuz I play outlaw alot and can only get 1 fill a day

mykroft
01-01-2003, 07:27 PM
I'm 6'3" and run a Max-Flo 88/4500. I do have it on the medium shocktech rail and a SP extender off my Angel to get it almost as short as a standard 68. At ~260lbs, I've got enough problems tucking myself into bunkers.

I also run a 20oz off an angled shorty drop on my Mag, snugs up real nice.

Ov3rmind
01-01-2003, 08:03 PM
I'm 6'1" and run a 68ci Crossfire with no drop. If I use an adjustable, I may go 88ci though. This is mainly because the neck/reg on the Crossfire tank makes it around as long as an 88 (say, if you set the rail mount on a Max-Flow so the tank was a close to the gun as possible).
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=563142
Most of my friends (5'4"-5'10") prefer the feel of a 68ci tank with a shorter drop (like a Mini Shocktech or CP Micro).

Fred
01-02-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by FiRe
i just bought a 68/45k crossfire, i used it on my cocker and ran out in an hour, no leaks at all...how do you get 1200 off a 68/3k?????????????????????????????????????????

:rolleyes: get somebody who knows how to properly tune a cocker to take a look at yours... lots of mismatched aftermarket parts, with bad tuning make for a lousy cocker... you'd be suprised how well a properly tuned stock cocker performs... hehe

---Fred

Dern
01-02-2003, 01:57 AM
If you want a nice long drop forward, get a Dead On Pro Blade drop. It's long, should fit a fat/stubby or a 114 tank, and it has an on/off.
Here it is:

http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/031-7752.html

Or if you want it without an On/Off get this:

http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/031-7751-3.html

both come in all sorts of colors.

also, what helps long arms is a foregrip extender, making the RT PRO an even better choice for you, because it comes with one.

nerobro
01-02-2003, 11:09 AM
I'm a little guy who tends to run with a big tank. it's not been untill the last 8 months or so that I even owned a 68.

My cocker was run on a PMS minireg 1 114ci 3k... with their 4" drop forward. And my 114ci pvi maxflow was on the 4" sp drop forward. Quite comfortable if you ask me ;-)

I was recently converted by a buddy who ran his mag with an apoc 68/45 butted up to the back of the gripframe.

the 114's are still comfortable and playable for me ;-) But they really necessitate a small barrel. (go figure, I run with a 10-12 normally)

CRog075
01-02-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by FiRe
im not trying to insult anyone, but i just dont know why people put tanks on backwards. no offense but that just makes the emag look stupid

Soo...just because the majority put theres on frontwards, its right? :rolleyes:

There is no right way to put on a tank, so I guess you cant put it on verticle either, according to you :rolleyes:

Darkstorm
01-07-2003, 11:59 PM
I am talking to Air America and it seems like I may be able to do a deal with them. They are checking if they can do a special order for me. Trying for a 114/4500 with a 5yr hydro. I'll let you all know how it works out.

paintslinger
01-08-2003, 04:54 AM
im 6'2" and run a 68/3000 without a drop on my imp and i find it quite comfy. back before i got my growth spirt when i was only 5'5" i had a warped sportz cradle(basically a dz) on my mag with the same tank. but now im also considering getting a 88/45 tank and a small drop just so i dont have to fill as often.

dansim
01-08-2003, 07:52 AM
im 6'2" and use a 88/4500 raptor because thats what my budget said i could get(it was a killer deal):D

cphilip
01-08-2003, 09:26 AM
Well...I'm little but I like big trucks, big butts and big boobs if that means anything... :D

manike
01-08-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by cphilip
Well...I'm little but I like big trucks, big butts and big boobs if that means anything... :D

I must admit I was wondering why you were replying to this ;) :)

hehehe

manike

cphilip
01-08-2003, 10:30 AM
I figured your curiosity would get the best of you!

hey! I can start a new thread..."Little guys with little..." No best not...;)

dre1919
01-08-2003, 10:46 AM
We've got a guy on our team we call "The Hatetrain" whose 6' and 315. He uses a 114 ci nitro tank and he seems to like it. We call it "the 2 liter of air" since it's like the size of a Pepsi 2 liter. :p

kenshinkandon
01-08-2003, 11:39 AM
I'm 6foot 5inches and I run a PMI 45 45 with no drop just a ASA. I find that to be a nice length a little short for me but I am considering a 68 45 for a little more length.

I have no idea how some people can run small tanks with huge drops and still be able to play. I can't handle markers when there is a huge drop on them they just put the tank in the way of me trying to play.

theraidenproject
01-08-2003, 02:58 PM
6'2"+ (still growing). I run an 88/45 (long style) screw in on a DZ2, with the nice (not econo) Kapp adapter with on/off. I have the part that holds the on/off as close to the grip as possibile, in fact, I think it's going a little on th eangled part, actually. I've been thinking, actually, of getting a fat 88ci and a smaller drop.