PDA

View Full Version : milling a body rail, dremel type question.

EsPo
12-31-2002, 08:01 PM
i was thinking, i might get a dremel, and when i get a dremel, i can prolly mill my body rail right? also, would i need any special kind of dremel, or anything? i was thinking of buying a cheapo one from wal mart.. i think it would do the trick:D :p

Blazingace
12-31-2002, 10:24 PM
You might want to rethink that purchase. The Dremel is not quite powerful enough to do any serious milling with. I have tried to remove some aluminum with a dremel and the stones won't work. If you try one of the router bits it might. You would have to work extra hard to get the one side to be exactly like the other side. You might be better served by sending it out to get it milled for like 50 dollars instead of dropping that much on a dremel.

SilverFox
01-01-2003, 12:52 AM
the stones wont work because you can'tgrind aluminium. You would have to use a cutter type bit. It will be a hard thing to do by hand though because of the low torque.

serialZer0
01-01-2003, 02:08 AM
i have successfully made a few triggers and a flame body kit for the 68 classic right now with a dremel.. get a mill (high speed cutter) bit and play with it.. if nuthin else it's fun! i agree with the other guys tho.. I have a friend with a mill, and he mills it blank (like a slug body) and i carve it..

so now that i am done babbling, mill the raw aluminum to a "blank", and than carve it with the dremel. You should have no problems taking an exsisting body rail and carving it.. but as for making a rail from scratch i would say that the dremel lacks the precision needed for this..

my 2 centavos