PDA

View Full Version : Team looking for ATV or whatever to use as tank

Smoke
01-01-2003, 02:33 AM
The Crimson Men paintball team of Racine, Wi are currently looking for an affordable (from $1000 up to $1250) ATV, dune buggy, WHATEVER, to make into a tank. We would like to fit at least 3 people inside. We have searched the net and locally, but have had no luck. If ANYBODY out there knows how and where we can get something to make into a tank, PLEASE let me know. We are hoping to bring it to Paintball Sam's Big Game in May this year. We need to start construction soon, but are on a tight budget. If anybody has any info, please share it.

magmonkey
01-01-2003, 09:44 AM
I have thought about this before and I think your best bet is to look for a badly beaten vw beetle (old school) with a decent undercaridge and do a search on the web for vw dune buggy parts
I found brand new sand rail frames for like $1500.00 so i imagine that you could come across a used one for alot less
and I think you could make one sweet tank out of it

Darkstorm
01-01-2003, 10:17 AM
There is a good go cart that you can get at the sporting good stores now for under $1k(new) that has a frame that makes it easy to convert to a tank but still have something the kids can play with. However, it will only hold two people. And of course you will not have to pay the extra insurance. Have you checked the tanker websites?

I believe this will get you most places you want to go.
http://www.armoredfistpaintball.com/home.htm

Of course you can go the low end route.
http://www.geocities.com/hickwars/painttank2.html :eek:

I am not a tanker; I just know some.

FESTUS33
01-01-2003, 10:51 AM
automagfreak
the VW thing is not a good idea, Nikki would never go for
that. I've got a link to Argo ATV, in the september "02"
issue of North American Hunter they advertised they're
2 passenger Conquest for $500.00. I don't know what all
that includes, I would assume you'd have to put a motor in it.
www.argoatv.com
BTW Jim sold his Tank at Shatnerball, it's in California
now.
Rick

cris8762
01-01-2003, 02:01 PM
http://www.armoredfistpaintball.com/Hump_Wagon.jpg

Smoke
01-01-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the replys, but Rick you're right. We tried to use a car, but Nikki turned us down. I've checked armored first seveal times, and haven't had alot of help. Rick, I'll check the site you gave me, maybe I'll have some better luck.

FESTUS33
01-01-2003, 03:59 PM
Keep trying and good luck, Big Game won't
be the same without armour :(

Darkstorm
01-01-2003, 04:05 PM
You could always try Viper or Pacman, they may know some good people to point you to. Send them mail or post on their boards.

http://boards.eesite.com/board.cgi?boardset=viper007
http://boards.eesite.com/board.cgi?boardset=damoj

Smoke
01-01-2003, 04:23 PM
I think we finally found a tank!!!

the JoKeR
01-01-2003, 05:28 PM
I've seen a 6 wheeler or two for sale on Hwy 32, on the north side of Racine, not too far from Blackrain's site. West side of the road. It was south of Oak Creek, by a mile or two, if that helps narrow it down a little.

Smoke
01-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Yeah, me and my friend checked it out yesterday, but didn't see anything. We looked all over, but no luck. Oh well, it's probably pretty expensive, being a 6 wheeler. I think we're just gonna go with the go-kart.

Fred
01-01-2003, 05:43 PM
Ever consider a golf cart?

you can find them used, but I don't know the price range.

wouldn't take much to mock one up like a mini-APC, and you might find one that will hold 3-4 people safely.

---Fred

Smoke
01-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Only problem with a golf cart is that they have like 8 batteries. Pain to charge 'em. And they are slightly off centered, and I wouldn't wanna have one tip over.

cphilip
01-01-2003, 05:56 PM
There are Gasoline Golf carts. They start on demand. Soon as you press the Gas pedal they start up and go. We have one at work that is sort of a work cart kinda thing with dump bed on the back and a complete plastic cover the encloses it if you want.

However in the past most places have banned anything with a gas motor beyond these Golf carts and have some severe restrictions on speed and such. I think that limits you to not using Four Wheelers and Cars and such. Too much risk of running people over. I would wonder if they would even let you use a go cart for that mater.

Course you shoulda tried walking around at World Cup with the way them guy was driving them Golf Carts around. It was pure hell. I am surprised no one got hurt out there. They are gonna need to rethink that whole thing and make em stay on maybe there own trails outa the way or something.

SpongeBobSquarePants
01-01-2003, 06:04 PM
If your die hard on 3 go with the electric golf cart it is less manitence then the gas cphill was talking about and you can add a option instead of where golf clubs normally sit to have 2 extra seats there. Also you could buy a gator the 2 seater gas witha dumb bed but that would be expensive

FESTUS33
01-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Wow that was wierd
I tried to find this thread on AO and could'nt,
I minimized AO and linked in thru my E-Mail
There it Was.
Went back out and tried to come thru AO again,
NOTHING!!! Backed out of Paintball Talk, Came
Back into Paintball Talk and THERE IT WAS?
Right on page one where I expected to find it
in the first place.
Like I said WIERD!
Rick:eek::confused:

Smoke
01-01-2003, 06:28 PM
Hmmmmmm.........odd.......
But anyways, I think Nikki will allow the go cart. I mean, it's smaller than a 6 wheeler, so it sould be ok. Right??

FESTUS33
01-01-2003, 06:34 PM
Yeah I don't think she'd have a problem
with that. That Argo Conquest is a 6X6,
did you check that one out or not.
Rick:eek:

Smoke
01-01-2003, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I checked it out. I asked 'em for a quote. Probably gonna be pretty expensive, well, for us at least.

Darkstorm
01-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Bingo, thats the cart I was talking about. Same thing has been used here in Texas. Some bolts, plywood, and paint; you have one little pain for the other team to deal with. Have fun.

Smoke
01-02-2003, 12:17 AM
Thank You!! I hope we can turn this little guy into a huge beast!!

AutomagRT1483
01-02-2003, 12:51 AM
Me too:D

Smoke
01-02-2003, 12:54 AM
Uh, yeah! Him too!! (just kidding Geoff!!!) :D

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
01-02-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by automagfreek
I think we finally found a tank!!!

That thing rocks!!

My friend's little brother got it for Christmas and it took the both of us (equaling easily over 200lbs) up a near vertical dirtbike jump..It would work very well.

Smoke
01-02-2003, 01:13 AM
Interesting.....well, from the sound of it, this thing should work out realy well!!! I'll put pics up as soon as me and Geoff get A) enough money B) get the thing built. And if anybody on AO is from Wisconsin, look for the tank at Big Game 1 this May........

pbzmag
01-02-2003, 01:31 AM
I remember BIG5 sell carts once. Don't know if they sell them still. I remember that Tippman made one.

pbzmag

Smoke
01-02-2003, 01:34 AM
I believe Tippmann's kart is called the Hellhound. 10 barrel gatling gun, and a mortar on the back. Maybe me and Geoff will do that to ours someday.......

Dern
01-02-2003, 01:46 AM
I was reading up on this thread and was wondering what the tank is actually gonna be used for. Is it for a big competition between other tanks or something? anyways, I doubt you could do it but a minigun like the hellhound would just plain rock!

Smoke
01-02-2003, 01:51 AM
Yes, it can be done, my cousin already has the blueprints. All we gotta do is mount it, but I don't know if we will, yet. Anyways, the tank will most likely be used for Big Game and scenario games. Hey, can't have too many tanks in a game, can you??

SteveD
01-02-2003, 11:07 AM
Jim, who ran the tank at Sam's, found a deal out west on rice harvesters. They are tracked vehicles that are pretty bare but looked easy enough to build on. He posts a bit on http://www.armoredfistpaintball.com

SteveD

Smoke
01-02-2003, 05:05 PM
Yep, diesel crawlers they're called. About $1400 for a bare unit. I already looked into it, but thanks anyways!! I think for now, because of our budget, we'll stick with the go-cart.