PDA

View Full Version : cocker question

rikkter
01-01-2003, 02:16 PM
i was thinking. why does the 3 way vent the air in the trigger pull when it cocks? it doesn't have to vent the air. granted its only a little bit of air. but it still doesn't have to. why not gas it up, pressurse the ram and 3way, then shut off the air flow to it and make it stop venting. then wouldn't it use the same air over and over and cause a SLIGHT better gas effiency? not much but still. just wondering why it vents when it doesn't have to.

billmi
01-01-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by rikkter
i was thinking. why does the 3 way vent the air in the trigger pull when it cocks? it doesn't have to vent the air. granted its only a little bit of air. but it still doesn't have to. why not gas it up, pressurse the ram and 3way, then shut off the air flow to it and make it stop venting. then wouldn't it use the same air over and over and cause a SLIGHT better gas effiency? not much but still. just wondering why it vents when it doesn't have to.

Because it does have to vent the air. When the ram moves back to cock, air pressure is applied to the front of the ram, and the air in the back of the ram has to be vented out, otherwise the ram would not move. The ram will only move from one side to the other with the pressure on each side is uneven. If the pressures are equal, it will be balanced, and just sit still.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

big E kingpin
01-01-2003, 02:30 PM
i would think it does need too, if you shut off the vent everytime the ram exhusted air, it would just build up untill either the 3 way didnt move or a hose bursts. not dure but that is what kinda makes sence to me

rikkter
01-01-2003, 03:38 PM
then what about running a hose to the place it vents to the LPR and kinda making it the air can't enter the hose from the LPR, but air can enter LPR from the hose? since it would be equal pressure right? wouldn't that just cycle the air?

i also thought about the pressure in the hoses with the method i said earlier. the pressure would spread out, its not gonna 'group' together to go to one hose to the other

bill, but then again something else came to my mind. if the ram in the back had to be vented out while the front part pushs to recock, then why can't it vent or push the air or like compress the air into the front hose ram? would that still disrupt the whol ebalance thing and only cause it to move half way til the air evens on both sides?

Conqueror
01-01-2003, 03:41 PM
If you ran a hose back to the LPR instead of venting the air, the system's pressure would equalize on both sides of the ram after one or two shots and the gun would stop cycling until you degassed and regassed it.

CQ

rikkter
01-01-2003, 03:47 PM
yeah thats what i was thinking it would do. but shouldn't there be a way to use that air instead of venting it?

Kevmaster
01-01-2003, 04:36 PM
you could use the air for an air assist mod...

Conqueror
01-01-2003, 05:06 PM
Been done. www.smokingnun.com

CQ

billmi
01-01-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by rikkter
bill, but then again something else came to my mind. if the ram in the back had to be vented out while the front part pushs to recock, then why can't it vent or push the air or like compress the air into the front hose ram? would that still disrupt the whol ebalance thing and only cause it to move half way til the air evens on both sides?

As my physics teacher was fond of saying, "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

We can store energy by compressing air, we release that energy, making it do work (moving parts, propelling the paintball). Once the air has expanded, we're done with it.

What you are talking about is trying to re-compress the air. Where are you going to get the energy to do that? By expanding more air from our tank? Energy can't be created or destroyed, and considering that energy will be lost to ineficiency, it would be kind of silly to try and use compressed air from our tank in order to compress air.

On the other hand, at a fill station, where we have a large supply of compressed air, it can make sense to use it to compress air to higher pressures, as in a booster pump.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills