PDA

View Full Version : Bad Hydrotesting?

nerobro
01-02-2003, 06:58 AM
Well here's my story. This began just before the IAO. Continued through schaterball and is almost concluded with now.....

so.. I had two tanks come to me that needed hydro. Well one that passed it's date and a "new" tank that needed hydro. so i searched around. AA wanted $45 to hydro... that seemed nuts seeing that BBT wanted $30 back when the PVI maxflow needed hydro last.

I brought them there 2-3 weeks before the IAO. Pleanty of time for a hydro.. Well IAO came and went.. and then I finally got a call for the tanks.

I picked them up. My raptor had a damaged guage, the labels they placed on the tanks were virtually unreadable. Now.. 6 months later the ink used to write the date and code for the hydrotesters has completely faded. The epoxy used to cover them was placed on like.. with a popsicle stick, it was ugly and nasty.

Well big deal.. i bent the guage back into shape. so it now functions. and other than the ugly labels for hydro they were "ok"

I went to mount the 68ci raptor back on my cocker. found out the fitting I carfully selected to clear my cradle... didn't clear anymore. I took the fitting off only to find out that the fitting had been snapped off, and had been filed to look ok again. the fitting was toast.

Now I have to resort to a two elbow solution to get the hose in any kind of nice place to play with while on the field. it doens't look bad, but it' s defintley not what I had before. to say the least i wasn't happy.

I finally called them and told them about it. the guy who runs the shop. He was nice and asked me what he could do for me. I told him basicly to scold the hydrotesters. The tanks worked, and I was ok with that. Well... then came schatnerball.

I took my PVI maxflow to schatner. I had arranged with muzikman to use his e-mag. I was going to drop my maxlfow on there..... Well we took the tank to get filled, and we were graced with hissing air. From between the brass valve and the tank.

Well I took the tank back to the scuba shop... and they took the valve off and put it back. There had been a string from a tag in between the tank and valve..... they took it out and said "it's ok here ya go" And sent me on my way. I was gratefull for them doing this for me.. and took them at their word.

So last weekend I took the tank to CCP. And got it filled. Well I tried to get it filled. they started filling it.. and it started hissing from betweent he tank and valve again. I was really upset. So that sunday I brought the tank to the scuba shop. We were there.. and removed the valve.. at the desk, instead of in the back room. We found teflon tape, a destroyed buran-n o-ring. TEFLON TAPE of all things, that has no buisness in a tank. EVER. Behind the rotten o-ring and teflon tape we found a crack that spanned 1/3 of the distance around the valve.

Well she wouldn't admit responcabilty and kept pressing that I had no proof of anything. I was getting upset and was standing my ground. We got the information for the hydrotesting service they used.... and eventually terminal_err asked me to leave. (probally a good thing) Given the situation if he hadn't the police or owner of the shop may have had to remove me. Somebody had to take responcability here.......

So monday I took the info they gave me and tried calling the hydrotesters. The number led me to a spanish speaking ladys place of residence. They had seccond number listed on their website (as an office number) i called that and got a modem or fax machine. So I called the scuba shop again. It came down to the scuba shops owner calling the hydroshops owner's cellphone and leaving a voicemail. The day ended without resolution.

So.. I called another few hydrotesters, to see if this hydro shop did things properly. it comes down to that the other shops would have sent the valve back to me after doing a cursory inspection. they woul dhave also placed a new o-ring on the tank to ensure things would work when aired up.

This crack, is a problem that could easily lead to tank seperation from the valve. This means someone has to do with a 2-3kpsi rocket. and that someone would have been me.... and i wouldn't by typing this now.

I need advice... any legal routes I might pursue? Or help spreading the word about this particuar hydro service.

FooTemps
01-02-2003, 07:13 AM
I'll answer your title and say... YES!

I'm sorry but teflon tape, broken o rings, ruined fittings, A CRACK IN THE VALVE, and other stuff I probably missed means that they were freakin abusing your valve! I'm not sure about any procedures on nailing these people but I'm sure that you can get some compensation for your gear.

Kevmaster
01-02-2003, 12:25 PM
man, im sorry, ive used www.Hydro2Go.com in the past with good results. My field sends all of our hydro work to them. Again, sorry about the bad work

hardr0ck68
01-02-2003, 12:33 PM
you gonna need to take either the scuba shop or hydro testers to small claims court. Show them/tell them everything you presented here plus costs of replacement parts/shipping/every other little cost these people have cost you (i would say around $500 or so). make a point about the danger they exposed you to, maybe even bring along some articles of what happens it a tank seperates. but yeah just go prepared and blast them, i believe if they are issued an order to come and dont go they dont even get the chance to defend themselves. but yeah then just take your $500 and be happy once more.

ezrunner
01-02-2003, 12:42 PM
I had a hydro experience. This had a somewhat decent ending.

Before World Cup I sent in 12 tanks from my team to Crossfire
for hydro testing. When they quoted us 2 days, they didn't
know I was sending a dozen tanks.

Apparently Chris Havloc at Crossfire had to lean on the
hydrotester pretty heavy to get my tanks back to me for world
cup. To make things right he gave us a discount on the price,
down to his cost, I think he probably ate some shipping
charges.

The hydro tester did not gas up any of the tanks since
every one of them had leaking air fittings upon return.

I spoke to Mr. Havloc at world cup, he was very good about it
and I understand the situation. He even sold one of
my team guys a tank at a great price so he had something to
use for XBall that week.

Moral of the story, even when a reputable company (like crossfire)
is involved, production delays and other slowdowns happen
and you have to test it all yourself.

We do carry dangerous equipment onto the field and
have to respect that. I know of a field owner who had an
ACI tank / reg seperation that almost took his thumb off at
his wrist.

All of the tanks we got back were well hydro'ed, the tag
was a stamped metal tag that was expoxied on the bottle
very evenly. Epoxy w/ a tag is gonna be ugly :-)

We did have enough time before world cup to test them all
and make sure we had working tanks so we were lucky.

Hydro to go markets themselves very heavily for their services
so I would suggest them since they seem to do a lot of quick
turn arounds and if there is a problem that is their primary
business so they would be apt to make it right quickly.

Crossfire did the job, they make great tanks, that is their
focus, for hydro I would go to someone who has that as their
focus. Nothing against crossfire, they run a great
operation and put out the best preset tank.

I have an AKA Pblock Merlin (Cocker) that has a low
pressure crossfire on it with a sidewinder reg and it shoots
duplicates over the chrono. My mag used to have shoot down
till I put a crossfire tank on it.

-rob

Kevmaster
01-02-2003, 01:05 PM
if you are going to take this to small claims court, talk with a PTI Certified Airsmith. These guys know the rules and can help explain to you(and then the court) what went wrong. If you can find a guy at your field or locally that would be best...but at minuimum there are guys on the net who can help you out(myself included)

cphilip
01-02-2003, 01:15 PM
Sad....

Well I do know that BradAGD does have a source that is real good for Hydrotesting and if anyone needs one perhaps give him a shout about it. I think he is getting good pricing too.

nerobro
01-02-2003, 01:27 PM
I found a local shop that I"m going to use... I'll review them when my tanks get back. $15 a tank. and they clearcoat the labels on. so the tanks come out looking factory fresh.. .... I like that.

They also said they inspect the parts that come off for obvious flaws.

irbodden
01-02-2003, 01:32 PM
No clue on legal actions, but tell me why you took it to BBT? They are morons, and the one is Vernon Hills is filled with crack heads.

I would have spent the extra $15 for Air America, Dan is a good guy :)

nerobro
01-02-2003, 02:26 PM
this was three or more years ago.. back when HEavy D was still at bbt on touhy/vernon hills.

They did a great job. They even sent it back to be re-hydroed when one place failed the visual. They had the tank re-coated, and re-tested. So it would pass visual and pass the actuall pressure test.

If you get a skater at a paintball shop, ask the next guy. Becuase yes... they are crackheads/potheads/litterally cracked skulls.