PDA

View Full Version : Body Rail Sculpting

Snertz
01-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Hey, I just wanted some opinions on the body rail that I just finished sculpting.

All work was done freehand with a dremel tool. It took about 6 hours to get the basic shape down, polishing took another few hours.

Oh and what do you think my mag is worth? It started as a stock pwr feed tko mag, stats at bottom of page...

Pics

Whole gun
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid45/pfd0575534aac2b82c85277a86cf42e90/fcd60246.jpg

The rail
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid45/p5375241049d373dbb03508a0de14bbec/fcd60248.jpg

End of the Rail
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid45/p611a19627797a77d507a8366ef832253/fcd6024c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid45/p5af7d299ed8b43fc243af543996f1edb/fcd6024a.jpg

Derman2k
01-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Oh my lord...I need to get a dremel haha
Would you sell that rail? Or make one if i sent you mine?

petefol
01-03-2003, 11:30 PM
how about some close ups of the rail?

magman007
01-03-2003, 11:41 PM
it looks very nice, but alot like tyson machado's style, i like it, just dont encroach on business, that would be mean!

Snertz
01-04-2003, 12:11 AM
Hehe, yea, I actually saw a pic of another mag with almost the same rear end, and pretty much fell in love after I choked up on my orange soda. I could never figure out who did that rail, or who owned the gun, but I knew I had to have something like that.

I'm not too sure about doing other rails, since I don't really have the time to, plus, like magman said, if I went with this style, it would be pretty much like copying someone else...but I may be able to do anything else...

Derman2k
01-04-2003, 12:19 AM
Well...since you won't make one...could you explain how maybe?

personman
01-04-2003, 12:19 AM
Wow.. thats beautiful.. it would look awesome with a chrome intelliframe.. you should look into it.. but wow thats pretty sweet.. I need to get stuff for my dremel but I think its too old to do anything :rolleyes:

Snertz
01-04-2003, 12:26 AM
Yea, I was thinking of writing a "How to" page, kinda like my " how to intelli the stock frame" thing. But what sucks is that I didn't get in process pics, but I'll wing it somehow.

Yea I'm actually getting a hyper frame, stripping and polishing the crap outta the thing. That's gonna be sweet, and get a chrome intelli as a backup.

Hmmm...I wonder if the X-Valve will polish up decently...

Derman2k
01-04-2003, 12:32 AM
You should think about starting a business like tyson...that rail is amazing. you should try and do somethin with the trigger of the intelli when you get it

Snertz
01-04-2003, 12:35 AM
Yea, my next project is making a new trigger. I got some Lexan (Polycarbonate I think) from work, and will make a clear fang-esque flamey trigger.

Derman2k
01-04-2003, 12:42 AM
You should post some pics of that too when its done...Now I can't wait to get my dremel....man...i was gonna get the Xvalve instead of a dremel...but wow...yea i think i'll get the x first...cosmetics are last priority

Dern
01-04-2003, 12:47 AM
I must admit it. That rail it THE most beautiful awesome cool best body rail I have ever seen! Ahgghh I needa get a dremel, some time, and dremel practice!

Snertz
01-04-2003, 01:04 AM
Hehe, thanks.

Yea, I had a lot of time and no cash, but then I saw the dremel... :D

Learning how to cut the alum isn't too hard, I learned how to in 15 min, prior to cutting this thing, and did it all in a day.(I was pretty nervous cutting up the only body rail I had, with relatively no pratice at all!)

The key is to have a really steady hand, and go slowly, with a high enough bit speed.

Sinistarr
01-04-2003, 01:41 AM
Man, that is sweeeeet!
Love the lines! But, we do need to see some closeups of the rail and maybe some of the rail off of the marker.

G

Creative Mayhem
01-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Nice job!! I know you said you didn't have the time to do so, but it would be bad form to cut in on Tyson's business without contacting him. From the small amount of conversations I have had with Tyson, he seems like a good enough guy, and he would probably let you share the AO custom work load.

I love to see new custom work by fellow AO members, and that my friend, is a very nice piece of work. Keep it up and update us when the whole thing is done.

C Mayhem

shartley
01-04-2003, 09:37 AM
I like it. I may do something like it to my RT Pro this winter, but since I like the sight rails, I will incorporate the lines into the body rail… try to make it a smooth transition. You have inspired me. :)

warpfeedmod
01-04-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Creative Mayhem
Nice job!! I know you said you didn't have the time to do so, but it would be bad form to cut in on Tyson's business without contacting him. From the small amount of conversations I have had with Tyson, he seems like a good enough guy, and he would probably let you share the AO custom work load.

I love to see new custom work by fellow AO members, and that my friend, is a very nice piece of work. Keep it up and update us when the whole thing is done.

C Mayhem

stupid question and I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here, but who is to tell him he can't go making his own rails to compete with Tyson? Sure stealing a similar design/etc might not be a good idea, but whats stopping him from coming up with his own and offering his services? That would just mean competition between him and tyson and possibly lower prices? Or just more selection? This happens in business all the time and I don't see any written law that says there can't be competition in business. I say it looks good and go for it. If theres alot of calling for it then by all means take advantage of it. I just don't see how it's bad form? It's business, it's life. It happens all the time.

Snertz
01-04-2003, 05:57 PM
Yea, I wouldn't copy his style, since that wouldn't be too cool, and wouldn't be something I could be proud of. I also doubt that I'll start making these since I have like no time, due to the fact that I'm a full time high school student.

Maybe if the right offer came along...I'll probably end up doing a design the customer comes up with, nothing set in stone, no template. That would be cool and unique.

P.s. I'm working on getting some pics of the rail off the gun and close ups.

TheJester
01-05-2003, 04:06 PM
you use a set of those carbide tips for the cuts along the side? i've been longing for 1, i've done a fair about of polishing (all by hand though, but hey, built up a nice shoulder from it). i know that you can get carbide cutting tips for them, that what you used for the actual carving? or just grinding stones?

Kevmaster
01-05-2003, 04:35 PM
that is really hot. i like it a LOT

oh, and as long as he doesnt make direct copys of Tyson, theres no reason he should haev to get permission to do this for people on AO from Tyson....