PDA

View Full Version : SFL Accident.... =(

rdb123
01-04-2003, 07:06 PM
Ok, well let's just say that I dropped my SFL without a barrel or breach on and it somewhat deformed the front part where the threads are so it is a slight oval. Now, it is VERY hard to thread a barrel back in and stuff.

Anyone out there who can fix this?

Thanks

-Ron

Raptor3359
01-04-2003, 07:11 PM
u could try to mash it back in place, but it in a vise with cloth on the side so u dont damage the gun and go little by little so see if it works.

Python14
Drop it again, just reverse everything so it fixes the oval-ation of your SFL

....or take it to an airsmith an let him figure it out. So if it gets ruined, he will normally be the one to replace it.

If all else fails, which it shouldn't, send it to me and I'll put it out to pasture so it can live the rest of it's days in comfort.

Load SM5
Um...ouch Sounds like you may have to send that in. I don't know what they can do about that.

rdb123
01-04-2003, 07:13 PM
Yeah, this really sucks... worst part is that since they only made 50, I dont think they'd have a spare pewter body to just give me....

Should I send to AGD or shocktech or does anyone have a recommendation for a GREAT airsmith out there?

Thanks

-Ron

Laser
01-04-2003, 07:13 PM
Man that truely blows

Load SM5
01-04-2003, 07:14 PM
Try Airgun first...

Raptor3359
01-04-2003, 07:15 PM
probably have to send it to shocktech. I cant beleive that the body it would bend to easy

edit: listen to load, he probably knows more about this then me

rdb123
01-04-2003, 07:18 PM
@Raptor, the body is made out of aluminum so it somewhat bends easily. I had a 68/4500 tank attached too and it fell a good 6 feet because I placed it on top of a locker that I thought wouldn't budge. However, some kid came out of the bathroom and nudged the thing by accident. The locker moved forward and my gun fell.

Edit: it's a slight oval. By just looking at it, you can't tell. But when you try to thread a barrel in, you can only turn it 360 degrees and then part of the barrel hits the body and it wont move in further.

=(

-Ron

shartley
01-04-2003, 07:21 PM
It is ruined beyond repair… put it in a box and send it to me. ;) (j/k)

Raptor3359
01-04-2003, 07:21 PM
u could try to heat it a little to make it a little soft and try to bend it back then put your barrel into so when it cools it stays round. your going to have to try some stuff out to try and fix.

FreshmanBob
01-04-2003, 07:35 PM
You'd have to hold a blow torch to the aluminum to make it soft so i wouldnt try that, if its dented it should undetentable, call shocktech, i bet they can help.

TNS2k2
01-04-2003, 07:41 PM
Man.....Call shocktech and see what they can do, maybe they can give you a place to send it.

Wait untill Magman007 sees this thread. He is gonna be prayin that it will get fixed.

magman007
01-04-2003, 07:45 PM
OH LORDY LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!!!

good luck gettin it fixed man...

we may have just made sfl's rarer...

manike
01-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Yeouch, a 6' fall onto the front of the gun...

Some how I don't think it was designed to take that and thus won't be covered under warranty, so no-one is going to have a 'pewter body' to just give you :(

I would suggest asking if AGD can look at it by calling them.

If not Doc Nickel is famous for being able to repair pretty much anything that got broke, and I would trust his skills over most to gently bend it back into shape. I wouldn't go heating it or hitting it with a hammer just yet.

If not Doc then maybe Punisher. Both of which do occasionally browse these forums, you could PM or e-mail them.

Can you take some pictures so we can see more of the problem?

Can you screw a barrel all the way in or not?

manike

rdb123
01-04-2003, 08:19 PM
Well I can screw one in now, but it is really tight. I kinda tried to bend the metal myself at the field. I moved it 1mm and that was enough to allow the barrel to screw in. It threads properly.

I'll get pics up within the next 24 hours.

Mainly, the problem is that it was bent enough into an oval that the exterior part hits up against the boomstick when you screw it in.

EDIT: and by "give," of course I was assuming that I would pay for it. However, since they don't make SFL emags anymore, I was thinking that they wouldn't have a spare body around anymore to sell me.

-Ron

manike
01-04-2003, 08:30 PM
If it threads in completely and the gun shoots straight I would be very tempted to just suffer it. Trying to bend it back may just make things worse.

Depending on wether it was ovaled from the top or the side you might have better chances at levering it back without doing more damage. I'd be tempted to use an old barrel or brass bar the right diameter to GENTLY bend it back to shape, while holding the gun securely and safely in a vice (wrapped in leather to protect it from the jaws).

manike

rdb123
01-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Ah, ok I might try that. It's bent down in the top. You can't notice it when you actually look at the gun though... It only becomes apparent when you try to thread a barrel in.

-Ron

manike
01-04-2003, 08:43 PM
OK, that's probably the safest direction to try and bend it back, but be very careful not to 'break it's back' and bend it at the module recess. That would be very bad.

I'd hold just the very front section, in front of the module recess in the vice, you should be able to put some leather in and clamp squarely on the sides of the front. By just holding the front if it does slip, the body just slips, and you don't end up leaning on the whole thing at the module recess and bending it into a bannana...

Tweak it up very gentle with a piece of pipe that fits into the area that is bent down, but do not put it into the barrel threads... because you don't want to crush them down.

If you do need to bend up the threaded part also then you will need to use an old barrel loosely screwed in but I'd be very careful doing that.

It sounds like it only needs to go up a fraction.

manike

FESTUS33
01-05-2003, 02:05 AM
Listen to manike
As a machinist I can tell you,
He know's whereof He speak's.
Rick:eek:

PsychoBaller
01-05-2003, 02:08 AM
.......ouchies ouchies ouchies.... not good Ron.... not good.....

~da "suffering for others" baller

Potatoboy
01-05-2003, 02:26 AM
Sorry, It sucks a whole lot.

You've gotten some real good suggestions so I won't bother to say them again, although I do like the "deal with it" scenario.

I just wanted to say that I can see Tom sitting in his office reading this, shaking his head and muttering to himself, "I told them I made them out of Steel for a reason.. but they didn't believe me."

warpfeedmod
01-05-2003, 09:28 AM
simplest thing i can think of is to drop all the barrels now so they're out of shape and "match". Then you can tell everyone you have the only single rare SFL :p

j/k other then that I'd suggest sending it in. I wouldn't do it myself. Perhaps a new body? I dunno

rdb123
01-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Well, I contacted Doc over at Doc's Machine and he said in the best case scenario, it will cost 20 dollars + shipping; worst case would cost 45 dollars + shipping.

So, it looks like I'll have it fixed in a week or two. Thanks for the suggestions guys =)

-Ron

hardr0ck68
01-05-2003, 11:26 AM
the good Doc is awsome, and yeah remember enough $$ fixes anything!! but i know someone who wishes he had asked for a gunstand for x-mas :p good luck with gettin her fixed, SFL's are seriously nice markers

meat
01-05-2003, 12:22 PM
so ... do we get to see a picture of this "highly customized" sfl? ;)

sniper1rfa
01-05-2003, 12:39 PM
interesting. your going to have ask him what he does to fix it.
:)

personally i would probably have ended up re-threading it so at least the threads arent oval anymore.

manike
01-05-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by sniper1rfa
interesting. your going to have ask him what he does to fix it.
:)

personally i would probably have ended up re-threading it so at least the threads arent oval anymore.

It doesn't sound like the threads are a problem. There is a kind of 'shroud' before the threads start. I suspect it's this that has just gotten knocked a little oval in the fall.

manike

sniper1rfa
01-05-2003, 02:27 PM
ah, that i didnt know.

rdb123
01-05-2003, 09:11 PM
Yes, manike is correct.

I bent it around myself this morning and made it so it threads easier. However, half way through threading, it still becomes a little tight because of the metal rubbing up against each other. I'll still send it out to Doc so I can get it professionally rebent hehe.

-Ron

manike
01-05-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by rdb123
However, half way through threading, it still becomes a little tight because of the metal rubbing up against each other. I'll still send it out to Doc so I can get it professionally rebent hehe.

You may have to accept that it will never be 100% perfect again.

If it threads in, shoots/points straight and doesn't look unsightly then be happy :)

manike

Doc Nickel
01-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Just for the record, I MUCH prefer "unfixed" damage.

Meaning it's almost always easier to repair damage like that- especially with fewer overall scuffs and dings to the anno- if you don't fool with it before sending it in to get it fixed.

No offense to those involved, it's just that I've occasionally found the owner has "straightened" something that hadn't been bent in the first place.

And I've lost count of how much JB-Weld, epoxy and LocTite I've had to scrape and chisel out of stripped feed neck holes, stripped grip-frame screwholes and so forth. :D

(Trust me, it doesn't hold and won't last. Have it fixed right the first time, so whoever does the repair doesn't have to patch the break and clean off the remnants of the old fix.)

Doc.

magman007
01-05-2003, 11:17 PM
doc, i expect to see a whiteboard about this incedent! could be a funny one! lol, good to see you post again!

rdb123
01-05-2003, 11:17 PM
Ah, all right. Sorry about that Doc. I CAN tell you though that none of the threads were damaged or stripped. =)

I'll send my marker to you within the next 5 days.

Thanks

-Ron

Edit: @magman007, whiteboard? Lol. Well let's just see how you react when/if your beautiful SFL gets damaged. ;)

FooTemps
01-05-2003, 11:39 PM
my goodness... DOC IS BACK! AFTER ALL THESE MONTHS DOC IS BACK!!!!!!

magman007
01-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by rdb123

Edit: @magman007, whiteboard? Lol. Well let's just see how you react when/if your beautiful SFL gets damaged. ;)

one problem, it wont. i wont let it! that thing has 2 places, deathgrip in my hand, or safe in my markerbag. no where else!

magman007
01-05-2003, 11:45 PM
can you circle in paint, where the damage is?

rdb123
01-05-2003, 11:48 PM
Pics...

Basically the damage, if you are looking down the barrel of the marker, is between 12 oclock and 2 oclock.

I put a vague circle over the area. Hard to photograph since the flash reflects. I tried my best and it is more noticable in person. On the first pic, the indentation on the left side is just the flash reflection.

rdb123
01-05-2003, 11:49 PM
...Enjoy!

-Ron

rdb123
01-05-2003, 11:50 PM
...and yes the gash on the top is part of the damage as well. Any of you professional photographers have any tips for taking a better quality photo?

Thanks

magman007
01-06-2003, 12:38 AM
dude, that bites, sorry bro

PsychoBaller
01-06-2003, 12:43 AM
DeathGrip is definately a great way to describe how the gun is in my hand when using..... otherwise... its wrapped in bubble wrap after every game...then put into a box with pillows on ever side... then sealed with Ducttape... then loaded onto a horse drawn carraige.. and led back to my house...

~da "somewhere above ur heads" baller....