PDA

View Full Version : Do you need the Valve Guide?

StygShore
01-05-2003, 01:13 AM
Do you need that little notch in the back of the rail? Or in the base of the Micromag Body for the valve?

I have seen a few guns ( like the Chimera ) that appear to have milled that area off the gun, and just left a nub there to support the valve.

I am lookgin at really chopping up a Micromag body, and wanted to lose part of the rear rail that has the notch in it, is this possible? Any detrimental effects?

Thanks

Chris

redlaser666
01-05-2003, 01:48 AM
I have a micro, that part is just there to help align the valve and hold it in place before you put the field strip screw. The only problem that chopping that section might cause is making the valve harder to get alignd with the field strip screw hole. If you dont mind that, go ahead and cut it of, once the screw is in place there is no diference.

StygShore
01-05-2003, 11:22 AM
OK, I have a raw Micro body I am getting cut up, and the valve just barely doesnt fit right in in the gun, so chopping this section off will help out a lot.

Anyone know if its possible to get the metal guide pin out of the valve since I wont need it anymore?

Chris

Kevmaster
01-05-2003, 05:03 PM
i would strongly suggest that you leave it. it will also take some of the force needed to hold the valve into the gun when there is 800psi going into it. the field strip screw wont do it all. you may have problems with the gun if you remove it

StygShore
01-05-2003, 05:16 PM
Well, that's 1 for yes, and 1 for no, figured I would get more response on this being it's the Automag tech forum...

Has anyone cut the Guide Slot off and had any problems, so far I'm just getting guesses from people on what would happen.

Thanks

Chris

Dayspring
01-05-2003, 05:25 PM
You have to think about it. It's there for a reason. If there were no reason, Tom and AGD wouldn't have designed it into the Mag.

Blennidae
01-05-2003, 05:35 PM
I always thought it was a safety device. In case your field strip screw sheared, the z lock pin would prevent you from getting a valve in the eye.

Kevmaster
01-05-2003, 06:06 PM
yeh, didnt even think about the double saftey issue in case the field strip screw...well...strips!