PDA

View Full Version : 3-man team?

Brak
01-05-2003, 01:54 PM
my friends and i are thinking of making a 3 man team (not enough cash to enter as a 5 or 10 man), and me, being the one who is supposed to know the most about paintball, have decided to take it upon myself and do a bit of research.

so, anyone have experience in a 3-man team? if you do, throw it at me

01-05-2003, 02:02 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54132&highlight=3man+team

You can always search for more.

boss_automager
01-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Ive played two tourneys with a three-man team and we took second in both.Ya three man is cheaper than 5,7,or 10 man, and most tournament teams start as a three man team.

Most teams that play three man are normally teams that are just starting out so you shouldnt be playing any extremely talented players.If you play aggresive you should win against the average three-man team. Id go with two front players and one mid player in three man because most 3-man teams that win normally do.;) Hope this helps you.

blnk162
01-05-2003, 02:13 PM
have 3 guys shoot off the break, your bound to shoot one guy out, and then the game shouldnt last longer than 45 more seconds.

BajaBoy
01-05-2003, 02:25 PM
i dont have much 3man "info/skills" but i found it hard to find a 3 man turny. Me my best friend and our other close fried were a 3man but we had to take on two more playes.

this in in north jersey area im talking about tho

FalconGuy016
01-05-2003, 04:20 PM
heh thats my link :) *proud*
Basically the only thing I can think of that would be different is , there are no back players, lots of angle action

Will Wood
01-05-2003, 04:27 PM
I started out in the tourney scene doing 3 mans....

They are not nearly as fun as 5 mans. 10 man is too crazy for me though. 5 is a good number.

Well.. I would say have one player back.. one front, and one mid. It would be nice if you could start that front player off going to the 50, but if you can't do that, just have him goto the mid right away, then as soon as possible get him to that 50 to grab that flag. The rest is just up to your mad skill and perhaps luck.

E==Mag MAN
01-05-2003, 04:30 PM
I dont know about the 2 up 1 back as this is how 3 different teams iv played with have done. The problem with that is that if 1 front player is eliminated "If the team is smart they will push right up that side" and you are screwed. The best advice is watch the teams so when you play them you know what style. If you are playing a team you know sits back the whole game, play more agressive if you are playing a team that is very aggresive, 3 people burn on the break. My advice have a couple styles ready to fit the team you play. If you dont know how good they are play how you have been dont always mold your game every team you play. Use what ends up working the best.

Kevmaster
01-05-2003, 04:36 PM
i agree blnk....have 3 shooters off the break. you should get one guy and then youre set. the team who loses a guy first will 80% of the time lose the game...

SpongeBobSquarePants
01-05-2003, 05:33 PM
I see most of you don't play 3 mann do you? I play 3 mann a 3 mann tourney at least once a month or so. A 5 man team Firststrike has a field and host rookie 3 mann tournaments. Its not a good idea to have 3 guys sweetspoting of the break. The way i have found to work the best is on the break, have your fastest man go straight for the flag the back person and other front player stay back and keep the other guys heads down. Yes usually the first team to lose a player loses the game but thats just usually who ever said a back guy cant take out 3 guys on his own:D

Kevmaster
01-05-2003, 06:00 PM
spongebob: ive played two 3 man events..one local, one regional. at the reginoal my team palced first in Novice, at the local we placed 2nd in the Am.....so...we do pretty doggon well

EsPo
01-05-2003, 06:17 PM
hehe.. i played 2 three man tournys up at extreme paintball in waterbury (only saying this cause we live in CT), and did not like either one of them, not only was it disorganized, but its just not my type of tourny.... maybe thats cause i suck...i wanna try a 5 man, but i cant find any around here in CT..

boss_automager
01-05-2003, 07:20 PM
I agree with E==magMAN. Normally on three man they'll have one on the right one on the left and one in the middle. If you can get one guy out on the side all you have to do is have your guy go down that side and shoot everyone.

I really recremmend NOT having a back player on a three man concept. Being aggresive is the key to winning in three man and having a back player doesnt accomplish that.Someone said something about going to the fifty, well I tried that one game and got lit up a little bit after getting there,without protection from back players (assuming your not using them) your going to get hit.

SpongeBobSquarePants
01-05-2003, 07:49 PM
Kev-I wasnt saying anything about if youve played or not i just saying that some of the stuff said i wouldnt do but i will try the 3 guys off the break thing.

blnk162
01-05-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by SpongeBobSquarePants
I see most of you don't play 3 mann do you? I play 3 mann a 3 mann tourney at least once a month or so. A 5 man team Firststrike has a field and host rookie 3 mann tournaments. Its not a good idea to have 3 guys sweetspoting of the break. The way i have found to work the best is on the break, have your fastest man go straight for the flag the back person and other front player stay back and keep the other guys heads down. Yes usually the first team to lose a player loses the game but thats just usually who ever said a back guy cant take out 3 guys on his own:D

You sir are an idiot.

Brak
01-05-2003, 09:16 PM
espo the 3 man im talking about is the one in waterbury. was it any good?

athomas
01-06-2003, 03:17 PM
We play mostly 3 man in Atlantic Canada due to the lack of 5 man teams. Cost is prohibitive for most people playing 5 man. At the last tournament there were 48 three-man teams and more that wanted to come and were cut out because of entry limited to only 48.

3 man is completely different from 5 man.

In five man you can and should get at least one person to the 50 at the break to control the field. If you lose a person trying its not the end of the game but strategies change. The field is generally wider in 5 man so you can push up the side if you eliminate the players off one side of the field. Majority of the movement is done by the front players with the back players providing cover for movement.

In three man you have to be agressive at the start but also have to be patient and wait for the break to come, and it will. Patience is a virtue in the 3 man game. When you make an elimination and it becomes 3 on 2, go for the throat. Two guys covering and one guy to bunker. If he gets eliminated in the process of taking out one of the other players then you still have a two on one to bunker the next guy and win the game.

All three guys should proceed to the farthest safe bunker at the start of the game. Don't proceed too far forward unless the other guys on the team can provide support for your location. Don't take unneccessary risks. From there you should communicate information and put lots of balls downfield onto your opponents bunkers. Watch the tape lines. Observe your own team in case an elimination occurs so you don't expect cover fire that isn't there anymore. Try to get two guys firing on a bunker (one from left and one from right) at any given time while the other player provides general suppression onto the other two opponents. If the suppression fire guy comes under fire have one of the two, usually the center, guys change opponents to put balls back onto the other two and get your suppresion fire back into a position of control. Again, be patient. Most guys will get ansy and want to move out of their bunkers. That is when you will get them. If they hide then that is also when you will get them, because you will be able to advance without them knowing.

Three man can be very rewarding and fun. Its like playing 5-man after the first two guys on each team have been eliminated.