PDA

View Full Version : Polishing the emag?

warpfeedmod
01-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Can you polish/strip the black anno off the battery pack, grip frame and body rail without causing major issues in tolerance between say the grip frame and body rail or the air valve and body rail?

warpfeedmod
01-06-2003, 12:02 PM
awww c'mon all these custom body fabricaters out there on the forums and not one can answer the question?

athomas
01-06-2003, 02:07 PM
You can strip annodizing off any aluminum surface using common acid solutions such as muric acid. Oven cleaner will work. The annodize layer is very thin so tolerence issues are not a major concern. Once the annodize is removed you can polish the aluminum. Be careful here. Once the aluminum is in raw form it is softer and can be over polished which can cause too much aluminum to be removed in the process. Use a 1500 grit sandpaper to polish aluminum. Don't use a polishing compound if you are planning to reannodize the gun as it will cause an inconsistent finish if all the compound isn't completely removed fromt he metal. Raw aluminum will tarnish quickly so you should annodize your finnished product to protect the shine.

John Sosta, AGD Europe
01-06-2003, 02:38 PM
The only way you might affect the tolerances is if you leave the parts in the stripping solution for too long, or if you messed up, and had to strip & re-anodise the parts several times.
We don't recommend stripping & re-anodising the aluminum X-Mag valve, as the internal tolerances, particularly where the o-rings seat, are critical.

warpfeedmod
01-06-2003, 02:38 PM
cool thats the info I was looking for. Thanks!

pito189
01-06-2003, 03:51 PM
Yes you can. Drano crystals work well. It stripped my freak front/back, and then I used mothers mad polish. I also used mothers mag all over the other stripped parts.

warpfeedmod
01-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by pito189
Yes you can. Drano crystals work well. It stripped my freak front/back, and then I used mothers mad polish. I also used mothers mag all over the other stripped parts.

so pito you do reccomend getting it re-annoed then after I strip/polish it?

I was kinda looking for the chrome look without re-anno or getting it plated.

pito189
01-06-2003, 04:12 PM
You could leave it, you would just have to repolish it all the time to keep the chrome look. It gets repetitive in a very short time. You could always get a clear anno I believe they do that.

Here's mine before the powdercoat.

pito189
01-06-2003, 04:14 PM
No here it is. LOL :rolleyes:

warpfeedmod
01-06-2003, 06:53 PM
pito thats' pretty much exactly what i was going for, cept i want to do the battery pack and gripframe,etc..

AcemanPB
01-06-2003, 07:07 PM
I would suggest a silver anno, unless you like polishing alot ;)

eric
01-06-2003, 07:09 PM
Im pretty sure the battery and grip are black, so you cant polish em down to silver, you could get em annoed silver though.

AcemanPB
01-06-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by eric
Im pretty sure the battery and grip are black, so you cant polish em down to silver, you could get em annoed silver though.

I've stripped black anno off several parts and polished them to a nice shine. It works just I would still suggest the anno...